Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Are those bin chickens on the sign?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xanderkish posted:

A lot of people hate using buses to travel in the city. I don't get that, especially since it saves people from having to pay fifteen dollars for day parking :ohdear:
But that means you'll have to rub elbows with poors and blacks, oh the horror!!!

Though in Pittsburgh our bus costs 3.75 back and forth so I can see why people hate riding the bus.

If only we had a T System that could extend all the way to Monroeville :negative:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Shadeoses posted:

Are those bin chickens on the sign?

yes

actually two swans from the territory crest but I prefer your explanation

ffffuck I read the article about that earlier today holy poo poo people who live in Nicholls are terrible

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MissEchelon posted:

ffffuck I read the article about that earlier today holy poo poo people who live in Nicholls are terrible

What did they do?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

xthetenth posted:

What did they do?

Natasha Connell said building public housing close to childcare and schools would represent a safety risk to students and their families.

"I am baffled as to why the government thinks this would be a good idea to put possibly drug addicts, paedophiles and other people with mental disabilities within the same precinct," Mrs Connell wrote.

"We want our kids to have the freedom and security of riding and walking to school and after school or on weekends to visit their mates when they choose. We feel that this development is a blockade and a threat to the lifestyle that we had envisaged for our children."

On Monday, Gold Creek parents and citizens association representatives Michele Justin and Michael Rush criticised the plans, saying it could bring drug use and crime to area while the government had changed the types of residents.

A public meeting also heard concerns about increased traffic and a lack of car parking.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

prefect posted:

Natasha Connell said building public housing close to childcare and schools would represent a safety risk to students and their families.

"I am baffled as to why the government thinks this would be a good idea to put possibly drug addicts, paedophiles and other people with mental disabilities within the same precinct," Mrs Connell wrote.

"We want our kids to have the freedom and security of riding and walking to school and after school or on weekends to visit their mates when they choose. We feel that this development is a blockade and a threat to the lifestyle that we had envisaged for our children."

On Monday, Gold Creek parents and citizens association representatives Michele Justin and Michael Rush criticised the plans, saying it could bring drug use and crime to area while the government had changed the types of residents.

A public meeting also heard concerns about increased traffic and a lack of car parking.

:negative:

I'll leave alone the most depressing parts of that story (which sadly I know of similar stories close to where I live). Instead I'll say lol at the parking thing, that's like every community meeting I've ever been to is old people complaining about how something could affect "MY parking :argh:"

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

http://noisyroom.net/blog/2015/02/18/the-betrayal-papers-part-i-of-v-under-obama-the-u-s-captured-by-the-muslim-brotherhood/

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:captainpop:

Are these people going to be really disappointed when 2016 passes and nothing special happens, or will it be "(R) crisis narrowly averted / (D) torch has been passed, betrayal still ongoing behind the scenes"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

alnilam posted:

Are these people going to be really disappointed when 2016 passes and nothing special happens, or will it be "(R) crisis narrowly averted / (D) torch has been passed, betrayal still ongoing behind the scenes"

Search your feelings, you know what the answer is.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Poverty as a concept did not exist before 2008, when it was invented by Dark Lord Obama" -- this cartoon apparently???

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sans fart joke, this is already a really tortured metaphor that barely works, but I technically get what he's saying - Obama "created" poverty.

Then the "pull my finger lol" just blows it all apart. He's going to fart on the democrats because he created poverty? He thinks the poor are a joke? He's a goofy but kind of weird uncle (I thought that was Joe Biden though) :confused:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There sure wasn't any poverty before Obama

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

alnilam posted:

An early version of cognitive dissonance theory appeared in Leon Festinger's 1956 book, When Prophecy Fails. This book gives an account of the deepening of cult members' faith following the failure of a cult's prophecy that a UFO landing was imminent. The believers met at a pre-determined place and time, believing they alone would survive the Earth's destruction. The appointed time came and passed without incident. They faced acute cognitive dissonance: had they been the victim of a hoax? Had they donated their worldly possessions in vain? Most members chose to believe something less dissonant to resolve reality not meeting their expectations: they believed that the aliens had given Earth a second chance, and the group was now empowered to spread the word that earth-spoiling must stop. The group dramatically increased their proselytism despite the failed prophecy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

How can this be read any other way than a call to action against poverty?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Buried by a few pages now, but I don't think "Elizabeth Warren is an injun" cartoons will ever not make me angry. Why is this more permissible than giving Obama a nose-bone? Motherfucker. :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LordSaturn posted:

Buried by a few pages now, but I don't think "Elizabeth Warren is an injun" cartoons will ever not make me angry. Why is this more permissible than giving Obama a nose-bone? Motherfucker. :argh:

Because we didn't enslave the American Indians; we just killed them and then swept the remainders up into unoccupied corners. Out of sight, out of mind.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Subterfrugal posted:

How can this be read any other way than a call to action against poverty?

It is a call to action against poverty. Impeach Obama, poverty solved.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

All of the news sources Ramirez trusts most (Investor's Business Daily, Fox News, etc etc etc) only started talking about poverty around 2008, therefore before 2008 there wasn't any poverty to report, simple

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

"OBAMA IS GOD, THE DEOMCRATS ARE HIS ANGELS, AND HE HAS COME TO SAVE CHILDREN FROM POVERTY." - Michael Ramirez.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
PLEASE FART OUT SOME DEBT OBAMA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

"Poverty as a concept did not exist before 2008, when it was invented by Dark Lord Obama" -- this cartoon apparently???

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PiTi9ktVos

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Ha, Joke's on you Rogers! There's a black man and a woman running too, so there! :smug:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

prefect posted:

In other words, it's literally this:

But said in full sincerity.

And also s/America/Australia/g.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

LordSaturn posted:

Meh, she kind of earned that one. As far as anyone can tell, she is precisely 0/32nds Cherokee yet still claimed to be one which may or may not have led to her getting a job at Harvard. (Harvard swears it did not.) Although I'd like to think that dressing her up as the fakest, most stereotypical Indian is making fun of her claims and not Native Americans in general, when we both know that it's both.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lecterns! :argh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is basically my dad. He's smart, so he can't deny that the invasion of Iraq was anything but a disaster at all levels, and he's not delusional enough to believe that a war that was supposed to take six months and cost a few billions but took 7 years and $2 trillion was just fine until Obama ruined everything.

So he rationalizes it by saying Bush's real motive, the democratization of Iraq, was noble and good, and its the Iraqis who are to blame for it all because they wasted the chance that Bush gave them. The only sins we committed were our boundless optimism, generosity, and self-sacrifice that we wasted on the ungrateful.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I really like Rogers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VitalSigns posted:

This is basically my dad. He's smart, so he can't deny that the invasion of Iraq was anything but a disaster at all levels, and he's not delusional enough to believe that a war that was supposed to take six months and cost a few billions but took 7 years and $2 trillion was just fine until Obama ruined everything.

So he rationalizes it by saying Bush's real motive, the democratization of Iraq, was noble and good, and its the Iraqis who are to blame for it all because they wasted the chance that Bush gave them. The only sins we committed were our boundless optimism, generosity, and self-sacrifice that we wasted on the ungrateful.

How does he feel about Thomas Friedman?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

seiferguy posted:

Pretty much EVERYONE was talking about the OJ trial back in '94. Every major trial is nothing compared to that. Casey Anthony, Amanda Knox, and George Zimmerman have nothing on that. I remember as a kid writing in my daily journal about OJ getting acquitted. That was mainly because The Naked Gun was one of my favorite movies and how could ol' Nordberg be such an evil man :(

Yeah, even outside the States it was a big media spectacle. I remember this very well:

also http://www.eeggs.com/items/49611.html

DN3D's shareware version was released only a few months after the OJ verdict so the commentary wasn't any less timely than :tinsley:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

In other words, it's literally this:

But said in full sincerity.

And also s/America/Australia/g.

@ > / :colbert:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Xenoveritas posted:

Although I'd like to think that dressing her up as the fakest, most stereotypical Indian is making fun of her claims and not Native Americans in general, when we both know that it's both.

I think this is the right take. It's possible to do this right:

Although even there, it's probably enough shorthand for Two Bulls and his readers, but I think the comic would benefit from a more explicit 'this poo poo is fake' signal if intended for a wider audience. The difference is that someone like Foden or Ramirez just uses arrows or a big 'ol headdress as visual shorthand for 'Injun' with no further commentary on the appropriation.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Ha, Joke's on you Rogers! There's a black man and a woman running too, so there! :smug:

(Up until we refuse them entry to the first debate)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

During Bush's second term, when wingnut neocons were riding high with bloated Clash of the Civilizations rhetoric, I asked a few I knew whether or not they'd be happy with President Hillary having expanded executive powers that they so wanted Bush to have and use. "No" was always the answer, "but we'll stop that by making sure liberals are never elected."

These idiots really thought they'd have a wingnut/neocon White House forever and ever.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
While hunting for that comic I found this one, which I thought was great:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, even outside the States it was a big media spectacle. I remember this very well:

also http://www.eeggs.com/items/49611.html

DN3D's shareware version was released only a few months after the OJ verdict so the commentary wasn't any less timely than :tinsley:

On a couple of the more eventful days of the OJ trial my elementary school set up TVs in the cafeteria so no one would have to miss a minute. Literally no other news story was treated with that kind of gravity until fuckin 9/11. It was nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

During Bush's second term, when wingnut neocons were riding high with bloated Clash of the Civilizations rhetoric, I asked a few I knew whether or not they'd be happy with President Hillary having expanded executive powers that they so wanted Bush to have and use. "No" was always the answer, "but we'll stop that by making sure liberals are never elected."

These idiots really thought they'd have a wingnut/neocon White House forever and ever.

Yeah. Too bad they were right about the House.

• Locked thread