Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
He outfought them, obviously. It's our Aussie way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They refuse to go near shore because of the spiders.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The sharks came, but this being Australia, the oysters ate them.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Like most things in Australia, Australians are actually poisonous.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Really?

quote:

It would be years before many of the most seriously burned Station fire victims could concern themselves with the third priority of burn care, cosmetic appearance. For them, surgeries to release function-impairing scar contractures would long take precedence over aesthetics. For others who may have a played a role in theStation tragedy, however, priorities were not so constrained.On May 24, 2006, Jack Russell appeared on an episode of TV’s entertainment tabloid Extra. The “news hook” for the story was Russell’s showing off the results of his recent face-lift:

Voiceover: “He’s the lead singer for the ’80s metal band Great White, but for Jack Russell, the past three years have not been great.His life unraveled when a Rhode Island nightclub caught fire during a concert and . . . one hundred lives were lost. . . .

Russell: “My drinking really, really started getting really bad after that.”

Voiceover: “The forty-five-year-old checked into rehab. Now, he’snine months clean and sober and ready for a fresh start.”

Russell: “I’m feeling so good inside. I look in the mirror and it justdoesn’t represent how I feel inside, so I, you know, I thought it was time for a change."

Voiceover: “That change? A face-lift.”

. . .Voiceover: “Four weeks later, check out the results! Before andafter. Jack got the subtle, not-overdone look he wanted. His eyes,more refreshed. Jowls gone, and no more turkey neck!”
Russell: “Most of my friends go, ‘Have you lost weight?’ and I’m like,‘Well, yeah, about ten pounds in the face,’ you know?” [laughs]

Three thousand miles to the east, Joe Kinan began his day. It was difficult for him to line up his newprosthetic ears with the magnets that had beenimplanted under his grafted skin to hold them in place.But he managed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GIuNs8EpM

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got caught in a rip current when I was about 7. I knew how to get out but even swimming parallel tired me out and I kept getting swept further and further out. I was on a boogey board or else I would have drowned. My friend's dad came and got me on his surf board and we wound up having to swim about a mile down the damned beach to get out of the thing. One of the scariest things in my life was trying to swim towards my friends dad for help, exhausted and starting to panic, but seeing him get further and further away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Someone's been reading our thread(s):

http://21creepy-wiki.viralnova.com/creepy-wikipedia-pages/?mb=sga&ts_pid=2&ts_pid=2

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yeah thre's always someone who wants a quick easy buck in making internet lists. Or for e-cred, like that guy in yospos who reposts other people's cats to reddit for karma.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

Nuclear War posted:

Did the oysters scrape you up enough to make you bleed? And if so, this being Australia, why didn't the sharks get you?

The sharks were killed by the jellyfish.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Wedemeyer posted:

Yeah thre's always someone who wants a quick easy buck in making internet lists. Or for e-cred, like that guy in yospos who reposts other people's cats to reddit for karma.
I briefly misread this as "reports other people's cats" and thought, drat, that's some fascist poo poo going on over at Reddit.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Nuclear War posted:

Did the oysters scrape you up enough to make you bleed? And if so, this being Australia, why didn't the sharks get you?

haha, gently caress, I was going to say something about that, but I didn't want to seem like a drama farmer. But yes, bled like a stuck pig, fought off a school of fully grown Great Whites, rocked up on shore, banged a Lowey, drank fifty tinnies and continued on with my 14th birthday party.

Just Australian Things.

Edit: speaking of which, the Dendrocnide Moroides, aka the Gympie Stringer

I dunno, I woulda called 'em Chuzzwazzers!

Wikipedia posted:

Contact with the leaves or twigs causes the hollow, silica-tipped hairs to penetrate the skin. The sting causes an extremely painful stinging sensation that can last for days, weeks, or months, and the injured area becomes covered with small, red spots joining together to form a red, swollen mass. The sting is potent enough to kill humans, dogs, and horses, and is infamously agonizing. Stories tell of horses jumping off cliffs after being stung, and supposedly one Australian officer shot himself to escape the pain of a sting. One man who was slapped in the face and torso with the foliage said, "For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower. ... There's nothing to rival it; it's ten times worse than anything else."

Wiki posted:

The recommended treatment for skin exposure to the hairs is applying diluted hydrochloric acid (1:10) and pulling them out with a hair removal strip.

What a oval office of a plant. Thankfully, they're mostly in Queensland. What most Americans think about Australia (Hot, full of criminals and deadly fauna) is what most Australians think of Queensland.

DPM has a new favorite as of 01:59 on May 13, 2015

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well yeah. That's why it's important to know how these things work.

(from wikipedia)

I've been caught in them a couple of times and it's definitely unnerving, but keep your head and you'll be fine.

Another Australian here, and yeah keeping your head together is key. I got caught in one when I was about 14-15 and tried swimming into it before I even realised what was happening, was just a case of 'head down swimming to shore, pop head up.. hmmn I'm *further away*'
The panic sets in, you're solely focussed on getting back to the beach. I most likely would have continued on like this if a nearby surfer hadn't paddled over literally 6ft away and gone 'dude there's a sandbar right here, just swim to me' Sure enough there was a sandbar there and I could just walk back to the beach in waist deep water.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

unicr0n posted:

Another Australian here, and yeah keeping your head together is key. I got caught in one when I was about 14-15 and tried swimming into it before I even realised what was happening, was just a case of 'head down swimming to shore, pop head up.. hmmn I'm *further away*'
The panic sets in, you're solely focussed on getting back to the beach. I most likely would have continued on like this if a nearby surfer hadn't paddled over literally 6ft away and gone 'dude there's a sandbar right here, just swim to me' Sure enough there was a sandbar there and I could just walk back to the beach in waist deep water.

So you were this close to literally drowning in nature's kiddy pool.

DumbparameciuM posted:

I dunno, I woulda called 'em Chuzzwazzers!

I like how the wiki page notes "The fruit is edible if the stinging hairs that cover it are removed." Some madman looked at this plant that drives animals to kill themselves and thought "Hmm, I wonder if I can eat this thing."

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

If you look closely enough at that picture, you can see a spider web in the bottom of the frame. For the full Australia experience.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

AnonSpore posted:

I like how the wiki page notes "The fruit is edible if the stinging hairs that cover it are removed." Some madman looked at this plant that drives animals to kill themselves and thought "Hmm, I wonder if I can eat this thing."

There's a lot of food out there that arose from some ancient person saying to another ancient person "dude I'll give you a nickel if you eat that"

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

So you were this close to literally drowning in nature's kiddy pool.

Well, most likely they fed it to a farm animal first. Then someone they didnt like.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

BattleMaster posted:

There's a lot of food out there that arose from some ancient person saying to another ancient person "dude I'll give you a nickel if you eat that"

that and "i will literally die if i don't eat something soon"

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got caught in a rip current when I was about 7. I knew how to get out but even swimming parallel tired me out and I kept getting swept further and further out. I was on a boogey board or else I would have drowned. My friend's dad came and got me on his surf board and we wound up having to swim about a mile down the damned beach to get out of the thing. One of the scariest things in my life was trying to swim towards my friends dad for help, exhausted and starting to panic, but seeing him get further and further away.

'sup fellow rip current survivor. :krakken::hf::krakken:

I was swimming out on a beach in California as a kid when looked over and realized that i was further away from land than I expected. We'd actually covered what to do in the cub scouts, so that helped. Basically swam back, sat down on the beach, and went 'nawh gently caress it' to the ocean ever since.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

AnonSpore posted:

I hope LA Beast doesn't find out about this. :ohdear:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

AnonSpore posted:

The recommended treatment for exposure is also charming: "Dump hydrochloric acid on the effected area. It hurts less than the hairs."

Zopotantor posted:

I hope LA Beast doesn't find out about this. :ohdear:

LA BEAST here! Today, I am going to be eating a salad of gympie stinger fruit tossed with half a cup of bullet ants and six tentacles from an irukandji jellyfish. Have a good day!

Edit:

p-hop posted:

Yeah whatever dude, I've had poison ivy before... :nms:

nope
oh dear
this hand looks like it is going to pop

This plant causes you to be sensitive to light. This is not a thing goons need to be concerned about.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 06:25 on May 13, 2015

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

DumbparameciuM posted:

haha, gently caress, I was going to say something about that, but I didn't want to seem like a drama farmer. But yes, bled like a stuck pig, fought off a school of fully grown Great Whites, rocked up on shore, banged a Lowey, drank fifty tinnies and continued on with my 14th birthday party.

Just Australian Things.

Reminds me of a nasty plant we have here in New York state, Giant Hogweed. Our state department of conservation website shows up on Google as the first results, even above the Wikipedia page. I've seen them in person, they're sunflower sized Queen Anne's lace. Like that lovely aussie plant quoted above, you never ever want to touch one.

quote:

Giant hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to ultraviolet rays. Initially, the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as it burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary. Presence of minute amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or even permanent blindness.

nope
oh dear

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

p-hop posted:

Reminds me of a nasty plant we have here in New York state, Giant Hogweed. Our state department of conservation website shows up on Google as the first results, even above the Wikipedia page. I've seen them in person, they're sunflower sized Queen Anne's lace. Like that lovely aussie plant quoted above, you never ever want to touch one.

nope
oh dear

We have that here in Scandinavia too, we call it Giant Bear Claw.

It used to be everywhere because people thought the dried plants looked nice. So they would strap them to the roofs of their cars and bring them home, spreading seeds everyfuckingwhere :doh:

Oh yeah, and it grows up to five meters high and is almost impossible to get rid of once it takes root, since it spreads like crazy.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 07:01 on May 13, 2015

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

We have that here in Scandinavia too, we call it Giant Bear Claw.

It used to be everywhere because people thought the dried plants looked nice. So they would strap them to the roofs of their cars and bring them home, spreading seeds everyfuckingwhere :doh:

Oh yeah, and it grows up to five meters high and is almost impossible to get rid of once it takes root, since it spreads like crazy.

I was out in the woods with some friends when I was 8 and we spotted a stand of 'em and had the brilliant idea of trying to remove them ourselves (the only thing we remembered about them was that they were invasive). Spent the next month looking like a cartoon leper, with bandaged hands, arms and legs, trying to cover the giant oozing blisters from the sun. Fun times.

Another fun plant is the Manchineel.

Wikipedia posted:

The tree and its parts contain strong toxins, some unidentified. Its milky white sap contains phorbol and other skin irritants, producing strong allergic dermatitis.[2] Standing beneath the tree during rain will cause blistering of the skin from mere contact with this liquid (even a small drop of rain with the milky substance in it will cause the skin to blister). Burning the tree may cause blindness if the smoke reaches the eyes.

Winklebottom has a new favorite as of 08:08 on May 13, 2015

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Wasabi the J posted:

Seriously do not listen to that video. I just fell asleep after work and immediately heard the screams.

Haha, yeah I watched that video right before I went to bed.

It kept me awake and unblinking for like an hour in bed. It was all I could think of.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

p-hop posted:

Holy gently caress, that's pretty gnar. I've seen feral cows with some pretty mental blisters from eating Lantana, but god drat.

While we're on a freaky plants tip:

Excoecaria agallocha, aka the Blind Your Eye Mangrove.

Wikipedia posted:

The milky latex of Excoecaria agallocha is very poisonous and powerfully irritant, which is not unusual in milky species of plant in the family Euphorbiaceae. Contact with skin causes irritation and rapid blistering; slight contact with eyes can cause temporary blindness, hence the common names that refer to blindness. Even the generic name is from the Latin for "blinder".

William Bligh in his book "A Voyage to the South Sea" mentioned that he was already aware of this hazard when he embarked on the voyage that ended in the notorious mutiny on the Bounty, having learned of it in 1777 from Captain James Cook during the time that he served as Cook's sailing master. Several of the men that Cook had sent ashore to cut wood had been blinded for a time. He accordingly instructed his men not to cut that type of tree when he sent them ashore in Tahiti to gather wood and water in 1789. It was just as well that he did so, because even the smoke from the burning wood is poisonous and can harm the eyes, so it would not have been useful as fuel.

Even dried and powdered leaves retain the poison and can kill fish very quickly.

If I remember my Aboriginal History lessons (AKA episodes of the Bush Tucker Man, school doesn't teach poo poo about Aboriginal & Torres Straight Islander culture), it's been used as a method for river fishing in the more northern parts of the country where the plant grows. Have one person down river with a net/fish basket while someone else upstream applies the stuff to the water. I should note, Aboriginal peoples use this method for fishing in other parts of the country they just use different plants - acacia and native knotweed, etc etc.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

p-hop posted:

Reminds me of a nasty plant we have here in New York state, Giant Hogweed.

Oh god jesus gently caress this goddamn plant. :smith:

Spent most of a summer a few years ago with a 2" by 3" reddish-black blistering burn mark on my left thigh.

It's literally the Xenomorph from the Alien movies in (giant) plant form.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Comrade Koba posted:

Oh god jesus gently caress this goddamn plant. :smith:

:smith::respek::smith:

I managed to hit a massive patch of this with a strimmer in the height of summer, wearing a singlet and shorts. It must have taken ~2 years for the scars to fade, I was absolutely covered in the poo poo :( on the plus side, I didn't go blind!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

monny posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

I managed to hit a massive patch of this with a strimmer in the height of summer, wearing a singlet and shorts. It must have taken ~2 years for the scars to fade, I was absolutely covered in the poo poo :( on the plus side, I didn't go blind!

Oh, you don't have mirrors in your house?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Wasabi the J posted:

Seriously do not listen to that video. I just fell asleep after work and immediately heard the screams.

Echoing this. I've seen plenty of awful poo poo on the internet, including some of the horror put out by ISIS, and this is far and away one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen or listened to. Holy gently caress.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Oh, you don't have mirrors in your house?

Only stairs.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Freudian posted:

Only stairs.

IF U HAVE STAIRS IN UR HOUSE I WILL PROTECT U <3 <3 <3

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

IF U HAVE STAIRS IN UR HOUSE I WILL PROTECT U <3 <3 <3

please don't shove me down the stairs, pusher bot

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Acne Rain posted:

please don't shove me down the stairs, pusher bot
"The Staircase" by John Templer is the definitive work on staircase safety. Did you know that only recently have we started to consider making stairs not death traps, and that many staircases around us are ludicrously unsafe? There's a brief review in Episode 49 of DisasterCast.

Sex Cop
Mar 22, 2015

You have the right to remain horny.
The last person to see Zebb Quinn alive has been charged in an unrelated double homicide:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/03/17/leicester-man-charged-two-counts-murder/24888031/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

On this day, May 19th, about 235 years ago, from Portland, Maine to New Jersey, a strange darkness filled the sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England%27s_Dark_Day

The sky was already yellow and the sun came up red. By noontime the sky was so dark that roosters crowed, and candles had to be brought out for people to see. People were mighty afraid, some thought the end times had arrived. But there was one person who had the right spirit:

quote:

In Connecticut, a member of the legislature, Abraham Davenport, became most famous for his response to his colleagues' fears that it was the Day of Judgment:

"I am against adjournment. The day of judgment is either approaching, or it is not. If it is not, there is no cause for an adjournment; if it is, I choose to be found doing my duty. I wish therefore that candles may be brought."

The darkness was most likely caused by a forest fire somewhere Ontario, Canada. It didn't dissipate until the middle of the following night. For some reason, people in Pennsylvania didnt report seeing the darkness.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

That case has always puzzled me. There's just so much that points back at the friend, it's staggering he wasn't prime suspect number 1 from the start. (With the caveat that we don't get to see the decisions made in an open case, so just maybe the police were able to dismiss him early on.)

Small addendum - I've recently started listening to the podcast Things They Don't Want You To Know. It has the look and feel of wingnut conspiracy about it but actually does some nice coverage of obscure or under-reported topics.

nonathlon has a new favorite as of 12:36 on May 19, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

outlier posted:

That case has always puzzled me. There's just so much that points back at the friend, it's staggering he wasn't prime suspect number 1 from the start. (With the caveat that we don't get to see the decisions made in an open case, so just maybe the police were able to dismiss him early on.)

In my mind its finally solved because the friend(Owens) has now proven that he's the kind of guy that will straight-up murder people if they have something he wants bad enough. He killed that couple so he could take all the expensive poo poo they had in their house, and he killed Quinn probably because he had a wad of cash to pay for the car they were going to look at. Or he killed Quinn because Quinn bumped into his car and Owens is a psychopath. Either way I find it incredibly unlikely that anybody but Owens did it.

The only mystery left is what the deal was with the puppy and lipstick on Quinns car, but there could be any number of reasons for that. Maybe Owens did some random poo poo to try to throw attention away from himself, if the police are looking for some random serial killer they aren't looking at him. Who knows.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Basebf555 posted:

In my mind its finally solved because the friend(Owens) has now proven that he's the kind of guy that will straight-up murder people if they have something he wants bad enough. He killed that couple so he could take all the expensive poo poo they had in their house, and he killed Quinn probably because he had a wad of cash to pay for the car they were going to look at. Or he killed Quinn because Quinn bumped into his car and Owens is a psychopath. Either way I find it incredibly unlikely that anybody but Owens did it.

The only mystery left is what the deal was with the puppy and lipstick on Quinns car, but there could be any number of reasons for that. Maybe Owens did some random poo poo to try to throw attention away from himself, if the police are looking for some random serial killer they aren't looking at him. Who knows.

Owens also went to an urgent care center with injuries the day after Quinn disappeared. Did no one find that odd before?

I remember hearing about that case when it first was on the news, and I'll always remember it as the puppy murder.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anoia posted:

Owens also went to an urgent care center with injuries the day after Quinn disappeared. Did no one find that odd before?

I remember hearing about that case when it first was on the news, and I'll always remember it as the puppy murder.

The puppy lived though. So, alls well that ends well I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Anoia posted:

He had two car accidents in one day but only sustained injuries in the second one. nothing to see here.