Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Louisgod posted:

It's horrible. And before you call me stupid, I sunk 35 hours into it and beat it a couple weeks ago. The story is dumb as poo poo, the big baddy is boring and his concept of destroying time to save a little girl makes no sense, he has like five opportunities to kill the main characters but doesn't because ???, 80% of the time periods you visit don't have any impact on the story and literally feel like filler and somehow your characters somehow magically know where they're at and what's going on within 8 seconds of being there. The only good things about the game are the music and battle system, oh and the ending because they kill somebody and I said "good". I'm glad you love it though.

I am looking forward to Lightning Returns though anything is better than the turd that is 13-2.

I don't think I care about plot as much as you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As someone who swore off the XIII trilogy after the first game, Lightning Returns is a good game. Yeah the plot is goofy as always, but the game is really open and let's you explore a lot, and the combat is totally rad.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Has this been posted yet?

Qualifying event locations for the Nintendo World Championships

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150519005803/en/#.VVtbzNpVhBe

So...
-8 Best Buys in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, TX and WA.
-13 years old and up only
-First 750 people get a wristband and guaranteed to do a qualifier, anybody else is not guaranteed based on time
-Will be playing NES Remix Championship Mode on the 3DS
-Each regional winner gets to compete in LA, 2 round trip tickets to LA, 2 nights lodging, and a $250 Visa Gift Card.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kaubocks posted:

All digital Wii U is great. I press the home button on my gamepad and it's immediately all "hey man here's the 10 most recent applications you were using, did you want to use one of these?" and I'm like "yeah could you launch wind waker" and the Wii U is like "sure thing boss" and the game launches up as the system powers up.

If anything ever happens to the Wii U and you need a new one you can just call up Nintendo and get your NNID tied to the new console. Not the fastest process and I haven't had to do it myself, but lately I've heard nothing from people but how simple Nintendo handled it on their end.

Also if you're like me and concerned about space, all digital Wii U is great because the Wii U itself is fairly tiny. And it doesn't even need to be hooked up to a TV or monitor to play games.

I love our digital future

wouldn't it take for-loving-ever to redownload all those games for someone w/ crappy rural internet? Not me, asking for a friend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tatsuta Age posted:

wouldn't it take for-loving-ever to redownload all those games for someone w/ crappy rural internet? Not me, asking for a friend

Wouldn't it take for-loving-ever to get new physical copies of games shipped to you for someone living in Antarctica with a burglar problem?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Isn't the ending that she enters the real world and is on a train in France or some poo poo?

It's hard to put into words, but basically *MAJOR Lightning Returns SPOILERS*:

1) The world is destroyed, and EVERYONE except Lightning and Hope die. Lightning has freed their souls, though.
2) God creates a new world, and eats Hope's soul because why not.
3) God offers Lightning a job as the new Goddess of Death. Lightning goes "Sure, why not. I'll start with YOU!".
4) They fight IN SPACE. Every main character + their summons from FFXIII + Hope's mom show up, flying through space like pixies. They help destroy God with the power of friendship and laser beams. Think the final boss fights in FF4/5/6/7/8 but in an expensive cutscene.
5) Noel gets his girlfriend back while Gaius stays in the Nothing together with a couple thousand versions of her.
6) Lightning reunites with her sister. Everyone is happy! Like super happy!
7) Then everyone joins the rest of humanity's souls to be reborn (?) in the new world.
8) Lightning now lives in France.

It's completely bonkers and I love it. I'll take light-hearted silliness over the self-seriousness of FFXIII any day. LR made FFXIII and XIII-2 feel like setup for the punchline that is LR's ending. And I mean that in a positive way.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 19, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Astro7x posted:

So...
-8 Best Buys in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, TX and WA.

Tacoma? TACOMA?

Pfft.

Where's your Redmond pride, Nintendo?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Renoistic posted:

1) The world is destroyed, and EVERYONE except Lightning and Hope die. Lightning has freed their souls, though.
3) God offers Lightning a job as the new Goddess of Death. Lightning goes "Sure, why not. I'll start with YOU!".
4) They fight IN SPACE. Every main character + their summons from FFXIII + Hope's mom show up, flying through space like pixies. They help destroy God with the power of friendship and laser beams.
5) Noel gets his girlfriend back while Gaious stays in the Nothing together with a couple thousand versions of her.
7) Then everyone joins the rest of humanity's souls to be reborn (?) in the new world.

It's completely bonkers and I love it. I'll take light-hearted silliness over the self-seriousness of FFXIII any day.

Sounds like Final Fantasy all right. I love nonsense stories.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Renoistic posted:

4) They fight IN SPACE. Every main character + their summons from FFXIII + Hope's mom show up, flying through space like pixies. They help destroy God with the power of friendship and laser beams. Think the final boss fights in FF4/5/6/7/8 but in an expensive cutscene.
5) Noel gets his girlfriend back while Gaius stays in the Nothing together with a couple thousand versions of her.

It's completely bonkers and I love it. I'll take light-hearted silliness over the self-seriousness of FFXIII any day.

So just to get this straight... you don't actually kill god, they do it for you in a cutscene? Like you don't even fight him/her? What the gently caress?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

It might not really be a surprise but you should spoiler that, man. And you fight him - it's even a pretty hard fight - it's just that they finish him off properly in a cutscene.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I thought everyone hated Hope.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lightning Returns is the best Wii U game

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Raserys posted:

I thought everyone hated Hope.

I heard that he was made a lot worse after the translation and English VA.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Isn't the ending that she enters the real world and is on a train in France or some poo poo?

I'm going to find her.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Astro7x posted:

Qualifying event locations for the Nintendo World Championships

Okay goons I seriously need your help.

Been a Nintendo Fanatic all my life. I've been training for this moment for years. Dr. Mario is where I need assistance.

I know how to play Dr. Mario. I'm pretty good at it. The problem is when I play I use the following mindset:

1) Don't die.
2) Just get rid of the viruses.

But for this competition it is points that matter. I've seen some videos of people who play Dr. Mario and they set up a bunch of pills so that a "chain" occurs and they get a lot of points.

My problem is my head just doesn't "see" how to build up such a combo. I'm really good at Panel de Pon (Super Tetris) (Pokemon Puzzle League) and can make chains and combos in that game, but Dr. Mario I just don't "see" them. My head just doesn't process it.

Is there some sort of "ruleset" I should follow or maybe a tutorial? I guess I'm just thinking too simple. Put colors on top of matching viruses the end.

edit - Is the 3DS Version of Championship Mode the exact same as it is on the Wii U?

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 19, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kaubocks posted:

Lightning Returns is the best Wii U game

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/681990-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/66984066

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I have to say, the Youtube application sucks. Hell, even the embedded browser Wii U sports does a much better work playing the videos without small hiccups. What gives, Google?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Are there any good Youtube apps on the planet? I hate them all. Like 100% of the time going through the device's browser is better. The Wii U's browser is the best Youtube "app" around.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Soo, what's the prognosis on ever getting a good final fantasy again?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Pretty good, if you ignore the fact that it's called Bravery Second.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Renoistic posted:

If it cuts to live action footage for this final scene then this is the greatest video game ending ever.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Are there any good Youtube apps on the planet?

I am inclined to say no. You got serviceable YouTube apps and god awful YouTube apps. That's about it. People just get confused when they experience a serviceable app sometimes by thinking it is good because in comparison to the horrible apps it seems great.

(I am sure there are actual exceptions but I have not used one yet)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

On Wii U? Never.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rexroom posted:

I have to say, the Youtube application sucks. Hell, even the embedded browser Wii U sports does a much better work playing the videos without small hiccups. What gives, Google?

Just ignore it and use the browser, it lets you play a video on the tv while you use the gamepad to look up another one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Louisgod posted:

It's horrible. And before you call me stupid, I sunk 35 hours into it and beat it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lightning Returns was good

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Attack posted:

Lightning Returns was good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol beat me to it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They're all good except 2, 3, 11 and probably some of the spin offs sorry

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i'm trying to think of one reason anyone would use the youtube wii u app when practically 99% of TVs with hdmi have a built in youtube app

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The default YouTube app on my android phone is pretty good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you can even control the youtube app on your tv with the default youtube app on your phone, it's crazy 2015 is hella cool

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

noirstronaut posted:

i'm trying to think of one reason anyone would use the youtube wii u app when practically 99% of TVs with hdmi have a built in youtube app

I like to take the tablet to my kitchen and keep watching stuff while I make food. Then when food is ready I can take it back to the tv. It's cool.

... oh wait you mean the youtube app specifically or just youtube in general?

noirstronaut posted:

you can even control the youtube app on your tv with the default youtube app on your phone, it's crazy 2015 is hella cool

I guess if you buy everything you need brand new right now but when your TV is pre-2009 and your phone is pre-2012, those options don't really exist.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, why should anybody want something better than a lovely slow app built into their Smart TV with no ability to update the software?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, why should anybody want something better than a lovely slow app built into their Smart TV with no ability to update the software?
Yeah, so instead you buy a chromecast and not use the equally bad youtube app on the wii.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I like to take the tablet to my kitchen and keep watching stuff while I make food. Then when food is ready I can take it back to the tv. It's cool.

... oh wait you mean the youtube app specifically or just youtube in general?

I guess if you buy everything you need brand new right now but when your TV is pre-2009 and your phone is pre-2012, those options don't really exist.

Said to noirstronaut, noted for his judicious and frugal purchasing decisions

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

your phone is pre-2012,

loving poorfags

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Chromecasts are $35

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RZA Encryption posted:

Chromecasts are $35

I think they're even cheaper than that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I've got to share a story. It is almost funny. Happened today...

The random number generator in Dr. Mario can ruin you. I had one blue virus left and no other viruses to kill. I kid you not when I say I believe I got TWELVE "[Yellow][Red]" pills in a row. It honestly felt like some kind of deliberate sick joke. I've never seen anything like this before. The odds of that are statistically awful. There are 6 distinct pills and if each pill spawn is independent getting twelve of the exact same pill in a row is 1 in 2,176,782,336. I hope such a thing doesn't happen when I'm at the competition (yes it will) :suicide:

• Locked thread