Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TheReverend posted:

I'm starting a business and I thought about getting a separate phone when I realized all I need is the ability for personal calls to go to my personal number and business calls going to the biz number?

Does anyone recommend any low cost solutions for something like this?

Google Voice. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nimper posted:

Google Voice. Probably.

This is actually what I've been using Google Voice for since it was introduced. I have my number from T-Mobile as my personal number for friends and family, and my GV number I use for business/clients. Works out perfectly since it's all on one phone.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Does anyone know why I am having trouble receiving split text messages? I get the first half with the (1/2) but never get the second (2/2).

Nexus 6, 5.1, T-Mobile

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just came in here to mention they have a 90% off coupon right now:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7864791-90-off-at-xtremeguard-with-no-minimum-order

Just got myself one for $3 w/ free shipping.

I ordered a bunch of these a while back, and they didn't come for weeks. I emailed their CS and they reshipped, with in a couple days I got three identical shipments with four different ones for all my devices. I emailed their CS and they were said "eh, whatever, consider it a gift."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I ordered a bunch of these a while back, and they didn't come for weeks. I emailed their CS and they reshipped, with in a couple days I got three identical shipments with four different ones for all my devices. I emailed their CS and they were said "eh, whatever, consider it a gift."

Not like they are going to pay shipping on something that costs then 25c to make

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
On the Xtremeguard stuff, I'm assuming anything not explicitly marked "tempered glass" is just plastic right? Only one of the phones I looked at had a glass model being sold.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

It's interesting to me that you all hate the menu button. I loved it, and I can't stand having to hunt for a gear or bread crumb or wherever the menu is hidden on every different app. Settings living within an app instead of a hardware button sounds like a good idea, and may very well work better in five years, but until then lovely app developers make settings nigh impossible to find, and I find myself stuck knowing that a menu exists somewhere and yet completely incapable of finding it.

The tab button, on the other hand, is beyond useless to me. I'm sure it serves some, but my use profile means that it's just a 100% wasted hardware button on the face, of which there are a precious three.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
What kind of apps are you strange people using where the settings are even remotely difficult to find?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Wonder Weapon posted:

It's interesting to me that you all hate the menu button.

We also hate physical keyboards! Physicality is bad! :pseudo:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I wish my phone was ethereal. :sigh:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Magog posted:

I wish my phone was ethereal. :sigh:

I wish my imaginary girlfriends weren't :sigh:

Screw menu buttons though. Settings are a lot easier to find and access without. Before you had to mash the menu button in every loving screen in case you had some options there, which often differed from screen to screen.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
:colbert: I like menu button.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nerve posted:

What kind of apps are you strange people using where the settings are even remotely difficult to find?

They're even in the same place in every app, behind the overflow. This is a case of Samsung training users to expect lovely UI.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

They're all using older* Samsung phones that hide the overflow buttons because it has a hardware button, and then think that we are all hunting around for mysterious buttons because they can't see one when actually we're just pressing the really obvious overflow button in the top right of whatever we want to access the settings on.

(* Newer OS versions should always display the overflow even if they have a menu button but I can't remember if it was Samsung who reverted this in a huge gently caress you move.)

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 19, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

nerve posted:

Snapchat. Which is annoying because Snapchat defaults to audible notifications off, vibrate off, turn screen on when message arrives.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Out of curiosity, why did you switch off the S6, what did you switch to, and how did it all work? I just got an S6 on Verizon and while the phone isn't bad per se, it's much less of a "wow upgrade" than from my iPhone 3g to the EVO 4g and from the EVO 4g to the S4. It's a snappy device for sure, but the lack of an SD card slot, the glass back necessitating a case, moving the headphone jack, and switching from a menu to a tab button have all added up to making this a far less enjoyable upgrade than in the past.
I went back to my Nexus 6. I actually went back and forth a couple of times. The S6 is nice but the battery life isn't great, TouchWiz is still TouchWiz (although it is improving), front speakers are way better than one bottom firing speaker, and, after having the N6 for a while, I don't really care for physical navigation buttons anymore.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Snapchat. Which is annoying because Snapchat defaults to audible notifications off, vibrate off, turn screen on when message arrives.

Snapchat's UI makes no sense on any phone OS.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Super Dude posted:

Snapchat's UI makes no sense on any phone OS.

This is the truth. What are those weird face things they recently added next to your contacts' names? They only appear on some of my contacts and I can't figure out any logic to how they're getting there.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is the truth. What are those weird face things they recently added next to your contacts' names? They only appear on some of my contacts and I can't figure out any logic to how they're getting there.

Each face means something like best friends, share a best friend, the flame is how many days you've snapped back in forth in a row, Google it for specifics

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nerve posted:

Each face means something like best friends, share a best friend, the flame is how many days you've snapped back in forth in a row, Google it for specifics

Man, you know you've dropped the ball on UI when you have to search online for a guide.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

nerve posted:

I always thought people sent me those as a message of some sort. I don't use snapchat much.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nerve posted:

My credit union's app has a floating menu button :negative:

Update your poo poo, guys.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

nerve posted:

That's the thing. It is possible to have lovely UI design without the hardware menu button just as you can have a well designed interface using the menu button. The real culprit is lovely designers/developers and not the presence or lack thereof of a hardware button.
Not that it matters now that the button has gone the way of small screens and hardware keyboards.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2015/05/droid-turbo-in-limited-edition-metallic-colors-available-may-28.html?null

Verizon posted:

DROID Turbo in Limited Edition Metallic Colors Available May 28

• Soon to be updated from Android KitKat to Android 5.1 Lollipop
"Soon"

:negative:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Ever since the very first update for my Nexus 6, my phone will never automatically connect to wifi. It errors out every single time, with multiple AP's with a rather unhelpful error message "WiFi Connection Failure." It works just fine if I manually connect.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nerve posted:

Lol. Their logic for what qualifies as a best friend is terrible. Why the hell isn't it a user-definable list?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nerve posted:

Does anyone know why I am having trouble receiving split text messages? I get the first half with the (1/2) but never get the second (2/2).

Nexus 6, 5.1, T-Mobile

I've been getting the 2/2 with the word null at the start and never receive the first half.

Nexus 5, 5.1 T-Mobile

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Texting on T-Mobile lately has been screwed up lately. I've been getting texts hours if not days late as well as the above issues. Kinda lovely.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

They've been saying that since October :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is it actually possible to move app purchases from one account to another? I have a Google Apps account that I'd like to close, and I've plenty of purchases tied to it, which I'd like to move to a regular Gmail account.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

They've been saying that since October :(

Once you get lollipop you will be underwhelmed. Going from a moto x 2013 and then to a Nexus and then back to moto x and then back to Nexus 6 made me realize how dumb it is to worry about phone OS updates.

My Nexus 6 just got 5.1 on Verizon. Not sure if it came out to the poverty networks yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Ever since the very first update for my Nexus 6, my phone will never automatically connect to wifi. It errors out every single time, with multiple AP's with a rather unhelpful error message "WiFi Connection Failure." It works just fine if I manually connect.

Because you're rooted and use Titanium Backup to backup your wifi access points.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LastInLine posted:

Because you're rooted and use Titanium Backup to backup your wifi access points.

Except I didn't. I'm rooted but did not restore anything using Titanium Backup or any other backup app for that matter.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
5.1.1 finally pushed to my N9 today. Now only one of my devices is a bastard child!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Except I didn't. I'm rooted but did not restore anything using Titanium Backup or any other backup app for that matter.

Well, poo poo. That's the only thing I've ever heard that causes that. Rename /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf with a .bak and reboot. It should recreate the wifi list and work. If it fucks everything up reverse the process.

e: Fixed the filename, sorry. I was posting from the bar at the time.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 20, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it actually possible to move app purchases from one account to another? I have a Google Apps account that I'd like to close, and I've plenty of purchases tied to it, which I'd like to move to a regular Gmail account.
I doubt that's ever going to happen. Do let me know if I'm wrong though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rastor posted:

I doubt that's ever going to happen. Do let me know if I'm wrong though.
I guess I'll just change the MX entries on my domain and hope that the Google Apps accounts won't get shutdown for inactivity or some poo poo like that (I can see Google go "what, no mails or even spam the last six months? THIS CANNOT STAND!").

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I'll just change the MX entries on my domain and hope that the Google Apps accounts won't get shutdown for inactivity or some poo poo like that (I can see Google go "what, no mails or even spam the last six months? THIS CANNOT STAND!").

IDK if Google Apps accounts are different for some reason but I've had forgotten gmail accounts that I rediscovered after years.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Magog posted:

IDK if Google Apps accounts are different for some reason but I've had forgotten gmail accounts that I rediscovered after years.

The difference is they cost money. I have no idea what google would do to purchases you've made when you stop paying for Apps (it's still a dumb name.) Maybe they'll downgrade you to a regular non-gmail google account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Any of you planning to get the LG G4? Right now im torn between waiting for the next Nexuses (Nexi?), The G4 and the 2015 Moto X.