Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

Marvel has pretty much confirmed, more than once, that there's a new Dr. Strange book coming after Secret Wars. (Presumably, it was originally going to launch earlier, given that the character is on the Avengers NOW! preview art from last year and that every other book represented there has since materialized, AFAIK.)

No Mightygodking, no sale. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While we're on the subject, what are the good Strange minis/runs? I looked in MU and I'm not sure he's had an ongoing in decades.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Strange and Carol had a weird moment in her 2000s solo series. They defeat the villain and they're in a power pose together and they have this "so are we gonna make out or what" thing. Doesn't go anywhere, but this is also the series were Carol sleeps with Wonderman.

Wonderman ; Marvel ladies perpetual sex mistake.

Strange is pretty amusing in New Avengers when Squirrel Girl and Wolverine are talking to each other about their history. He's the focus of the panels as he figures out what they're talking about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Doesn't go anywhere, but this is also the series were Carol sleeps with Wonderman.

Wonderman ; Marvel ladies perpetual sex mistake.

That was due to Bendis.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is Wonderman even around right now? I skipped out on later Bendis Avengers so I didn't read those issues but I haven't seen him in anything in years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is Wonderman even around right now? I skipped out on later Bendis Avengers so I didn't read those issues but I haven't seen him in anything in years.

Last time I saw him he was wholly contained within Rogue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was in Uncanny Avengers and he currently lives in Rogue's mind.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aphrodite posted:

He was in Uncanny Avengers and he currently lives in Rogue's mind.

No, see Rogue was all pissed off and going crazy because he was living in her mind. Then in the newest issue, Rogue is all pissed off and going crazy because some random lackey of The High Evolutionary took him out of her mind.

Wonderman status: unknown.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

He's showing up in some Battleworld stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Wonderman status: unknown.
Known! Dead with everybody else.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Much like Schrodinger's Cat, Wonder Man is both alive and dead and you're better off assuming he's dead anyway, or evil. Sadly Greg Pak can't always be around for him.

zoux posted:

While we're on the subject, what are the good Strange minis/runs? I looked in MU and I'm not sure he's had an ongoing in decades.

Well, The Oath and Triumph and Torment have already mentioned, but I like

Doctor Strange #58-62: The Montesi Forumula. Hannibal King and Blade show up and they team up with Strange to fight Marvel Dracula.
Marvel Premiere #3-14: Excellent Steve Englehart run where Strange fights Shuma-Gorath, who's basically an HP Lovecraft monster, and then meets God through some time travel. The God story put some pressure on Marvel due to its almost blasphemous nature, which caused them to pressure Englehart into printing a retraction. He responded by forging a letter by a Texas Southern Baptist preacher praising the story, which Marvel unwittingly printed and the call for a retraction was dropped.
Strange Tales #110-#157: The Original Run by Lee and Ditko, and mostly just Ditko at the end. Features the first appearances of Eternity, the Living Tribunal, Domammu, and other stalwarts of cosmic marvel. Highlights are 130-146 which Dr Strange begins a massive search for Eternity. As a bonus, Jim Sterenko's Nick Fury is in this too.
Dr Strange(vol 2)#1-2, 4-5: Dr Strange gets almost murdered by Silver Dagger, an ex-catholic cardinal with magic powers, and meets a Agamotto, who's a talking caterpillar.

Some pretty excellent Ditko and Gene Colan art throughout all of them.

But here's a rule of thumb, if it was written before 1994 and Strange doesn't have something like a superhero mask or an eyepatch, it's worth reading. Or if it's by Brian K Vaughan. I'm not going to comment on Strange in various Defenders titles since he's a very different animal in those. His solo stuff I think is far truer to his character.

TNG fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 19, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Is Triumph & Torment not available digitally anywhere? I feel like maybe Comixology is just rebelling against me. Or am I going to have to track down a TPB someplace?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Is Triumph & Torment not available digitally anywhere? I feel like maybe Comixology is just rebelling against me. Or am I going to have to track down a TPB someplace?

I'm not sure if it is digital but there was a printing of it a year or two back so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I'm not sure if it is digital but there was a printing of it a year or two back so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
I saw a whole pile of the new softcovers at the LCBS the other week. Such a good book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It was a Marvel OGN, like God Loves, Man Kills and the Death of Captain Marvel. For some reason Marvel hasn't been as quick to digitize those as they have their back issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It was a Marvel OGN, like God Loves, Man Kills and the Death of Captain Marvel. For some reason Marvel hasn't been as quick to digitize those as they have their back issues.

Both of those are on comixology.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Both of those are on comixology.

Well then I don't know what the issue is

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

God Loves Man Kills is even on Unlimited, I'm pretty sure.

I'll track down the trade then!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Wasn't there a Black Knight preview in Marvel NOW! that implied that he was basically a drug addict and the drug was his sword?
Did anything ever come of that?
VVV Ah, it was Original Sins. Okay. Guess I got my previews mixed up. VVV

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KaosMachina posted:

Wasn't there a Black Knight preview in Marvel NOW! that implied that he was basically a drug addict and the drug was his sword?
Did anything ever come of that?

There was an issue of Original Sins where it talked about him going insane because his sword did that to people. But that probably falls under nobody cares, because that's pretty much what anything involving the Black Knight falls into.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Reading the first few volumes of essential Avengers it shows that the writers would create a character, and just keep pushing him, but it would never do anything. Black Knight felt like some fanfiction character because he'd swoop in and save Cap and the other actual Avengers.

I'm grabbing Deadpools Secret Secret Wars because the preview makes me think its modern Deadpool interacting with Early 80s Marvel, which just sounds amazingly fun.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Hahaha, that's one of the funny things about the Avengers. It seems like it's the proving grounds for various character's concepts to see if they could branch out anywhere. Remember when the Eternals were a thing? Or Triathlon and Silverclaw? Or the lady Captain Britain that Bendis pretty much threw in the trash his first issue?

Oh yeah, and don't ever mention the word Mantis around Steve Englehart.

TNG fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 20, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TNG posted:

Hahaha, that's one of the funny things about the Avengers. It seems like it's the proving grounds for various character's concepts to see if they could branch out anywhere. Remember when the Eternals were a thing? Or Triathlon and Silverclaw? Or the lady Captain Britain that Bendis pretty much threw in the trash his first issue?

Oh yeah, and don't ever mention the word Mantis around Steve Englehart.

I liked Mantis in the Abnett/Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You have to understand, back then Cap was just as "unproven" as any other random character that showed up to befriend the Avengers. They were trying to see who would work and who wouldn't as part of the team or their own ongoing, and that's how a ton of Avengers now considered mainstays got started.

This weird idea of focusing on the "real" Avengers is a very modern one.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

I liked Mantis in the Abnett/Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy.

Indeed, probably because it didn't entirely revolve around the Celestial Madonna saga and Englehart's bizarre fixation with her. She followed him to whatever book he was writing next. I think he's an incredible writer and probably wrote some of the best versions of various characters, but the man needed to shut up about Mantis.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You have to understand, back then Cap was just as "unproven" as any other random character that showed up to befriend the Avengers. They were trying to see who would work and who wouldn't as part of the team or their own ongoing, and that's how a ton of Avengers now considered mainstays got started.

This weird idea of focusing on the "real" Avengers is a very modern one.

I think Lee also wanted to use some of the Timely characters but didn't want the racist/anti communism baggage that went along with 50s Cap. Which is funny because he wrote a few 50's Cap stories.

For as much praise as Lee gets, he would ignore continuity at any point if it suited his purpose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So many tie-ins, so impatient to find out which are worth buying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Same here. There's way too much poo poo going on for me to go blind and buy a ton of poo poo.

(especially I went crazy on the IDW sale)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Lee also wanted to use some of the Timely characters but didn't want the racist/anti communism baggage that went along with 50s Cap. Which is funny because he wrote a few 50's Cap stories.

For as much praise as Lee gets, he would ignore continuity at any point if it suited his purpose.

Knowing Stan Lee he could have just forgot about Commie basher Cap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Once you cut out the writers you don't like, there's a lot fewer tie-ins.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Once you cut out the writers you don't like, there's a lot fewer tie-ins.

I don't recognize most of the names on the ones out today.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked all the set-up of A-Force and Wilson had Miss America down pat...then she got chucked away to be in Gillen's Siege thing at the end :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'll give him praise for that too. Just write good comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got Planet Hulk, Battleworld and Ultimate End.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is Ultimate End poo poo? That's really the only one I think I care about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is Ultimate End poo poo? That's really the only one I think I care about.

I'm not current on Ultimate universe so I dunno if the circumstances that led up to it are laid out in the leadup books or if it's in medias re as gently caress. But it's a lot of talking and set up.

Of the three, Battleworld was the best. It's a two-story anthology comic ala A+X.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 20, 2015

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The most amazing thing about Mantis is how Steve Englehart was so attached to her he kept shoehorning her into books that weren't even at Marvel.

He introduced her on his Avengers run in the 1970s and wrapped up his "celestial madonna" storyline shortly before leaving, but...
Then wrote her into his Justice League of America series as "Willow" when he had beef with Gerry Conway who was Marvel EiC for like six weeks. Then he left comics to move to Europe or write novels or something, one of which apparently features Mantis in a small role.
Then he worked her into one of his creator-owned books.
Then he came back to work for Marvel, got to launch a SIlver Surfer ongoing, and within like four issues Mantis was his love interest. There was apparently editorial pressure to not have Mantis be so prominent in the book, so...
Englehart just had her join the West Coast Avengers, which he was then writing. He quit Surfer not too long after Mantis was written out but then apparently editorial didn't want WCA to focus on her either. So he quit WCA and...
Wrote her into his Fantastic Four run that was going on at the time, where once again he was told he should not have the book focus on Mantis. So he killed her off and quit the book.

Then some other creators used Mantis (in a number of bad stories, including the Crossing) and this naturally really really pissed off Steve Englehart, to the point that I could've sworn that there was an interview where Kurt Busiek stated some of the retcons around Mantis in Avengers Forever were basically done specifically for the benefit of Englehart, in the hopes he would come back to Marvel.

And eventually in 2001 he did! For Avengers: Celestial Quest, a comic book about Mantis (and some Avengers, but mostly Mantis) doing cosmic stuff.

I used to feel bad about making fun of Englehart and his Mantis obsession, but then I started reading old letters/interviews from 1970s fanzines and he was 100% in the bomb-throwing "well you know comic books are 99% made by hacks and most of the people in my field are too stupid to understand what my vision is and that's why I'm going to go be a best-selling world-beating literary author and leave this comics bullshit in the dust, did you know I can't even show Avengers smoking reefer or having sex? It's so much freer in Europe, maybe everyone should move to Europe, but then I guess my old editors at Marvel are too dumb to learn another language! Again, I am better than comic books and will never work in them again after this one last thing! 1974 can't come fast enough!"

Which you know fine, you're young and brash and you grow out of it.

Then I found his official website, which isn't quite the same brand of unalloyed arrogance, but is definitely chock full of "all of my ideas are great, if things weren't great it was some dumbass editor who ruined it, everything should have been better had I not been interfered with" combined with him explicitly taking credit and demanding some sort of compensation/admission that when you get down to it, that without stripmining his ideas they never would have made the 1989 Batman, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, the Captain America films, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Avengers, franchise, all of the DCAU, the 1990s Silver Surfer cartoon, and probably some other stuff.

http://www.steveenglehart.com/Comics/Star-Lord.html

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

tenniseveryone posted:

I liked all the set-up of A-Force and Wilson had Miss America down pat...then she got chucked away to be in Gillen's Siege thing at the end :colbert:

I'm sorry are you complaining about Gillen getting to write more America Chavez?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A-Force and Ultimate End for me. I want the Planet Hulk backup but not the main part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
TRIP REPORT:

A-Force #1: I like the 'idyllic' setup of Arcadia but this is a real intro issue. It'll obviously pick up in a month or two but this one was a little light. The art's nice and strong, the colouring pops nicely, there's only one really stupid Dazzler pose.
Battleworld #1: contains a cool Punisher story and a funny MODOK story. The art on both is great. I think this is the tie-in to pick up, if you're only picking up one; the mini-stories will hopefully be rad through the whole run.
Ultimate End #1: was EXCEPTIONALLY CONFUSING. Kind of starts to make sense in the last two pages. But it's got Hipster Hulk and some fun 616 Spider-Man writing, and a whole lot of real unfortunate faces (my favourite thing!)

• Locked thread