Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Are there any goon curated collections out yet, like the old megapacks for SC4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

vodkat posted:

Are there any goon curated collections out yet, like the old megapacks for SC4?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Okay, here are 400+ parks/buildings/assets. They are generally not poo poo. If you find a building you hate, download nlight's Mod Tools. With that mod enabled you can click on a building to see its asset name, and then look it up and delete it if you want.

A word of warning, I use a ton of recolors for low density residential buildings.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445243236

If you want a collection of mods instead of assets, there's a couple on the same page as that post (and the page before). Not huge megapacks, but some essential mods.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Friction posted:

That looks really cool, do you have a comparison map handy?

Sure! Here's a side-by-side- I'll repost the original image too:

Real Life:

Cities Skylines progress:

Accurately mapping all the 1 way streets in Hamilton will be an utter nightmare.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 19, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poizen Jam posted:

Sure! Here's a side-by-side- I'll repost the original image too:

Real Life:

Cities Skylines progress:

Accurately mapping all the 1 way streets in Hamilton will be an utter nightmare.

How many tiles have you gone through so far? That's probably the best city reconstruction I've seen so far.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I have a full 25 tiles purchased, but not all of it used. The extreme eastern end of the Cities map cuts off just east of the last industrial pier (You can see my regional/intra-city rail transfer in the upper right hand, just barely). I've got about half a tile left to the west that's beyond the screenshot, and about a full strip of 1.5 tiles further south of the Lincoln Alexander Parkway (which is the interchange you can see in the bottom right corner). That lets me include a bit of farm land and the Hamilton airport.

I'd say I'm between a half-to-two-thirds done- but most of the stuff I haven't completed isn't on an easy to make grid so it'll be a bit more time consuming.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
That's pretty impressive. How's traffic working out? Are you using any mods to tweak traffic behavior, or having to deviate from the real-world setup at all?

Also, are you measuring out every single road placement manually? Like figure out road length in meters in Google, then draw out X squares in the game based on your scale factor? I guess the prevalence of uniform grids would make this a lot faster, but it still seems like a hell of a lot of work.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
So has anyone been able to mess around with tunnels yet? Do you place them separately or just build roads and slope them down in to the ground?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jamsque posted:

So has anyone been able to mess around with tunnels yet? Do you place them separately or just build roads and slope them down in to the ground?

They work like inverted bridges. You just slope them into the ground. And, like bridges, they can start and stop at a bunch of different angles so it's possible to have bridges that are more or less parallel to the round that leads into them. They're pretty nice.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Supraluminal posted:

That's pretty impressive. How's traffic working out? Are you using any mods to tweak traffic behavior, or having to deviate from the real-world setup at all?

Also, are you measuring out every single road placement manually? Like figure out road length in meters in Google, then draw out X squares in the game based on your scale factor? I guess the prevalence of uniform grids would make this a lot faster, but it still seems like a hell of a lot of work.

Traffic manager is the only traffic mod I'm using. It's working well enough. I don't have despawning disabled, so I haven't really stress tested the traffic- but it's all flowing rather well. Most of the downtown has been zoned with the appropriate 1 way streets so it all flows well onto King/Main St, which are the 2 big 1 way 6 lane roads running down the middle.

The biggest issue I've noticed is cargo rail- since the scale of industrial zoning is so out of whack in Cities, my industrial zone is massive and has lots of cargo train access. The rail system gets backed up pretty hard as a result.

Another minor issue is, in recreating Mohawk College and McMaster, as well as the various health facilities, I have a massively redundant health care and education system that drains far more money than is necessary. This is a significant drain on my coffers, so I have not been able to lower tax rates as much as I'd like.

Since the patch though my game is throwing a repeated error at me so no more progress til I diagnose.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

They work like inverted bridges. You just slope them into the ground. And, like bridges, they can start and stop at a bunch of different angles so it's possible to have bridges that are more or less parallel to the round that leads into them. They're pretty nice.

So can I build my highways underground and have the onramps emerging from tunnels?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tunnels really help out in hilly terrain. Instead of trying to fiddle with a bride across the highway that's running parallel to the slope you can easily just go underneath with a neat curved tunnel.

So far I've only seen offices conform to corners, and 90 degree corners only.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How do you build the tunnels with the road tool?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lorini posted:

How do you build the tunnels with the road tool?

hit page down

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

So can I build my highways underground and have the onramps emerging from tunnels?

Indeed you can! :science:

Poil posted:

So far I've only seen offices conform to corners, and 90 degree corners only.

I did some HD residential testing:

You can see a couple of corner buildings here. As you say, 90 degrees only; I haven't seen any flatiron stuff and I doubt it's in here given how things seem to be working. This part actually looks halfway decent despite that, I'm pleased to find. One big caveat, though, is that I have no idea how these things look at high levels. And of course this is just one little block.

Plus it looks kind of poo poo on sharp curves.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hmmmm. Something doesn't seem right with these tunnels, the road goes in but doesn't come out. Thanks though, at least I got started.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Can you see traffic in your underground highways? I'm sure it'll show up as red, but can you tell whether it's just a tiny slowdown or a full on traffic jam?

I'm at work or I would check it out myself.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Lorini posted:

Hmmmm. Something doesn't seem right with these tunnels, the road goes in but doesn't come out. Thanks though, at least I got started.

You have to use page up to bring the road back to the surface. Think of it exactly like elevated road.

e: So, click to place start point on surface, page down to enter tunnel, click to place segment end point below ground, page up to exit tunnel, click to place segment end point above ground.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Supraluminal posted:

You have to use page up to bring the road back to the surface. Think of it exactly like elevated road.

e: So, click to place start point on surface, page down to enter tunnel, click to place segment end point below ground, page up to exit tunnel, click to place segment end point above ground.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's really cool they were able to integrate it with the existing building system. I was kind of worried for a while the surface-to-underground transition would be a ploppable structure, the way subways work.

Good job fellas!

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Now to build a subsurface network for hearses and garbage trucks that only surfaces in the isolated alleys behind buildings.

Fun fact: There are parts of Chicago that actually work like this (minus the hearses) but they don't even need to surface most places. Lots of industrial buildings downtown have direct basement access for waste disposal onto the under-roads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those sub level areas of Chicago are also impossibly smelly. Roll up the windows and set your car to recycle air when driving down there.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I heard that garbage trucks can pick up trash some distance away from the road in the game. Maybe it's possible to set up an underground network of trash-mole people?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

captain innocuous posted:

I heard that garbage trucks can pick up trash some distance away from the road in the game. Maybe it's possible to set up an underground network of trash-mole people?

Yeah, this might work for trash since they seem to be kind of proximity-based. Hearses need access to the building entrance though, so they can't be totally segregated.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I feel like I read somewhere that if garbage trucks are given their own elevated road, they'll pick up trash from nearby buildings on the surface. So, I bet it would work.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Now that custom vehicles are in I'm expecting one of you to get cracking on making all of the Fury Road vehicles.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There are also underground access tunnels under European cities that fire and police can use to get to certain places.

Helsinki has a tunnel that originates from the centrql fire station and goes all the way to an old town island that is only reachable by ferry. My step dad used to tell horror stories of old timey firemen driving the ambo with him as a rookie, going 50mph in a tunnel where you folded the mirrors. Cops also used the tunnel.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I feel like the water simulation on European maps must work differently. The water sources are in the same places, at the same heights, yet the water sim on the European version of the map has the rivers bottom out for around a minute every hour while the Boreal version is fine. Sure, whatever.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445636101

Here is the map, though, if anyone wants to gently caress about with European buildings on a non-CO map. Also, for what it's worth, moving sun/sunshafts and 25 tiles all work with the new patch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cephalocidal posted:

Fun fact: There are parts of Chicago that actually work like this (minus the hearses) but they don't even need to surface most places. Lots of industrial buildings downtown have direct basement access for waste disposal onto the under-roads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_utilidor_system

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand
I'm getting a lot of industrial buildings abandoning due to lack of raw materials. Vehicles can access the buildings and traffic is flowing throughout the city. I'm frustrated because I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. If I search online I find people with the same problem but no resolution. There is seldom anything heading to these buildings (on inspecting the building with the route tool). It seems like the game is creating buildings and abandoning them due to lack of raw materials without ever sending any vehicle there. It seems to affect the industrial area in the foreground more than the two in the back right. All areas have cargo stations, connected to a seaport. I don't have a separate loop for internal freight but haven't noticed any congestion on the railways. Any ideas?

I am getting passenger trains backing up at the edge of the map. Was a solution ever found to this? I was hoping the patch might address it.

Paths can't be built underground which is a shame for fans of UK style urinal/subways.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Tommy Calamari posted:

I'm getting a lot of industrial buildings abandoning due to lack of raw materials. Vehicles can access the buildings and traffic is flowing throughout the city. I'm frustrated because I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. If I search online I find people with the same problem but no resolution. There is seldom anything heading to these buildings (on inspecting the building with the route tool). It seems like the game is creating buildings and abandoning them due to lack of raw materials without ever sending any vehicle there. It seems to affect the industrial area in the foreground more than the two in the back right. All areas have cargo stations, connected to a seaport. I don't have a separate loop for internal freight but haven't noticed any congestion on the railways. Any ideas?

I am getting passenger trains backing up at the edge of the map. Was a solution ever found to this? I was hoping the patch might address it.

Paths can't be built underground which is a shame for fans of UK style urinal/subways.

You said you weren't seeing rail congestion, but then you mention trains backing up at the map edges. Is it possible that they're blocking inbound freight trains?

You might try keeping your internal rail network - for freight and passengers both - completely firewalled from the regional network and see if that helps any.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tommy Calamari posted:

I had the same problem with lack of raw materials and posted about it here. I wasn't able to figure out what the problem was. My rail network was segregated and had no congestion, ships were coming in fine, traffic in industrial areas was acceptable and set up in a pretty standard "coffee filter," and so on. This happened on my most recent city but not on previous cities, despite not being set up all that differently. If you figure it out, let me know.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
This update's awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel bad for the suspension of whoever drives through there though.

Hope they don't have any coffee in the cup holder.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's weird that in real life waterfront property is highly sought and expensive but in this game it's poo poo, literally.

Shab posted:

This update's awesome.

Cool. I made an intersection like that earlier today, but not nearly as pretty.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Nice to see that at least some addons survived the update.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Poil posted:

but in this game it's poo poo, literally.

Players of this game do tend to flood the coast lines with poo poo water fairly frequently. I'd be wary.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Shab posted:

This update's awesome.

You seem to have opened a rift in space-time there. Might wanna close that up before eldritch horrors from beyond start loving with your freight traffic.

Poil posted:

It's weird that in real life waterfront property is highly sought and expensive but in this game it's poo poo, literally.

This is an ongoing source of irritation for me. Waterfront, parkside, basically anything at or near an edge of your built-up area has crap value. There has to be a better way to calculate it.

Tommy Calamari posted:

This is too bad, though I guess without relaxed slope requirements it wouldn't have been a real improvement over pedestrian bridges in terms of space savings. I really want a compact pedestrian stair/tunnel access structure so I don't have to have 30-meter-long ramps everywhere I want to cross a drat road.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Poil posted:

Cool. I made an intersection like that earlier today, but not nearly as pretty.

Yeah, it would have been nice if the update included some fixes to weird systems like waterfront property value or death waves. I feel like death waves especially would be pretty easy to fix just by randomizing lifespans a little. Oh well still a solid update.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supraluminal posted:

Indeed you can! :science:

this changes everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
For all you angle grinders out there: Precision Engineering is pretty insane! I'm seeing great things ahead with me making even more insane interchanges now...