Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

zoux posted:

Yeah. Too bad they were right about the House.

And the senate. And all the state legislatures.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The Time Dissolver posted:

On a couple of the more eventful days of the OJ trial my elementary school set up TVs in the cafeteria so no one would have to miss a minute. Literally no other news story was treated with that kind of gravity until fuckin 9/11. It was nuts.

They wheeled a tv into my fifth grade classroom for the verdict.

I suspect that the O.J. trial is the reason that no big trial since then has been broadcast live in its entirety.

Someone could do an effort post on OJ cartoons if they're feeling masochistic and/or sadistic.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Don Draper lived another 40+ years after the end of Mad Men? Well drat, gimme some fuckin' smokes.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
That comic makes no sense, Draper got ripped apart by wolverines at the end of the series. Horsey clearly didn't watch it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Horsey drew this scenario but didn't draw a pair of large breasts? Wow. Maybe Horsey really has changed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Saint Sputnik posted:

That comic makes no sense, Draper got ripped apart by wolverines at the end of the series. Horsey clearly didn't watch it.
Stop making me want to watch the last season!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bors made exactly the Waco biker-gang-war comic you'd expect him to

Eh he made basically this exact same comic except about investment bankers shortly after Trayvon Martin was killed

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
"Harmless home brewers" is great, you're just being tetchy

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Harmless home brewers? Don't you mean morphine kingpins?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32780624

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

"Harmless home brewers" is great, you're just being tetchy

agreed, this is very funny. i'm more forgiving of cartoonists reusing concepts if they at least put effort into making it good/funny, rather than just being lazy like Ramirez and just using different words over the same drawing of the Hindenburg.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mallard Fillmore: Year One (March 6-11, 1995)

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
That Bors is good and it gets the message across. This may shock some goons but cartoons go out to a general audience that neither exhaustively follows the complete output of every cartoonist, nor do they participate in a community that picks over the news to such an extent that these comparisons seem obvious and routine.

In other words, people with non-broken souls read comics too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

loquacius posted:

Bors made exactly the Waco biker-gang-war comic you'd expect him to

Eh he made basically this exact same comic except about investment bankers shortly after Trayvon Martin was killed
Man Daniel Bryan really let himself go ever since he became a farm

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stop making me want to watch the last season!

It was basically boring, meandering and pointless. I don't remember a single highlight and the ending just left me going "what the gently caress." So I've mentally substituted my own headcannon:
Draper - death by wolverines
Pete - death by plane crash
Mustache guy: accidentally swallows, chokes to death on mustache
Peggy: caught up in Scientology sting, 10 years in women's prison where she finally finds herself
Joan: revealed as the real Andy Warhol shooter.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

in mad men, at certain points a man drinks and sleeps with the women, but now what if he were old???? a joke indeed!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Draper lives in Ossining. Death by giant snapping turtle, please.

http://www.ossining.org/cheever.html

quote:

I recently inhaled the Journals of John Cheever. Read these journals and you will meet this man. Not just the sardonic detached observer of the cocktail party set. Yes, the journals verify that he is that. And not just the gentle introspective genius who pours his heart out to the labradors as he empties his nth glass of gin sitting on the porch as a warm summer night drifts to an end. (is that too). But the man who, when a grand and ancient 3 and a half foot snapping turtle dares trample his flower bed, pumps 10 shotgun rounds unceremoniously into its head. Ten. (and remember, this is in Westchester).

Or shotgun. Both are still valid and common.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Given the D&D title change, I'd like to formally re-nominate

Political Cartoons 2015: We tortured some metaphors

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mister Beeg posted:

Mallard Fillmore: Year One (March 6-11, 1995)

Hahah everyone looks so sad about MTV.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

albany academy posted:

agreed, this is very funny. i'm more forgiving of cartoonists reusing concepts if they at least put effort into making it good/funny, rather than just being lazy like Ramirez and just using different words over the same drawing of the Hindenburg.

no, he redraws the Hindenburg each time :psyduck:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Why is the Clinton Foundation a giant geyser of clay? :confused:

4,478 U.S. troops killed by Obama's invention, the war in Iraq.
(Also, if it was truly "free and stable" in the wake of Bush's invasion then surely leaving was the right move?)

Allie has finally realized to stop putting the actual numbers in his cartoons about how Democrats keep making unemployment worse.

That's the worst Obama caricature I've ever seen.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

colonel_korn posted:

Why is the Clinton Foundation a giant geyser of clay? :confused:

IT'S poo poo

Why isn't Obama addressing the unemployment among America's Shades? The Democrats have neglected the Plane of Shadow for long enough!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

colonel_korn posted:

4,478 U.S. troops killed by Obama's invention, the war in Iraq.
(Also, if it was truly "free and stable" in the wake of Bush's invasion then surely leaving was the right move?)
Nothing like limited government than the ability to declare war and send troops to the battlefield

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Person 1 : I will now make a long rear end sentence to describe something bad happening on screen
Person 2 : is this *recently released movie in which bad things happen*
Person 1 : no it actually is *extremely contorted interpretation of current events*. makes u think

Murder every cartoonists. Yes, even those you like.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

colonel_korn posted:

Allie has finally realized to stop putting the actual numbers in his cartoons about how Democrats keep making unemployment worse.

"Unemployment is fake? N... no! It's still real to me dammit!"

quote:

They'll just land and shoot each other :confused:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Allie's crocodile tear bullshit w/r/t unemployment will never not piss me off.

But yeah, Eric, you really really care.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

D.N. Nation posted:

Allie's crocodile tear bullshit w/r/t unemployment will never not piss me off.

But yeah, Eric, you really really care.

(c) 2006

I loving love it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

WitchFetish posted:

Person 1 : I will now make a long rear end sentence to describe something bad happening on screen
Person 1 : no it actually is *extremely contorted interpretation of current events*. makes u think

You can generalize it even further than that and hit even more cartoons

*two people see thing related to pop culture thing*
Person 1: Pop culture thing?
Person 2: No, current events thing.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

(c) 2006

I loving love it.

I love how "blame Bush" was a thing to whine about while he was still President.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mostly I love that he wrote it, what, just a year before the economy boomed right back into the loving dirt.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

loquacius posted:

You can generalize it even further than that and hit even more cartoons

*two people see thing related to pop culture thing*
Person 1: Pop culture thing?
Person 2: No, current events thing.

I dunno, most of the time I manage to tolerate that sort of stuff, but there's something extra lazy in having two character sit in front of a screen and describe what happenings that just is bad enough to get me from chill to slightly annoyed.

At least do something funny once in a while. Like "so this lady goes under the space base with a flamethrower and a M1A1 pulse rifle taped together to save a little girl from a space monstruosity"-"Yeah, Aliens is a pretty good movie"-"Actually I was talking about Obamacare".

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Mostly I love that he wrote it, what, just a year before the economy boomed right back into the loving dirt.

This one's also a classic.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

It's a terrible message, but I do appreciate that it's very well delivered. Allie has terrible opinions, but he is a good cartoonist.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cpt.Americant posted:

It's a terrible message, but I do appreciate that it's very well delivered. Allie has terrible opinions, but he is a good cartoonist.
What?

Please describe, in your own words, what the message is, and the metaphor the cartoon uses to deliver it. I can kinda parse "but the REAL unemployment", but that's only because I'm familiar with Allie.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cpt.Americant posted:

It's been so long since he's made a cartoon with a message that isn't "I dislike the government of Illinois because they are Democrats" that we've kind of lost sight of that

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

no, he redraws the Hindenburg each time :psyduck:

i dont know if this is somehow worse or better

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

RyokoTK posted:

They'll just land and shoot each other :confused:
Nah, these guys have actual SS tattoos. They'll shoot the brown people first.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

albany academy posted:

i dont know if this is somehow worse or better

:lol: if you haven't figured out that Ramirez only cartoons to draw ultra detailed planes, blimps, and boats to his heart's content.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

Man, we JUST got done taking about Charlie Hebdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ah, another addition to the Eric Allie "Unemployed people are sullen husks who stare at their feet in lines all day" canon.

• Locked thread