Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Guide I checked after missing the tether also mentioned fighting in the dark (which kinda makes sense) but I just beat her almost disappointingly fast, no idea if she actually is stronger in the noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I totally beat that dude by using weather on his cards and using power-boosting cards myself. Go starting deck!

It's definitely possible, but you need good draws. I got it eventually but it was unwinnable with the first few hands.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
That Noonwraith was a bitch and a half. Took me a while to figure out the strategy and I had to finish with an almost broken sword. Pretty cool fight and felt very nice to finally kill, then I got murdered by three drowners minutes later. :v: Same for the griffin but I was better prepared for that one.

You guys are talking about finishing moves but I haven't seen any yet. Are they super rare or something? Thought I'd get one for the griffin at least.

Also, uncapping the FPS seems to have fixed my inventory lock bug.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, been waiting 10 minutes now, nothing has changed on the screen other than the text. Still at the exact same "loading" point. Anyone else had this?

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you're playing on the hardest two settings they actually lower your exp gain to make things tougher. You can generally outfight things higher than you though. For the noonwraith, make sure to read the bestiary. You need to get inside your Yrden circle to damage it. When it splits, kill the three images fast and it'll stop regenning.

Also, the crossbow lets you fight underwater, I think.

I didn't have a problem with noonwraith without using Yrden. I just ran in with Quen, smashed repeatedly until Quen broke, ran away for it to regen, then back in for more Quen.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

CJ posted:

Anyone have any experience running this on a 560ti? I was quite happy with how it ran GTA V on low-medium settings despite some stuttering when driving fast, but i dunno this game seems to have a lot of foliage.

The FPS dips during combat on High are below my standards for playability and I really don't want to go through such a gorgeous game on Medium/Low. The PC Building & Parts Picking Megathread recommended a Geforce 970 GTX so I'll probably get the MSI one that comes with a free copy of Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight on Memorial Day, assuming it's on sale.

I'm guessing that on Low/Medium with some tweaks you'll be able to get it running smoothly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's definitely possible, but you need good draws. I got it eventually but it was unwinnable with the first few hands.

Yeah he cleaned my loving clock. I've only bought like two extra cards, though. I came close though - he just outdrew me when we were both out of cards before Round 3. I probably could have beat him if I wanted to keep bashing my head into a wall, but after four losses I just figured I'd come back when I have a real deck.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How should I be fighting the Griffin? I used the atk potions and even had grapeshot bombs, but only managed to win by eating constant amounts of food. Dodging was hard because the monster was so big, and parrying just got me stunned or whatever you call it, so I just wailed on it while blowing through my food supply. Is that how the fights work?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

How should I be fighting the Griffin? I used the atk potions and even had grapeshot bombs, but only managed to win by eating constant amounts of food. Dodging was hard because the monster was so big, and parrying just got me stunned or whatever you call it, so I just wailed on it while blowing through my food supply. Is that how the fights work?

Shoot it with the crossbow when it starts to dive and you'll knock it out of the air, stunning it. If you check the bestiary, you can see what it's weak to as well. I forget which of the signs is especially effective against it, but hybrid oil is the one you'd put on your sword for it.

You could also get the Viper School silver sword from the scavenger hunt

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

There's definitely been a shift in art direction since W2 and to be honest I find the new focus on bright primary colours to be really incongruous with the grimdark and frequently crass setting of The Witcher. It's jarring for a game to touch on super-serious topics like racism and genocide while using a colour palette right out of Super Mario World.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm not sure if loot is randomized in this game or not, but I found a diagram for a really powerful sword on top of a half sunken ship off the coast. The sword requires level 37, and I'm level 5 :wtf:
http://i.imgur.com/qtux3JX.jpgLinked for spoiler

There was no marker or PoI on it, I just swam out there because it looked cool, and it turned out to be a chest hidden on the highest point of it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
How often do you guys see rain ingame? I´m just done with white orchard at about 5 and a half hours of play and haven´t seen rain yet. I´m either bugged or very unlucky.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pigbottom posted:

How often do you guys see rain ingame? I´m just done with white orchard at about 5 and a half hours of play and haven´t seen rain yet. I´m either bugged or very unlucky.

I had a light sprinkling in my game so far. I was more impressed with the wind storm that occurred, though. No rain, but the skies got ominous, and the wind was blowing so hard I could hear trees groaning from the strain.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Contingency Plan posted:

There's definitely been a shift in art direction since W2 and to be honest I find the new focus on bright primary colours to be really incongruous with the grimdark and frequently crass setting of The Witcher. It's jarring for a game to touch on super-serious topics like racism and genocide while using a colour palette right out of Super Mario World.

The world is beautiful, it's humanity which is hideous :aaaaa:

Broken Cog posted:

I'm not sure if loot is randomized in this game or not, but I found a diagram for a really powerful sword on top of a half sunken ship off the coast. The sword requires level 37, and I'm level 5 :wtf:
http://i.imgur.com/qtux3JX.jpgLinked for spoiler

There was no marker or PoI on it, I just swam out there because it looked cool, and it turned out to be a chest hidden on the highest point of it.

Pretty much all of the best loot I've found has been unmarked. It's a pretty cool balance, you go look for the question marks but if you have an eye out you find all kinds of other poo poo along the way.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

omg you guys this gaaaaame

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

If it's the one I'm thinking of I had a level 10(!) drowner camping it and I just gave up until later. Short of arduously kiting it onto shore I don't think there's much you can do.

I killed them with the crossbow. Takes like 4 hits a piece.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This game is rad balls. I will say I feel like the momentum movement kinda makes things janky but otherwise this poo poo is the poo poo.

poo poo!

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Where are you guys getting the crossbow? Have I just not progressed enough?

Is the crossbow Far Cry 4 levels of super good?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think I really understood the world map when I was playing last night. The whole beginning area where you get the contract to kill the Griffyn seems fairly large, but then I got to the Vizima Castle portion, and I think I got confused by the fact that the whole thing is self-contained and not really connected to the rest of the world. Now I'm supposed to go to a new area to track Cirri, and I see it on the map but I can't tell if its just a small town or if I'm about to open up a whole new map. Do these icons for other locations on the map open up other, larger areas or are they all self-contained smaller places like Vizima Castle?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I think I stumbled into a major bug. I am unable to change signs. I tried quitting and restarting the game and still my sign is stuck at Axi. Whenever I choose something else it just reverts to axi.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

The world is beautiful, it's humanity which is hideous :aaaaa:

Elves are jerks, too.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Solartide posted:

You get the crossbow from Vesimir when you go to kill the Griffin.

The crossbow isn't good in all situations, but it's really helpful in some.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Solartide posted:

You get it on the main questline before you fight the gryphon. It doesn't set my world on fire, but you can craft bolts for it and upgrade it with talents so maybe it gets ridiculous.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think I really understood the world map when I was playing last night. The whole beginning area where you get the contract to kill the Griffyn seems fairly large, but then I got to the Vizima Castle portion, and I think I got confused by the fact that the whole thing is self-contained and not really connected to the rest of the world. Now I'm supposed to go to a new area to track Cirri, and I see it on the map but I can't tell if its just a small town or if I'm about to open up a whole new map. Do these icons for other locations on the map open up other, larger areas or are they all self-contained smaller places like Vizima Castle?
Vizima and Kaer Morhen are smaller places, the initial griffon-killing area is a smallish tutorial area, Velen/No Man's Land and the Skellige Islands are much larger open-world maps.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Every side quest in this game is like 3 hours long and it is killing me because I can only stay awake so long before sleeping.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Do we ever get to go to Kaer Morhen? I know it's on the map, but I'm curious what it's use in the game is. Is it a player house?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is Death Wish difficulty "hard but fair" in a dark souls sense, or is it kinda bullshit?

Trying to decide if I want to play through on hard or jump right into ultra hard

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I just went to every ? in the intro area and had just enough gold to craft both Viper swords. So now I'm broke but decked out, son.

EDIT: I also have 6 loving ability points to spend. Goddamn.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is Death Wish difficulty "hard but fair" in a dark souls sense, or is it kinda bullshit?

Trying to decide if I want to play through on hard or jump right into ultra hard

It starts off as kinda bullshit but when you're familiar with the mechanics it's definitely closer to Dark Souls in terms of having to Git Gud. Use whatever consumables you can to even the odds and ration your healing items. It takes a bunch of extra effort but I find it hugely rewarding.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

g0del posted:

Vizima and Kaer Morhen are smaller places, the initial griffon-killing area is a smallish tutorial area, Velen/No Man's Land and the Skellige Islands are much larger open-world maps.

Jesus, so the entire map at the start only represents White Orchard? I thought that alone was pretty drat big and I could have done a lot more exploring if I was a completionist.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

iGestalt posted:

Do we ever get to go to Kaer Morhen? I know it's on the map, but I'm curious what it's use in the game is. Is it a player house?

Basically, Kaer Morhen is like Skyhold. You can recruit your party of followers there including Zoltan, Dandelion, Yennefer, and Triss. Your spymaster is Thaler. You can decorate your castle with various Northern Kingdoms or Nilfgaardian tapestries and windows. You have an outside area that you can either convert to a shrine of melitele, which confers bonuses to sex, or an herb garden for alchemy.

This is all a lie, I have no idea, but I heard it was fully explorable at one point. I hope so.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Basically, Kaer Morhen is like Skyhold. You can recruit your party of followers there including Zoltan, Dandelion, Yennefer, and Triss. Your spymaster is Thaler. You can decorate your castle with various Northern Kingdoms or Nilfgaardian tapestries and windows. You have an outside area that you can either convert to a shrine of melitele, which confers bonuses to sex, or an herb garden for alchemy.

This is all a lie, I have no idea, but I heard it was fully explorable at one point. I hope so.

I hate you a lot.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

I hate you a lot.

Yeah, I want a sex shrine :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's no reason to be hoarding all these dumb crafting materials, is there? I figure money is more important since if I ever need to craft something I can just buy most of the reagents from a vendor. I should probably hold onto the rarer stuff, but I don't really need to carry around 50 bear hides do I? I'm short for cash in the beginning and all this stuff is just taking up space.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

There's no reason to be hoarding all these dumb crafting materials, is there? I figure money is more important since if I ever need to craft something I can just buy most of the reagents from a vendor. I should probably hold onto the rarer stuff, but I don't really need to carry around 50 bear hides do I? I'm short for cash in the beginning and all this stuff is just taking up space.

Keep a few of the more rare things, just in case, but the flowers growing everywhere sure, sell that poo poo

poptart_fairy posted:

It starts off as kinda bullshit but when you're familiar with the mechanics it's definitely closer to Dark Souls in terms of having to Git Gud. Use whatever consumables you can to even the odds and ration your healing items. It takes a bunch of extra effort but I find it hugely rewarding.

Alright, given the esoteric mechanics of the game I think I'll stick to Hard for now and see if I want to double back for a New Game+ later (the plus being "plus agony")

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 19, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do you turn in trophies?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I am very confused. My friend is playing this at the same time, on the same difficulty. We just both went and fought the same enemy to compare, because I am doing WAY less damage than him. Our swords are very close in power, full repaired, both with the right oil, and we have similar talents. An enemy that takes him about 7 hits to drop takes me FORTY TWO. What the gently caress is going on?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Got an adorable white horse that matches my hair. Thanks, random aggressive highwayman!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those who don't have the "World of the Witcher" hardback, get it. Dandelion wrote it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FrancoFish posted:

I am very confused. My friend is playing this at the same time, on the same difficulty. We just both went and fought the same enemy to compare, because I am doing WAY less damage than him. Our swords are very close in power, full repaired, both with the right oil, and we have similar talents. An enemy that takes him about 7 hits to drop takes me FORTY TWO. What the gently caress is going on?

May be a dumb question but are you both using the same attack, aka strong vs light swings?