Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Insonix posted:

"When the time of snow comes, do not eat the yellow snow"

An advice given during loading on the witcher wild hunt. This thread is about to be flooded by the wild hunt's posts. Holy poo poo the detail on everything is insane.

That's a very vague plot spoiler, but has got me so pumped. gently caress yeah Tedd Dereid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've argued, repeatedly, that the Witcher series gets a massive blowjob far disproportionate to its actual quality but I'll cheerfully admit my heart melted a little bit from the note that CDProjekt have inside the game box: they thank you for spending your money on the game despite other options, and hope you'll enjoy it for a long time. :3:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
This is the internet, everything is absolutely amazing or irredeemably terrible with no middle ground.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of, a little thing I think is kinda funny about The Witcher 3 is that they did not fix Geralt's allergy to teeny tiny pratfalls, so if you fall off like a 4 foot ledge you'll basically die. It's just so funny to me that a hardened badass demon slayer has the weakest baby jello knees ever. But the little thing I like about it is not that, hilarious as it is, it's the fact that people are so god drat upset about it. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been replaying the last Tomb Raider game and one thing I like is the enemies are pretty talky. They'll call out stuff to each other and just generally react to what you're doing. This is most evident in the part when you get the grenade launcher and they just freak the gently caress out.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of, a little thing I think is kinda funny about The Witcher 3 is that they did not fix Geralt's allergy to teeny tiny pratfalls, so if you fall off like a 4 foot ledge you'll basically die. It's just so funny to me that a hardened badass demon slayer has the weakest baby jello knees ever. But the little thing I like about it is not that, hilarious as it is, it's the fact that people are so god drat upset about it. :v:

I was playing the tutorial mission where you are racing the kid to the bottom of the tower to get a feel for the movement and camera mechanics, and as a joke I jumped right off the side. He fell several stories to the ground, said "I win", and died.

Being a witcher is supposed to be unusual, so the first village I got to I kept extinguishing and igniting fires with my magicks, thinking people would freak out, but they didn't, until a man happened to walk through a recently extinguished campfire just as I ignited it.

I also like how my horse trampled several people on its way to the stables after I dismounted it.

None of this is sarcastic; it's a pretty cool rear end in a top hat physics game so far.

The Aphasian has a new favorite as of 13:08 on May 19, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

QuietLion posted:

In Metro: Last Light, the Dark One is disguised as a child at one point because of all the humans around. While he's disguised in the decontamination chamber with the Colonel and Khan, the Dark One waves at the soldiers outside and acts surprised and curious when the spray system activates. I originally thought that he was creepy, but after running around with him for awhile, he's kind of adorable. :3:

The Dark One child looks like Bat Boy mated with a squid but he endears himself to you fast. Like when he sees a billboard of people doing people things, like wearing clothes.

"You wear clothes. I want clothes."

*appears several minutes later, in full hobo ensemble*

"Yaaaaay"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just remembered a good bit from Bloodborne. It continues the Souls tradition of Patches being in the game and he even kicks you down a hole.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I always get mildly bugged when a game has you shooting a billion dudes without a good reason for where they all keep coming from, so I love Call of Juarez: Gunslinger's rationale: it's all according to a cowboy telling stories at a bar. Of course he's going to say he shot a billion dudes.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I love shooting robots, particularly when the robots dynamically react to being shot. Like in the arcade game Gunblade N.Y. or L.A. Machineguns, or more recently in Binary Domain. I like when they take cosmetic damage but keep coming, to the point in BD where robots would be crawling towards you with one arm if you didn't finish them off. It's a much better alternative to having normal human enemies who would just tank a bunch of shots and only lose limbs upon death.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LawfulWaffle posted:

I love shooting robots, particularly when the robots dynamically react to being shot. Like in the arcade game Gunblade N.Y. or L.A. Machineguns, or more recently in Binary Domain. I like when they take cosmetic damage but keep coming, to the point in BD where robots would be crawling towards you with one arm if you didn't finish them off. It's a much better alternative to having normal human enemies who would just tank a bunch of shots and only lose limbs upon death.

The loaders in Borderlands 2 are exactly like this.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The loaders in Borderlands 2 are exactly like this.

The Murderbots in Saints Row 4, too. It's actually kind of terrifying the first time you blow one in half and the upper torso just starts rapidly clawing its way across the ground to you.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've been dying a lot in witcher 3 but I don't really mind now because geralt now ragdolls and flops over like a fish. :v: It's better than the canned animation you would get in witcher 2.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

LawfulWaffle posted:

Mass Effect 2 did this, but only for the budget combat robots. It was jarring to see them put in the effort to implement limb damage, advertise it, and then not see it except on the most boring enemies in the game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Play Vanquish. Robots react wildly differently to various bits being shot off, including their IFF systems malfunctioning when they're decapitated and shooting friend and foe alike.

My favorite is when the grunt robots lose their legs or weapon arm, they deliberately overheat their reactor and charge you before they detonate.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Just remembered a good bit from Bloodborne. It continues the Souls tradition of Patches being in the game and he even kicks you down a hole.

Literally just happened to me.
Honestly, knowing this game that was the lesser of two evils when talking about miracles.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Oh poo poo! In the Nightmare Frontier? Is that the rear end in a top hat that booted me?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh poo poo! In the Nightmare Frontier? Is that the rear end in a top hat that booted me?

Yup, good ole Patches. How I hate him!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yup, good ole Patches. How I hate him!

He drives me to drink!

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The Working Joes in Alien: Isolation are the best robots in any recent games I've played. Even when they're throwing you into walls or strangling you to death, they maintain their charming British butler personality. Nothing like the first time I tried to clock one in the back of the skull with a wrench only for it to spin around wildly, catch my next swing in its hand, calmly say "Tut tut." and snap my neck like a piece of dried kindling :stare: The Alien made for some tense moments, but the Joes were scary as gently caress because they were so close to human, but not.

"Don't run. Running causes accidents."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who What Now posted:

He drives me to drink!

At least in Bloodborne he has some kind of comeuppance considering how he's just a head on a giant spider body.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Wild T posted:

The Working Joes in Alien: Isolation are the best robots in any recent games I've played. Even when they're throwing you into walls or strangling you to death, they maintain their charming British butler personality. Nothing like the first time I tried to clock one in the back of the skull with a wrench only for it to spin around wildly, catch my next swing in its hand, calmly say "Tut tut." and snap my neck like a piece of dried kindling :stare: The Alien made for some tense moments, but the Joes were scary as gently caress because they were so close to human, but not.

"Don't run. Running causes accidents."

That's basically the schtick of the protocol droids from System Shock 2. Except they violently explode when they walk up to you.

Also, they are usually stored packaged inside containers, and will randomly burst out of them as you approach.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Ah, that old classic, monster closets storage containers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You're becoming hysterical.

My turn now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

At least in Bloodborne he has some kind of comeuppance considering how he's just a head on a giant spider body.

Also he's a lot easier to kill

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Continuing the gathering storm of Witcher 3 little things: occasionally your horse won't come when you whistle. That's because it's drinking from a trough of water nearby.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

He still gets off pretty well given that every spider in the game is a similarly transformed human. Patches is just such a dick that even eldritch transmogrification can't reduce him.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Play Vanquish. Robots react wildly differently to various bits being shot off, including their IFF systems malfunctioning when they're decapitated and shooting friend and foe alike.

My favorite is when the grunt robots lose their legs or weapon arm, they deliberately overheat their reactor and charge you before they detonate.

Unfortunately, you can't stop them with a melee attack when they're in that state, because you die as soon as they touch you. You either need to take off the last of their health with a weapon, or wait for them to detonate automatically.

I love that even the most basic enemies have something that can catch you off-guard.

That Fucking Sned has a new favorite as of 18:15 on May 20, 2015

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You're becoming hysterical.

Any time the game had me to ANYTHING that involved the Joes - from "pass through Synthetic storage" to "activate the stockroom Joe", I tried really, really hard to not do that thing. It's not the happy butler persona overlay, it's not the difficulty of killing them. It's that I was playing Hard at first, then Nightmare, and those motherfuckers can kill you with a backhand. And they're never truly locked-out/tagged-out.

Except for one, very early in the game, sitting in a storage locker with a big red TAG-OUT sticking out from where its power cables have clearly been unplugged in the neck. That, I liked.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Witcher 3 is a neat game.

Early on you must seek out a witch to talk about someing. You find her house but she's not there. The interior is nicer than the rest of the village and you get to look at everything.
It's all tidy and colorful except the bathtub is covered in cobwebs.

That's because you find a portal that teleport you yo her private magical bathing chamber full of physics defying water and some lovely woodland creatures.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You also get to see some bunnies loving in her magical bathing chamber. :haw:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Phobophilia posted:

That's basically the schtick of the protocol droids from System Shock 2. Except they violently explode when they walk up to you.

Also, they are usually stored packaged inside containers, and will randomly burst out of them as you approach.

Definitely inspired by them (I still think A:I is the closest we'll get to a System Shock 3), but those guys were kind of cute in their own way once you knew how to handle them (gently caress ones that randomly spawn on the other side of bulkheads in Engineering though). Joes ramped it up by giving them an almost-human rubber face and rather than exploding they brutally beat you to death in first-person while being so supportive about the whole thing. It's a great combination of uncanny valley and game mechanics that make them utterly terrifying to deal with.

Then later you meet the industrial class Joes that wear insulated suits to work with the reactor. At this point you've managed to figure out various ways to deal with Joes, usually an EMP and a beatdown or firebombs to melt them. Then out come these guys in goofy rubber costumes that straight-up murder you because everything you're used to no longer does meaningful damage to them. Cue me getting caught and chased, putting multiple shotgun shells into one in a blind panic then getting eaten by the alien that came running because it heard the sound of gunfire and poo poo touching cloth. The late game area directly next to the reactor with the bolt gun and no alien was purely cathartic.

Exit Strategy posted:

And they're never truly locked-out/tagged-out.

Except for one, very early in the game, sitting in a storage locker with a big red TAG-OUT sticking out from where its power cables have clearly been unplugged in the neck. That, I liked.

I love the fact that a game that revolves around a space engineer running around a mostly industrial area made time to reference Lock Out/Tag Out procedures. That's an awesome little thing that I didn't even notice.

Wild T has a new favorite as of 02:57 on May 21, 2015

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

haveblue posted:

Also he's a lot easier to kill

Oh, that's patches? He definitely didn't try to kill me and there was no hole in sight, in or out of his room.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

You also get to see some bunnies loving in her magical bathing chamber. :haw:

Do I have to play anything of Witcher 1 or 2 to enjoy this masterpiece?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

They made this one newbie friendly seeing as previous games were kind of limited in release. The first game was PC only and while the second got a console release too it was only 360, no PS3.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They made this one newbie friendly seeing as previous games were kind of limited in release. The first game was PC only and while the second got a console release too it was only 360, no PS3.

If you want you can catch up on the lore from the surprisingly-good Kotaku article.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Samfucius posted:

Oh, that's patches? He definitely didn't try to kill me and there was no hole in sight, in or out of his room.

He appears in the nightmare frontier as well.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Arx Monolith posted:

I highly recommend you play at least Witcher 2 but it's 100% necessary.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

In Wasteland 2, the skill book for raising hard rear end, basically your ability to scare other people or threaten them into submission, is seemingly r. lee ermey's biography, and the book for being a kiss rear end is called the richard grieco story. Don't know of that one is warranted but it got a chuckle out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The Secret World's new DLC is fantastic for basically being an entire massive thing composed of fun little vignettes. (Spoilers beyond here, but it's irrelevant to the game's actual story.)

The big draw is climbing the tower that acts as the Orochi Group's headquarters--a massive conglomerate that consists of shadowy paranormal takes on real-world companies. Every floor takes things in a fun little direction without really letting it wear on too long. They try to fit in a bit of everything that's been in the game up until then, while trying to do something clever with it.

The best ones are the five stealth floors, though. There's an achievement for clearing them all without taking damage, which would be frustrating if they weren't great:
-Manticore (Lockheed-Martin) are testing automated weapons systems. This includes a lethal obstacle course that they're keeping score on via a whiteboard. One guy was disqualified for cheating.
-Plethron (Monsanto) are 'trying' to develop plants that are resistant to lightning strikes, acid rain, and fire. The labs have come to an agreement that what they're being asked to do is impossible, and have just left lightning towers and flamethrowers going on regular plants while they find the resources to fake a success.
-Sycoil (BP) have somehow unearthed an ancient killer robot that's massacred the entire floor and has started aimlessly patrolling for more targets. Probably the weakest of the stealth floors, but there's some interesting challenge in trying to read the evidence of what happened while trying to avoid robo-death.
-Anansi (Microsoft) employees have hijacked an extremely expensive virtual reality simulator and programmed a Pac-Man knockoff into it. While office memos scold them for it, it's at least better than the porn simulations they were doing before.
-And Faust (H&R, I think; a financial institution of some sort) is... a completely normal office, full of people working too diligently to pay attention to you. It is impossible to actually get caught, or even be in any way harmed, on this floor.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:18 on May 22, 2015