Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I miss Dandelion's old voice actor :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

May be a dumb question but are you both using the same attack, aka strong vs light swings?

Yeah, I didn't put that and regretted it because I knew that'd be the first question.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I miss Dandelion's old voice actor :(

It's the same dude according to IMDB. Maybe he's narrating the story as a super old elf now?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I wonder how bad this chamberlain will be beaten when they find out I've looted the entire castle.

Edit: Werebubbs. :swoon:

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 19, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pylons posted:

It's the same dude according to IMDB. Maybe he's narrating the story as a super old elf now?

Do we know for sure that's Dandelion? It sounds like Vesimir to me. If Dandelion is telling the story though, it would have to be in the future, since he's cleary not with Geralt in the beginning of the game.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Just bought this game on steam and it absolutely fails to launch every time. Black screen flashes and it goes back to the desktop. Apparently the newest drivers released are only for nVidia 4xx cards and up. Meanwhile, my Geforce 260 GTX appears to be too hosed to play the game at all. I feel like an idiot. It sucks, because my card still plays demanding games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and BF4 fairly well, and Witcher 2 ran very well for me. I could have just shelled out 200$ for a new Gfx card and the Witcher 3 in a bundle, instead I'm stuck with a program that doesn't work on steam.

Valve usually doesn't give refunds but...what if the game just doesn't work at all?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pylons posted:

Yeah I guess. He sounds off-puttingly different to me in the narration even being old aside. He calls himself a bard in the first narration so I assumed it's him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FrancoFish posted:

Yeah, I didn't put that and regretted it because I knew that'd be the first question.

I just watched him stream against some wargs, doing about 80 per light hit, which was about 1/3 their HP bar, and his Igni did 100 ish, which was over half. When I fought the same wargs, I was doing the same damage numbers, but the HP bar moved maybe 1/6th. My enemies have WAY more HP, and I am baffled as to why.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

NVIDIA posted:

On average, 10,000 to 40,000 strands of tessellated hair are applied to HairWorks-enhanced models at combat view distances, with up to 60,00 applied to the game's furriest creatures. Up close, when creatures are futilely trying to end Geralt's life, hair counts are cranked up to ensure maximum fidelity, bringing the 40,000 average up to 125,000 in some cases. As they then flee for their lives, hair counts are dynamically scaled back until the enemy is a mere dot in the distance. On Geralt, hair counts average at 30,000, and scale up to 115,000, with around 6,000 hairs just for his beard.

[...]

In action sequences filled with HairWorks-enhanced actors, performance can decrease by a good fifteen to twenty frames per second. For many that will be a bit too expensive; for those who can enable HairWorks, said sequences will be more dynamic and realistic, with hair reacting to movement, attacks, and spells.

Source: NVIDIA tweaking guide. So the HairWorks effects scale up heavily when creatures approach you. Could be part of the reason they're so bad for performance.

Popcornicus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 19, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Yeah I guess. He sounds off-puttingly different to me in the narration even being old aside. He calls himself a bard in the first narration so I assumed it's him.

He's doing his 'Gruff' voice for dramatic effect. He's trying to pick up some chicks who are into the 'gruff voice'

It fits.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Guys, I'm buying a house and all the poo poo that goes along with that so I'm feeling really poor. Should I buy this game now or wait awhile? Gonna play it on a ps4 cause I don't have a PC that can handle it.

As a side note, any one wanna comment on the best video game review site? When I look through all the reviewers on metacritic, whose should I read?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

May be a dumb question but are you both using the same attack, aka strong vs light swings?

Even dumber question: Are you sure you're using the silver sword? I only ask because I've had moments like that, thinking "drat I should really be doing so much more damage here" and then "Oh I'm using steel. :doh: "

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Actually, he says "this bard's tale" which doesn't necessarily indicate he's a bard telling it. Just that it's a story.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^ He also refers to the subject of the story as "my dear friend Geralt".

Pylons posted:

Dandelion is not an elf.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

turtlecrunch posted:

^ He also refers to the subject of the story as "my dear friend Geralt".

Still doesn't mean he's Dandelion. :colbert:

(i'm losing this argument)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Even dumber question: Are you sure you're using the silver sword? I only ask because I've had moments like that, thinking "drat I should really be doing so much more damage here" and then "Oh I'm using steel. :doh: "

We are, yes. I just did more testing, and we are doing literally the same damage numbers to the same mobs, and mine just has way more hp. I even dropped a difficulty to see, and my mobs had less than before, but still WAY more than his. We have both confirmed difficulty settings, so is this a glitch or something?

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
I'm the friend. Here's me playing for testing purposes. Ignore video description and lovely gameplay. Is this right?

http://www.twitch.tv/gishinhomura/b/660729968

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

chaosapiant posted:

Still doesn't mean he's Dandelion. :colbert:

(i'm losing this argument)

If you look up Dandelion's entry in the glossary, it's very obviously written by Dandelion, just like it was previously.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you're playing on the hardest two settings they actually lower your exp gain to make things tougher. You can generally outfight things higher than you though. For the noonwraith, make sure to read the bestiary. You need to get inside your Yrden circle to damage it. When it splits, kill the three images fast and it'll stop regenning.

Also, the crossbow lets you fight underwater, I think.

I guess I didn't notice that part of the bestiary because I ran around trying to get that potion which does +10% dmg. Couldn't find the mats, went back and she was still at half health so I just fought her until I was about to die, ran out, meditated, ran back in.

Seems like a super janky way of doing it. Do bosses and such not regen HP in this game?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gishin posted:

I'm the friend. Here's me playing for testing purposes. Ignore video description and lovely gameplay. Is this right?

FrancoFish posted:

We are, yes. I just did more testing, and we are doing literally the same damage numbers to the same mobs, and mine just has way more hp. I even dropped a difficulty to see, and my mobs had less than before, but still WAY more than his. We have both confirmed difficulty settings, so is this a glitch or something?

I think, THINK, that Necrophages in general are tougher at night.

Also, use your thunderbolt potion.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Gishin posted:

Have you guys tried this across multiple mobs?

It's possible it might be something randomized? Doubtful though

Edit: As in multiple types of mobs

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Hard difficulty, got shitpushed by starting ghouls. Died once and beat them second time round. Died to some drowners near the beach too. Pretty difficult out of the gate.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jewce posted:

Guys, I'm buying a house and all the poo poo that goes along with that so I'm feeling really poor. Should I buy this game now or wait awhile? Gonna play it on a ps4 cause I don't have a PC that can handle it.

As a side note, any one wanna comment on the best video game review site? When I look through all the reviewers on metacritic, whose should I read?

Yah, dont do this. The game will sit untouched. I did this with some other big game (Monster Hunter something something) a week before I bought a house and I haven't touched it since. You will be busy listening for the house to fall apart or whatever ghosts might be living in the basement for the first month during your spare time.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I put a thick makeup on when I'm hunting foul beasts. Oh and they run down thanks to all the sweat and water.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

TescoBag posted:

Have you guys tried this across multiple mobs?

It's possible it might be something randomized? Doubtful though

Edit: As in multiple types of mobs

We checked to make sure we're in the same area.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Innerguard posted:

Hard difficulty, got shitpushed by starting ghouls. Died once and beat them second time round. Died to some drowners near the beach too. Pretty difficult out of the gate.

Once you get a feel for mechanics hard gets a lot smoother. But you can't really underestimate enemies, pretty much anything can drop you and fast if you slip up. It's been feeling good to me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I saved up tons of gold and spent it on a dumb thing. Then I saved up more gold and spent it on another dumb thing. Now I am broke as a joke. But now I have my skill points spent how I wanted in all swordsmanship and I loving rock.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But yeah, is what was shown in my video about the same as it for everyone else on that difficulty?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gishin posted:

But yeah, is what was shown in my video about the same as it for everyone else on that difficulty?

We were fighting the same ghouls, and he was dropping them in 8 hits, me in 42.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aesis posted:

I put a thick makeup on when I'm hunting foul beasts. Oh and they run down thanks to all the sweat and water.

Maybe she's born with it.

Maybe it's celandine.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
meth chic

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FrancoFish posted:

We were fighting the same ghouls, and he was dropping them in 8 hits, me in 42.

Silly question, but same difficulty level?

Crappy Jack posted:

Maybe she's born with it.

Maybe it's celandine.

:golfclap:

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Silly question, but same difficulty level?

Yes. As same as we can make it. Slight variation in gear, shouldn't be that big a difference.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Why are games where you collect flowers always so good?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Gishin posted:

Yes. As same as we can make it. Slight variation in gear, shouldn't be that big a difference.

I'm not sure what else you expect us to say about it at this point. Send your friend your save and see if the same thing happens when he plays it or something. I dunno.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I wish the talent tree tooltips would show all ranks of a talent or failing that, an undo button. Most skills look like flat numerical filler though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Verranicus posted:

I'm not sure what else you expect us to say about it at this point. Send your friend your save and see if the same thing happens when he plays it or something. I dunno.

It was more to see if anybody else was experiencing the same thing, or there was a known explanation.

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010
I haven't played either of the previous Witcher games, but I'm having a lot of fun with this one so far. Played for about five hours last night and stopped after beating the first boss which took me a shameful amount of attempts. I'm playing on Death March, and it seems difficult but not unfair. My one gripe is that I just came from finishing Dark Souls II and the combat in this game is way clunkier. I don't really think it's a fair comparison so it's not too big of a complaint.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
this game really does crash an awful lot :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Do we know for sure that's Dandelion? It sounds like Vesimir to me. If Dandelion is telling the story though, it would have to be in the future, since he's cleary not with Geralt in the beginning of the game.

are you guys talking about the inbetween narration? because that's totally Vesimir. He's not as good a narrator as Dandelion was yeah.