Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Series DD Funding posted:

The paper said they were skeptical a minimum wage increase would significantly boost the economy. In that case, the increased spending demand of minwage workers must be balanced out somewhere else through higher prices. It's basic economics.

If by basic you mean overly simplistic to the point where it's simple enough to be an example used in middle school economics class sure, unfortunately that's not very helpful in explaining actual real world phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

The paper said they were skeptical a minimum wage increase would significantly boost the economy. In that case, the increased spending demand of minwage workers must be balanced out somewhere else through higher prices. It's basic economics.

ah yes basic economics, *pulls statements out of butt, smears around walls, floor*

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i swear every time finishes something with "it's basic economics!" the thing they said is stupid

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Basic bitch economics.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

baw posted:

i swear every time finishes something with "it's basic economics!" the thing they said is stupid

So it's in the same category as starting a sentence with "I'm not racist, but..."?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Alter Ego posted:

So it's in the same category as starting a sentence with "I'm not racist, but..."?
I'm not an economist, but....

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

a shameful boehner posted:

Again, did you even read the article that you linked?

How exactly would "the unaffected worker" be harmed economically from the inflation that you have yet to show actually happens?

Production does not significantly increase. You have a set of workers whos demand increases. What happens to prices, and what happens to other workers?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Bernie Sanders is elected on the promise of giving a $200 xbox one voucher to every goon. However, Microsoft finds they can't produce any more. What happens to the price? (3 points)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is it just me, or is the GOP field kind of... Crowded this year? Like, this has gotta be near historic for how many people are going to be running for a modern, mainstream election, no?

Every time someone else announces, I get slightly excited to drink my way through the debates.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's important to keep in mind that a lot of voters really do consider suffering to be inherently good. You wouldn't really say Puritans voted against their interests when they refused to celebrate Christmas and other such things.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Production does not significantly increase. You have a set of workers whos demand increases. What happens to prices, and what happens to other workers?

1. Businesses see an increase in aggregate demand.
2. Businesses hire more workers to meet the demand.
3. Everyone is better off. Prices may increase, slightly; increased purchasing power from workers allows them to still target businesses offering the most competitive pricing on goods.

"Prices" would only rise if a corresponding good is completely inelastic and supply constrained. The only thing I can think of where that's relevant is housing and only in certain cities.

You're acting like just because people now make a living wage suddenly all goods in a consumer economy become supply constrained. This is not true.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 19, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

2 possibilities: If the worker remains profitable at the new increased wage, the company will still employ them, pay them more, and take less in profit. Since corporate profits are currently high and corporations are holding cash in offshore reserves to avoid taxes, I expect them to be able to pay their workers slightly more.

The second possibility, of course, is the one you want me to say: that a small increase in the wage for a portion of their workers will send the company spiraling into bankruptcy, leaving them no choice but to fire the workers. Instead of, you know, investing slightly more into their productivity to recoup the higher wages or raising prices very slightly.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Cantorsdust posted:

2 possibilities: If the worker remains profitable at the new increased wage, the company will still employ them, pay them more, and take less in profit. Since corporate profits are currently high and corporations are holding cash in offshore reserves to avoid taxes, I expect them to be able to pay their workers slightly more.

The second possibility, of course, is the one you want me to say: that a small increase in the wage for a portion of their workers will send the company spiraling into bankruptcy, leaving them no choice but to fire the workers. Instead of, you know, investing slightly more into their productivity to recoup the higher wages or raising prices very slightly.

I didn't say anything about the companies. The paper said they were skeptical a minwage increase would be stimulating. If companies don't raise production and demand increases, what happens to prices?

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Bernie Sanders is elected on the promise of giving a $200 xbox one voucher to every goon. However, Microsoft finds they can't produce any more. What happens to the price? (3 points)

I didn't realize this was part of Bernie Sanders' platform.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

I didn't say anything about the companies. The paper said they were skeptical a minwage increase would be stimulating. If companies don't raise production and demand increases, what happens to prices?

Prices stay within 1-2% of where they were before the minimum wage increase?

Tell me, what do YOU think happens to prices, since this seems to be the most pressing concern that you hold?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Hey guys I'm gonna make a billion dollars selling my new widget by only making one of them and charging a billion dollars for it brb

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Prices stay within 1-2% of where they were before the minimum wage increase?

Tell me, what do YOU think happens to prices, since this seems to be the most pressing concern that you hold?

Prices increase, and the workers making more than the new minwage are harmed (unless the increase reverberates and lets them get a raise as well).

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
How much do prices increase and for what goods, specifically? How does the increase in those specific goods prices hurt the workers making more than the new minimum wage?

You can't just say "workers making more are harmed". How are they harmed?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

How much do prices increase and for what goods, specifically? How does the increase in those specific goods prices hurt the workers making more than the new minimum wage?

You can't just say "workers making more are harmed". How are they harmed?

The increase in prices means they have less buying power now. As far as the magnitude of the increase, no idea. One study from the minwage thread estimated a $15 minwage would cause Walmart's prices to increase 11%, as one data point.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Can everyone stop replying to the obvious troll? This is the primary thread, take this poo poo somewhere else.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

We really need to institute a rule that you have to post a transcript showing you passed Econ 101 with a C or better before posting about the minimum wage.

ASDF32 will need to post his 5th grade completion certificate as well.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Prices increase, and the workers making more than the new minwage are harmed (unless the increase reverberates and lets them get a raise as well).

This would only happen if they didn't care about losing market share, which typically isn't the case. Again you are tackling this issue using middle school level economic models, this is not how things in the real world work. Where I work when pricing products the #1 concern is always gaining or retaining market share, profit margin is a secondary concern. In most cases if you tried to run a business concerned only about profit margin rather than your competition you aren't going to do very well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hey guys remember when Australia's economy collapsed since their minimum wage is over $16 an hour? I mean it did collapse right? Otherwise Series DD Funding would be talking out of their rear end like a crazy person.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

BougieBitch posted:

Can everyone stop replying to the obvious troll? This is the primary thread, take this poo poo somewhere else.

Gee, if only there were a way to make people stop replying. Maybe by stopping anything they could reply to. Some sort of... posting restriction. But I'm just daydreaming here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hey guys remember when Australia's economy collapsed since their minimum wage is over $16 an hour? I mean it did collapse right? Otherwise Series DD Funding would be talking out of their rear end like a crazy person.

Australia is the butt of the earth, and elected a literal butt, & New Zealand made a nonce their prime minister.

That said anybody saying minimum wage hurts business should be forced to be sent back in time to the Lochner era to rot in the streets.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

We really need to institute a rule that you have to post a transcript showing you passed Econ 101 with a C or better before posting about the minimum wage.

ASDF32 will need to post his 5th grade completion certificate as well.

Econ 101 is still poo poo. They need to have taken intermediate macroeconomics so they can actually explain what an IS/LM model is and things like sticky prices/wages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The increase in prices means they have less buying power now. As far as the magnitude of the increase, no idea. One study from the minwage thread estimated a $15 minwage would cause Walmart's prices to increase 11%, as one data point.

Yeah, but federal minimum wage right now is $7.25, minimum wage workers would more than double their income. If my income doubles and prices only rise 11% my purchasing power is increased, not diminished.

Also, as an aside, the idea that anyone who works hard to provide for themselves, and possibly others, deserves less than $15 an hour is ludicrous and heartless.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
There is an entire thread for bad economics in posting about minimum wage that is active right now!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is it just me, or is the GOP field kind of... Crowded this year? Like, this has gotta be near historic for how many people are going to be running for a modern, mainstream election, no?

Every time someone else announces, I get slightly excited to drink my way through the debates.

The GOP needs a tournament bracket for debates, complete with seeding and everything. It'd be more entertaining the the NCAA tournament.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

axeil posted:

Econ 101 is still poo poo. They need to have taken intermediate macroeconomics so they can actually explain what an IS/LM model is and things like sticky prices/wages.

It is but these idiots posting about the min wage recently have made it abundantly clear they haven't even set foot inside a 101 class.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

America is Something Else Entirely, it's an Exceptional country. You see, studies on mud people outside the USA have no bearing on the true children of God, Americans.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Sure looks like a lot of people are having wayy too much fun reading way too much into everyone else's arguments the past day or so. :shrug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hillary will fix this situation by plunging the country into further deficit spending.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

An Angry Bug posted:

Gee, if only there were a way to make people stop replying. Maybe by stopping anything they could reply to. Some sort of... posting restriction. But I'm just daydreaming here.

I'll vote for whoever makes Fishmech a D&D mod for life.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I mean, dudes not entirely wrong. It's very possible to imagine a situation in which the minimum wage rises but economic growth does not, leading to higher inflation. The simplest and most probable cause would be that workers who saw their real wages increase would, rather than spend that money, turn around and pay off debt or save it. It's not really unheard of - one of the reasons economic growth has been so slow is because of that very fact, people are paying off debt and saving rather than buying poo poo.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

That said, those are both positive outcomes and should be sought after. We're light years away from inflation being a "problem" (idk maybe a lot of hedge fund managers posting itt) for the vast majority of people and I think the market can bear a little more inflation even if Wall Street will be howling about it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

I mean, dudes not entirely wrong. It's very possible to imagine a situation in which the minimum wage rises but economic growth does not, leading to higher inflation. The simplest and most probable cause would be that workers who saw their real wages increase would, rather than spend that money, turn around and pay off debt or save it. It's not really unheard of - one of the reasons economic growth has been so slow is because of that very fact, people are paying off debt and saving rather than buying poo poo.

Wages have stagnated, people aren't saving, they're spending more now or the same as they were before, the prices of everything has gone up especially food.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Wages have stagnated, people aren't saving, they're spending more now or the same as they were before, the prices of everything has gone up especially food.

Wages have stagnated since the 70s, kiddo. People are saving and paying down debt in a way they weren't before 2008. In fact, people are spending a lot less of their income on debt servicing because they don't have as much any more and aren't taking on new debt for a variety of reasons.

http://equitablegrowth.org/news/slicing-dicing-u-s-savings-rate/

http://www.businessinsider.com/debt-service-ratio-for-prior-expansion-2015-4

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

Wages have stagnated since the 70s, kiddo. People are saving and paying down debt in a way they weren't before 2008. In fact, people are spending a lot less of their income on debt servicing because they don't have as much any more and aren't taking on new debt for a variety of reasons.

http://equitablegrowth.org/news/slicing-dicing-u-s-savings-rate/

http://www.businessinsider.com/debt-service-ratio-for-prior-expansion-2015-4

Please stop using loving kiddo, you're not fishmech.

Thank you for the links, further reading ahoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Obviously, the people that aren't doing that are the ones making at or near the median income because they don't have enough money to. It's reasonable to assume, however, that individuals who are currently making minimum wage and living paycheck to paycheck (or not) wouldn't simply start spending more money in order to continue living paycheck to paycheck; they might increase their debt service to free up more money later down the line, they might save more money so they have a cash cushion in case of emergencies, etc. etc.

• Locked thread