Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Any ideas on what to do with liquids causing huge amounts of lag? I am not sure if it's the game trying to calculate flow or what but over time my game has been getting really laggy when I am around any large bodies of liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Silento Boborachi posted:

Any ideas on what to do with liquids causing huge amounts of lag?

Eonwe posted:

put it in my rear end and mouth

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Starbassandmouth: I heard the next playable race will be The Human Centipede.

TheObserver fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 19, 2015

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

I'd put liquids in there but it's already filled with whine. :smuggo:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Any ideas on what to do with liquids causing huge amounts of lag? I am not sure if it's the game trying to calculate flow or what but over time my game has been getting really laggy when I am around any large bodies of liquid.

As far as I can tell there really isn't anything you can do, that's just how water works right now. It's calculating a whole bunch of poo poo all at once when you've got a large pool of it.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
:siren: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :siren:
:siren: I'M PUTTING THE VIDEO GAME INSIDE OF MY rear end in a top hat :siren:
:siren: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :siren:

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

ok done

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

it's in my butt now.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Richard...nooooo

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Thank you Richard.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

E: This post was unnecessarily mean. Sometimes I'm a butt :eng99:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 19, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Supernorn posted:

Thank you Richard.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao at you interpreting what's probably a joke post as something more complicated than that

also calling lowtax 'somewhat famous'

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
supernorn is actually a pretty cool guy

if i were working on a game i think id be a little protective of it too

i actually do like starbound but i kind of do feel like its the same-ish now as it was on release

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

also calling lowtax 'somewhat famous'
He fought Uwe Boll! If that doesn't make you somewhat famous then what will?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Supernorn posted:

Thank you Richard.

You suck and your game is poo poo and the fact you have a SS13 avatar is disgusting since it is a much better game than the piece of shite you produced.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

supernorn needs to post more if it's going to produce more drive-by attempts at tepid burns

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I actually would like supernorn to post again, because I'm seriously interested in knowing if the recent design approach that has been imo focussed on tedium or "challenge" has ever been questioned inside of the dev team, or if that's just what we can expect from now on?

But I also think it's funny that he decided to pop up now instead of when people had serious discussions about the updates and new things instead of poo poo posting so here we are

E: You know what? I was in a confrontational mood and just jumped on the guy which isn't really fair. I'm sorry for that so pls don't leave again supernorn and chat with us. Hell, you can even shoot me a PM if you really don't want to post itt anymore

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 19, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Supernorn posted:

I was posting updates and stuff, but yeah. Honestly, it takes like three seconds to type playstarbound.com into your internet browser, but even easier to endlessly post every day for months about a game you're trying to fool people into believing you're not interested in.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

You suck and your game is poo poo and the fact you have a SS13 avatar is disgusting since it is a much better game than the piece of shite you produced.

he was a dev for SS13 tho

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Supernorn posted:

Thank you Richard.

Lol

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Supernorn posted:

Thank you Richard.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Supernorn posted:

Thank you Richard.

Dick 'Yanka likes the dick

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish starbound was a good game so i could put it in my good game list

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

As far as I can tell there really isn't anything you can do, that's just how water works right now. It's calculating a whole bunch of poo poo all at once when you've got a large pool of it.

This is what I figured, and as a shameless excuse to post pictures, I've been trying to get around it without luck. So here is my ship from awhile ago, filled to the brim with liquids.

Here's the current version, further along, where due to the lag I drained the reactors and the engine, as well as ripping out a lot of the electricity doodads to try and limit the problem. In the process I added a small amount of liquids to the storage tanks.

Result? Even though the amount of liquid itself is much less in the current version, the lag is about the same. The only thing I can think of is that it is not so much calculations within the liquid itself but the surface layer of liquids. Which I don't understand why the first version had such issues since I filled them completely. Unless even when a liquid block has solid blocks around it maybe it still attempts to "flow" into them?

Somewhere there's a joke in this about starbound flowing into a butt.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Please keep your insults and disappointment geared toward the game in this thread, please do not attack other posters, thank you

Somewhere there's a joke in this about starbound flowing into a butt.

Liquids are a complete mystery to me, I wouldn't even know where to begin guessing why it lags like it does. We've had a few posters who have messed with liquids in the past that could maybe tell you more, like dog kisser, but they've moved on to greener pastures.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Remember when just finding planets with a medieval castle housed by robots was cool, so you stole everything and drew satisfaction from just that?

Sometimes a game doesn't have to have progression.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Babe Magnet posted:

We've had a few posters who have messed with liquids in the past that could maybe tell you more, like dog kisser, but they've moved on to greener pastures.

Dead game

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Eonwe posted:

he was a dev for SS13 tho

Well that says it all doesn't it.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Supernorn I have a question for you, is there any likelihood that someone will go through and comment out what all the stuff does? It'd be really nice when people are trying to mod if things were labeled. Or maybe there's already like a wiki or something explaining everything and i'm just too dumb to find it???

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I want Starbound to be good more than I want it to be bad. I don't think it's bad but I don't think it's that good either. It got better in the last update. I hope it gets better again, but more, and quicker. Thanks for reading, god bless.

Michaellaneous posted:

Well that says it all doesn't it.
I don't get what it says.
First you praise it then you find out he helped make it and you're like "well that explains it" and I just don't understand

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I want Starbound to be good more than I want it to be bad. I don't think it's bad but I don't think it's that good either. It got better in the last update. I hope it gets better again, but more, and quicker. Thanks for reading, god bless.

I don't get what it says.
First you praise it then you find out he helped make it and you're like "well that explains it" and I just don't understand

shitposting, Vib. It's called shitposting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magmarashi posted:

Starposting

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

By the standards of this thread it's actually just regular posting.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Vib Rib posted:

Starposting

:vince:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I wish it had been better 16 years ago when I bought it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mutata posted:

I wish it had been better 16 years ago when I bought it.
Actually it's 26 years now

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
who'd have thought a game boy game would come so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

He fought Uwe Boll! If that doesn't make you somewhat famous then what will?

I even saw him live streaming all over the pavement afterward. It was a sad day.

• Locked thread