Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Missed your opportunity, a few weeks ago you could have sent them literal poo poo in a box.

Seriously though that feeling of moving on from a terrible hell-hole is wonderful. Whether you've already :yotj: or not, you made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynagen
Aug 3, 2007
I love a lot of things, just not you.

Okay... So, one of the many contracts I worked on working for this place, the only one I actually originally liked and genuinely liked the other guys in the other office. We were supporting out of warranty hardware since day one on this contract, it's a huge waste of our time and it's a huge call driver getting calls from these people with equipment that isn't even manufactured anymore let alone supported with actual firmware updates. (Netadmins here's your Pro-tip™: No more firmware updates? Ditch it, it's now insecure and shouldn't be in your network topology under ANY circumstance.) Couple months back, we received instruction to cut tickets for out of warranty equipment, awesome, can do with pleasure. Week later, done, all tickets killed, no more coming in, customers pissed but gently caress'em for being cheap netadmins. Fine and dandy for about 2 weeks until we get a ticket pushed down from Tier 2 (other office) with an out of warranty device, and are told to work it. By the time I left the job, the queue was more than half-filled with tickets with equipment that was OOW, and sales was always "negotiating the contract" and hadn't nailed down a time with ANY of the customers to actually get money from them for the support we were providing NOW. We techs knew the customers were taking us for a ride, just talking to the sales reps to get free support until they "signed a contract" that would never happen. No matter how many times we filed complaints on tickets with OOW hardware, they were just flat out ignored, and we were forced to violate our own P&P, then eat poo poo when the ticket went belly up either due to customer's lack of response, or if we had to send it up to Tier 2 who then bitched at us for sending up an OOW ticket. Stupid.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Sad. Sounds like if they had some sensible policies they would have been fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cynagen posted:

I don't think you guys want to hear how awful the place I last worked for was

Yeah, we do.

If only so we can cluck and say "oh, you poor dear", while secretly thinking "feh, that's nothing." Or do it not so secretly and try to top it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cynagen posted:

I don't think you guys want to hear how awful the place I last worked for was, most of what I've read here recently is pretty out there and retarded, but I think I have a challenger.

That's not how this group therapy thread works. Share with us. This is a safe place.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
our network admin just rebooted our core router because about 10% of our VDi's lost connectivity.

Send help.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

our network admin just rebooted our core router because about 10% of our VDi's lost connectivity.

Send help.

Was that just a "let's give it shot" troubleshooting technique?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"take it out back and shoot it" debugging

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

flosofl posted:

Was that just a "let's give it shot" troubleshooting technique?
This was was literally the first thing he did though. Calls started coming in to the help desk about VDI's disconnecting, so the admin got up and walked to the data closet and rebooted the core router. Didn't even bother telling anyone. The help desk guy that ran over to see what was going on when other poo poo went down said the admin was surprised that rebooting the core router would have any effect on anything.

I have absolutely no idea what he thought he was doing. I could ask him what he was thinking, but then he would probably tell and I am not sure I want to try and parse my way through that level of incompetence for something that I am not directly involved with. Especially since he will use technical terms that he only has a tenuous grasp on to start with. Though I may ask, cause its fun watching him try to be condescending when he has no clue what he is talking about.

The worst part is, he has done this before; if I am remembering correctly, the last time it was because our VPN went down.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Sales people have such a pressure on them to actually sell stuff, so they have started to just straight up lie to potential customers in order to make a sale.

That, or they don't have a clue what our product does. And guess who gets the angry tickets later!

This will end well!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just asked my boss if there was any opportunity to move up-to full time since I graduated college. He said probably not full-time, but I'll be able to grab more hours. I work at a small MSP (Boss, another guy, and me) so it's understandable I guess. I feel kinda like a bum graduating school and NOT working full time, but I figure I can use the extra time I'll have to grab a cert or two, then bounce on to bigger and better things.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sham I Am posted:

I could ask him what he was thinking, but then he would probably tell and I am not sure I want to try and parse my way through that level of incompetence for something that I am not directly involved with. Especially since he will use technical terms that he only has a tenuous grasp on to start with. Though I may ask, cause its fun watching him try to be condescending when he has no clue what he is talking about.
This is why video phones and YouTube were invented.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was dispatched on a national contract job because the clients monitoring software detected an outage. I head out to where the equipment is located, which is about a 120 minute drive one way on a good day. I arrive at the facility and determine the cause of the outage.

The building that the equipment was located in was being hauled away on the back of a truck.

That's right, the outage was cause by the building literally no longer existing.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sham I Am posted:

Send help.

:lol:

Not exactly core router level critical, but where I work we support Brocade ADX1000's in customer managed hosting environments. They're buggy as gently caress. I'll give them credit that they work with us very closely to add in feature requests and fix issues. The majority of fixes always result in "Welp, gotta reboot it." when a server won't unbind from a VIP or the SSL certificate profile gets stuck in memory when trying to update a cert.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Tigern posted:

Sales people have such a pressure on them to actually sell stuff, so they have started to just straight up lie to potential customers in order to make a sale.

That, or they don't have a clue what our product does. And guess who gets the angry tickets later!

This will end well!

I work with sales people every day, making presentations and trying to solve their overselling of our abilities.

It does not end well.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just asked my boss if there was any opportunity to move up-to full time since I graduated college. He said probably not full-time, but I'll be able to grab more hours. I work at a small MSP (Boss, another guy, and me) so it's understandable I guess. I feel kinda like a bum graduating school and NOT working full time, but I figure I can use the extra time I'll have to grab a cert or two, then bounce on to bigger and better things.

Is there a reason you aren't trying to move on to bigger and better things now? If your only reason is, "I need some certs first," let me assure you that you'll never really feel like you know "enough" and waiting until you know just a little more or get just one more cert is a pit with no bottom.

You're a college grad, you should be able to find a full time gig. No harm in starting to look now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Fool posted:

I was dispatched on a national contract job because the clients monitoring software detected an outage. I head out to where the equipment is located, which is about a 120 minute drive one way on a good day. I arrive at the facility and determine the cause of the outage.

The building that the equipment was located in was being hauled away on the back of a truck.

That's right, the outage was cause by the building literally no longer existing.
The building was on the truck or the equipment was on the truck?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

The building was on the truck or the equipment was on the truck?

The entire building. To be fair, it was a roughly conex sized structure, but still.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

The Fool posted:

The entire building. To be fair, it was a roughly conex sized structure, but still.
Do you have this fixed yet? We submitted a ticket hours ago, and we still cant connect! How are we supposed to do our jobs if you lazy tech guys won't do yours?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sham I Am posted:

Do you have this fixed yet? We submitted a ticket hours ago, and we still cant connect! How are we supposed to do our jobs if you lazy tech guys won't do yours?

I'm really not understanding the issue here. Isn't this what wireless routers are for? Just hook up a couple of those and you can drive the building around town all day for all I care.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Fool posted:

What would you put in the "physical location" part of the ticket? :ohdear:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm really not understanding the issue here. Isn't this what wireless routers are for? Just hook up a couple of those and you can drive the building around town all day for all I care.

You joke, but the uplink for this equipment is on a cell modem, so if they could maintain power to the building somehow, we may have never noticed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Volmarias posted:

What would you put in the "physical location" part of the ticket? :ohdear:

"Various"

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

The Fool posted:

You joke, but the uplink for this equipment is on a cell modem, so if they could maintain power to the building somehow, we may have never noticed.
hey our computer guy gave me a thingie that powers my phone from my car, cant you just use one of them? We really need to connect!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just missed a call from Microsoft support that went to my Google Voicemail. Google transcribed it as "This is Sherpa from Microsoft Online Support Team, call is in regards to the case where you're having sex. "

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I just missed a call from Microsoft support that went to my Google Voicemail. Google transcribed it as "This is Sherpa from Microsoft Online Support Team, call is in regards to the case where you're having sex. "

Google Voicemail to text will never not be hilarious. I like to think there's a shadowy comedy team at Google that silently kills any improvements to auto-transcription before it can go live.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm not entirely sure this fits here, but I think with all the cloud to butt jokes it's good for a chuckle

ReVault: World's First Wearable Private Cloud

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Our VOIP service provider sent a notification that they couldn't ping our router and do we need help getting it fixed.
3 hours after it went down.
Because we fired their dumbasses 2 weeks ago.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Our VOIP service provider sent a notification that they couldn't ping our router and do we need help getting it fixed.
3 hours after it went down.
Because we fired their dumbasses 2 weeks ago.
Well if you needed any more convincing that it was the right decision...

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

kensei posted:

I'm not entirely sure this fits here, but I think with all the cloud to butt jokes it's good for a chuckle

ReVault: World's First Wearable Private Cloud

That actually seems like a pretty reasonable idea. I'm not stupid enough to back a hardware crowdfunding project, but I could see me using one of those if it pans out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TopherCStone posted:

That actually seems like a pretty reasonable idea. I'm not stupid enough to back a hardware crowdfunding project, but I could see me using one of those if it pans out.

I like the *product* concept, but I'm not sure their logo is entirely thought out. The Raised Fist is usually a symbol of solidarity, unity, and power. It's been most famously used with the Black Power civil rights movement.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

flosofl posted:

I like the *product* concept, but I'm not sure their logo is entirely thought out. The Raised Fist is usually a symbol of solidarity, unity, and power. It's been most famously used with the Black Power civil rights movement.

They're Swedish.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Haquer posted:

They're Swedish.

Something something Zwarte Piet (yes, I know that's the Dutch).

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

First glance made me think of this ...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Prescription Combs posted:

First glance made me think of this ...

Hook grip?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

evol262 posted:

Hook grip?

Gag reflex suppression :v:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

flosofl posted:

I think it's just supposed to be a cute play on their company name, they were probably aware of that

Prescription Combs posted:

Gag reflex suppression :v:

:bigtran:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
An e-mail came in from my team lead. He was looking for a machine and e-mailed everybody asking if they knew where it was, and when he found it he replied from the wrong e-mail. What we got instead was this, typography preserved:

quote:

To Whom it may concern,

The other day a worker from you establishment came here to fix our printer.
He was here for quite a while.
Upon arrival the office immediately began to smell a foul odor of B.O. (body odor).
It was very offensive and made it very hard to concentrate throughout the day.
The smell was so strong some of the guests that were walking by the hallway connected to where his position was mentioned the horrible smell.

Besides the odor being so strong and causing it to be hard for me and others to concentrate on our work, there was one more concerning incidence.
He was using my recycle bin to throw papers in. This is a regular desk recycle bin that needs to be grabbed and papers manually taken out to put in the main locked recycle bin. As I was sitting there he took his toner and shook it out all over the inside of my recycle bin. I did say something to him to the regard of me having to manually grab those papers out to throw, and toner now can get all over my clothes. He did not seem to care, nor did he apologize.
I'm jut glad I was there to see that so I did not get toner all over my white jacket. There was a trash can with a bag liner inside sitting next to the lineless recycle container. That would have been the appropriate place to dispose of the toner. I am not sure why that wasn't used.

That aside the odor is what was very disturbing. I would hope that in the future that gentleman can begin to wear deodorant properly, which will enable everyone to do their job without disruptive and offensive smells that can cause headaches and make it hard to breathe.

Thank you for your time,

Anonymous

My team lead sent that to everyone except the person it was about. To be fair he does have an odor and noise issue - he's been banned from the hospital that I'm stationed at for that very reason. Unfortunately, he's the only person in a position that allows part ordering and serious issue fixing. I've been trying to get into that position for a year now, maybe now's my chance.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If your only plus over this guy is "does not smell" you might have a hard time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Someone didn't get the memo that geeks aren't supposed to be like that now.

I would seriously lose it if one of my coworkers got like that. I might have to resort to violence, it's the only thing those idiots would understand.

• Locked thread