Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Machai posted:

So is this Warframe or TF2?

Sorry should have been more clear it is warframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Shumagorath posted:

That's pretty funny. Tower spam will already make people upset but responding with a single word of nonsense makes it worse in so many ways.

It's easy to get people riled up in online games by simply repeating a mindless phrase periodically, especially if you're doing well and they want to attempt to smack talk. If they're already worked up over the game they want to try to get some satisfaction by yelling insults at whoever beat them, and it just confuses them and robs them of any kind of victory when you refuse to engage.

I absolutely stole the idea from that Garry's Mod video of the dude who keeps saying "hello?" to the angry trapped kid, but I used to run around with a knife in Black Ops II Free-For-All stabbing random people and only saying "enhance" in a deadpan voice, a la Super Troopers. It would get to the point where I would usually get one or two people who would start blowing up every time they heard it, and I'd start singling them out wherever possible and saying "enhance" just as I'd knife them. Zero effort, but it doesn't take much to get people extremely angry in CoD. The best I got was from a guy who ended up quitting during the game and sent me an angry message, which I replied to with nothing but "Enhance?" and a URL to a natural male enhancement product.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Wild T posted:

I absolutely stole the idea from that Garry's Mod video of the dude who keeps saying "hello?" to the angry trapped kid, but I used to run around with a knife in Black Ops II Free-For-All stabbing random people and only saying "enhance" in a deadpan voice, a la Super Troopers. It would get to the point where I would usually get one or two people who would start blowing up every time they heard it, and I'd start singling them out wherever possible and saying "enhance" just as I'd knife them. Zero effort, but it doesn't take much to get people extremely angry in CoD. The best I got was from a guy who ended up quitting during the game and sent me an angry message, which I replied to with nothing but "Enhance?" and a URL to a natural male enhancement product.

I like the elaborate long-con griefing stories like GoonFleet, but this story is brilliant in it's simplicity.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nexus6 posted:

I like the elaborate long-con griefing stories like GoonFleet, but this story is brilliant in it's simplicity.

Occasionally its the simple griefs that are the best. Finding a useless member of your team "sniping" in a corner on COD was best handled by all equipping riot shields and walling them in until you all died. You lost the game, but you can guarantee that the well of rage will flow.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Wild T posted:

It's easy to get people riled up in online games by simply repeating a mindless phrase periodically, especially if you're doing well and they want to attempt to smack talk. If they're already worked up over the game they want to try to get some satisfaction by yelling insults at whoever beat them, and it just confuses them and robs them of any kind of victory when you refuse to engage.

About a month or so ago I was playing matchmaking by myself in CSGO and I landed in a game with a terrible, poo poo-talking enemy team. I was named Skogkatt and there was this one dude who thought he was so great but I continuously dominated him and his team repeatedly, and he would just be talking mad poo poo to me, and everything that he and his team said would be met with a simple "meow" in text chat. Oh my lord, the rage that would erupt from that poor bastard after every time he would die was hysterical, and it would just be compounded even more by me just again and again typing "meow".

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Mash posted:

DayZ: Can I Add You To Facebook?

I play DayZ with a Swede, and those are what he would call stone children, or sten barn, they're pretty easy to gently caress with.

He found a group of swedish youngsters, buddied up with them with the intent of betraying them (he hates swedish people's insistence that they always speak swedish), we went on an adventure for hours to gain their trust, and ended up at the prison island, where we had a dutch guy ambush them as we turned on them from behind.

Still play with them every now and then, they're alright, if culturally weird.

I also was subject to contact info request from nearly a dozen babbling sten barn, but we keep going on adventures and betraying them, so it all works out.

Somehow they haven't figured out that I'm never in sight when the most annoying one dies first.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

McGiggins posted:

I play DayZ with a Swede, and those are what he would call stone children, or sten barn,

I desperately want to know the etymology of this phrase now.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithopedion

This, perhaps.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
As a swede who hates swedes who refuse to use English online I do indeed seek them out to make the annoying shits suffer enough to log out, they're a plague upon online gaming.

Never heard of stenbarn though.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rutkowski posted:

As a swede who hates swedes who refuse to use English online I do indeed seek them out to make the annoying shits suffer enough to log out, they're a plague upon online gaming.

Sounds like someone tried to say stoner kids and missed on the translation.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Rutkowski posted:

swedes who refuse to use English online

Why is this? I have a Swedish friend who I play CS with alot, and he has two Swedish friends that he invites to join us sometimes. One of them is fine and will talk English when I play, but the other one absolutely refuses to talk in English, so either my friend has to sit in the middle translating, or they just jabber on in Swedish and I make do by either talking English to the two who will talk back to me, or when I need to speak to third guy, I just start adding the letter A to the end of any English word in order to say something to them (probably works about 50% of the time)

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 14, 2015

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ahdinko posted:

Why is this? I have a Swedish friend who I play CS with alot, and he has two Swedish friends that he invites to join us sometimes. One of them is fine and will talk English when I play, but the other one absolutely refuses to talk in English, so either my friend has to sit in the middle translating, or they just jabber on in Swedish and I make do by either talking English to the two who will talk back to me, or when I need to speak to third guy, I just start adding the letter A to the end of any English word in order to say something to them (probably works about 50% of the time)

I remember chatting with a Swede once in a hostel who said that he disliked speaking in English (especially with native speakers) because he thought his accent was bad and he sounded stupid. (It wasn't and he didn't, but I couldn't change his mind)

Maybe that's it? Just not wanting to sound like a dweeb in front of their internet friends?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Im swedish and we all get very proud when you americans mention us in pop culture and many wants to impress english-speaking natives by speaking english. So much so that many people who come to sweden never learn swedish because everyone wants to show how good they are at english and how much they know about obama=good, republicans=bad.

Anyway the nerds are just as awful as every other country's nerds so I guess that's why they're being antisocial fucks.

It's soo difficult to move out of your comfort zone and all that.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Ahdinko posted:

I think this is mostly a "THIS IS SWEDEN WHY IS EVERYONE SUPPOSED TO SPEAK ENGLISH THIS IS ARE COUNTRY!!!" that they're extending to the internet? I dont' got a clue though so :shrug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutkowski posted:

as an American I guess im confused because i dont mind when other people speak a different language, because I get that not everyone speaks English

whats up with this line of thought, kind of interesting

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Eonwe posted:

as an American I guess im confused because i dont mind when other people speak a different language, because I get that not everyone speaks English

whats up with this line of thought, kind of interesting

People who are fully capable of speaking English but refusing to do so in an international server annoy me a little. I'm not a native speaker myself by the way.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That attitude extents to just about every country, though. I'm Swedish but prefer playing on NA servers (in team based games) since EU servers are full of people blathering away in Swedish, Danish, Russian, Spanish, Italian, German and whatever even though the majority know English to some extent.

It reminds me of my time studying in Australia. I lived with a bunch of Australians and Norwegians, and as long as there were a majority of Norwegians in the room they would simply ignore everyone else and just speak Norwegian. I understand the language and it still annoyed me to no end.

To be perfectly honest I'm not a big fan of talking while playing, though. Wordless communication like preset commands and tagging in BF is usually good enough for me.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 14, 2015

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Renoistic posted:

It reminds me of my time studying in Australia. I lived with a bunch of Australians and Norwegians, and as long as there were a majority of Norwegians in the room they would simply ignore everyone else and just speak Norwegian.

To be fair that is just universally rude

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Renoistic posted:

To be perfectly honest I'm not a big fan of talking while playing, though. Wordless communication like preset commands and tagging in BF is usually good enough for me.

I prefer talking while playing. Going "left left left LEFT LEFT FOR FUCKS SAKE LEFT YOU PRICK" never gets old.

Also if you drop "oval office" into any chat populated by Americans it's almost as if i've just murdered all their mothers. Pretty much the only reasons I have a mic to be honest.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

dogstile posted:

I prefer talking while playing. Going "left left left LEFT LEFT FOR FUCKS SAKE LEFT YOU PRICK" never gets old.

Also if you drop "oval office" into any chat populated by Americans it's almost as if i've just murdered all their mothers. Pretty much the only reasons I have a mic to be honest.

When most americans hear the word 'oval office' they aren't really offended, its more like "wow look at this britbong trying to be edgy"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

dogstile posted:

When I hear someone say that I turn into a frothing rage resulting in me up-ending my desk and throwing my mouse through my mini-fridge. Oh my goodness does it drive me batty!!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Renoistic posted:

That attitude extents to just about every country, though. I'm Swedish but prefer playing on NA servers (in team based games) since EU servers are full of people blathering away in Swedish, Danish, Russian, Spanish, Italian, German and whatever even though the majority know English to some extent.
Yeah, me too. And in every single game where you can form clans or guilds will have every chat spammed to hell by "<nationality> only" guilds. On American servers people are just as mindbogglingly retarded but at least the vast majority will attempt to communicate through english. It's worth to put up with worse ping for it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I desperately want to know the etymology of this phrase now.

As far as I know, it's idiot, or moron, or some other comparable phrase.

IE: "As dumb as if your head was full of rocks"

It's one of my few know phrases along with söder, fitta, and neger.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My experience with swedes is the exact opposite. It used to be that Swedes, Norwegians, and us Danes could speak a sort of pan-scandinavian, but now everyone switches to English way too loving fast. I refuse. You might say I grief the Swedes by insisting on speaking my Danish trashlanguage at them.

also btw stenbarn is literally a child born of a stone, its swedish slang for norwegian (because of the fjeld/fjell/fjälls)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Generally, people simply like to speak in the language they are comfortable with. I know plenty of people that know English, but not as well as they know their first language and many of them are afraid that you are going to laugh at them if they butcher something in English.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the secret password to the swedish language is knulla kuk

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The secret password to every language is cuck

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Streamer in a WoW Battleground discovers everyone BUT him are apparently using the HonorBuddy bot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHeSHT2ZDnU

EDIT - Aye link UToobe reel gud.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 17, 2015

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
The cloak and dagger was my favorite grief item in TF2.

In 2fort where there's always an engy building turrets in the intel room I would just drop in the room with him and sneak around taunting him with voice commands, warning him about a "spy among us". One round I strung along an engy for the whole match. Probably the most fun I've had in the game.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Streamer in a WoW Battleground discovers everyone BUT him are apparently using the HonorBuddy bot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=206&v=FHeSHT2ZDnU

Why did you link to the last 2 seconds of the video?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EightDeer posted:

Why did you link to the last 2 seconds of the video?

I'm confused about that as well as the time is before the video ID. Every time I copy a youtube URL with a time code, it always puts it at the end. Just another lazy goon not checking the URL they are posting even worked.

Edit: I figured it out. He was watching a video embedded in some other side and then clicked the youtube logo near the end and didn't remove the time code when copying the url.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 17, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I'm confused about that as well as the time is before the video ID. Every time I copy a youtube URL with a time code, it always puts it at the end. Just another lazy goon not checking the URL they are posting even worked.

Edit: I figured it out. He was watching a video embedded in some other side and then clicked the youtube logo near the end and didn't remove the time code when copying the url.

Whoops! My bad. I don't do a lot of YouTube links, and, I remember, that was exactly what happened. Sorry folks. I fixed it.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wk6lZJYCTE

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Streamer in a WoW Battleground discovers everyone BUT him are apparently using the HonorBuddy bot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHeSHT2ZDnU

EDIT - Aye link UToobe reel gud.

This is weird, wouldn't say griefing though. Just bored WoW players.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

This is weird, wouldn't say griefing though. Just bored WoW players.

Couldn't think of anywhere else I could put it. It did strike me as funny as hell though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ahhh it still fits here I think. I wonder how to turn it into griefing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Ahhh it still fits here I think. I wonder how to turn it into griefing.

Well, seeing as Blizzard just went on a massive ban fest over it, I would probably leave it at that. Just something about being the only person in a MMO arena struck me as stimulating the griefing center of the brain.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Apparently a lot of those people were using a commercially sold bot called HonorBuddy that Blizzard recently lost a long running law suit against in the EU, so they proceeded to temp ban 100k accounts for six months that were caught using the bot. Supposedly it could also automate a decent chunk of raid stuff, so a bunch of people logged into raid night to find half their team banned and are bitching about it.

So there's a grief in there somewhere.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
The grief is people automating a game they should just quit if they're not enjoying anymore.

Don't miss the Charlie Winsmore video posted on the last page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wk6lZJYCTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croberts68
May 19, 2015

Erryday I'm Hustlin'
I have got all of you beat and it's not even by a little bit.

Lets start at the beginning, I'm a moderately successful guy, I've been lucky to work with some really high quality people who have made me look like an absolute rockstar. I actually even got some decent B-List actors to work for me on a few projects and even got a reasonably hot, albeit failed commercial actress to marry me. I was a movie producer for a minute and even though I lost more money than I made, the "hollywood" contacts I made put me in good enough standing to be able to piggyback smaller amount of funding on to larger projects and turn a pretty solid net.

Problem is my wife really started to just grate on me about her getting work, and the loving Turtle of my RL Entourage kept telling people we were gonna make a big gently caress off videogame. So I'm kinda stuck in a weird spot where I just wanna start funding high budget porno and maybe trade in the wife for a different kind of actress before the money starts to come in and she's entitled to a lot more. Seriously, I've never seen a girl with such a long neck not be able to make it down to the balls, but whatever that's not part of this story. So fuckin Turtle gets me stuck telling potential investors about a videogame that I am literally just making up as I talk to them while throwing out some buzzwords I read in Wired, but the crazy part is they start to eat this poo poo up. Talking about the "upward profit paradigm" in gaming starts to get these loving app developers turned investors as hard as a rock so I see a chance to do something.

So I get Turtle to call some friends and we set up on this website where you make empty promises to nerds and they throw cash at you. So I get a youtube made by my buddy Gil who has a business making music videos for teenage girls who think they're gonna be the next Kesha/Iggy and he green screens my poo poo up so I look like pudgy Scottish Spaceman Spiff. I'm thinking we might make like 2 mil and I can finance a 300K game, pocket the rest and start shooting facial scat porn by Q2 2013. But something far crazier happens, loving nerds start making GBS threads their entire lifesavings on my fiscal chest like some kind of Gordon Gecko inspired Cleveland Steamer. By the end of it I'm sitting on like 12 mil. Nerds, dude. Fuckin nerds.

So Now I'm thinking "How far can I ride this gravytrain before I actually have to do anything?" so I start up my own website, hired some kid out of Irvine of Craigslist to do it (because gently caress Angie's List, I ain't paying poo poo to get some pimple faced kid to poo poo out a paypal button and spaceship drawings) and sure enough I've got 30 million USD and loving Turtle has promoted himself to my assistant. Which would be fine but he keeps insisting on setting up his office near mine but that poo poo's on the East side of the building, so every morning it smells like someone is cooking maple bacon when the sunlight hits his chair. But then the dreams started. I kept having this nightmare where it starts off awesome, I'm banging some coked out 19 year old starlet on a space yacht, but then the space-IRS shows up with my wife, they use her cheekbones to cut through my hull and they tell me I'm going to jail for spaceship-fraud.

So I finally decide to actually make it look like I'm going to make a game and I get my little bro, who's actually a pretty bitchin programmer/producer and I get him to hire a bunch of his work buddies to work in our hometown. But then my loving wife decides that our house in Texas sucks so we have to move back to LA and open an office there so she can "pursue her career", I wanted to tell her they don't make fish-stick commercials any more and no one is going to be casting any parts for "Mostly Fuckable Witch" now that Angie Jolie has fallen to doing Disney poo poo other than the Sci Fi channel. But whatever, LA gets me closer to those desperate 23 year old college drop outs that can pass for 18, so I go with it.

Problem with LA is ol' Turtle decides he needs to still be near me, so I end up realizing the Maple bacon smell from his office isn't from the sunlight hitting his chair, it's from him drinking pancake and bacon smoothies. But now I have to look "active" so I start doing a weekly internet interview where nerds ask me stupid rear end questions about the "game" and I answer them. At first they wanted to have some of the nerds who run the site look at the questions first so they could type up answers for me, but I got bored reading their answers 3 questions in and now I'm making a space game where you can play Call of Duty and the Sims at the same time. Seriously kids, stay away from cocaine, I had to be hit with a tranq dart when someone started to ask me about voxels.

But then after like 20 of these one of the guys working on the game decides I can't be trusted talking to people, so he wants to make a new Youtube show. I figure this is my chance to get rid of my two biggest problems, so I get Turtle and my wife to make this fake news show where they get random nerds from IT and poo poo to talk about spaceships and the right way to draw them or whatever while I go to gaming conventions, where pussy flows like wine if you've got a "Special Presenter" Pass, just wish I could have got on this circuit back when Olivia Munn hadn't yet realized she could do better than videogame news.

It also helps that I'm like 70 million deep at this point too, so I'm actually bagging booth babes, not just the girls with low enough self esteem to dress up like animes and not get paid. So I think "what the hell, lets see what happens when I start selling spaceships I just drew in paint and make my dorky brother actually put them in the game, and the weirdest loving thing happens, I make another 20 million and magazines are writing stories about how much of a genius I am. And everytime I tell some nerd about something, it will always make some other nerds so mad they spend days freaking out on the internet. I'm pretty sure if I announce a partnership with My Little Pony, I could probably make 50 million and cause a few dozen suicides.

gently caress I love griefing

• Locked thread