Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Can I bring my schlep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
...Failing to reprimand Oxygen, the next tragedy may be that of your friend's pod... or your corpmate's pod... or yours!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Viva Miriya posted:

d) goonfleet goons are gullible as gently caress

Why? No one's actually falling for your troll.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You probably shouldn't shoot people for bringing the wrong ship, in my opinion, that's a really dumb excuse to shoot blues, in a world where there's practically any other reason to shoot them.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

hemophilia posted:

You probably shouldn't shoot people for bringing the wrong ship, in my opinion, that's a really dumb excuse to shoot blues, in a world where there's practically any other reason to shoot them.

Like ignoring the FC and daring him to do something about it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol

bangers and hash
Sep 27, 2003
Obligatory custom title.
Real talk Oxygen is a bitch for that.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

More like ignoring the FC because he has no right to loving shoot you unless you insist on bringing a dictor and bubbling them on every gate or something else reasonably dickish!

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That FC needed to check his privilege.

#unfreeOxygen

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The FC picking a fight over one wrong ship is bad. If he called for doctrine ships and there were multiple offenders that's one thing but one guy who probably wasn't gonna bring a tengu anyway, bringing something else, is a dumb thing to get mad about.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mpaarating posted:

That FC needed to check his privilege.

Fixed.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ckwiesr posted:

Can I bring my schlep?

Sup dude how's life?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
So, I hear the Jackdaw's bonus changed again...
:yikes:

Well anyways, I'm hyped for that poo poo. My missile skills will finally be put to good use, for a change.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

So, I hear the Jackdaw's bonus changed again...
:yikes:

Its a pretty sweet bonus and pretty outside the box, you can basically always be hitting the enemy ships resist hole :getin:

and switch range or explosion velocity missle types.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Zasze posted:

Its a pretty sweet bonus and pretty outside the box, you can basically always be hitting the enemy ships resist hole :getin:

and switch range or explosion velocity missle types.

Now watch as CCP kinetic locks the Jackdaw as a gigantic gently caress you to having fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are newbie tackle frigates sort of implied in fleet callouts or something? I was on Jabber a good part of the weekend and didn't really see anything going on that a newbie in a tackle frigate and minimum skills was explicitly invited to (unless I was supposed to join anyway and get the cute newbee treatment--not that I dislike money but it does make me red in the face :v:)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ciaphas posted:

Are newbie tackle frigates sort of implied in fleet callouts or something? I was on Jabber a good part of the weekend and didn't really see anything going on that a newbie in a tackle frigate and minimum skills was explicitly invited to (unless I was supposed to join anyway and get the cute newbee treatment--not that I dislike money but it does make me red in the face :v:)

Basically invited to every fleet short of cap fleets and cov-ops fleets. You'll have more fun in happy fleets than Tengu or domi fleets, but you'll be welcome. Make sure to say you're an x day old newbie and open your mouth and smile as you get the golden shower of ISK.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Ciaphas posted:

Yes bring them to all fleets all the time. They're always welcome.

Unless they violate Oxygens Tengu fleet comp :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

Newbees in free frigates are always invited.

There are a very few exceptions (some things like covops drops that a t1 frigate can't do) but they're gonna be special sig things so won't broadcast to all-all. If you see can see a fleet ad you can join it and be a cute newbee.

e:

Zephyrine posted:

Even the most elite pubbie FCs haven't been so dumb as to poo poo on new players with frigates.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 19, 2015

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, you don't have to be self-conscious about it. Literally no one cares if you bring an Atron because you can't fly anything besides an Atron. If that's what you can bring, it's what you can bring. I don't think any FC have ever said "I wish I had less cheap, disposable tackle" except some jackass that doesn't matter.

gently caress, I guess I refreshed at the wrong time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

Yes bring them to all fleets all the time. They're always welcome.

Well I wasn't gonna say anything, I don't know a Tengu or a Harpy from my own rear end :v:

Legit gameplay question, you mean welcome in the "yeah sure we're notgonna throw out a newbie" sense or welcome in the "yes we do actually need ships made of paper and carrying a point" sense? I have no idea what ships are capable of nowadays, I was thinking for a while that small fast tackle was an outmoded philosophy or something. Like Interdictors were supposed to cover all that, maybe.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Zephyrine posted:

don't hide, have pride.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Legit gameplay question, you mean welcome in the "yeah sure we're notgonna throw out a newbie" sense or welcome in the "yes we do actually need ships made of paper and carrying a point" sense? I have no idea what ships are capable of nowadays, I was thinking for a while that small fast tackle was an outmoded philosophy or something. Like Interdictors were supposed to cover all that, maybe.

We have pages of agitprop about our newbie tacklers.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Well I wasn't gonna say anything, I don't know a Tengu or a Harpy from my own rear end :v:

Well, most line ships in a fleet aren't fit with points, so having a newbie in a frigate with a point fit is one more potential hostile locked down for the fleet to kill. Everyone loves to get kills, and scrams get kills. Hence, newbies are always welcome on fleets.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ciaphas posted:

In a sense, yes but frigates can also do some things that dictors can't. Like be uncloaked on grid 150k off of your fleet without someone trying to immediately kill you. Bubbles also don't stop MJD/MWDs which are usually fit to battleships.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Ciaphas posted:

Nope, on three counts:

1) Most doctrine ships don't have points, focusing instead entirely on tank or DPS (or both).

2) Interdictors drop an anti-warp bubble that's stationary for ~2 minutes; a target can, in theory, simply burn out of the bubble's range and warp off, unless they're tackled by another ship. (And you don't want to tackle with the interdictor unless you have to, as it's a good way to get killed; ideally, an interdictor bubbles, burns out of the bubble, and immediately cloaks up.)

3) Interceptors get bonuses to point range, so they can safely tackle things with heavy neuts. Ships without bonuses generally can't tackle something without getting in that range.

It doesn't even necessarily have to be made of paper. We have a dedicated frigate doctrine called "Cawkfleet" that's basically designed around this -- a bunch of assault frigates (T2 frigates that are comparatively slow but extremely sturdy) packing long-range weapons but close-range tackle. We jump into a fight and everyone tackles the hostile nearest them, so you have ~30 individually tackled ships. Then, FC starts calling primaries, and everyone uses their long-range weapons to contribute firepower, murdering each tackled ship one by one.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

gwrtheyrn posted:

In a sense, yes but frigates can also do some things that dictors can't. Like be uncloaked on grid 150k off of your fleet without someone trying to immediately kill you. Bubbles also don't stop MJD/MWDs which are usually fit to battleships.
Some shitlords whose name I can't recall decided it would be a good idea to bring a battleship fleet with MJDs into VFK-IV. This was when we were still based out of there. The station vomited a flood of cheap scramming frigates. When everything was tackled, the DPS undocked. Cue an entire battleship fleet lost. And for once it wasn't ours. :getin:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

TBQH a little of both. :shobon:

Frigate tackle still works, you can't kill ships unless you prevent them from warping out. Dictor bubbles have always been better at immobilizing a fleet than single tackle, but dictors are priority targets. Part of learning to fly tackle is knowing when to dive in and grab a point, and when to hang back. You can still be 100% responsible for kills if you use caution and get an instinct for when the opposing fleet is about to warp off, and pick the right moment to pounce and get a point.

On the other hand, anti-support is better now than it was back when GF made the rifter into a symbol of the power of newbies. So your life is short most of the time. That's why we have stuff like gently caress You Fleet now as a option to move out of frigates while you're still relatively new. If tackle isn't your thing you should switch to ewar and make life hell for three or four other guys at a time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

koreban posted:

We have pages of agitprop about our newbie tacklers.

It bugs the poo poo out of me how many image sites my stupid work proxy blocks off. :mad:

Thanks all. I'll try to get set up to actually do something this weekend, hopefully. In the meantime, doing relic/data sites in semi-hostile space with a prototype cloak, a stabilizer and a prayer is amusing, if nothing else. :v:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

koreban posted:

don't hide, have pride.

The vinegar over this is starting to pass my knees and I'm getting worried that we're still going to be talking about it long after Pooki has forgotten about it. I figure I'd tone it down before I need a snorkel.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Whatever happened to 420 shot blues every day? Was that just a theta squad thing? Who cares about one person getting commissared.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

People are butthurt because it was pooki bear and not some unknown fool. I bet if the victim was some ally turd nobody would give a poo poo. They'd probably applaud the fc.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Klyith posted:

TBQH a little of both. :shobon:

Frigate tackle still works, you can't kill ships unless you prevent them from warping out. Dictor bubbles have always been better at immobilizing a fleet than single tackle, but dictors are priority targets. Part of learning to fly tackle is knowing when to dive in and grab a point, and when to hang back. You can still be 100% responsible for kills if you use caution and get an instinct for when the opposing fleet is about to warp off, and pick the right moment to pounce and get a point.

On the other hand, anti-support is better now than it was back when GF made the rifter into a symbol of the power of newbies. So your life is short most of the time. That's why we have stuff like gently caress You Fleet now as a option to move out of frigates while you're still relatively new. If tackle isn't your thing you should switch to ewar and make life hell for three or four other guys at a time.

Tackle frigates still work but it's a pretty bad role to try to stuff a new player in to. It's a pretty mechanically intensive role because you need to be real comfortable with transversal and navigation mechanics as well as the engagement profiles of whatever you're tackling. It's probably more effective to get newer players in to t1 logi and ewar than it is to give them a slasher and let them fly at ishtars.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

vyst posted:

People are butthurt because it was pooki bear and not some unknown fool. I bet if the victim was some ally turd nobody would give a poo poo. They'd probably applaud the fc.

You are right. If it had been a goon FC then it would be no big deal.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

vyst posted:

Shooting the guy volunteering to be primary is pretty dumb though.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

i didn't know it was pooki before i started asking questions :shobon:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

I'd be doubly disappointed. That it's a pubcorp FC shooting a high profile shitposter is probably the saving grace here.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

vyst posted:

100% true.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

causticBeet posted:

Tackle frigates still work but it's a pretty bad role to try to stuff a new player in to. It's a pretty mechanically intensive role because you need to be real comfortable with transversal and navigation mechanics as well as the engagement profiles of whatever you're tackling. It's probably more effective to get newer players in to t1 logi and ewar than it is to give them a slasher and let them fly at ishtars.

Counterpoint: getting blown up is really great practice for not getting blown up, and watching spaceships explode is always hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A job with a high degree of mechanical proficiency is actually a great place to put newbies, because they can (potentially) learn that far more quickly than they can train skills. If they don't enjoy it then sure, move along to ewar cruisers or whatever, but tackle is fun and challenging and teaches you a lot of applicable skills.

• Locked thread