Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I don't get what makes this so bad??? it doesn't sound any different than SecondLife's 32 character hex hash they use to track assets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

This is entirely unrelated but I really want to know the story behind that av.

I pissed off an anonymous goon (it was definitely shalinor :v:) in the game industry thread with this post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662&userid=80112&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post441665409

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's :10bux: not :tenbux:, hth.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

A Steampunk Gent posted:

wow this guy's is using BITCOIN?!? lmao :allears: :allears:

We're not using any coins. It was brought up early in development and was canned because using *coins as a currency is dumb.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lemon King posted:

It was brought up early in development

laffo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Early Access Kickstarter Trip Report: Darkest Dungeon is rad as hell and while the starting environment in Grim Dawn is generic as gently caress it plays well, looks nice, and I really like the weapons, armor, and classes.

Probably won't touch them too much until they're done but both are good games.

e: Carmageddon Reincarnation is also coming along pretty nicely but i honestly wonder how well it'll be received. it's a better looking original Carmageddon for better or worse and there are lots of things about it that just feel really old and weird. also its load times even on an SSD make Bloodborne and Destiny look quick by comparison

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Power Stone is really fun at first but I found it doesn't have much lasting power compared to, say, Smash, because the core mechanics start to feel really repetitive after a while. Starts feeling kind of mindless.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So everyone's being agressive towards this guy for using controversial currency in his game, but then everyone's cool with the bear simulator dude who just went radio silence and had to be prodded, no pun intended, to even bother responding to his backers when they were convinced he had bailed on them. Figures.

I like your game, lemon dude. gently caress a bear simulator.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mr Underhill posted:

So everyone's being agressive towards this guy for using controversial currency in his game, but then everyone's cool with the bear simulator dude who just went radio silence and had to be prodded, no pun intended, to even bother responding to his backers when they were convinced he had bailed on them. Figures.

As an aside, bear simulator has been putting out regular updates since the nudge came so it looks like he really was working and just didn't get that people wanted frequent updates instead of long silence and then one megaupdate. Which I guess is kinda silly but I don't understand your raging hateboner for this silly bear game.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

Thanks. :3:

And there is so need to bring out the pitchforks, we got that covered.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AnonSpore posted:

I don't understand your raging hateboner for this silly bear game.
SA Forums > Discussion > Games in a nutshell.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Honestly the biggest problem I see with lemon man's thing is that the scripting is going to need to be powerful and versatile (to be able to make things worth screwing with) and easy to use (to get enough people actually making things worth screwing with) and that is not an easy ask.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

AnonSpore posted:

As an aside, bear simulator has been putting out regular updates since the nudge came so it looks like he really was working and just didn't get that people wanted frequent updates instead of long silence and then one megaupdate. Which I guess is kinda silly but I don't understand your raging hateboner for this silly bear game.

Well, I"m glad for the people who backed that he's back on track. No hate here, in fact I just don't get some of the over aggressive comments towards people just sharing their kickstarter project and not being any kind of pompous about it, but ok, we all vent on the internet sometimes. I said gently caress that game because last time I had checked it really seemed like the guy had just taken the money and ran, color me surprised. Let the record also show I love bears and i think they're totally gnarly. I wouldn't pay money to play as one but I can appreciate why some would. Now a lynx on the other hand...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr Underhill posted:

gently caress a bear simulator.

These German simulation games have been getting kinda weird lately.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Benly posted:

Honestly the biggest problem I see with lemon man's thing is that the scripting is going to need to be powerful and versatile (to be able to make things worth screwing with) and easy to use (to get enough people actually making things worth screwing with) and that is not an easy ask.

We're running each Planet with its own LLVM environment. Entities - item, creature, weapon, armor, hats, and etc - is its own program, much like Agent Smith from the Matrix; I don't like using this comparison but its highly accurate.
Everything is coded in C, minus the engine (Client and Server) but you don't need to worry about that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Benly posted:

The biggest problem I see is just that it's an MMO. MMOs usually fail to come anywhere close to their hype (and often just flop completely) even coming from experienced studios with a big budget. Backing one that's kickstarted from an unknown studio sounds very dumb to me, just because MMOs are tremendously complicated things.

edit:
I mean just look at it -

quote:

Coming from the background of living and loving games, we set out to make what other sandbox games should have been. We are demolishing every boundary and making a game that transcends genre. Whether your taste is for collecting, combat, or creation, Voxelnauts will satisfy it. But we need your help.
A sandbox MMO in a from-scratch engine that caters to multiple completely different playstyles, including allowing users to make their own stuff, even their own game rules (?), for 200k? This sounds hopelessly overoptimistic.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 19, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lemon King posted:

Thanks. :3:

And there is so need to bring out the pitchforks, we got that covered.

Can I make pokemon in your game.

Y/N/Will you hold my hand at the prom?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Can I make pokemon in your game.

Y/N/Will you hold my hand at the prom?

Why not.

We also have a new video talking about VR and Art Direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqYSUfMY1I8

e:
Love it! But it needs more bling and sparkles.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 19, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lemon King posted:

He sold off his Bitcoins to fund the part of the project. We're also using some Block Chain tech for asset tracking instead of currency.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Mr Underhill posted:

i don't think that you understand the mountain of idiocy, greed, idiocy, objectivism, idiocy, dunning kruger and idiocy that is literally everything about bitcoins

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I mean, I hope lemon man can overcome his crippling disability of being a bitcoiner and make a good game but it's reasonable to be wary.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

RottenK posted:

I mean, the projet doesn't looks too bad so I hope lemon man can overcome his crippling disability of being a bitcoiner and make a good game but it's reasonable to be wary.

I've never gotten into Bitcoin or Bitcoin Mining, everything we're using it to track ingame assets created by us and players. Any *coin shenanigans you're wanting to happen wont, sorry dude no Cosby Coins here.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 19, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I wonder how many of the people ragging on this guy even know what a blockchain is.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't know what a blockchain is either. I just know that while bitcoins are sketchy as all hell, that doesn't mean that literally every single algorithm used in their implementation is garbage. That's just reductio ad hitlerum.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

I wonder how many of the people ragging on this guy even know what a blockchain is.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't know what a blockchain is either. I just know that while bitcoins are sketchy as all hell, that doesn't mean that literally every single algorithm used in their implementation is garbage. That's just reductio ad hitlerum.

It's just a way of making a unique ID for every item and transaction that item is involved in without reinventing the wheel.

Anyone complaining about using that for doing non-monetary transactions basically has absolutely no idea what they're talking about and it's amusing to watch.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

pumpinglemma posted:

bitcoins are sketchy as all hell, literally every single algorithm used in their implementation is garbage

:agreed:

Lemon King posted:

I've never gotten into Bitcoin or Bitcoin Mining, everything we're using it to track ingame assets created by us and players. Any *coin shenanigans you're wanting to happen wont, sorry dude no Cosby Coins here.

please don't track your assets with a lovely crippled distributed ledger

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cicero posted:

A sandbox MMO in a from-scratch engine that caters to multiple completely different playstyles, including allowing users to make their own stuff, even their own game rules (?), for 200k? This sounds hopelessly overoptimistic.
that's including one million already provided by investors, but the pitch admits that there already isn't enough money to pay most of the team, which would be setting off alarm bells even if they weren't trying to host an mmo without publisher assistance

my god, the pixel art in the pitch is beautiful, and i would look forward to it as a single player exploration or building game, but if you can't even pay salary then there's no loving way you'll be able to pony up for mmo-load server hosting when the time comes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Telex posted:

It's just a way of making a unique ID for every item and transaction that item is involved in without reinventing the wheel.

Anyone complaining about using that for doing non-monetary transactions basically has absolutely no idea what they're talking about and it's amusing to watch.

blockchain technology IS reinventing the wheel. there are already methods for tracking transactions and IDs that don't require every user to possess the entirety of every id and transaction ever made. gimme a break

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm always hoping someone somewhere comes out with "minecraft but better and developed by people who know what they are doing" but all we have are a thousand barely finished clones with a bunch of deal-breaking design flaws. I guess that sums up minecraft when it first got big, a barely fleshed out indie mess but you'd think in the years since someone would have come up with a new twist or something with a bit more polish or better gameplay.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

DolphinCop posted:

that's including one million already provided by investors, but the pitch admits that there already isn't enough money to pay most of the team, which would be setting off alarm bells even if they weren't trying to host an mmo without publisher assistance
Well no, have some backstory to that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/36cc3t/voxelnauts_vr_mmo_kickstarter_launch/crd3gxa

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DolphinCop posted:

my god, the pixel art in the pitch is beautiful, and i would look forward to it as a single player exploration or building game, but if you can't even pay salary then there's no loving way you'll be able to pony up for mmo-load server hosting when the time comes

The pitch also (at least by my reading - maybe I missed it?) doesn't talk about the payment scheme of this MMO, which raises more than just an eyebrow.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

The pitch also (at least by my reading - maybe I missed it?) doesn't talk about the payment scheme of this MMO, which raises more than just an eyebrow.

Thanks, we're getting this sorted now.

e:
Current payment model plan is Buy to Play.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 19, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Telex posted:

I was fairly sure this was the case since Suspicious Dish is a professional idiot but thanks for clarifying it

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Lemon King posted:

We're running each Planet with its own LLVM environment. Entities - item, creature, weapon, armor, hats, and etc - is its own program, much like Agent Smith from the Matrix; I don't like using this comparison but its highly accurate.
Everything is coded in C, minus the engine (Client and Server) but you don't need to worry about that.

I honestly have no idea whether that addresses my issue of "if it's easy enough for me to use, it's probably going to be too oversimplified to make anything interesting with, and vice versa". I'm not talking about your back end, but if player-created content is supposed to be a big part of the pitch the methods the players use to create that content have an extremely difficult balance to strike.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RottenK posted:

Yes, pretty much this.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

RottenK posted:

pumpinglemma posted:

bitcoins are sketchy as all hell, literally every single algorithm used in their implementation is garbage

Tell me more about how SHA-256 is garbage. :allears:

RottenK posted:

If the lovely distributed ledger is only seen by the backend servers, it's kind of a stupid-but-clever way of synchronizing them. A minor waste of coding effort, but not a big deal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dylan16807 posted:

Tell me more about how SHA-256 is garbage. :allears:

It has no particular benefits and the only reason most things use it these days is that Bitcoin happened to use it.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

It has no particular benefits and the only reason most things use it these days is that Bitcoin happened to use it.

Sure, that's why browsers are obsoleting SHA-1 to get people to move to it.

Edit: vvv I'm not going to waste more posts on this. SHA-256 is pretty much the default form of SHA-2 and what most certificates seem to be using. Other components are involved, that's obvious, but a secure hash is critical and is at least one thing bitcoin got right.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 20, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dylan16807 posted:

Sure, that's why browsers are obsoleting SHA-1 to get people to move to it.

SHA-2 and SHA-256 are not synonymous. SHA-256 is one particular type of it.

Also when it comes to server certificates the hashing used is only one component of many.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Wait, Mark Kern (of Firefall bus fame) was involved with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wait, Mark Kern (of Firefall bus fame) was involved with this?
Was. He is no longer involved.