Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Ah, another addition to the Eric Allie "Unemployed people are sullen husks who stare at their feet in lines all day" canon.

(side note: haha "Akim"...Allie can't spell for poo poo; it's amusing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Mister Beeg posted:

Mallard Fillmore: Year One (March 6-11, 1995)

So, Duck and that dude are clearly in a gay domestic partnership raising Rush right?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Xander77 posted:

What?

Please describe, in your own words, what the message is, and the metaphor the cartoon uses to deliver it. I can kinda parse "but the REAL unemployment", but that's only because I'm familiar with Allie.

I think it's pretty clearly "the unemployment rate looks good, but actual unemployment is still bad." Also "thing you see looks good, but bad thing is actually hidden in the shadows." I can't eliminate the fact that I have familiarity with Allie and that may color my reading, but it looks well composed and I think the message would be clear even if you knew nothing about Allie.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

colonel_korn posted:

Why is the Clinton Foundation a giant geyser of clay? :confused:

I have color vision problems, but it looks red to me which makes the whole thing be on top of a geyser of blood :black101:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I have color vision problems, but it looks red to me which makes the whole thing be on top of a geyser of blood :black101:

OPEN THE BLOOD GATES!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

.Edward Penischin posted:

I love how "blame Bush" was a thing to whine about while he was still President.

Why are they blaming Bush when everything bad that happened between 2000 and 2008 was because of the Dark Lord Obama? :confused:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Also the aggravating 'from the mouths of babes' thing where the child knows an obscene amount about the subject and about the metasubject and all of the arguments regarding the subject, and the supposed 'expert' knows nothing, which I thought was kind of unique to the Republican political argument.

People who are socially progressive are sometimes very fond of using flawed "from the mouth of babes" arguments along the lines of "I told my 2 year old cousin I was trans and he understood, why are all republicans who don't get why you'd be trans dumber than a two year old???" or "I told a five year old I was gay and he didn't call me a human being, clearly children are the most wise of us".

Subterfrugal posted:

Wasn't Rush supposed to be like a seven year old in 1995? He would have graduated college just in time for the economy to melt down.

That's why he's not in the comic anymore, he joined OWS and Mallard stopped talking to him :v:

Pope draws adorable children :3:

colonel_korn posted:

Allie has finally realized to stop putting the actual numbers in his cartoons about how Democrats keep making unemployment worse.
Holy poo poo, Allie made a cartoon that wasn't phoning it in local bullshit! Been a long while.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

That one biker will have a rough landing what with his parachute not attached and all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We got cartoon sign!

Jeb finally comes clean.

Oh god it's like Rankin-Bass made a political cartoon :stonk:

Someone call Rall, this is a HUGE scoop!

We need to help out Obamacare by raising taxes on the rich. A Good Cartoon.

RIP David Letterman

heh...we're going to totally murder a guy.

The rich, of course, largely managed to avoid the virus.

But is it art?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Joke's on you. Everyone in that line is gay and the cartoon is really about ENDA.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

What?

Please describe, in your own words, what the message is, and the metaphor the cartoon uses to deliver it. I can kinda parse "but the REAL unemployment", but that's only because I'm familiar with Allie.

The message is that while unemployment is down, the number of people without jobs is much bigger than simply unemployment since those who give up looking for work are not counted in unemployment numbers. We only look at one kind of these people (unemployment) but the shadow cast from those without jobs are still real even if we don't talk about it.

That message ignores that people can leave the labor force for many reasons, and that counting all those without a job as the same as the unemployed is troublesome, but the cartoon still gets the intended message across very well without a lot of words and with pleasant to look at art. It's an almost Bennett level of simplicity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Which was the cartoonist who had an unhealthy negative fixation on David Letterman? Was it Branco?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

People who are socially progressive are sometimes very fond of using flawed "from the mouth of babes" arguments along the lines of "I told my 2 year old cousin I was trans and he understood, why are all republicans who don't get why you'd be trans dumber than a two year old???" or "I told a five year old I was gay and he didn't call me a human being, clearly children are the most wise of us".

Could've sworn the point of those arguments was usually to show that prejudice is learned, not natural.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

I feel like he could have drawn that kid's soda cup bigger.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wildeyes posted:

I feel like he could have drawn that kid's soda cup bigger.

The kid wasn't that thirsty, just got a small

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
:siren: :nws: :nms: New Day By Day has boobs in it for zero reason. :nms: :nws: :siren:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Muir is generally incomprehensible but I literally have no clue what on earth he's going on about here.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

:psyduck:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Muir is generally incomprehensible but I literally have no clue what on earth he's going on about here.

Due to some nutjob's analysis he thinks that the American administration has been bribed by Iran to knobble their country in preparation for a fullscale invasion.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr. Squishy posted:

Due to some nutjob's analysis he thinks that the American administration has been bribed by Iran to knobble their country in preparation for a fullscale invasion.

Also that 300 is a documentary

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Could've sworn the point of those arguments was usually to show that prejudice is learned, not natural.

When the person is smart about it, yes. A lot of people blindly use it and end with lines like "If a five year old gets it, why doesn't 50% of America?" or similar.

Wait, why is she blindfolded :psyduck: If she's supposed to be a seer or something why is she also a Spartan? Was there some part I forgot in 300 where Leonidus wore a blindfold?

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 20, 2015

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

bribed by iran with fancy armenian sportscars.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rorus Raz posted:

Bish sure is happy that a fellow human being will be tortured for all eternity.

Rorus Raz posted:

But is it art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAPnorpqD0

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wait, why is she blindfolded :psyduck: If she's supposed to be a seer or something why is she also a Spartan? Was there some part I forgot in 300 where Leonidus wore a blindfold?

It's from that one dude who loses an eye in the initial fighting and wraps cloth over it shortly before Leonidas sends him back to rally the other Greeks, just before the Persians encircle the 300.

Presuming it's anything other than Muir being a poo poo artist, of course.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I don't know why but it seems incredibly appropriate to censor tits with JFK's face.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Ever since someone here pointed it out I can't un-see the one person making the :shepspends: face in the background of practically every single Lisa cartoon.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's from that one dude who loses an eye in the initial fighting and wraps cloth over it shortly before Leonidas sends him back to rally the other Greeks, just before the Persians encircle the 300.

Presuming it's anything other than Muir being a poo poo artist, of course.

Wait, I think you're right. Why does he say blindfolded then? That's not a blindfold, that's an eyepatch.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Prince Charles meeting Gerry Adams – Prince Charles has shaken hands with Gerry Adams, the veteran Irish republican who former comrades allege was on the IRA’s ruling army council when the Provisionals murdered the prince’s great-uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten, in 1979."

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Yesterday's Mail:
Mac on... David Cameron's 7-day health service

Mail:
Mac on... Prince Charles meeting with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

Jeb finally comes clean.

Oh god it's like Rankin-Bass made a political cartoon :stonk:

Someone call Rall, this is a HUGE scoop!

RIP David Letterman

The rich, of course, largely managed to avoid the virus.

But is it art?

We need to get you a job as one of those little guys in the bottom-right corner of the cartoons. :)

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Sitting in the dirt with their nice dresses fanned out amongst the weeds is a thing women like to do, right?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... Prince Charles meeting with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams

Does it really have that statement twice, or did you just add it in there?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

prefect posted:

We need to get you a job as one of those little guys in the bottom-right corner of the cartoons. :)

Maybe a little donkey? With its pants down, perhaps.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Boy this talking point isn't ominous or foreboding in the least.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

prefect posted:

Mister Beeg, if you ever do a sequel to that one comic you made about political cartoon characters, please make it about a little, tiny corner-guy and all his little, tiny corner-guy friends (Punk the Penguin, Kelly, Tom Toles and his desk... maybe Sergio Aragonés' marginals from MAD... ).

Or you could even make that a story occurring in the bottom corner of another story, eventually having them both spill over into one another!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Why yes Yaakov, endlessly encroaching into inhabited territories IS a lovely thing to do.

:ironicat:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This implies a least one DbD has had boobs in it for a good reason.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

When the person is smart about it, yes. A lot of people blindly use it and end with lines like "If a five year old gets it, why doesn't 50% of America?" or similar.

She's supposed to be Dilios, the narrator of the film who got shot in the eye which Leonidas used as an excuse to send him back to Sparta with a message. His narration is actually him telling the story of the battle to the rest of the Spartan army who are presumably on the march to go repel the Persian invasion. That's really why the story includes such fantastical elements like saw-hand monsters, Xerxes as a literal giant, and the magical disappearance of the rest of the Greek army including over a thousand Thesbians and Thebians who made the last stand along with the famed 300 Spartans.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 20, 2015

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

I don't think I ever saw a Kirschen cartoon that was this overt in its attitudes towards the Palestinians. And to think it's been around since 2009. I almost don't know what to say about that.

Oh wait, yes I do. Go gently caress yourself in your venn diagram eyes, Kirschen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

"I told my 2 year old cousin I was trans and he understood, why are all republicans who don't get why you'd be trans dumber than a two year old???"

Because the 2 year old believes that any change in your gender expression actually changes your sex; e.g. getting your long hair cut short turns you from a girl into a boy. That's why most little kids are extremely invested in conforming to the gender binary pretty much as soon as they start to understand the concept.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 20, 2015

• Locked thread