Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Should I be selling unwanted items or breaking them down for crafting materials? Are there any materials that can only be acquired by breaking down items?

Also, where do I get the mutagens to craft decoctions? What's the difference between a potion and decoction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Verranicus posted:

I can't for the life of me find the herbalist in White Orchard.

It comes up as you follow the Main Quest When you talk to the Nilf Captain guy you have two people he wants you to talk with for more information regarding the griffon. She is one of them

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Turns out the strategy guide lists where all the witcher diagrams are. 2 hours of running around later I have almost a complete set of cat school armor except I am missing a monster eye and don't have anything in my inventory to break down into an eye either.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Seriously, where da brothels at? I'm tryna get Geralt some box.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

g-c posted:

Seriously, where da brothels at? I'm tryna get Geralt some box.

Probably in the big cities, but nobody has gotten to them yet. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any way to respec in this game? I think I'm gonna go the Signs route instead and I'd prefer not to restart if I don't have to.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Spiky Ooze posted:

I notice that as well, something's weird about the game's timing in general to me. I wonder if they targeted 30 fps so going higher doesn't really sync well... just a thought. I'm going to try capping FPS lower later to see if it's more comfortable.

Huh, that's an interesting thought. I was getting 60fps on my PC, but it just didn't feel like 60, because of the weird movement issue. It almost feels like bad input lag to me (but I don't experience that in any other game). Fraps does indeed show almost a solid 60fps, so I don't know what's going on. I played a little bit of Witcher 2 this weekend, and it definitely didn't feel like this. It's not unplayable, and I suspect I'll get used to it at some point and I won't really care, but it's a little annoying right now.

EDIT: I should mention, it seems a bit better once in combat. I don't know if it's the faster pace that I notice it less, but I don't seem to have as many issues there. It's weird.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 20, 2015

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

RatHat posted:

Is there any way to respec in this game? I think I'm gonna go the Signs route instead and I'd prefer not to restart if I don't have to.

From what I heard there is no respec.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Thunderbro posted:

Man, this game is bitch hard on Blood and Broken Bones if you make any mistakes whatsoever. Death March absolutely terrifies me. Combat is like playing Dark Souls only more fun in basically every way. The preparation, exploration, crafting, all of it is phenomenal.

The second tier defense talent gives you damage reduction while dodging; I am absolutely pumping every point possible to max that out ASAP since it goes to 100%.

The NVIDIA drivers since like two months ago have been loving terrible. I've literally had the video driver crash logging into Windows after I updated from the March version. I cannot overstate how bad they are.

Totally. Specially that gta5 game ready driver was a complete piece of crap. And letīs not even get to the experience/shadowplay subject...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ShadowMoo posted:

From what I heard there is no respec.

There's a loading screen tip mentioning that some merchants sell a potion that lets you respec.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

RatHat posted:

Iīve read here that you can buy a Potion of Clearance. http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36h1nt/the_witcher_3_tips_tricks/

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Alchemist vendors sell respec potions. They are expensive.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That's weird, I haven't had any driver issues at all, with GTA V or W3. Maybe my computer felt sorry for me after dealing with terrible AMD driver issues for a year.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like the one skill that lets you parry arrows because gently caress are archers annoying in this game.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I am about to concoct the thunderbolt thingy for the Griffin - can I come back to this area to complete the other quests after I gently caress this Griffin's poo poo up?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

How soon we forget Ves and her constant :byodame: style eyeliner for battle.

Did you see the new Avengers movie? Jeremy Renner had some serious battle eyeliner going.

Still mad about numbers, I guess right now the way to play is maximum UI. I think I was more mad because I was going for a very minimal UI look and the numbers don't jibe with that.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Genocyber posted:

So how the gently caress do I use the crossbow? The game does not seem to want to tell me how.

You don't get it until you are ready to fight the Griffin. Speaking of, I crossbowed him over a body of water, he fell in and insta kill. I literally jumped for loving joy (I am playing the hardest setting, I have been here for over an hour fighting this gently caress). Problem is, you can't collect his head for a trophy as his body just floats there. gently caress me for being clever.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Darth Ballz posted:

You don't get it until you are ready to fight the Griffin. Speaking of, I crossbowed him over a body of water, he fell in and insta kill. I literally jumped for loving joy (I am playing the hardest setting, I have been here for over an hour fighting this gently caress). Problem is, you can't collect his head for a trophy as his body just floats there. gently caress me for being clever.

I just used aard on him, aiming with the middle mouse button pressed feels awkward and gently caress aiming with the gamepad.

edit: on second thought, maybe I should remap it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Anyone know which options I need to change to disable that message "gamepad detected, control scheme has changed" that keeps popping up?

Maybe has something to do with DS4 but feels its always switching on, even when I haven't touched my keyboard or mouse.

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch, I'm way behind on the thread.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"Botchling" ahaha what a name. Oh god it's so hosed up ahahaha

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
I am getting straight up raped by the Werewolf during the Wild at Heart quest.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
goddammit started downloading it this morning, left for work, got back...

computer went into sleep mode after 2 gigs :argh:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm 6 hours in. I have had not one crash, hitch, or anything resembling a bug. I'm running an i5 3470 with 16 gigawatts of RAM and a GTX970, most settings on Ultra w/o hairworks, and shadows on high. I see lots of posts about crashing, and figured at leats one person should post positive performance news.

Also, Comte:

Is the loading screen/story-so-far narration Vesimir, or Dandelion?

ALSO: Protip: if you look at your character screen and press right-trigger, it'll show you useful stats on your character you might not find anywhere else, such as hours played.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

My first session was fine, but that's twice today I've ran into a freeze while in a menu.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

zen death robot posted:

If your drivers are crashing when you log into windows, seriously man, that's on you. Your system is hosed up.

Yep. New Nvidia drivers, played through GTA 5 flawlessly and so far have had no crashes with Witcher 3 either.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm running an i7 with 8gbs of RAM and a Geforce GTX 570. I realize that this card isn't optimal for this game but surprisingly I have really solid performance with it. Between 45-55 fps smooth even in fights and stuff at Low/Medium mixed settings at max resolution. The only issue is that my video card heats up to around 90-95 C in this game. Do you think that this is sustainable for playing? It only ever gets that hot no matter how long I play it, and performance never falters or acts weird at any point either in game or in Windows when I alt-tab out. I'm kind of afraid of frying my video card playing at these temps for extended periods but given that I've had no bugs or performance issues I'm kind of wondering.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
I tried every single fix out there to stop the crashes. The thing that finally work was rolling back to NVIDIA drivers from February.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

zen death robot posted:

If your drivers are crashing when you log into windows, seriously man, that's on you. Your system is hosed up.
No, their drivers are hosed up.

Captain Spoon posted:

I tried every single fix out there to stop the crashes. The thing that finally work was rolling back to NVIDIA drivers from February.

Yep, this is how you fix that lovely problem. The problem for that though is February not having SLI profiles for W3. :rip:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Game crashed during the Gwent tutorial on ps4, that doesn't seem like a good sign. And riding your horse at the lowest speed (not cantering or galloping) seems weirdly hitchy, like the animation doesn't loop into itself properly. That said, even this little slice has more character in it than Inquisition and Skyrim combined.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thunderbro posted:

Yep, this is how you fix that lovely problem. The problem for that though is February not having SLI profiles for W3. :rip:

You seem pretty mad. Also wrong.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Anyone know which options I need to change to disable that message "gamepad detected, control scheme has changed" that keeps popping up?

Maybe has something to do with DS4 but feels its always switching on, even when I haven't touched my keyboard or mouse.

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch, I'm way behind on the thread.

that happens if you touch the touchpad - it counts as a mouse movement in the ds4windows drivers so the game thinks you just used the mouse.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
After the basilisk fight how do you climb the tower???

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

megalodong posted:

that happens if you touch the touchpad - it counts as a mouse movement in the ds4windows drivers so the game thinks you just used the mouse.
Nah it also happens if you have the touchpad disabled.

Fuligin posted:

Game crashed during the Gwent tutorial on ps4, that doesn't seem like a good sign. And riding your horse at the lowest speed (not cantering or galloping) seems weirdly hitchy, like the animation doesn't loop into itself properly. That said, even this little slice has more character in it than Inquisition and Skyrim combined.
If you're on console and are having crashes in Gwent make sure you're not tapping the button to pass your turn - hold it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Thunderbro posted:

If they were hosed up, don't you think there would be a lot more people here and other outlets complaining of crashing? I'm on their game ready drivers and only ran into 1 crash because of my slightly overzealous overclocking that I thought was stable. After fixing that, it's been rock solid for the several hours I've played last night.

Obviously not everyone has the same problem, but I don't think it's a driver problem.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Iīm having a hard time choosing between the gamepad and kb+m so far. On one had the game was clearly designed with the controller in mind, on the other the kb+m controls feel a little less laggy somehow. Is it just me or does anyone else feels the same about kb+m being more fluid?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pigbottom posted:

Iīm having a hard time choosing between the gamepad and kb+m so far. On one had the game was clearly designed with the controller in mind, on the other the kb+m controls feel a little less laggy somehow. Is it just me or does anyone else feels the same about kb+m being more fluid?

They seem fine, but the default bindings are not optimal. Though now I play on my DS4 because it's comfortable and I can sit back and play.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They seem fine, but the default bindings are not optimal. Though now I play on my DS4 because it's comfortable and I can sit back and play.

Yeah, thatīs another good argument for the gamepad. My wrist always hurt after long play sessions with the keyboard.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I get why peasants hate the Empire, they see them as invaders, but why does Geralt always have such an attitude when he's dealing with people from Nilfgaard? I just spoke with the commander in White Orchard and the dude was straight up doing everything he could to help the villagers out and Geralt still gave him poo poo. It's like the game is giving me mix messages when we're supposed to hate the Empire but everyone we meet from there is friendlier than people from the North.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
First "crash" 8 or so hours in, during a loading screen. The game didn't crash but it got stuck loading, when I tried to bring up task manager it took ages, TW3 was using 100% of my cpu the whole time, some kind of loop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thunderbro posted:

This is the first I've ever heard of somebody saying "If you use Nvidia drivers your computer will freeze at startup" as if it was some widespread problem

Verranicus posted:

So I get why peasants hate the Empire, they see them as invaders, but why does Geralt always have such an attitude when he's dealing with people from Nilfgaard? I just spoke with the commander in White Orchard and the dude was straight up doing everything he could to help the villagers out and Geralt still gave him poo poo. It's like the game is giving me mix messages when we're supposed to hate the Empire but everyone we meet from there is friendlier than people from the North.

The Empire loving with Geralt's life was a pretty big part of Witcher 2. Their plot got him framed for murdering Foltest, for one thing.