Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Concerning the current beta: I'm still not entirely happy with the icon for changing the PM view to the "sent items" folder. At the moment it's just an arrow to the right but I'd like to find a better, more obvious icon.
The one from Gmail is pretty nice, has a sort of arrow/plane thing going on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

The one from Gmail is pretty nice, has a sort of arrow/plane thing going on.

The send button already uses the same one.

The gmail app has a nice one but it's custom apparently and not part of the repository.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is the Sent folder icon in Gmail.

The only other relevant thing I can see is the Outbox icon, did you mean this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah that's the one I meant, sorry.

Just opened up the apk again, it's only in grey and only up to xxhdpi. Though I guess I can fix at least one of those with like photoshop. Unless anyone has a better idea.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A list icon with a little send icon in the bottom right would be cool for that button.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sereri posted:

I'm guessing you're all on 3.1.2b? If it's the webview there's not much we can do.

:siren::frogsiren::siren:

Concerning the current beta: I'm still not entirely happy with the icon for changing the PM view to the "sent items" folder. At the moment it's just an arrow to the right but I'd like to find a better, more obvious icon. Google has a preview version with all icons here, though it's slightly outdated ( here is the current 50Mb zip file with an updated preview). I'd love your input.

Announcement

Action

I'd use the first one to indicate you have new PMs, and the second to show a blank PM folder.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the last two days, I've occasionally been getting a "Loading failed" message when I open the app via the bookmarks shortcut. I can swipe to reload no problem, and threads load fine.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Just opened up the apk again, it's only in grey and only up to xxhdpi.
Yeah that's where I got it from. Because it's only used in the Nav Drawer it's pretty tiny.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

For the last two days, I've occasionally been getting a "Loading failed" message when I open the app via the bookmarks shortcut. I can swipe to reload no problem, and threads load fine.

Same here

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sereri posted:

After 3 and a half years with our trusty frog I feel it needs a update to a more material design version. I can't reach Spanky directly since he has disabled receiving PMs so I open this up to everyone. Please adhere to the MD Guidelines.
Really? Something that follows all those rules would be bizarrely legitimate looking for an SA forum browser. It'd be more appropriate if you broke them all at once.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Concerning the current beta: I'm still not entirely happy with the icon for changing the PM view to the "sent items" folder. At the moment it's just an arrow to the right but I'd like to find a better, more obvious icon. Google has a preview version with all icons here, though it's slightly outdated ( here is the current 50Mb zip file with an updated preview). I'd love your input.

How about the 'call made' icon? The one you see in the dialer to show outbound calls, from the communication section here
http://google.github.io/material-design-icons/
It already has that association with outgoing communication, and you could have a subtitle saying 'Received PMs' or whatever with the incoming icon, so that describes what you're looking at and helps you understand what the outgoing icon means.

There are some weird icons on that page, what's with all the airline seats in various tilt positions :wtc:

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Has anyone else been getting a lot of "Sorry, Awful has stopped" errors?

I've been getting a ton of these in the last week or two. I even turned on the beta version, still getting them. Any thread with a few images can crash it now. Previously it was fine.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Were you guys able to enter a message into the bug report? Because if so you are probably one of the "Native crash" reports I get directly from Google Play. Most likely the Webview caused the crash in whatever way.

Just pushed a new version into beta. Fixed a few things here and there and updated all the libraries. If the update logs are to believed, parsing should be noticeably faster now.

Now if the beta folks stop crashing their apps this should go out to everyone this friday.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Is it possible to hide actionbar when scrolling down on phones? Like docs, g+, etc do.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I just pulled the Beta update from the Play store.

I have an issue.

When I view a thread and then swipe back left to get to the thread list, the thread I was just in shows the same number of undread posts. If I click on it again, it will take me to the same page I was just on and dump me at the top of the page.
I have to manually refresh the thread view (whether Bookmarks or Forums) to get the unread number to change.

I tried clearing cache and clearing data. The issue remains.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For what it's worth, I don't have that problem with the current beta build.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This also happens occasionally when I swipe right from reading a thread.

I'm on a Motorola Xoom WiFi only running stock 4.1.2.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

hooah posted:

For what it's worth, I don't have that problem with the current beta build.

It also works fine on my Moto X 2nd gen phone running Android 5.0. But it behaves strangely on my Xoom tablet running 4.1.2.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I've already tried rebooting my tablet and uninstalling Awful, then installing it again and I still have both problems.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Did you just change your posts per page settings at all?

If you did, try quitting the app and then going back in

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I found the bug that turned on page transformation on tablets. If you change something in the settings it will ignore whether or not the device is a tablet which leads to this.

It will be fixed in the final build, until then go to settings -> Device and navigation and set 'page transformation' to disabled.

As for the other, I cannot replicate it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Sereri posted:

Glad you like them. Not sure about the background. Can you post a screenshot? Maybe the html was changed at some point and your css has not been updated to match it yet.

Rewriting the link stuff is on my list. Do I understand it right and you want to like always open market links?

/edit just noticed I hosed up something in the sidebar. Gotta take a look at that later.

Yeah, always open youtubes with youtube, etc. I was going back and forth on 'always show inline' for gifs, because that's the thing I find myself doing most often when interacting with an image, but.

Also, I recently unearthed my ancient, terrible Asus Slider and Awful can't load anything and crashes and burns if I try, consistently. Is 4.0 Awful Legacy territory now?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sereri posted:

I found the bug that turned on page transformation on tablets. If you change something in the settings it will ignore whether or not the device is a tablet which leads to this.

It will be fixed in the final build, until then go to settings -> Device and navigation and set 'page transformation' to disabled.

As for the other, I cannot replicate it.

Is there anything I can pull off of my tablet that might help you figure out why the read-post count doesn't advance?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Imgur links almost always come up broken, particularly ones with modifiers like large thumbnail:

I should be on the latest beta. This has been a long standing issue.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh please can we get Timg tags, I am so over manually inserting tags and getting told off for posting huge gently caress off images accidentally.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ArcMage posted:

Yeah, always open youtubes with youtube, etc. I was going back and forth on 'always show inline' for gifs, because that's the thing I find myself doing most often when interacting with an image, but.

Also, I recently unearthed my ancient, terrible Asus Slider and Awful can't load anything and crashes and burns if I try, consistently. Is 4.0 Awful Legacy territory now?

That's just a dumb bug that I already solved, will work again next update, sorry.

Aleph Null posted:

Is there anything I can pull off of my tablet that might help you figure out why the read-post count doesn't advance?

You could physically send it to me, other than that there's not much you can do. FWIW, the Xoom emulator equivalent I created has no problems with it. Did you mess in any way with the tablet? Root and whatever someone does with that?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Imgur links almost always come up broken, particularly ones with modifiers like large thumbnail:

I should be on the latest beta. This has been a long standing issue.

It's an old bug that stems from imgur urls changing their format, and Awful trying to automatically turn images into thumbnails. I'm probably just gonna rip that out in the future. Just go to Settings -> images and disable the imgur thumbnails for now.

Kommando posted:

Oh please can we get Timg tags, I am so over manually inserting tags and getting told off for posting huge gently caress off images accidentally.

You're gonna love friday.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm on 3.1.2b, on a 2014 Moto X running 5.0, and I frequently get this:

It seems to happen when I scroll.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm on 3.1.2b, on a 2014 Moto X running 5.0, and I frequently get this:

It seems to happen when I scroll.

Let's see if this still happens after the update. Speaking of which:

Awful 3.2 is currently going out over the Play Store, expect it in a few hours. For people who can't wait, the apk is here or in the OP.

This also concludes the current round of beta builds, more will probably follow after the release dust has settled. Thanks to all the Testers.

To answer a few upcoming questions:
If the question contains "can I have {a thing} back", the answer is probably no.
If the question contains "can I disable {a thing} ", the answer is probably still no but could be "yes, in the settings".

And finally quoting this because there was little response:

Sereri posted:

After 3 and a half years with our trusty frog I feel it needs a update to a more material design version. I can't reach Spanky directly since he has disabled receiving PMs so I open this up to everyone. Please adhere to the MD Guidelines.

I also noticed we don't have a product video on the play store and I think we definitely need to fix that. Just a quick video that shows off the main functions would be great. If you manage to wrap it in a continuous story, even better. No :nws: should be obvious.

As for both, be aware that while you might put work into it, we could end up not picking your entry, maybe none at all. Be also aware that the only payment will be that your icon will be in the app / video will be in the play store listing.
Unless of course someone wants to add an incentive with some forum upgrades (feel free to do so).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just had a strange thing happen. I was reading a thread and the app stopped scrolling. The phone still responded otherwise, but if I opened the app switcher and scrolled around the title bar (or whatever it's called; visible only on the app switcher) duplicated, with one staying in its initial location and the other moving as normal. The extra title bar went away after going into any app, including Awful, and I was able to scroll again after maybe a minute. Switching apps had no effect on my ability to scroll, and the extra title bar thing didn't show up in a screenshot I took.

Moto X second generation, Android 5.0.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The new version looks awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Wow all this and just 3.2 not 4.0? Awesome. I no longer have that issue where the bottom buttons turn invisible.
A small suggestion, and if you say I should have said something during beta I totally understand.
For the side menu, rather than a large and cropped avatar, put it in a small circle with some color or pattern behind it (see Gmail).

I wish I knew poo poo about design to help with the icon, I'm just a lowly web developer. :shrug:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just curious what READ_PHONE_STATE's being used for here. I don't see it in the permissions in the manifest for the Awful.apk at all so I assume it's being merged in from Crashlytics' AAR?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

I just had a strange thing happen. I was reading a thread and the app stopped scrolling. The phone still responded otherwise, but if I opened the app switcher and scrolled around the title bar (or whatever it's called; visible only on the app switcher) duplicated, with one staying in its initial location and the other moving as normal. The extra title bar went away after going into any app, including Awful, and I was able to scroll again after maybe a minute. Switching apps had no effect on my ability to scroll, and the extra title bar thing didn't show up in a screenshot I took.

Moto X second generation, Android 5.0.
That sounds incredibly weird. Please report if it happens again. Might be a random lollipop hiccup

The Merkinman posted:

Wow all this and just 3.2 not 4.0? Awesome. I no longer have that issue where the bottom buttons turn invisible.
A small suggestion, and if you say I should have said something during beta I totally understand.
For the side menu, rather than a large and cropped avatar, put it in a small circle with some color or pattern behind it (see Gmail).

I wish I knew poo poo about design to help with the icon, I'm just a lowly web developer. :shrug:
I know what you mean and considered it myself a while ago. The problem really is though that it would require some sort of background. As we currently don't have any graphics people there's not much to do there. I guess all the design people all iPhones or something :)

kitten smoothie posted:

Just curious what READ_PHONE_STATE's being used for here. I don't see it in the permissions in the manifest for the Awful.apk at all so I assume it's being merged in from Crashlytics' AAR?
Yeah Crashlytics adds it. I'm not entirely sure what stuff they log but at the minimum it's this:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sereri posted:

You could physically send it to me, other than that there's not much you can do. FWIW, the Xoom emulator equivalent I created has no problems with it. Did you mess in any way with the tablet? Root and whatever someone does with that?
You're gonna love friday.

I think I rooted it once when I first got it, but I unrooted it and it has had two factory provided Android OS updates since then.

Other than that, I haven't done anything interesting with it.

The new version that just came out earlier today still has the same bug where it doesn't change the unread page view unless I manually refresh. I will just live with it. It's still the app I use more than any other on my tablet and I greatly appreciate all the work you've put into making it as awesome as it is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Small thing: when in landscape mode, I can't pull down far enough for the refresh to kick in. The little circle appears, but by the time my thumb is at the bottom of my screen, it's not enough. Portrait mode (and just hitting the refresh button) works fine, though.

Lollipop 5.1 running on a Nexus 4.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
New app looks great and has been working fine for me all morning. As a request though, can you offset the thread title text a few pixels when thread tags and ratings are turned off? They're right up on the left edge now and just look weird.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why do you need my phone number?

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 22, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mustache Ride posted:

Why do you need my phone number?

Developers get kinda lonely once in awhile and...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's so he can phone you up and tell you to fix your loving huge screenshots.

Alternatively:

Sereri posted:

Yeah Crashlytics adds it. I'm not entirely sure what stuff they log but at the minimum it's this:

It's the analytics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That platform that had the huge security flaw when it was installed in the Starbucks app last year?

Oh okay then....

Sorry about the screenshot, fixed.