Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

^^^ Also doing Hoth on the bottom of my Detolf, stealing some of your ideas!

Yes there are slits but the dust buildup doesn't seem too bad. Get an anti-static dusting brush like this Tamiya one, it's amazing for dusting off detailed animes lego models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pbpancho posted:

The top shelf is Tatooine, but I don't know quite what to put on the other one.

Imperial forces?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

All Shiny, All Chrome!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Anyone have any experience with those mini figures from China. I really want to get one of the DC comics sets they have on eBay. But I don't know how good the quality is.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

anotherblownsave posted:

Anyone have any experience with those mini figures from China. I really want to get one of the DC comics sets they have on eBay. But I don't know how good the quality is.

They're reasonable if you know what you're getting; not great, but if you don't look too closely they're passable. I imagine the quality varies though.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

Hey howdy hey! I'm guilty of buying a few sets of the bootleg Chinese mini figures, mainly out of morbid curiosity. I've probably bought five different 'packs' of them.

A few words about each of them. One thing to note is that the plastic on all of these mini figures is of inferior quality to Lego ABS. I wasn't expecting a close match, but if you were to close your eyes and pick one up at random from a pile, you could definitely separate the knock-offs from the real items by touch alone. I don't know if that's specific to the ones I got, or to all of them (I suspect it's all of them), but they're definitely not the same plastic. From buying a handful of these, I think there's like four different knock-off companies, each one with it's own positives and negatives. Either that, or one big company with quite possibly the worst quality control on the planet. Actually, it's probably that one.

'Superheroes': Odin, Winter Soldier, Dr. Doom, Cyclops, Nightwing, Flash, Green Arrow, and Batman Forever Batman
50/50 gamble. The Odin looks great, and other than the weird feeling plastic, looks like it could have came out of an official set. Same with Nightwing, and Batman Forever Batman. Winter Soldier has semi-lovely printing around the head, Cyclops looks like he has Downs syndrome, Flash looks like my dog chewed on him, and Green Arrow is a perfect body/hips with an incredibly terrible minifig head.

'Star Wars': Han Solo, Clone Trooper, Camo Clone Trooper, Anakin, Yoda, Clone Wars Obi-Wan
These ones just look like total poo poo. From most of the eBay listings, you can tell they look pretty bad, but these are egregiously bad. I assume that whoever made these only got to look at the real figures for maybe 30 seconds, and then had to recreate everything from memory. Han Solo's face is sliding off his head, Anakin looks like the Mustafar version even though it's not, and the Clones all look like Times Square street performer versions of Clone Troopers.

'WWE Wrestlers': Triple H, Booker T, The Undertaker, John Cena, Rey Mysterio Jr., Kane, The Rock, The Big Show
These are actually 100% awesome. The printing's great, they look hilariously like the real things, and I thiiiiink the plastic is a little better quality than the others. The only downside is that they didn't send me a Big Show, but instead sent me two giant-size Incredible Hulks. I'm fine with it, gently caress the Big Show.

'Star Wars Translucent': Clone Trooper x4, Ezra, Rebel Pilot Luke
These are also awesome. The print quality is iffy (the Clones look bad, Ezra is OK, Luke looks normal) but they're so unusual that they're kinda cool to just set on the desk by themselves. I liked these ones.

'Age of Ultron': Ultron x4, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Baron Von Strucker, The Vision
These haven't ever arrived, but then again, it's China, so they'll probably show up some time between now and 2017.

All in all, it's honestly a crapshoot depending on what you're willing to put up with. Of all the figures, I would say that probably 25% look spot-on (even though the plastic is weird), 40% are close enough to be passable without close inspection, and the rest are all garbage. Buyer beware and all that, but if you're willing to put up with paying $1.50 for a roll of the dice on a figure, they're not too bad.

e: Yeah, what he said ^^^

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any neat bootleg TMNT lego minifigs? All I've really seen are those ones with the lame mouth-cover things and skateboards.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

On the subject of fake lego, Ashens reviews loads of knockoff Lego, usually the shittiest and most terrifying ones. They're a great watch :v:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

The_Doctor posted:

Imperial forces?

I just picked up my Republic Gunship from where it was in storage at my parents house (have the old 6211 Star Destroyer and a Wookie Catamaran there still), and to my delight I'd filled every interior space with stormtroopers and clones! I was going to do a Clone Wars scene with the gunship, clones, Jedi, and battle droids but sadly the ship doesn't fit in the case :( It'll have to just sit on top for now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I went and bought a bunch of the series 2 minifigs yesterday. Standing there for 30 minutes feeling up an almost full display box totally did not make me feel weird at all.
Well, I managed to get 13 of them, no duplicates.
Now I only need Martin, CBG and Hibbert. The latter will be tricky to distinguish from Homer.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
I PREDICT

I need to build this landing gear.

Turns out R2 is to scale after all. The engines could use some beefing up though.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Wow thanks for that review PKMN, I was actually looking at just a green arrow figure that comes from that super hero pack you mentioned. I think I'll hold off for now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Electrophotonic posted:

Turns out R2 is to scale after all. The engines could use some beefing up though.

The lack of landing gear is the only bad thing about this set. It's kind of baffling considering even the small ones have it.

Actually the r2 thing always bugged me too but I guess you are right. He still looks a little small to me. I think the piece they used for the ucs Jedi star fighter would have looked better.

It has kind of an odd scale because I think it's technically not mini figure scale but it really is probably closer in size to how it should be with an xwing. They just look off because they are stumpy but the Helmet looks about right in the cockpit

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 19, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wish all UCS stuff was minifig scale tbh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are all pretty close except the huge stuff they could never do like star destroyers right?

The b wing and x wing comfortably fit one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Electrophotonic posted:

That is amazing and I will build it. I actually have a lot of the misc parts like the lightsaber handles.

NESguerilla posted:

They are all pretty close except the huge stuff they could never do like star destroyers right?

The b wing and x wing comfortably fit one.

Well, I mean... it's pretty obvious they're not right like in the xwing where there are pedals or foot rests and the minifig legs don't get all the way off the seat. It's more the scale of those technic guys they had when I was a kid.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
I PREDICT

I think Lego astromechs are a bit big compared to minifigs though, not to mention that minifigs have huge heads.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Electrophotonic posted:

He's closer to the camera than the landing gear is, so he only appears to be the right scale.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Lego email says the Power Jet is available now!
69.99 though =(

Spaceport is also out, why so expensive?! It's like almost 20cents a piece.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 19, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

That is amazing and I will build it. I actually have a lot of the misc parts like the lightsaber handles.

Well, I mean... it's pretty obvious they're not right like in the xwing where there are pedals or foot rests and the minifig legs don't get all the way off the seat. It's more the scale of those technic guys they had when I was a kid.

Yeah I'm just going off the size of a helmet and where the head sits. Seems like you couldn't really have it both ways when trying to make a scale cockpit since minifigures have such stumpy proportions. If you stick a rebel pilot in there there profile looks about right to how a helmet should look sticking up under the glass though. I still leave them empty due to the reasons you stated.

Lego talk gets me nerding out about the stupidest poo poo :lol:

That guy is right about R2's scale though. Still way too small and it's just the camera angle making it look bigger.. That will always be the thing that bugs me the most about that set.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh god worst case scenario. I just opened the tower bridge and one bag is not sealed. It is open slightly and parts fell out.

What is the best plan of action? Build it and then write to them if a piece is missing? Or Notify them as a heads up and ask for a parts list for the bag?

Do you have any experience with such a case?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could flush half the bag down the toilet and call up lego saying pieces were missing and they wouldn't ask twice before sending you replacements.

They're super generous with that stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Assuming the box didn't have any holes in it and only one bag opened you should be able to just assume they are all from that bag. probably a non issue unless there is something I'm missing.

I walked by a Lego store today, and like most UCS sets, that Tie is much cooler looking and bigger in person and now I want it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

w00tazn posted:

Spaceport is also out, why so expensive?! It's like almost 20cents a piece.

Holy crap, you're right. 586 pieces...for $120? That's the sort of pricing you usually get for a boat with a big flotable hull or a train with power functions. I don't see any justification for the price being that high. There's one large uncommon piece on the crawler, the shuttle has the cockpit piece and giant tail, and the external tank has large, uncommon pieces, but it sure as hell doesn't cover $60.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 20, 2015

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pyroclastic posted:

Holy crap, you're right. 586 pieces...for $120? That's the sort of pricing you usually get for a boat with a big flotable hull or a train with power functions. I don't see any justification for the price being that high. There's one large uncommon piece on the crawler, the shuttle has the cockpit piece and giant tail, and the external tank has large, uncommon pieces, but it sure as hell doesn't cover $60.

I could've sworn it wasn't $120 when we put our shipment out today. I have the next two days off so I can't check, but I'm gonna call in and ask one of my coworkers to double check for me. I swear that can't possibly be right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just looked that thing up and that front end of the shuttle might be the laziest part I've ever seen.

Site says $120.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Assuming the box didn't have any holes in it and only one bag opened you should be able to just assume they are all from that bag. probably a non issue unless there is something I'm missing.

Unfortunately it seems the bagbwas never fully closed, kind of like a piece is missing. So things may have dropped out before boxing up.
I'll just have to start buildung and hope for the best.
Bit stupid with 4k parts. I may be missing a part and not realize for hours while searching for it.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Hopper posted:

Bit stupid with 4k parts. I may be missing a part and not realize for hours while searching for it.

Try calling up Lego and explain what happened. They may just ship you that whole bag if it is a manufacturing defect, which will make building it much easier knowing you have everything.

Or you could sort every single piece out, match up the piece counts up, then mix everything in a big tub and take a month to build the set instead of using your nicely organized piles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does the tower bridge set not have numbered bags? If it does it should end up being pretty quick to identify if something is missing. Just build the set and when you get stuck, you found a missing part!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

xzzy posted:

Does the tower bridge set not have numbered bags? If it does it should end up being pretty quick to identify if something is missing. Just build the set and when you get stuck, you found a missing part!

Oh god. It's a 2010 set. It doesn't have numbered bags :gonk:
Whoever thought up the numbered bags was a genius. I can't imagine how long it would take to build a 4000+ piece model just searching through piles. Imagine how much space that would take up since you have to dump everything out at once?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Have done stages 1 and 2 of the Detectives Office modular now. The bags not being numbered would drive me insane. I only have so much table space!

The weird thing I don't get is when you have, say, 5 of one part in one bag and then 3 of the same part in another.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Alabaster White posted:

Whoever thought up the numbered bags was a genius. I can't imagine how long it would take to build a 4000+ piece model just searching through piles. Imagine how much space that would take up since you have to dump everything out at once?

Apparently it does not have numbered bags because it is "creator EXPERT level" and that is part of the challenge. I could do without this extra hassle but I wanted that model so meh.

Edit: Apparently all pieces of the same kind are in one bag. So I just had to go through the one bag and compare all different part kinds to the list of parts in the back. If the numbers on one type are off it means one is missing. Bingo! One part is missing!

poo poo.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 20, 2015

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
It's Lego. Improvise.

E: Unless that was sarcasm that just went right over my head because I haven't had enough coffee yet

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I got the first 'big' lego set of my adult life during a sale a couple months ago (the AT-AT walker) and I had never seen the numbered bags before. I just mixed them all together anyway because I wanted the building process to last and it seemed like the numbered groups would make it go too quickly. Thought it was a slick idea though. Interesting to see how the instructions evolve over the years (now it was telling me what parts I needed for each step, outside the illustration). The older sets I dug up from the 80s, mostly castles and such, also seemed to have a lot more 'updates' per step. More than once I had to go back since I missed bricks in the drawing from before. The more modern ones make the steps a bit smaller in some ways.

I wish I had more money for this stuff... salivating at the Lego aisle in Target like a 10-year-old.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The silly thing is when a 200 piece City set has two numbered bags. I guess because it's aimed at really young kids, but it doesn't seem to gain you much.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Benway posted:

It's Lego. Improvise.

E: Unless that was sarcasm that just went right over my head because I haven't had enough coffee yet

Well I might have that part as a spare anyway (white 1x1 with side connection).
However, I will still order the part. This is essentially 20 € worth of plastic bricks they sell for 220€. The least I can expect is to get all parts. Isn't it?

(Not mad, just saying)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Pyroclastic posted:

Holy crap, you're right. 586 pieces...for $120?
It looks like there might be a lot of large pieces in parts of it. Wings, nose cone, cylinders, etc. I wonder if the $/mass ratio would be more in line with other sets.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 20, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My wife and I bought the ferris wheel for our anniversary gift to each other and just finished it tonight. drat this thing is big. Also, I think it's a pretty great build to do as a couple. So much of it is do this 2x or 4x that you really get to build it in tandem. I wasn't too interested in the fairground mixer before, but now I kind of want it just to compliment the ferris wheel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ideas site should really just be a check box of ip's people want made into Lego sets because that's the only thing that seems to get votes. Really dumb setup they have there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Alabaster White posted:

i 1-piled the UCS Millennium Falcon.

It took about 100 hours to build.

I do not recommend this.