Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Randall was ACC POTY(and that was a stupidly underrated season, VT was picked to finish like 10th of 12th in the ACC) and Marcus Vick, fuckup he was, was still a good QB. Tyrod was good as a junior and fantastic as a senior. Thomas was a monster his first year when he was surrounded by talent before everyone left and he started to shoulder the entire team and just crumbled in on himself.

VT's had good QB play since Vick.

e: of all 5 of those seasons I mentioned 4 resulted in a BCS bowl appearance and 3 ACC titles. Good QB play goes a long way at VT when you have Bud Foster prepping the other side of the ball.

e: 2004 is easily my favorite season of those. Even getting screwed against USC, that was such a fun team to watch and I made all 14 games that year. Total blast. Was like 1995 all over again.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Randall was ACC POTY and Marcus Vick, fuckup he was, was still a good QB. Tyrod was good as a junior and fantastic as a senior. Thomas was a monster his first year when he was surrounded by talent before everyone left and he started to shoulder the entire team and just crumbled in on himself.

VT's had good QB play since Vick.

e: of all 5 of those seasons I mentioned 4 resulted in a BCS bowl appearance and 3 ACC titles. Good QB play goes a long way at VT when you have Bud Foster prepping the other side of the ball.

huh i guess it just seemed like forever since vt has had a good qb

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Wanvig posted:

Not as down with this as I thought.

It's rooting order, not liking order. gently caress Texas. But if Texas wins against OOC opponents, the BigXII looks better.

gently caress Texas.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Watch out for Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo this year; wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him take over the starting job.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
here's the worst loving part of the 59-60 cal fiasco. it should never have come down to the loving kicker at all because we scored another god damned touchdown on that drive but the refs were loving blind and didnt even loving REVIEW IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B97FZ0-P1I0&t=75s

1:27 he CLEARLY crosss the plane it's loving bullshit gently caress you forever cal loving eat poo poo and piss and gently caress oregon and gently caress usc and triplefuck the huskies

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Wheez you should really take it easy. Try rooting for a less futile college team.

Like UAB

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wheez the roux posted:

"earth is Gay and hosed, and we're just along for the assfucking ride." - connor halliday

amen

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

Marcus Vick, fuckup he was, was still a good QB.

People forget this. He was really good. I thought he would have been a star if he wasn't such a walking trainwreck.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Kim Jong Il posted:

People forget this. He was really good. I thought he would have been a star if he wasn't such a walking trainwreck.

He had some big fuckups(ACCCG, the big matchup with Miami when we were 8-0) but the dude played some drat good football in his only year as a starter. If his last name wasn't Vick he could have done big things but poo poo happens, I guess.

As much as him being a fuckup screwed us(got a full year of Glennon in 2006 because he got booted, likely cost us the ACC title) it also helped us since he was breathing down Randall's neck the whole time Randall was at VT and they played musical chairs and neither guy got good at QB. Once Randall didn't have to look over his shoulder we got an awesome season in 2004.

Metapod posted:

huh i guess it just seemed like forever since vt has had a good qb

It just seems that way because VT's horrible to watch on offense.

In all reality, I'm pretty bullish on Brewer and the season. It all comes down to staying healthy but he made huge strides in the spring and his decision making was light years beyond last year. He never got this time last season, he came in during the summer and got put up behind a horrible OL with freshmen receivers(top 2 WR and top TE) and all our RBs minus one were equally as green. VT's got legit skill position talent now, they seemingly have a better OL(zero depth though) and Brewer has made strides.

VT's a great underdog pick this year. The ACC is wide open and while GT is the prohibitive favorite in the Coastal VT has a monstrous scheduling advantage over them(GT plays FSU and Clemson, VT doesn't). They could go gimpy and win 8 games or they could stay healthy and win 10-11 and play for the ACC title.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 20, 2015

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Raku posted:

Wheez you should really take it easy. Try rooting for a less futile college team.

Like UAB

Aren't a bunch of UAB donors banding together and trying to pool enough money to bring the team back? I have no idea if that's even possible, but I hope it is.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Thanks Glennon the elder for not being able to hold it together for just 1 year.

I blame Marcus.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

FSU gonna win another natty

Golson is really bad. It's funny how everyone overrates basically any name QB who transfers. People even wanted to pretend Jacob Coker was a star for some reason.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MourningView posted:

Golson is really bad. It's funny how everyone overrates basically any name QB who transfers.

I agree, for a second I thought he secretly became good somehow.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

MourningView posted:

Golson is really bad. It's funny how everyone overrates basically any name QB who transfers. People even wanted to pretend Jacob Coker was a star for some reason.

Only rednecks who didn't want a colored running the Bama offense was wanting to see him on the field last year thankfully.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

MourningView posted:

Pick an excuse:

"Coker just didn't have a good grasp on Kiffen's complicated offense. Next year will be much better!"

"Coker didn't get a chance to show what he could do. The coaching staff was deliberately holding him back for this year."

"COKER WOULDA STARTED IF NOBUMMA DIDN'T FORCE SABAN TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT ALSO LIBERALS :freep: "

Edit: to mirror what was said above, only the most insane/racist Bama fans truly believed this.

Morby fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 20, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Coker legitimately didnt have a grasp of Kiffin's offense though

He also needs Ryan Kelly's help doing his homework, and Derrick Henry's tying his shoes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

I wonder how Gunner Kiel is doing

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
OU-> gently caress Texas -> gently caress Okie Lite -> gently caress A&M -> gently caress Tech -> gently caress Baylor -> gently caress Texas again for good measure -> gently caress PAC 10 refs HE WALKED AWAY WITH THE GOD DAMNED BALL AND THEY TOUCHED IT PRIOR TO 10 YARDS WHAT THE gently caress -> gently caress everyone else -> Anchors Aweigh, bitch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Only rednecks who didn't want a colored running the Bama offense was wanting to see him on the field last year thankfully.

Nah, before the season started everyone had him pegged as the starter for some reason. He wasn't even a big recruit or anything, I really don't get it.

Declan MacManus posted:

I wonder how Gunner Kiel is doing

He was pretty decent.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I know he had a real ACL problem (who didn't as a star player at Purdue in the late '00's), but we expected a lot out of Robert Marve and only got brief flashes of brilliance after he transferred from Tha U.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Strobe posted:

gently caress Texas.

I can't shake the feeling that Texas has horribly hosed itself

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I can't shake the feeling that Texas has horribly hosed itself

You guys really should have given whatever it took to make the Pac 16 happen.

That or immediately pounced on Florida State/Georgia Tech. One or the other.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Nah, before the season started everyone had him pegged as the starter for some reason. He wasn't even a big recruit or anything, I really don't get it.

He was a walk on, but somehow the FSU media said he was neck and neck with Jameis.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Uh who told you Coker was a walk-on?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Grittybeard posted:

You guys really should have given whatever it took to make the Pac 16 happen.

That or immediately pounced on Florida State/Georgia Tech. One or the other.
I think Pac 16 was gonna happen until ESPN offered us a bunch of money and our own ESPN-branded cable channel, which any school would have taken if offered. I have heard it claimed ESPN did it because the Pac-12 owned its own network already and an era of Pac-16 hegemony would have put ESPN in a disadvantaged position. Supposedly they decided they'd rather put the B12 on life support than see some of the big brands in CFB link up with a competitor. No idea if there's any truth to that.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 20, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
honestly colorado st is probably better than colorado and maybe wazzu, and utah state is investing more and more. a pac-14 rounding out the conference with the respective state school would be good but with things as they are that's the only potential move I see, even that's unlike with the tv revenue sharing, at least not until Utah st improves enough that they wouldn't be a complete charity case

anyway my secondary rooting interests for next season so far are mizzou and GT, i guess

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is the Longhorn Network still a thing? I assume it is and I assume its a disaster. I can't even fathom what you're putting on there. poo poo, BYUTV (now, granted, its BYU) functioned more as a Mormon Channel than BYU related programming and I once saw an instructional knitting show on there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Is the Longhorn Network still a thing? I assume it is and I assume its a disaster. I can't even fathom what you're putting on there. poo poo, BYUTV (now, granted, its BYU) functioned more as a Mormon Channel than BYU related programming and I once saw an instructional knitting show on there.

Texas gets $15 mil a year for 20 years, so it's a big success for the school in that regard. Other than that, the programming sucks and no one carries it, so, yeah, disaster.

It does employ Vince Young and Ricky Williams. That's pretty cool.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Texas gets $15 mil a year for 20 years, so it's a big success for the school in that regard. Other than that, the programming sucks and no one carries it, so, yeah, disaster.

We'll see what ESPN does in the next round of 3rd tier rights (up for bid next year). There's some speculation that they'll be looking to bundle the rest of the Big XII schools into the LHN to make a network that people would watch.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:agreed:

Here let's post games to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLmE7kORQ8

And just because posting that for you is probably mean and cruel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN3xHvI6wXw

Neither of these were actually good games unless you hated or loved Alabama :colbert:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I guess you don't play Sweet Home Alabama anywhere near a Tennessee practice.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/video-butch-jones-tizzy-mystery-sweet-home-alabama-vols-practice/

Not sure how real that is (maybe half and half), but VFL Films has been doing a great job at about everything).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

nate fisher posted:

I guess you don't play Sweet Home Alabama anywhere near a Tennessee practice.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/video-butch-jones-tizzy-mystery-sweet-home-alabama-vols-practice/

Not sure how real that is (maybe half and half), but VFL Films has been doing a great job at about everything).

Tenn needs to abandon rocky top anyway and just play Arrested Development over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCdJyOAQYM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Scarf posted:

Tenn needs to abandon rocky top anyway and just play Arrested Development over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCdJyOAQYM

tennessee's been bad recently but comparing them to slavery and lynchings is a bit harsh no

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
All I want for my birthday is for Akron to become a smoldering crater. Well, moreso than it is already

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Alouicious posted:

tennessee's been bad recently but comparing them to slavery and lynchings is a bit harsh no

The video is a bit misleading, but it's actually a song about dealing with loss and moving on.

(Speech wrote it after his grandmother died, the funeral was in Tennessee, and then a month later his brother suddenly died)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

MourningView posted:

He had a mediocre spring game and I guess at Bama thats all you need to be the starter at QB. Pretty much everyone with any sense around here knew Sims was getting the job though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Scarf posted:

The video is a bit misleading, but it's actually a song about dealing with loss and moving on.

(Speech wrote it after his grandmother died, the funeral was in Tennessee, and then a month later his brother suddenly died)

"And what about his hair?/Doesn't it look like the trees his ancestors were hung from?"

it may not be what the song is "about", but that doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of references to it within :v:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Alouicious posted:

"And what about his hair?/Doesn't it look like the trees his ancestors were hung from?"

it may not be what the song is "about", but that doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of references to it within :v:

True, I just always took it as drawing strength from, and paying homage to the adversity his ancestors went through.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

personally i think college football's theme should be Mr. Wendall, to match the NCAA's treatment of its players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

PostNouveau posted:

Actually, it's carried by all the major carriers except for Comcast.

• Locked thread