Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

jeeves posted:

You got to talk to the businessman again and he'll translate for you.

Thanks, that did the trick. His missions are a total pain in the arse! Took me three tries to get him to survive with tons of cargo this time.

jmzero posted:

And I'm buying that now. I didn't realize it had special single player content - sounds awesome.

It's bloody brilliant. The single player campaign is worth the price of the game alone, but the pass-and-play plus simultaneous online multiplayer (across all platforms) with easy to find matches make it the best app I've got, hands down. This has got to be the blueprint for how to do a boardgame app absolutely perfect: I'm just hoping they'll do expansions for it, as I'll buy any and all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Are there any gooncentric things happening at Gencon this year?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I want a beer centric meetup with all of you. Someone plan that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Supreme Court posted:

Thanks, that did the trick. His missions are a total pain in the arse! Took me three tries to get him to survive with tons of cargo this time.

It's bloody brilliant. The single player campaign is worth the price of the game alone, but the pass-and-play plus simultaneous online multiplayer (across all platforms) with easy to find matches make it the best app I've got, hands down. This has got to be the blueprint for how to do a boardgame app absolutely perfect: I'm just hoping they'll do expansions for it, as I'll buy any and all of them.

Wait until you get to the part where to land on the last robot mining asteroid you need to beat all 3 other robots in one race. Ugh.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Dungeon Lords + Expansion + Starting Dungeons today, with the blinged out anniversary edition. Was a lot of fun. Highlight was getting 2 witches, a +2 cockatrice, a demon and a dragon and dropping the demon + dragon in an anti-magic room to immediately destroy a dwarf paladin. I still only won by 1 point though! It was a 3P game but I guess the dummy worked well enough.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not a ton of official stuff, but I know my personal plan is to play as many loving games as possible, preferably with goons (who I would assume have slightly better hygiene habits than most of Gencon). Last year we used the Groupme App to keep in touch, I'm sure somebody will fire it up closer to the con start.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tekopo posted:

Played Dungeon Lords + Expansion + Starting Dungeons today, with the blinged out anniversary edition. Was a lot of fun. Highlight was getting 2 witches, a +2 cockatrice, a demon and a dragon and dropping the demon + dragon in an anti-magic room to immediately destroy a dwarf paladin. I still only won by 1 point though! It was a 3P game but I guess the dummy worked well enough.

How much nicer is the anniversary edition than the regular + expansion? If it's good enough I might end up buying it and trading/selling my old copies.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How much nicer is the anniversary edition than the regular + expansion? If it's good enough I might end up buying it and trading/selling my old copies.

Eh. You should have bought it yesterday from Coolstuff for $60.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Has anyone played Forge War? I blind bought it after Rahdo called it one of the best heavy economic games of the year.

Also got Argent and Colt Express. first time buying games in months.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Malloreon posted:

Has anyone played Forge War? I blind bought it after Rahdo called it one of the best heavy economic games of the year.

Also got Argent and Colt Express. first time buying games in months.

Played it Sunday and thought it was pretty good. Lots of stuff you need to coordinate and not enough resources to do it. It also has different modes you can play like an epic game which takes four hours, or what we did, and had an accelerated start where we drafted a buch of stuff.

The game is also very thematic, and does a great job of making it feel like you are the brains behind an adventuring group. A rare trait among heavy euros.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You're not getting a big return on your investment if you already have the expansion. You get stickers for food, metal coins, some variable dungeon setups, and the rulebook for the jokey mini-expansion so you don't have to print it yourself, I guess.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Somehow, possibly as punishment for my many sins, I wound up playing a game of Steve Jackson's Frag this evening at an incredibly anemic board game night. There goes...90 minutes?...of my life that I'm never getting back.

Okay, so way back when I think I actually bought Frag, but like one of the small, cheap versions. Even younger me could tell that it kind of blew as a game and I think I might have thrown it away during a move. The copy at the FLGS I go to was a more deluxe edition in a big gold box, and that's what we wound up playing. For those of you who don't know, Frag is an "FPS board game" where you control a beefy space marine and run around a grey concrete arena full of pickup spots and acid pools and try to rack up X kills before anyone else, there are weapon cards and item cards and also "hacks" which are your aimbots and the like. Sounds like it could be good for some simple, mindless fun at least, right?

How do you feel about rolling dice every turn to see how many movement points you can spend? And how do you feel about having to roll dice to acquire anything from pickup spots? How do you feel about rolling to hit someone and rolling to deal them damage? Do you love rolling fistfuls of d6s all the goddamn time? Or wasting entire turns because you assigned a low number to your Speed stat (you get to assign stats before the game starts) and you roll like poo poo when seeing how many move points you got? Or getting to attack more per turn than everyone else because you assigned more points to your Accuracy stat? Or wasting turns because you tried to get some new gear and rolled like poo poo? Or wasting entire turns because someone played a hack card that takes control of you, or makes you skip your turn, or

Holy poo poo, it's been a while since I've played a game that's so completely and aggressively bad. Compounding the issue is a lovely, two page rulebook which somehow fails to clearly address extremely common scenarios (if I do a gazillion damage to someone but they have a card that restores health, do they heal as though they were starting from 0 HP or from negative-a-gazillion?) combined with the fact that every time you kill someone you get to draw a new hack card, which means that a person on a killing streak gets even more ways to go "gently caress you" to the other players (double all your stats! Make players lose turns! Control their movement! Make them auto-miss!). On top of all of this one of the players was the most anal, asinine sort of Magic player who had to spend loving ages hashing out every goddamn thing and while I know that it's largely the game's fault for being such a buggy broken piece of poo poo it didn't need to be dragged out for 90 loving minutes, just take your loving turn and let's get this over with, Jesus.

Somehow I won, acquiring the six kills I needed to put us all out of our misery. For the last two turns I was holding onto two copies of the "make a player skip their turn" card that I had drawn and refused to play simply because I didn't feel like adding insult to the injury of having to actually play that game. I can honestly not recall the last time I had a more miserable experience playing a board game.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 20, 2015

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If there's any game that'd encourage rage quitting, it sounds like that's the one. It's even thematic!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kai Tave posted:

On top of all of this one of the players was the most anal, asinine sort of Magic player who had to spend loving ages hashing out every goddamn thing and while I know that it's largely the game's fault for being such a buggy broken piece of poo poo it didn't need to be dragged out for 90 loving minutes, just take your loving turn and let's get this over with, Jesus.

For the last two turns I was holding onto two copies of the "make a player skip their turn" card that I had drawn and refused to play simply because I didn't feel like adding insult to the injury of having to actually play that game.

Should've used them on the AP guy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wasn't expecting much but I was at least expecting it over quick. While Magic guy and one of the store regulars who's also the sort of guy who likes to argue rule interpretations had it out I got up, went and used the bathroom, took a minute to consider what I was doing wrong with my life, came back to the table, and only when I sat down was it finally the end of the turn that had been going on since before I left.

I have also never played a board game before with Shadowrun's "buckets o' d6s" problem before. I'll overcharge my lightning gun so it does 7d6 damage oh but I also played the double damage hack so it's actually 14d6, can someone pass me some more dice please, and then I'll :suicide:

Mega64 posted:

Should've used them on the AP guy.

But that would simply have drawn things out and by the halfway mark I just wanted it to be over. Don't worry, I used the hack which doubled all my stats for two turns, granting me more dice to roll for movement points and a third attack on my turns which I then proceeded to use to unload several 6d6 weapons into people, one of which took two attacks to kill off completely because dice-based resolution.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Goons have their own gravity field. So yes...

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey guys, it's been so long since I've had a board game night that a full half of my collection is still unopened or unplayed. I still have the urge to collect more though. I need to stop this oh god help me. :negative:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Sounds like you need to have a board game night?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meldonox posted:

Hey guys, it's been so long since I've had a board game night that a full half of my collection is still unopened or unplayed. I still have the urge to collect more though. I need to stop this oh god help me. :negative:

How can you have unopened board games? Like, I can understand having no friends and all that, but why not open the games? Popping out cardboard chits and smelling that new boardgame smell are worthwhile experiences in their own right!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You forgot weighing all the pieces separately to ensure that the game conforms to your lb/$ expectations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Rutibex posted:

How can you have unopened board games? Like, I can understand having no friends and all that, but why not open the games? Popping out cardboard chits and smelling that new boardgame smell are worthwhile experiences in their own right!

Oh, I meant card games/packs and stuff. I'll read manuals and organize cardboard components but I'd rather my Bohnanza cards stay put.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Meldonox posted:

I've been there before. What I usually do is just stop reading about games for a while until I feel I've gotten use out of my existing games. It sounds easy in theory, a little tougher in practice. I find avoiding randomly browsing BGG helps a lot since there is always some new game that everyone is convinced is the best game ever, only for it to fall off the face of the earth a few months later.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Rutibex posted:

I continually give my GF poo poo about the copy of Manhattan Project that she bought a year and a half ago but hasn't opened yet. At this point I think she's doing it just to spite me.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Rutibex posted:

Guy who hosts my board game group not only has unopened games, but also unopened expansions for those games :v:

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I have so many games in shrink it's dumb. I just opened Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition for the first time since I got it in 2013.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Yay, my copy of Hanabi arrived!

Oh, half the card backs are noticeably darker than the other half. And which back a card has is determined by its face color.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Do most of you have a bunch of games that are either unopened or unplayed? The deal I made with my SO was that I would buy no more than 1 game a month and not buy any new games until i've played the ones I already own. Actually works well to make sure I only buy games I think i'm going to play and get good mileage out of them. I was wondering if anyone else did something similar.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I own no games that are unopened and I try to only buy games that I've played before.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
In the last 6 months I've played basically every game I own at least once with the excepting of two player games and crap I'm trying to get rid of. And so today I'm off to my board game club tonight with none of my games for once.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Do most of you have a bunch of games that are either unopened or unplayed?

Sometimes I'll have one or two sitting around - like, we don't play many 2 player games, so Agricola: All Creatures was sitting around unplayed for quite a while. But then we had a day with just two people, and were glad we had something new to try out (and next time, we can try the expansion). But in general my group is always up to try something brand new, so the much more common situation is that we've played a game once and didn't hate it, but where there's also nobody excited about bringing it out again so it just kind of languishes for a while. This sucks, but it's less of a practical problem: selling off a game you've played and didn't love is a lot easier than parting with a game you've never got to the table.

Edit: It's very rare I end up trying anything before I buy it. I don't have a group that is likely to meet at some board game cafe or something, and I generally don't have a bunch of free time to spin the "games with strangers" wheel.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 20, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I got a copy of Escape: Curse of the Temple for Christmas two years ago and still haven't opened it. I had played the game before and enjoyed it, but of my two groups I play with one has zero interest in learning new games and the other already has a copy.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have quite a few games still unopened. I haven't played them but am at least fairly certain I'll enjoy SOMETHING in them.

I think of them as my rainy day games.

I am not above buying a game just to learn about the choices the designer made and how well they worked out.

A lot of games seem to drift into the shadows of unavailability or out-of-print-ness and this fear of loss kinda - to use a phrase another poster had - makes my trigger finger a little itchier than it probably should be.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Do most of you have a bunch of games that are either unopened or unplayed? The deal I made with my SO was that I would buy no more than 1 game a month and not buy any new games until i've played the ones I already own. Actually works well to make sure I only buy games I think i'm going to play and get good mileage out of them. I was wondering if anyone else did something similar.

Video games, a bunch.

But board games? Sometimes punching the pieces and reading the manual is enough stimulation I need. I have a few games that haven't hit the table yet but I open them immediately.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I don't understand how anyone owns unopened games that they aren't planning to resell. When I first get a game, the very first thing I do is punch out and sort everything that needs sorting, and dive through the rulebook and do a runthrough with just myself since I know I will have to teach it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Eh, just time I guess. I don't always have the time or the energy to dive into [GAMENAME] but I can know I will want to try it out and I want to buy it while it's available. In other words when it's available / when I buy just doesn't always match up with when I want to play.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I have 4 unopened board game expansions and 3 unplayed video games (2 of them are used, so they're kinda already "open").

Unfortunately, one of those is the Space Alert expansion because I can't get it to the table enough and my crew is scattering to the four winds!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I have too many games I haven't played or played enough.

I have 2 unplayed games and like half a dozen games that have only been played once or twice. I need to get more aggressive in getting my games to the table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I buy a mix of games I've played and games I think I will like based on research, rule book reads, and videos. The only unplayed game I have so far is the just purchased Keyflower, which I'm hoping to play tonight. Also Galaxy of Trian, but it is arriving next week. My full list of games is getting pretty large now though, which I'm pretty happy with for just starting to really build it two months ago. I'll bold my favorites/ones that get played the most

Agricola
Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small
Android Netrunner + a bunch of expansions
Ascension

Carcassonne
Caverna

Chess
Cranium
Descent 2nd edition
Dominion + Dark Ages + Adventures
Dungeon Roll
Eminent Domain
Epic Spell Wars II
Hive Pocket
Galaxy of Trian
Galaxy Trucker
Jaipur
Keyflower
Lords of Waterdeep
Love Letter
Mage Knight
Marvel Dice Masters set
Munchkin
Pandemic
Penny Arcade The Game
Phase 10
Settlers of Catan
Settlers of Catan: The Card Game
Smash Up
Summoner Wars + a bunch of expansions
Sushi Go
Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride Europe
Star Realms + expansions
Zombie Dice

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 20, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Does anyone have anything to say about Alchemists? It seems to be climbing the ranks on BGG and of course we all love CGE but I'd be interested if anyone here has given it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
rear end in a top hat player update, and relevant to the discussion about teaching games.

Played Castles of Mad King Ludwig for the first time, we were all a little shaky on the scoring rules but we figured we'd just muddle through a game and figure out as we went. But nope, not him. He had to fully understand the game from the start, so his turns took foreeeever. I think it took us 2-3 hours to play one 4 player game? And he didn't just have to understand the rules, he had to understand the strategy from the start as well! And he'd get huffy every time he tried to score because he couldn't understand it!

Augh!