Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's almost always on a trailer for mediums and closeups, even if it's Steve McQueen. It's as much for the crew's sake as it is the actor's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The vastly more important point here is that Tom Hardy is surely into bieks because normal people hamfist the bars like they're on the rowing machine.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

What is that engine, some kind of 4 cylinder boxer?

It's a BMW boxer twin, so two cylinders.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mad Max or India?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

There are a squillion and a half actual dirtbikes in the Australian outback, so there is no reason whatever why anybody in its post-apocalyptic desert would put big expensive knobbies on some retarded flat-2 cruiser but oh poo poo is that a kickass-looking steed or what?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My thoughts exactly. That thing on the back looks like one of those folding carriage tops from old cars too, so you can extend that sucker and have you some shade in the post-apocalyptic desert hell wasteland

Oh and the biker grandma clan did all their own stunts. Imagine riding that loving thing down a dune

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 19, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Smudgie Buggler posted:

There are a squillion and a half actual dirtbikes in the Australian outback, so there is no reason whatever why anybody in its post-apocalyptic desert would put big expensive knobbies on some retarded flat-2 cruiser but oh poo poo is that a kickass-looking steed or what?

In the grim darkness of the post apocalyptic outback, there is no such thing as haemorrhoid cream. A comfy seat is the best you're gonna get. :butt:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Giblet Plus! posted:

They managed to make the fugliest buell even fuglier:

You take that back, the CR is a relative beauty queen next to the Ulysses.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I feel like a double-engined 26-wheel warmachine helmed by a 1-handed Imperator is a bit of a stretch too.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 19, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

You take that back, the CR is a relative beauty queen next to the Ulysses.

You can compare Mickey Rourke to Steve Buscemi, but they're both still ugly.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Seeing that goldwing was made me giggle since I had one for awhile, those things are fun. Looking at that picture though, it looks like they have a metal bar welded above and below the rear shock! I also don't know how they managed to keep track of the sidecover, or that little shiny plastic frame bolt cover directly beneath it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Smudgie Buggler posted:

post-apocalyptic...expensive knobbies

Post apocalypse, all tires will be marked down to free for a limited time.

I'm really not seeing anything here that is any better than the top tier of the rat bike movement. Meaning those that aren't simply two wheeled versions of Katamari Damacy that rolled through a field of animal carcasses and crashed into a New Orleans souvenir shop.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well what would your lovely end times ride look like, if these are so scrub tier? :colbert:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Well what would your lovely end times ride look like, if these are so scrub tier? :colbert:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

A Suzuki in it's natural state.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hush, that's a buell.

I don't really know why Suzuki get ragged on so much. Yes, they're poo poo, but at their core, after everything else falls off/peels/rusts/turns to brittle dust, they're extremely rugged and reliable motorcycles. It's no surprise that Honda and Suzuki tend to be so popular in IOMTT and other forms of racing where dependability are paramount.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been feeling lovely about my riding skills lately, but then I watched this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEC-AanEl5Q

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Wow, that is impressively terrible

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

M42 posted:

I've been feeling lovely about my riding skills lately, but then I watched this.

wow what a tard

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Renaissance Robot posted:

Misinterpretation due to a badly constructed paragraph. Forgetting about the film bikes for a sec, the two dominant subgenres in the rat bike universe are survival and what I referred to as Katamari (one blogger in the Netherlands calls these Junk Dressers.) I have no idea if they have a more common name.

http://www.rataplan-ratbikeclub.nl/Paginas_UK/RatbikesCSS.htm#thumb

What I attempted to say was that if you consider survival bikes alone, there are builds comparable to or better than those found in the film series. The films influenced many of them, and no doubt vice versa.

http://www.rippin-kitten.com/2011/02/22/survival-bikes-aka-matte-black-rats/

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M42 posted:

You'd think that after he ran wide in every single corner leading up to his crash he'd have considered slowing down, lucky he was doing this on a Monday so there wasn't a lot of traffic to run into instead of just running off the edge of the road when he ran wide on a left hander.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Helmet cams are cool because they confirm target fixation in lovely riders.

Does anyone watch Community anymore:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Day Man posted:

Wow, that is impressively terrible

I don't often watch these because 10 minutes of my life, and they generally devolve into esoteric and nitpicky observations about weight shift, pinky placement, etc.

This, however, is easily the worst I've seen and horrible in every way. I'm certain I could do better even with my zero/donut/bupkis hours of sport bike saddle time. The obvious stuff has already been pointed out, but I don't get the reflexive jerky head checks in one or both directions, as if there are hidden driveways or leaping panthers along the Gap.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I wonder if he was a old dirt rider new to street riding. He seemed to take real tight lines and park it in every corner like that was normal

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I feel like if that was the case, he would at least not be fixating so badly. And maybe slowing down after blowing so many corners...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's what I'm saying, he doesn't think he's blowing the corner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Joey Dunlop won his first Isle of Man race on this:

And his last race on this:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Hush, that's a buell.

I don't really know why Suzuki get ragged on so much. Yes, they're poo poo, but at their core, after everything else falls off/peels/rusts/turns to brittle dust, they're extremely rugged and reliable motorcycles. It's no surprise that Honda and Suzuki tend to be so popular in IOMTT and other forms of racing where dependability are paramount.

I've been barking up the Suzuki tree for years, buddy, I've never even experienced the trials and tribulations of the famed low build quality everyone speaks of. There is no changing CA's mind on this one

Deeters posted:

Does anyone watch Community anymore:

I do, till the bitter end, and a movie :negative:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Marv Hushman posted:

Misinterpretation due to a badly constructed paragraph. Forgetting about the film bikes for a sec, the two dominant subgenres in the rat bike universe are survival and what I referred to as Katamari (one blogger in the Netherlands calls these Junk Dressers.) I have no idea if they have a more common name.

http://www.rataplan-ratbikeclub.nl/Paginas_UK/RatbikesCSS.htm#thumb

What I attempted to say was that if you consider survival bikes alone, there are builds comparable to or better than those found in the film series. The films influenced many of them, and no doubt vice versa.

http://www.rippin-kitten.com/2011/02/22/survival-bikes-aka-matte-black-rats/

But we all know that for real this is the correct answer, right?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

nsaP posted:

That's what I'm saying, he doesn't think he's blowing the corner.

He's early apexing like it's his job.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

n8r posted:

He's early apexing like it's his job.

and late braking

on the reddit, the guy who found him in the ditch said he mentioned something about early morning whiskey shots (plural)

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

M42 posted:

"Looks pretty reasonable so far; might have been recorded with a potato"

"Wow he really blew that first corner, but it can be kinda tight"

"Man he missed that hairpin..."

"Yikes he's all over the double yellow"

:stonklol:

EDIT: wow the pavement has gotten kinda rough up there

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 20, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
As crashes go, it could've been much worse, but I don't get how someone who not only goes over the double yellow multiple times, almost all the way to the white line on the opposite road doesn't just slow way the gently caress down and reassess.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Ten seconds in to that video, I felt that certainty in the pit of my stomach that he was going to crash. It became dread every time another rider or cager came into shot, it became a "will this be the person or persons he kills?", in the end he got off lightly for the amount of stupidity he exhibited.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I feel sorry for his Triumph. Bad enough to be born so ugly, looking like a Suzuki Katana, but to be misused so dramatically adds insult to injury. Further insult is added by his jacket; I wonder if doofus himself thinks it is, in fact, a Katana...

I never don't feel like I need 100,000 more miles of practice, but at least I'll be able to tell myself I'll never be quite that inept. Glad he didn't get hosed up by the crash. It wouldn't have been nearly as funny if he'd died.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MoraleHazard posted:

As crashes go, it could've been much worse, but I don't get how someone who not only goes over the double yellow multiple times, almost all the way to the white line on the opposite road doesn't just slow way the gently caress down and reassess.

"It's fine to use the whole road if there's no traffic :downsgun:"

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

builds character posted:

But we all know that for real this is the correct answer, right?

Worked for the USMC, and they know a thing or two about survival.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
USMC: Replaced entire engine to avoid having to deal with the dohickey. Used new fuel source for good measure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Diesel power is so in keeping with the spirit of the KLR that I'd look upon it much more favourably if that's what the road bike came with.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

USMC: Replaced entire engine to avoid having to deal with the dohickey. Used new fuel source for good measure.

The original form was graft-proof, so they had to figure out a way to get to a $20K unit cost.

Why this was better than a Murrican, err, British, errr, Italian MT500 nm, question answered itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

The original form was graft-proof, so they had to figure out a way to get to a $20K unit cost.

Why this was better than a Murrican, err, British, errr, Italian MT500 nm, question answered itself.

You forgot the German/Austrians who designed the engine