Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The real problem is that the classic Doom demon designs (ripped muscley dudes with red/green skin, underbites, curled horns, and hairy goat legs/hooves) are so... golden age of comics or Saturday morning cartoon looking that they would appear really goofy in something attempting to be photorealistic. Same goes for the cacodemons and their huge toothy grins and whatnot. Hell, just compare classic arachnotrons or masterminds with Krang from the classic TMNT cartoon. This is why the revenants were the only things pretty much unchanged in Doom 3 because it's just a skeleton with shoulder-mounted rockets. :10bux: says this is why it's the only demon revealed so far, because few changes have to be made to its design to modernize while still keeping it iconic (FWIW, I like the new revenant). Everything else will be a bit of a surprise in comparison.

I'd be interested to see what the other demons look like. I hope they're taken in a completely different direction from the Doom 3 designs because those were a little too alien looking. By that I mean they look too much like stereotypical aliens rather than what we think of as "demons," especially the imps and hell knights. God dammit the Doom 3 hell knights were awful.

That said, I really liked the Cyberdemon redesign in Doom 3, but it being a cyborg means there's a few more creative liberties to take with it without making it too odd. The new mancubus was pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Blood on GOG has now a Linux installer.

Mak0rz posted:

I'd be interested to see what the other demons look like. I hope they're taken in a completely different direction from the Doom 3 designs because those were a little too alien looking. By that I mean they look too much like stereotypical aliens rather than what we think of as "demons," especially the imps and hell knights. God dammit the Doom 3 hell knights were awful.

That said, I really liked the Cyberdemon redesign in Doom 3, but it being a cyborg means there's a few more creative liberties to take with it without making it too odd. The new mancubus was pretty good too.

I think except cacodemon and hell knights Doom 3's demons looked okay. Zombies and NPCs though, ugh. And don't even get me started on those spidery things, they looked extra stupid and were annoying to fight.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 19, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I was hoping that one day we could get a 3D Doom that took a more stylized approach instead of chasing photorealism, but I suppose ID has a precedent to live up to.

Even if it was just a product of the technological limitations of the time, classic Doom's stylized look has aged much better than Doom 3 has, or Doom 4 will.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Geight posted:

Fortunately, this is how all combat in every Serious Sam game is resolved, so it's a skill that one can practice a lot.

That's why I can't understand how kleers are annoying on SS3 when they throw tons of hitscan enemies at you when you are on open areas. Projectile enemies can't aim for poo poo if you bunnyhop like crazy (this is true for all SS games). I know it's a matter of taste but to me the encounters are by far the superior games (and classic revolution owns).

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Guillermus posted:

That's why I can't understand how kleers are annoying on SS3 when they throw tons of hitscan enemies at you when you are on open areas. Projectile enemies can't aim for poo poo if you bunnyhop like crazy (this is true for all SS games). I know it's a matter of taste but to me the encounters are by far the superior games (and classic revolution owns).

I find the entire series dreadfully dull but I did think the encounters had more interesting ideas than the rest, for sure. I haven't tried classic revolution yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One thing I always kind of felt odd about would be who built the rocket launchers on the backs of the revenants? Almost all other enemies, aside from the spider mastermind/arachnotron, mancubus, and cyberdemon are sort of natural, but those have actual technology built for them.

I mean, it's nit-picky, but something that always seemed weird to me. Same with picking up ammo/health in Hell.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

horse mans posted:

Someone should combine DoomRPG and DoomRL Arsenal with Brutal Doom and Project MSX and Russian Overkill. Then we'd have the ... Doomest.

lmao if you think that Doom 4 won't be exactly this

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One thing I always kind of felt odd about would be who built the rocket launchers on the backs of the revenants? Almost all other enemies, aside from the spider mastermind/arachnotron, mancubus, and cyberdemon are sort of natural, but those have actual technology built for them.
According to the little talky-talk before last year's closed-door Doom 4 demo, all these meshings of demon and technology are the result of "secret and corrupt UAC experiments". So, there you go: Some scientists thought it'd be a cool and good idea to strap a jetpack covered in rocket launchers to a constantly-screaming skeleton in meat pants. :ms:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

According to the little talky-talk before last year's closed-door Doom 4 demo, all these meshings of demon and technology are the result of "secret and corrupt UAC experiments". So, there you go: Some scientists thought it'd be a cool and good idea to strap a jetpack covered in rocket launchers to a constantly-screaming skeleton in meat pants. :ms:

Welp, that does it, thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

The real problem is that the classic Doom demon designs (ripped muscley dudes with red/green skin, underbites, curled horns, and hairy goat legs/hooves) are so... golden age of comics or Saturday morning cartoon looking that they would appear really goofy in something attempting to be photorealistic. Same goes for the cacodemons and their huge toothy grins and whatnot. Hell, just compare classic arachnotrons or masterminds with Krang from the classic TMNT cartoon. This is why the revenants were the only things pretty much unchanged in Doom 3 because it's just a skeleton with shoulder-mounted rockets. :10bux: says this is why it's the only demon revealed so far, because few changes have to be made to its design to modernize while still keeping it iconic (FWIW, I like the new revenant). Everything else will be a bit of a surprise in comparison.

I think all the classic doom creature designs look just fine even now, except the Revenant and the Arch-ville which always looked like rear end even back in the 90s.

I am just fine with things being comic book-y and rippling with muscles and poo poo. I'm sorry but pinky demons and cacodemons looked pretty metal, nothing like Krang. Just because they're kinda over the top doesn't mean they're cartoony in the kiddie sense. Just exaggerated and styled.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

mod sassinator posted:

It's not a Doom game if you can't fight John Romero's severed head. :colbert:

Keiya posted:

Wouldn't that mean that Doom isn't a Doom game?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ergo, Doom II is more Doom than Doom.

An even Doomier Doom.
Wouldn't this also mean that a mod that changed every monster in the game into some variant of a severed John Romero head and plastered severed John Romero heads all over the walls would be the Doomiest Doom of all?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

You mean UAC Military Nightmare?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

the Revenant ... always looked like rear end

:captainpop:

Zaphod42 posted:

I am just fine with things being comic book-y and rippling with muscles and poo poo. I'm sorry but pinky demons and cacodemons looked pretty metal, nothing like Krang. Just because they're kinda over the top doesn't mean they're cartoony in the kiddie sense. Just exaggerated and styled.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look too! I'm not complaining about it at all, I'm just saying some stylistic liberties have to be made if you want the classic designs to mesh with a "realistic" aesthetic.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

Sounds like most scientists I know, yeah.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played ID games in order back in the days but somehow, the Stroggs from Quake 2 kind of gave me some ideas about how the hell you get cyberdemons, arachnotrons and the spider mastermind.

Where am I heading to? UAC experimented with teleportation in other bases before Phobos and Deimons (pre doom), hell invaded said bases and "absorbed" part of that technology so they could build/create cyberdemons and all that shizzle, that would explain the amount of zombiemen on chapters 2-3 on Doom, ammo and other pickups also teleports. Basically Doom and Doom 2 are sequels of a previous invasion, like the Stroggs invading other planets before loving up with humanity on Quake Wars (wich comes before Quake 2 and 4).

:psylon:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
the strogg are a really bad plot.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Still better than anything else ID came with. Also Quake 4 Stroggification was cool as hell, think about some guy becoming a Revenant.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I mean, it's nit-picky, but something that always seemed weird to me. Same with picking up ammo/health in Hell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know, aside from it just not being very good, I think one of the major problems with the Doom movie was that it had nothing to do with demons from Hell.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And Carmack being a scientist with questionable ethics :can:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bio force gun

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Obviously the Cyberdemon, after having his arm and leg blown off by BJ Blazkowicz at the end of Wolf RPG, took a wrong turn in Shub Niggurath's slipgate system and wound up on Stroggos, where they outfitted him with his cybernetic hoof and rocket launcher arm, and when he arrived back in hell the Icon of Sin was so impressed with the end result that it sent Arachnotrons and Spider Masterminds to Stroggos for cybernetic amplification, too. Meanwhile Billy Blaze accidentally cloned himself four times over, and since the clones turned out to be evil, he decided to tie nooses around their necks and hang them inside a weird, blocky castle he found hidden inside his hometown. (I'm not even going to try to tie Hovertank, Catacombs, Heretic, Hexen or Orcs & Elves into this mess.)

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

spongeh posted:

the strogg are a really bad plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh90P6VdilM

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

The Kins posted:

gently caress yeah. Really, you've got some perfectly good skeletons and rocket launchers laying around, what else would you do? Well aside from building a catapult and having the most metal game of skeet ever

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

M.Ciaster posted:

gently caress yeah. Really, you've got some perfectly good skeletons and rocket launchers laying around, what else would you do? Well aside from building a catapult and having the most metal game of skeet ever

Skip to 4:40 because youtube sucks and doesn't let link the exact moment anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzcL9MKI54&t=280s

:getin:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 19, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Skip to 4:40 because youtube sucks and doesn't let link the exact moment anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzcL9MKI54

:getin:

Just stick #t=4m40s at the end

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh cheers thank you! :neckbeard:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Zaphod42 posted:

I think all the classic doom creature designs look just fine even now, except the Revenant and the Arch-ville which always looked like rear end even back in the 90s.

No way. The Archvile is cool as poo poo. The way it stalks you while loving laughing scared me as a kid. It also resurrects demons, raises its arms in the air like a mad hell-preacher and is so badass demons will never hurt it intentionally even if it goes to town on them. Basically they're the psycho bishops of hell and there is great potential to make them scary and cool in the new Doom.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

maev posted:

No way. The Archvile is cool as poo poo. The way it stalks you while loving laughing scared me as a kid. It also resurrects demons, raises its arms in the air like a mad hell-preacher and is so badass demons will never hurt it intentionally even if it goes to town on them. Basically they're the psycho bishops of hell and there is great potential to make them scary and cool in the new Doom.

They'll probably be beings made from flames, like a masculine, demonic Flame Atronach from the Elder Scrolls.

Also, wouldn't it be super loving awesome if the new Doom was able to read and use WAD files, at least for maps? It would update the textures and enemies/items, but otherwise, it'd be the same layout. :allears:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Doom's version of hell always had weird biotech stuff built in. Like the Icon of Sin and whatnot, and all those rooms of corpses wired together with the big skull switch. And the cyberdemon.

Like I think the concept of pinky demons, a big sort of quadrupedal big mouthed monster, is perfectly good for a monster, just so long as you dont do it all cartoony.

although the cacos in doom 3 sucked, because they just looked generic and dumped the main caco characteristics

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

maev posted:

:agreed:

also doom 4 will never in a million years live up to the originals, but if it manages to be as decent as quake 4 was, ill be glad

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It really needs to be fast and chaotic. That's really what we love about Doom/2, is it not?

I can't be the only one who kind of considers Quake to be the real Doom 3, can I?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

It really needs to be fast and chaotic. That's really what we love about Doom/2, is it not?

I can't be the only one who kind of considers Quake to be the real Doom 3, can I?

Doom 64 feels more like the real Doom 3

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

the wizards beard posted:

Doom 64 feels more like the real Doom 3

Honestly does, especially considering the story and how it ends and its overall gloomy atmosphere.

Doomguy, unable to cope with his Hell-born PTSD, descends into a spiral of madness where he both has nonstop nightmares of the devilspawn he faced but also longs to massacre them. He is given one final mission: Kill every single demon still alive. After finally killing the Mother Demon, Doomguy knows drat well he'll never adjust to modern life, and so he actually stays in Hell, forever pursuing his one-man hellspawn genocide. :stare:

I also really loving hope they actually call this game Doom 4 instead of just Doom. That would piss me off to no end.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MONKET posted:

Honestly does, especially considering the story and how it ends and its overall gloomy atmosphere.

Doomguy, unable to cope with his Hell-born PTSD, descends into a spiral of madness where he both has nonstop nightmares of the devilspawn he faced but also longs to massacre them. He is given one final mission: Kill every single demon still alive. After finally killing the Mother Demon, Doomguy knows drat well he'll never adjust to modern life, and so he actually stays in Hell, forever pursuing his one-man hellspawn genocide. :stare:

I also really loving hope they actually call this game Doom 4 instead of just Doom. That would piss me off to no end.

Ok, what's the WAD that lets me play Doom 64 on the PC Doom engine? I need to play this.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Either Doom 64: Absolution, or Doom64EX. You'll need a rom to play Doom64ex, but it's perfectly accurate to the n64 game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ok, what's the WAD that lets me play Doom 64 on the PC Doom engine? I need to play this.
Grab a Doom 64 ROM and use Doom 64 EX to play it natively on PC.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

Either Doom 64: Absolution, or Doom64EX. You'll need a rom to play Doom64ex, but it's perfectly accurate to the n64 game.

Absolution blows. Do not play it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
To elaborate: Doom 64 Absolution was a fan-made remake where all the levels were rebuilt manually by-eye in a somewhat obsoleted engine (Doomsday) using "texture dumper"-style emulator plugins to get the assets. It was good for the time, but Doom 64 Ex shames it by reverse-engineering and using the actual data formats from the ROM to get as close as one can reasonably get to a perfect port without actually having access to Midway's development environment.

Doom 64 Ex also supports OSX. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Holy poo poo, that other Blake Stone source port has taken leaps and bounds ahead of where it was when I last checked. You can play with modern controls! It has support for both Planet Strike and Aliens of Gold! You can turn of the wall hit sounds of you want! No widescreen it looks like, but other than that it's basically ECBlake.

It's here!