Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PCOS Bill posted:

This motherfucker doesn't head check.

Get the gently caress off the road.

Oh god I'm agreeing with PCOS Bill :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No, you see, if you just adjust your mirrors, you can assume there's nobody 2 lanes over moving into the same lane you are at the same time, and you'll be right sometimes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

edit, Ferrari finally let motor trend put their testing stuff on a laferrari*

*but would only let them test acceleration on the downhill straight.

Also, apparently reply is not edit :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUHOx-_1xZc

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 19, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

edit, Ferrari finally let motor trend put their testing stuff on a laferrari*

*but would only let them test acceleration on the downhill straight.

:mediocre:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm really upset that nobody is pissed off enough at Ferrari to offer theirs up for testing, blacklist be damned. Does Jay Leno have one? I bet he'd do it.

Then again, the only people they let have the car are the ones that suck Ferrari's cock the hardest, so it's not surprising.

A massive douchebag posted:

It’s not just about who bought the most expensive cars, it’s also about your engagement with Ferrari. Who loves the brand, who goes to the Formula One clubs, who comes to the factory, who does Corsa Pilote, who really lives and breathes the brand.
...some customers who are valid customers won’t receive the car. But that’s supply and demand.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 19, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

I'm really upset that nobody is pissed off enough at Ferrari to offer theirs up for testing, blacklist be damned. Does Jay Leno have one? I bet he'd do it.

Then again, the only people they let have the car are the ones that suck Ferrari's cock the hardest, so it's not surprising.

Isn't this the one that Ferrari keeps and only lets you take it out once in awhile where they approve?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Isn't this the one that Ferrari keeps and only lets you take it out once in awhile where they approve?

No, that's the FXX. Those aren't street legal.

Edit:

If I'm ever filthy rich enough to not give a poo poo, I'm going to buy whatever the current exclusive Ferrari is and get this painted on it:

Enzo can suck it. :toxx:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 19, 2015

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KillHour posted:

No, that's the FXX. Those aren't street legal.

They're doing one of these based on the LaFerrari called the FXX K.

No, seriously...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 19, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I saw a diagram a while ago (possibly in this thread) showing the side profile of a 5-series and how pedestrian impact regulations end up changing the design of the entire car, usually for the worse.

e: found it

Yeah, read that diagram. Only 0.8 inch of clearance is needed from the tallest hard part under a hood. The rest of the changes are done for styling, not impact regs. Go look at a 90's car, move the hood up an inch, and you can see that doesn't account for all the other changes being made. So it's NOT pedestrian impact regulations causing belt lines to move up as bad as they are.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

Yeah, read that diagram. Only 0.8 inch of clearance is needed from the tallest hard part under a hood. The rest of the changes are done for styling, not impact regs. Go look at a 90's car, move the hood up an inch, and you can see that doesn't account for all the other changes being made. So it's NOT pedestrian impact regulations causing belt lines to move up as bad as they are.

It's side impact regulations, and also partially because people subconsciously want a car that looks safe.

It's the same reason why the doors on Volvos bulge out the way they do. It makes them look more solid, and thus safer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Coredump posted:

What's particularly damning is that the firstgen Camaro had an optional low profile cowl hood.

Just do something like that to get your clearance, instead of raising the dash and beltline along with it. Nobody buying a pony car is going to complain about a slightly taller cowl in their line of sight.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Coredump posted:

I have a feeling most cars built before 2005 have more than 0.8 inches of space between the hood and the engine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How is my fat goon body going to dukes of hazzard in through that small camaro window? Can I get T Tops?

Edit: Also does the stupid dented roof mean no sunroof to flick my beer cans out of?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Coredump posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant by affecting the design, it's all done to keep a certain appearance. It was stolen from Car and Driver though, so any extrapolations they make from quoting the standard is on them.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 19, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
EVO Nomad Review

I can't wait to see more reviews. I still want one.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

fknlo posted:

EVO Nomad Review

I can't wait to see more reviews. I still want one.

I can actually see this being a lot more fun than an Atom in the real world, on real roads.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ynotony posted:

I can actually see this being a lot more fun than an Atom in the real world, on real roads.

My entire thought process is that I can probably have more legal fun in that than almost anything else out there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

fknlo posted:

My entire thought process is that I can probably have more legal fun in that than almost anything else out there.

The amount of trouble you could get into with that thing on some gravel roads. It would awesome.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Raluek posted:

What's particularly damning is that the firstgen Camaro had an optional low profile cowl hood.

Just do something like that to get your clearance, instead of raising the dash and beltline along with it. Nobody buying a pony car is going to complain about a slightly taller cowl in their line of sight.

You know, it's entirely possible that there might, just might, be a few rule changes in the ensuing fifty loving years since that car was designed that would make such a thing impossible today.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Aventador LP 750-4 got a 6:59:73 around the ring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-KRcEpQEM

Almost as fast as that rumored then disavowed Z06 run. Still waiting for Chevy to get a new run with a video. At this point I'm wondering if they're going to swap the Pilot Sport 2's for those new Kuhmo's the Viper ACR has for next year's model and record a time with that. I think Kuhmo made thsoe specifically for the ACR so I imagine they'd have to make ones sized for the Corvette. Is that a possibility or does GM have some agreement with Michelin they wouldn't break?

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 19, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are plenty of new cars on the road today that aren't slab sided pillboxes with a CoG higher than the Burj Khalifa. It can be built and it can be built and meet all crash safety standards.

That's just not what people are buying right now, so they aren't making it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

davebo posted:

Almost as fast as that rumored then disavowed Z06 run. Still waiting for Chevy to get a new run with a video. At this point I'm wondering if they're going to swap the Pilot Sport 2's for those new Kuhmo's the Viper ACR has for next year's model and record a time with that. I think Kuhmo made thsoe specifically for the ACR so I imagine they'd have to make ones sized for the Corvette. Is that a possibility or does GM have some agreement with Michelin they wouldn't break?

They put Pirelli Trofeo R's on the Z/28 so I don't think so.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Given the lack of regulations restricting shitheads from driving giant trucks and SUVs I can't really fault people for wanting cars with high sides and CUVs over more traditional sedans.

Those 90s Hondas had amazing greenhouses but I'd much rather be in a taller CUV or slab-sided sedan when some idiot fucker rolls coal right into my driver's door.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I mean, if they're going to make the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger belt lines so high, they could at least raise the roof line a couple more inches.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

davebo posted:

I don't think there's an agreement, but when one company develops a tire for you, and your engineers tune the car for those tires, someone's not going to be happy with all the wasted time/effort/money. And I don't think Corvette needs to ditch the Pilot Sport Cup 2s to beat the Viper ACR, it needs more downforce.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrChips posted:

You know, it's entirely possible that there might, just might, be a few rule changes in the ensuing fifty loving years since that car was designed that would make such a thing impossible today.

Whuh? My point was that they're styling the fifth gen after the first gen. If they needed to raise the hood an inch or so to get that engine clearance, thereby loving up the beltline and the rest of the car as that diagram implied, they have an alternate solution in the form of a cowl hood that would already be "correct" for a car styled after a firstgen Camaro to have.

E: Oh, I guess they're calling the 2016 the 6th gen.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Finally made it into a new job where I can afford to buy something brand new, and I've been looking at the 2015 Chevrolet Impala. I love what Chevy did to take the car from "boring rental car" status into something a bit closer to premium and more fun to drive. I can't decide between a Chrysler 300 or the new Impala though. Both look nice for the price tag and they're both pretty fun to drive. I feel like you get a bit more car out of the Impala.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

PsychicToaster posted:

Finally made it into a new job where I can afford to buy something brand new, and I've been looking at the 2015 Chevrolet Impala. I love what Chevy did to take the car from "boring rental car" status into something a bit closer to premium and more fun to drive. I can't decide between a Chrysler 300 or the new Impala though. Both look nice for the price tag and they're both pretty fun to drive. I feel like you get a bit more car out of the Impala.

The 300 is a design icon.
Walter White's car.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

PsychicToaster posted:

Charger R/T Road and Track if affordable to you? That'd be my choice in the full size department. Drives a whole lot better than the 300 and Impala with a whole heck of a lot more power.

Or you could just go Scat Pack for full size awesomeness.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PsychicToaster posted:

Well, the Chrysler 300 is, as mentioned, a design icon and the last reasonably affordable proper RWD sedan.

The Impala is an ugly FWD shitbox Chevy.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PsychicToaster posted:

Abarth

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PsychicToaster posted:

:colbert:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My good friend drives a 300 SRT8. It's loving incredible. The drat thing will chill your cupholders!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

My good friend drives a 300 SRT8. It's loving incredible. The drat thing will chill your cupholders!

Counterpoint: It's a $50k 300.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm guessing both the SRT8 and this are out of his price range, but I figured I'd throw it in anyway.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
My price range is around 50k. I do like the Hyundai Genesis as well. I worked at Mercedes-Benz for the last year and god drat it's pretty E350ish.

I'm not looking for too much power to be honest. I live in an area where there's little crime and the cops have not a drat thing better to do than look for anyone going so much as 5MPH over the speed limit.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

fknlo posted:

Some more pictures:

The real problem to me is that they keep making it more and more bland. That rear almost looks like it might have come off a generic family sedan and the front is gradually getting less interesting too. I'm pretty sure GM won't be satisfied until it looks like a Malibu. :shrug:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

This. Drive one, it straight up murders the impala and 300 for luxury and drive quality.

Mine gets here next week :)

TKIY fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 20, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Counterpoint: Bajaja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

Counterpoint: Bajaja

He had a dealer issue more than a brand one. I'm using the same dealer so I can vouch for their scumminess.