Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Anyone did the secondary quest "Wild at Heart" ?

I finished it but still have the 'Mysterious Note' found in the cabin in my inventory, shouldn't it vanish like other quest-papers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RatHat posted:

That doesn't aggro guards or piss off the villagers?

The game will tell you if you're about to do something that would set the guards off.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

Two quick questions:

1. Do you not get XP from killing monsters?
2. Is there a fix for the open inventory and game crashes? It seems to happen 1/3 times i go to my inventory.

1. dunno

2. People have mentioned disabling power-saving settings for your gpu

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

am i looking in the wrong places or is there literally nothing you can do around level 3-4 in terms of questing besides the "main" quest, which is like 2 levels above you in difficulty

Do the main story quest until you meet the Blood Baron and he gives you the quest to find his child and wife then that big towns notification board opens up and gives you a bunch of quests.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

g-c posted:

I am getting straight up raped by the Werewolf during the Wild at Heart quest.

This is the one witcher contract so far that forced me to abandon the last stage and come back later with more levels and equipment. In other news a certain quest invoving dungeon crawling together with a "witch" was absolutely incredible

Metal Bear
Jun 18, 2014

gently caress werewolves, with a rake. That is all.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The herbalist in valena has a potion of clearance(i.e. a respec potion). You can't really miss her either, she's involved in a story quest.

Sekenr posted:

This is the one witcher contract so far that forced me to abandon the last stage and come back later with more levels and equipment. In other news a certain quest invoving dungeon crawling together with a "witch" was absolutely incredible
Yeah this quest was rad.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Has anyone done the plague island quest? Does it get a happy ending if you agree to take her bones to be buried ashore? I somehow doubt it, but I didn't agree to it because what she was saying seemed wrong, and bringing a pestilence wraith to the mainland doesn't exactly sound like the smartest idea.

You take her bones to Graham and he says he'll bury her. When you walk out there's a scream and when you go back inside he's dead with a wraith over him. It escapes before you can do anything to it. I figure it'll be relevant later.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

g-c posted:

Talking about actual gameplay here:

Wild at Heart Quest -

I chose to let the werewolf husband man kill Hana's sister, which I kind of regret doing now. I should have let her live just so that I could be satisfied knowing she had to live the rest of her life with the fact that she murdered her own sister to be with sister's husband. Sloot.

Do you still have the mysterious note in your Quest Items ?

And about your spoilers

I choose to let her live and she is staying at the house crying

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Does anyone know what to do with the shimmering wall at the back of the Dragonslayer's grotto? I haven't seen the symbol that comes up when you look at it with Witcher senses and don't know what it wants me to do.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

tehllama posted:

Does anyone know what to do with the shimmering wall at the back of the Dragonslayer's grotto? I haven't seen the symbol that comes up when you look at it with Witcher senses and don't know what it wants me to do.

I haven't found that yet but there's an item you get during the story that interacts with shimmering walls so I'm assuming that's it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any reason I shouldn't be taking reward money from people aside from the sob story the game always seems to try and talk me out of it with?

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Sekenr posted:

I managed to get it at level 4 after about my 12th try. The trick kind of clicked and I just barely got him. I've done numerous side quests and I'm not even half way through level 4. I'm literally dying every five minutes or less.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Do you still have the mysterious note in your Quest Items ?

And about your spoilers

I choose to let her live and she is staying at the house crying

Yes I do, not sure why either.

and Excellent... Exxxxcellent

g-c fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 20, 2015

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Phoix posted:

I haven't found that yet but there's an item you get during the story that interacts with shimmering walls so I'm assuming that's it.

Ahh that's what I was afraid of, thanks.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

am i looking in the wrong places or is there literally nothing you can do around level 3-4 in terms of questing besides the "main" quest, which is like 2 levels above you in difficulty

You can totally take the Griffin if you've done the well quest and the brother quest. I know it says its a way higher level but you can do it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You can totally take the Griffin if you've done the well quest and the brother quest. I know it says its a way higher level but you can do it.

griffin? dude i killed that thing at level 2. after that theres just a famine of questing for 2-5ish from what i can tell. i got to almost 4 from doing literally everything in the starting area.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't be taking reward money from people aside from the sob story the game always seems to try and talk me out of it with?
I think one of the themes of this game is that despite being a grizzled badass Geralt is a big softy and is usually pretty willing to lend a free, helping hand because he realizes that the world is only as ugly as he makes it out to be.

Also apparently eschewing monetary compensation nets you higher experience gains

When do I get my first, non-clown armor? Found a gambeson but it's patterned in blue and white diamonds and come on, ese.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

griffin? dude i killed that thing at level 2. after that theres just a famine of questing for 2-5ish from what i can tell. i got to almost 4 from doing literally everything in the starting area.

Move on homie. There's a whole world out there. Stop slumming it in the tutorial zone

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Move on homie. There's a whole world out there. Stop slumming it in the tutorial zone

im out of there.

thats the problem lol

i just beat a bunch of level 6-7 stuff in the main quest at level 4.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

^^^^ There's a level 33 quest on one of those bulletin boards. Go try that out.

NESguerilla posted:

Sometimes you get great poo poo instead. Personally I do it based on a sliding scale. If I think they can pay I take it, if they're a dick I take the money and haggle for more, if they're a nice broke rear end peasant with a dying daughter and poo poo then yea I turn it down, roleplaying and all that.

There was no way I was turning down the money for the Griffin, they're a massive empire (can pay)and the captain just whipped the poo poo out of some poor peasant (is a dick) Thats the double whammy.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 20, 2015

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress? Initially, the game ran at 60fps on high settings.

Now it barely tops 40. Same game region.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Innerguard posted:

How the gently caress? Initially, the game ran at 60fps on high settings.

Now it barely tops 40. Same game region.

Sounds like your copy has been downgraded.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This game feels better with mouse and keyboard.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

What's the deal with the enemy at the end of Wild at Heart.
I get 2/3rds of the way through the healthbar and then suddenly MASSIVE REGENERATIVE POWERS ENGAGE! and I can't out damage the regen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Also apparently eschewing monetary compensation nets you higher experience gains

Cool. Figured it was something like that.

One more question. I've been taking jobs off the job board and they don't show up under quests. Is there some other place these are logged?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Nah it also happens if you have the touchpad disabled.

Yeah it happens to me where I get that pop up all the time using a wired 360 controller.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Death March trip report: Beat the gryphon with three tries, Quen still stupidly overpowered.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

1stGear posted:

Death March trip report: Beat the gryphon with three tries, Quen still stupidly overpowered.

I had run across a power stone for quen before that fight. It made it stupidly easy.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If they were hosed up, don't you think there would be a lot more people here and other outlets complaining of crashing? I'm on their game ready drivers and only ran into 1 crash because of my slightly overzealous overclocking that I thought was stable. After fixing that, it's been rock solid for the several hours I've played last night.

Obviously not everyone has the same problem, but I don't think it's a driver problem.

Do you use SLI? Do you use a 900 series card? Did you ignore all the crashing posts in this thread? Many people have this problem, which is how I found out about how downgrading from the GTA V drivers fixes it in the first place.

If your kernel mode driver is having crashes and reboots for absolutely no reason, in or out of Witcher 3, downgrade to the pre GTA V drivers. Or if you want to use SLI, alternatively get hosed :v:

The drivers are bad and they should have already been fixed considering this has been around for a month now.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Holy poo poo. I just got to play as Ciri.

There had better be an epilogue or something where you can play as her. Zipping about and being a terrifying dervish of sword strikes was :black101: as gently caress.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Anyone know what Automatic Finishers in the options do? How do I manually execute a finisher move?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

How do I repair my weapon? I'd think it would require finding a blacksmith, but I read that it can be done in combat? I see no such feature in the menus though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Thunderbro posted:

Do you use SLI? Do you use a 900 series card? Did you ignore all the crashing posts in this thread? Many people have this problem, which is how I found out about how downgrading from the GTA V drivers fixes it in the first place.

If your kernel mode driver is having crashes and reboots for absolutely no reason, in or out of Witcher 3, downgrade to the pre GTA V drivers. Or if you want to use SLI, alternatively get hosed :v:

The drivers are bad and they should have already been fixed considering this has been around for a month now.

Don't use SLI. Using an Asus Strix GTX 970 with modest overclock. I didn't ignore all the crashing posts because they sound like setup issues rather than drivers.

Sorry you and other people are having problems, but I don't believe it's the drivers.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

How do I repair my weapon? I'd think it would require finding a blacksmith, but I read that it can be done in combat? I see no such feature in the menus though.

Use one of the weapon repair items, you should find them in consumables. Just click the item, select use, and pick what you want to repair.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Schlesische posted:

What's the deal with the enemy at the end of Wild at Heart.
I get 2/3rds of the way through the healthbar and then suddenly MASSIVE REGENERATIVE POWERS ENGAGE! and I can't out damage the regen.

Dirimithm (or whatever) bombs will prevent the regen.

Bugblatter posted:

Repair kits exist for both armor and weapons. Sold by their respective smiths and some traders.

lonter posted:

Anyone know what Automatic Finishers in the options do? How do I manually execute a finisher move?

Axii affected targets have a high chance to be autokilled with those animations. Finishers off just makes the animations not happen to the last humanoid in a fight.

I'll answer questions whenever I check the thread but I'm pretty stuck in.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Since this is the Witcher thread, I might as well ask.

Was a fix ever found for the cutscenes in 1? Basically anytime I'm not in control the screentears like a madman. It's an issue even in the FMV.

It won't be a big deal after the tutorial, as the game is a bit lacking in big cutscenes, but it's still annoying.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

RatHat posted:

Is there any way to respec in this game? I think I'm gonna go the Signs route instead and I'd prefer not to restart if I don't have to.

Well, you can switch out skills in the character screen, so you're not completely locked into a skillset. Your ability points are spent and gone though, but considering there are supposedly 50 levels + bonus ability points from places of power, you should be able to dip into a lot of skills.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How do I get under the tree on Whispering Hillock? Been running around the search area in SuperFOVMode for a while, see nothing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I think one of the themes of this game is that despite being a grizzled badass Geralt is a big softy and is usually pretty willing to lend a free, helping hand because he realizes that the world is only as ugly as he makes it out to be.

One of the big themes of the series is that Geralt is a hypocrite. He preaches about not getting involved but constantly gets himself involved. He reserves his most acid bile for true believers but always seems to end up roughing it in the woods on some important mission surrounded by true believers. He has a lot of chances to walk away throughout the series, but he always broods and argues himself around to getting involved. And then he complains about it endlessly to everyone within earshot.

I think that's why he'll always go back to Yennifer over Triss. With Triss he would have nothing to complain about, so he couldn't ever really be satisfied.

Depending on how you look at it Geralt is either a jerk who constantly makes bad choices, or the most sullen and annoying hero in the land, and it's nice that the games embrace that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RatHat posted:

Is there any way to respec in this game? I think I'm gonna go the Signs route instead and I'd prefer not to restart if I don't have to.

Look out for something called Potion of Clearance. I saw one in Keira Metz' inventory.