Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Arglebargle III posted:

One of the big themes of the series is that Geralt is a hypocrite. He preaches about not getting involved but constantly gets himself involved. He reserves his most acid bile for true believers but always seems to end up roughing it in the woods on some important mission surrounded by true believers. He has a lot of chances to walk away throughout the series, but he always broods and argues himself around to getting involved. And then he complains about it endlessly to everyone within earshot.

I think that's why he'll always go back to Yennifer over Triss. With Triss he would have nothing to complain about, so he couldn't ever really be satisfied.

Depending on how you look at it Geralt is either a jerk who constantly makes bad choices, or the most sullen and annoying hero in the land, and it's nice that the games embrace that.

He just seems realistic to me. He wants to be neutral but he's not hard hearted enough to walk away when the weak are being abused and he's a loving sucker for helping out his friends even it gets him involved in larger machinations. That's why he's great. He's actually conflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Someone please confirm or deny that tattoo gets imported?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is there a way to increase the amount that you items sell for? Not great selling my stuff off for 10% of the price from the inventory.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SpRahl posted:

Confirmed.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SpRahl posted:

according to ~the internet~ Ves and Roche actually react to it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Less than an hour in and already ran into a man with no pants. Witcher 2 lives on.

GOTY

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
Are there any benchmarks with a resolution of 1680x1050? Can I expect to max everything and use the tweaks at that resolution with a 980 GTX?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus. Hairworks. That was it. I had it set to Geralt only, and it was making GBS threads the bed.

I can set Hairworks to off, everything on to ultra and I get 60fps

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm kind of on the fence about what platform to buy this for, I got a pc, with a i5 4690k not overclocked, 8gb ram and a gtx 760 2gb gddr5. I also have a ps4. I don't really feel like upgrading my video card right now and I feel like that's the only weak part of my computer, do you guys think I would get equal to the ps4 visuals on the pc version at 1920x1200? or not as good?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 20, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

according to ~the internet~ Ves and Roche actually react to it.

They do, so does Ciri and Yennefer.

Has anyone seen Iorveth and Saskia yet? Roche and Ves seem prominent so far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He just seems realistic to me. He wants to be neutral but he's not hard hearted enough to walk away when the weak are being abused and he's a loving sucker for helping out his friends even it gets him involved in larger machinations. That's why he's great. He's actually conflicted.

Right, but he's reliably not neutral. You can pretty much guarantee that when something's going on Geralt is going to get himself involved, probably after having delivered a big speech about how you should never get involved and all causes are pointless. His friends even roll their eyes and needle him about his "vaunted Witcher neutrality."

Geralt chooses to get involved in things, he just justifies it by telling himself and everyone around him how miserable he is about getting roped into whatever quest he's on at the moment, constantly and at high snark factor.

Look at his track record:

Witcher: "I want to get some stolen documents back." *tears down a religious order's castle looking for orphan kid*

Witcher 2: "I want to save Triss." *founds a small country*

Witcher 3: "I want to find Yennifer." *???*

Do you think ??? is going to be *finds Yennifer, goes home*?

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm kind of on the fence about what console to buy this for, I got a pc, with a i5 4690k not overclocked, 8gb ram and a gtx 760. I also have a ps4. I don't really feel like upgrading my video card right now and I feel like that's the only weak part of my computer, do you guys think I would get equal to the ps4 visuals on the pc version? or not as good?

The PS4 isn't a very high bar to beat granted you have hardware from the last few years. I run about 30-35 on a 670 so I'd say to expect 30-40 fps on medium-high. In sum your PC copy will look as good if not better while eeking out a few more frames. My opinion of course.

For reference, the ps4 version runs at 30 fps with occasional dips to about 25.

Trilin fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 20, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Right, but he's reliably not neutral. You can pretty much guarantee that when something's going on Geralt is going to get himself involved, probably after having delivered a big speech about how you should never get involved and all causes are pointless. His friends even roll their eyes and needle him about his "vaunted Witcher neutrality."

Geralt chooses to get involved in things, he just justifies it by telling himself and everyone around him how miserable he is about getting roped into whatever quest he's on at the moment, constantly and at high snark factor.

Witcher: "I want to get some stolen documents back." *tears down a religious order's castle looking for orphan kid*

Probably prevent the heat death of the Continent. Maybe get the Emperor buggered on the side.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I love this game so loving much. It's everything I hoped for.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arglebargle III posted:

Its presumably going to be "Stops an invasion of space elves, prevents the coming of Tedd Deireadh, bangs all of the hottest chicks on the Continent, and a non-zero chance of killing Emperor Emhyr while he's doing it."

The entire time he will bitch about he's only doing it cause he's getting paid (he is not getting paid).

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Haha. In his defense Geralt is well known and ultra competent. If you think you can find any leverage over Geralt then you're going to do it to get his aid. Although at this point you'd think everyone would realize that enlisting Geralt only guarantees shits going sidewise and a ton of people are going to die.

I seriously love that Geralt is a begrudging hero and a total curmudgeon about it. It cracks me up.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I really think there is something weird about XP gain, and i don't get it.

I have 951 XP, i kill a drowner and i am apparently at 958 XP, so i kill one get 0 XP. I kill several more and i am at 958 XP. :confused:

I've cleared almost all the question mark areas on the first map, and i am still level 1. :smith:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

UberJumper posted:

I really think there is something weird about XP gain, and i don't get it.

I have 951 XP, i kill a drowner and i am apparently at 958 XP, so i kill one get 0 XP. I kill several more and i am at 958 XP. :confused:

I've cleared almost all the question mark areas on the first map, and i am still level 1. :smith:

Do the quests from the bulletin board

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Trilin posted:

The PS4 isn't a very high bar to beat granted you have hardware from the last few years. I run about 30-35 on a 670 so I'd say to expect 30-40 fps on medium-high. In sum your PC copy will look as good if not better while eeking out a few more frames. My opinion of course.

no? I heard it looked almost as good as good as the pc version on max.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Innerguard posted:

Jesus. Hairworks. That was it. I had it set to Geralt only, and it was making GBS threads the bed.

I can set Hairworks to off, everything on to ultra and I get 60fps

Hairworks is loving brutal. Like, I don't know what you'd need to have to run with it on and still get 60fps, but it's a hell of a lot more than I have (i5-4690k, 980gtx).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Memento posted:

Hairworks is loving brutal. Like, I don't know what you'd need to have to run with it on and still get 60fps, but it's a hell of a lot more than I have (i5-4690k, 980gtx).

Reading that Nvidia tweaking guide, it sounds like every individual hairworks hair is anti-aliased. If anything it's not the hair itself causing the huge slowdown, but the AA applied to every single hair.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this feels so goddamn janky on the PS4. Like, probably the worst case I can remember in FPS dips, even riding the drat horse has stuttering constantly. It really sucks. Geralt in general just feels like a jerky puppet on strings.

And that loving fall damage from falling like 2 feet? Really? Can that bullshit get patched out?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

no? I heard it looked almost as good as good as the pc version on max.

I can't compare but the PS4 version is gorgeous. I have zero complaints about the looks thus far. Walking through a wind whipped forest at night while a light shower of rain falls and then rolling up to a cemetery to fight a Wraith is one of the coolest experiences I've had thus far.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm kind of on the fence about what platform to buy this for, I got a pc, with a i5 4690k not overclocked, 8gb ram and a gtx 760 2gb gddr5. I also have a ps4. I don't really feel like upgrading my video card right now and I feel like that's the only weak part of my computer, do you guys think I would get equal to the ps4 visuals on the pc version at 1920x1200? or not as good?

I'm running about the same, 770 and 16 gigs of RAM being the biggest difference. I can run 30fps with Hairworks on, 60 with it off.

Edit: Only a couple complaints. Fall damage from like 3 feet up, and Geralt's sexy legs.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 20, 2015

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Memento posted:

Sounds like Tomb Raider on the PC, I could max that poo poo out 60fps no prob, turn on tressfx, which is basically the same thing afaik the game would drop to like 20.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I'm running about the same, 770 and 16 gigs of RAM being the biggest difference. I can run 30fps with Hairworks on, 60 with it off.

Yeah? The 770 is better but not crazy better so that's good news, I'm okay without full on 60fps as long as it isn't sub 20. you got everything maxed out cept hair?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 20, 2015

Burns
May 10, 2008

Barring some minor quips with the game, I'm really enjoying the world and setting. Can't wait to see more of it. Just got to Valen. As for those quips: Umm, sunrise is at 3am in this world, kind of odd, not much of a night-time going on. Also, night time doesn't seem to have much effect on monsters/monster spawn rates from what I can tell. Also the fact that Merchants never leave their posts (at least in the starting area) is also really gamey and I don't like it because I'm a massive immersion sperg.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Reading that Nvidia tweaking guide, it sounds like every individual hairworks hair is anti-aliased. If anything it's not the hair itself causing the huge slowdown, but the AA applied to every single hair.

Someone posted that reddit link that points to the setting to change the AA on the hair. I definitely want to give that a try when I get home from work...

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Do the quests from the bulletin board

Did all 3 quests from the bulletin board. Unless there is more?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

^^^^ Have you done any of the griffin quest? Also what difficulty are you on? You should definitely be at least level 2 by now

Burns posted:

Barring some minor quips with the game, I'm really enjoying the world and setting. Can't wait to see more of it. Just got to Valen. As for those quips: Umm, sunrise is at 3am in this world, kind of odd, not much of a night-time going on. Also, night time doesn't seem to have much effect on monsters/monster spawn rates from what I can tell. Also the fact that Merchants never leave their posts (at least in the starting area) is also really gamey and I don't like it because I'm a massive immersion sperg.

You know what's interesting. The herbalist did the normal sleep/wake routine but once I went to see her for the quest she became perma-awake. Merely being touched by Geralts presence is like drinking a case of 5-hour energy.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 20, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I can't compare but the PS4 version is gorgeous. I have zero complaints about the looks thus far. Walking through a wind whipped forest at night while a light shower of rain falls and then rolling up to a cemetery to fight a Wraith is one of the coolest experiences I've had thus far.

Yeah I'm only a few hours in but my only complaint is that you encounter something called a noonwraith, that would look so much loving cooler if it was a midnightwraith.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Haha. In his defense Geralt is well known and ultra competent. If you think you can find any leverage over Geralt then you're going to do it to get his aid. Although at this point you'd think everyone would realize that enlisting Geralt only guarantees shits going sidewise and a ton of people are going to die.

I seriously love that Geralt is a begrudging hero and a total curmudgeon about it. It cracks me up.

geralt's the kinda guy who secretly looks at kitten videos on youtube and donates to homeless shelters while wearing a hood so no one recognizes him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You could say the first Witcher game is explicitly about Geralt's hypocrisy. The plot revolves around the tension between what Geralt says and what Geralt does. Even the main bad guy Alvin come back to haunt Geralt for his lies and poor parenting skills retroactively through time travel is explicitly a foil for Geralt, although it's sort of lost in the mystery of who the bad guy is. The big bad guy believes Geralt's facile lies about fighting monsters and not worrying about politics, and he builds an organization that's really good at fighting monsters and nearly destroys Vizima in the process.

The bad guy even dies because he idealizes Witchers and doesn't recognize that Geralt is a hypocrite. He gasps "That sword is for monsters!" when Geralt runs him through with the silver sword. No, Geralt said the sword is for monsters, just like he said Witchers fight only monsters and don't get involved. The silver sword buried in human guts is a metaphor for Geralt.

The game is a great introduction to the character and suggests the people at CD Projekt RED really know their guy.

I really like Geralt as a character. The martyr with superpowers is a staple in fantasy but he's usually the author's pet and not written consciously as a grumbling schmuck. The writers have a deft enough handle on the character to recognize that far from being the endlessly suffering Mary Sue savior, Geralt is a hypocritical glutton for punishment who constantly complains about his own choices.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 20, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

^^^^ That's what I love about him. Grumbling about your own decisions is my favorite past time.

Memento posted:

Yeah I'm only a few hours in but my only complaint is that you encounter something called a noonwraith, that would look so much loving cooler if it was a midnightwraith.

There is one in the cemetery (going off of memory its across the river to the N/NE of the town) I mentioned and yea it looks way cooler at night.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 20, 2015

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Is there another fix for the hard locks in the menus? Setting driver settings to Performance didn't fix it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Someone posted that reddit link that points to the setting to change the AA on the hair. I definitely want to give that a try when I get home from work...

Potential tweaks for hairworks (not tested by me):

1. Reduce the level of AA on hairworks from 8 to something lower by going to [b bin/config/base/rendering[/b] and control-f for hairworks

2. For AMD users: Make a profile in Catalyst Control Center for witcher3.exe, tick Tessellation Mode to "Override application settings and reduce the level of tessellation from 16x to something lower. 2x will make it look like Geralt is suffering from balding though.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Well, I managed to fix the surround sound issue. Apparently it's an issue with DirectX or some other flimflam that I don't fully understand. The important thing is that it works now.

For anyone else having issues download this zip and replace the files as instructed. You can either run the bat files or do it manually. I recommend backing up your actual original files just to be safe. If you're feeling really spergy you could do the hex edits yourself.

Here's a post with nerds talking about what's happening. Basically they edited one line of each DLL with a hex editor to force the game to recognize this particular type of output as surround instead of 2.0.

To quote the relevant post from that thread:

quote:

I recently stumbled across this problem again and investigated a little further.

XAudio2 seems to query PKEY_AudioEngine_DeviceFormat to determine the speaker configuration. This is a WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE structure. XAudio2 does not check its "SubFormat" field for AC3/Dolby Digital. It always assumes some kind of PCM. And apart from the subformat GUID, a DDLive WAVEFORMATEX looks like stereo (2channel, 48kHz, 16bit - because an AC3 bitstream is compressed and fits into the bandwitdth of stereo PCM)!

A proper solution would to fix the XAudio2 speaker detection, e.g. query the MixFormat with IAudioClient::GetMixFormat, which is 6ch 48kHz 32bit float for DDLive.

A hacky work-around involves patching the XAudio DLLs (XAudio2_*.dll in both \Windows\System32 and \Windows\SysWOW64). I replaced the binary value for the PKEY_AudioEngine_DeviceFormat property key (hex: 4D 06 9F F1 2C 08 27 4E BC 73 68 82 A1 BB 8E 4C 00 00 00 00) in these DLLs with a value for a key from the registry which looked more like 6-channel. In my system with a Realtek HDAudio chip, I chose the registry key "{e4870e26-3cc5-4cd2-ba46-ca0a9a70ed04},0", which might be related to the "OEMFormat". The hex value to replace the value above is accordingly "26 0e 87 e4 c5 3c d2 4c 46 ba ca 0a 9a 70 ed 04 00 00 00 00".

I checked this with the Xaudio2 sample from the DX10 SDK and with a Xaudio2-enabled game. Both give me proper 5.1 surround sound now.

However, I really hope to see this fixed by Microsoft.

Ultimately solved this because I remembered that other games have given me issues as well (in particular, Far Cry 4) and figured there had to be some kind of common denominator in all this. Hurray!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I can't wait to have some of the DLCs and a range of armors so I can play dress up with Geralt and make him look as garish as possible

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VarXX posted:

Is there another fix for the hard locks in the menus? Setting driver settings to Performance didn't fix it.

Someone mentioned setting the game to full screen.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I can't wait to have some of the DLCs and a range of armors so I can play dress up with Geralt and make him look as garish as possible

Heh, yeah he's going to look great delivering gravel-voiced justice while dressed up like a character going straight into Hellfire Peninsula for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Memento posted:

Heh, yeah he's going to look great delivering gravel-voiced justice while dressed up like a character going straight into Hellfire Peninsula for the first time.

Haha, Personally I feel that my Geralt loves bright orange. It's part of his new strategy: be so bright that the monsters can't see you pirouetting them into oblivion. Plus the colors in this game look great. I was in awe of that first inn having colorful walls, decorations, and art. It's so vibrant.