Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
As someone who resides/bides time waiting for a chance to escape from/suffers in Adelaide, I'm jealous that I can't even enter into "Whose city is better" arguments. Even I wouldn't believe me.

On the plus side I have this page to myself to list all the good things about Adelaide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

markgreyam posted:

As someone who resides/bides time waiting for a chance to escape from/suffers in Adelaide, I'm jealous that I can't even enter into "Whose city is better" arguments. Even I wouldn't believe me.

On the plus side I have this page to myself to list all the good things about Adelaide.

Look on the bright side, at least it's not Brisbane.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Wait, am I going to work for the ALP or the IPA?

No you dork, he left the alp and became a hard right shitlord and you left the alp to join the greens.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

markgreyam posted:

On the bright side there are no Queenslanders or race riots or talkback radio hosts getting undue relevance. Faint praise I know.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hooman posted:

No you dork, he left the alp and became a hard right shitlord and you left the alp to join the greens.

abstract.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

talkback radio hosts getting undue relevance. Faint praise I know.

Err

"Triple M suspends Andrew Jarman after making shocking comment on radio"

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/triple-m-suspends-andrew-jarman-after-making-shocking-comment-on-radio/story-fnndfy6b-1227355346356

Was literally front page news last week :suicide:

But you already knew this and was making me spend 5 minutes trying to find an image of the front page news spread, weren't you.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

markgreyam posted:

Err

"Triple M suspends Andrew Jarman after making shocking comment on radio"

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/triple-m-suspends-andrew-jarman-after-making-shocking-comment-on-radio/story-fnndfy6b-1227355346356

Was literally front page news last week :suicide:

But you already knew this and was making me spend 5 minutes trying to find an image of the front page news spread, weren't you.

You would have to feel a bit badly done by that someone failed to edit it out.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hahahaha "just gently caress her guts out with your big cock"

yes that is the best way to help your pregnant wife give birth and definitely not just being a general footy dickhead towards women.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Laserface posted:

Hahahaha "just gently caress her guts out with your big cock"

yes that is the best way to help your pregnant wife give birth and definitely not just being a general footy dickhead towards women.

No doubt it as crass as anything and there's some things you should not say anywhere near a microphone but getting busy is advice you get all the time from obs, mid-wives, your friends etc. when you are trying to bring on a birth. In particular when your wife is well overdue.

If he had said "just fill her guts up with a big spoon of castor oil" (another one you hear) I doubt anyone would have really batted an eye lid. It seems it's the language that people are getting outraged by and some manufactured indignation that this is some assault against women.

I've given the same "have sex" advice jokingly to my friends as well and I've been given it as well. Not like that though. That's definitely the footy coming out in him. I'd say he should be smart enough to know what tone to use near a microphone, but obviously he's not.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Someone probably got sick of him and 'forgot' to take it out.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Christ, every part of the Hollowmen is loving incredible.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-critical-after-pighunting-accident-20150517-gh3fil.html

quote:

Man critical after pig-hunting accident May 17, 2015 Angelo Risso

A man is in critical condition after being shot in a pig-hunting accident in NSW's south west.

Police say three shooters were hunting pigs on private land in Berremangra, a short distance from the NSW south-western town of Harden, and were packing up their equipment when a rifle accidentally discharged, striking a man in the back. Ambulance services were immediately contacted and the group travelled from their remote location to meet waiting paramedics. The man was airlifted to Canberra Hospital for surgery and remains in a critical condition, as of Sunday morning.

Police say all three of the hunters were licensed, and using registered firearms. Investigations continue.
"Guns don't shoot people".

-/-

Back to Iron Ore for a moment. Even if there was an inquiry, what could it possibly recommend? China will source its iron ore from where ever it can get it cheapest and is quite capable of manipulating the global economy to do so. Our currency is considered 'exotic' and we are in the G 20. Brazil has a marginally higher GDP but a much less stable economy it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility for the Chinese to force the Brazilian 'real' lower to make them a preferred trading partner.

Wikipedia posted:

Chinese Yuan[edit]
China has provided the most controversy within the United States due to the large increase in American imports of Chinese goods in the 1990s and 2000s. China’s central bank has allegedly devalued yuan by buying large amounts of US dollars with yuan, thus increasing the supply of the yuan in the foreign exchange market, while increasing the demand for US dollars, thus increasing the price of USD. As of the end of 2012, China’s foreign exchange reserve holds roughly $3.3 trillion, making it the highest foreign exchange reserve in the world. Roughly 60% of this reserve is composed of US government bonds and debentures.[17]

There has been much disagreement on how the United States should respond to Chinese devaluation of the yuan. This is partly due to disagreement over the actual effects of the undervalued yuan on capital markets, trade deficits, and the US domestic economy.

Some economists, such as Paul Krugman, argue that Chinese currency devaluation helps China by boosting its exports, and hurts the United States by widening its trade deficit. In other words, China intentionally devalues its currency in order to keep its exports cheap, thus facilitating countries like the United States to buy more Chinese goods. Krugman has suggested that the United States should impose tariffs on Chinese goods as a way of undermining the efforts of the Chinese to make their goods cheaper in relativity to the U.S. dollars. Krugman stated:

“The more depreciated China’s exchange rate — the higher the price of the dollar in yuan* — the more dollars China earns from exports, and the fewer dollars it spends on imports. (Capital flows complicate the story a bit, but don’t change it in any fundamental way). By keeping its current artificially weak — a higher price of dollars in terms of yuan — China generates a dollar surplus; this means that the Chinese government has to buy up the excess dollars.”[18]

Greg Mankiw, on the other hand, asserts that U.S. protectionism via tariffs will hurt the U.S. economy far more than Chinese devaluation. Similarly, others have stated that the undervalued yuan has actually hurt China more in the long run insofar that the undervalued yuan doesn’t subsidize the Chinese exporter, but subsidizes the American importer. Thus, importers within China have been substantially hurt due to the Chinese government’s intention to continue to grow exports.[19]

Further reading:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2015/02/25/currency-manipulation-why-something-must-be-done/

NTATA's amazing technicolour backflip and Andrew Forrest's petulant whinning are all grist to the mill really. As if we needed any further proof these two boof heads were nongs. Here have a poll bump to go with that jaw dropping stupidity.

EDIT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCrT4fd-TgY58BsNjcLgrhuA <- all the Hollowmen.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Say what you will about the current Government, at least they have employers and Unions coming together and agreeing on important issues.

Guardian posted:

Employers and unions will hold talks about changing the government’s controversial paid parental leave plan, saying it won’t work in its current form.

“There’s an early agreement that employers and the unions will get together and discuss how this can be changed,” the president of the Australian Council of Trade Unions, Ged Kearney, told Guardian Australia.

“It just won’t work the way it has been announced. Employers will offer other things instead of paid parental leave, like a return-to-work bonus, so their employees continue to benefit. And unions will obviously bargain for those kind of things and for pay increases rather than additional paid parental leave.

“That makes it a lose-lose – families will get less paid parental leave in total and the government won’t get its savings either.”

Under arrangements announced in the budget, the government will no longer fund paid parental leave for about 34,000 mothers each year whose employer already paid as much, or more, than the taxpayer-funded scheme.

The taxpayer-funded scheme, available to women earning up to $150,000 a year, is worth $11,500 to each mother, or 18 weeks at the minimum wage. The government says the $11,500 is a “safety net” for those who don’t receive at least that amount from their employer – and that those who have been accessing both schemes are “double dippers”.

Employer groups immediately raised the same concern as the union movement.

When the savings measure was flagged before the budget, the chief executive of the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Kate Carnell, told Guardian Australia the move was unlikely to achieve savings in the private sector because employers would switch generous parental leave payments to other employee benefits.

Nothing she has seen since has changed her view.

“Of course employers will pay their benefits differently. They won’t walk away, they will just find a different way to pay the benefit, they will act in the best interest of their company and their staff, so their staff don’t just lose $11,500.”

“This policy might achieve savings in the public sector, but in the private sector it won’t work as a savings measure,” she said.

The chief executive of the AI Group, Innes Willox, told ABC radio last week that employers might find “other ways … to retain and incentivise their workforce” and if this happened the scheme may not deliver the $968m over four years in estimated savings.

The treasurer, Joe Hockey, claimed employers offering benefits in different ways would be “scamming”

“A good employer offers a fair dinkum paid parental leave scheme to their employees and the government’s scheme is meant to be a safety net,” he said last week.

“If they change the scheme to try and scam the government and scam taxpayers, well, that reflects on them as much as anything else.”

The paid parental leave changes may also not pass the Senate, with Labor, the Greens and several crossbench senators opposed and furious lobbying underway. They are due to take effect from July next year.

Two members of the expenditure review committee of cabinet, Mathias Cormann and Josh Frydenberg, confirmed during budget week that their wives had accessed two paid parental leave schemes, conduct other ministers had categorised as “double-dipping” or a “rort”.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Freudian Slip posted:

Say what you will about the current Government, at least they have employers and Unions coming together and agreeing on important issues.

I love that this government can't even do the wrong thing right

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

“It just won’t work the way it has been announced. Employers will offer other things instead of paid parental leave, like a return-to-work bonus, so their employees continue to benefit. And unions will obviously bargain for those kind of things and for pay increases rather than additional paid parental leave.

Isn't there some very large union that's been stuck in negotiations for almost a year, and who is unlikely to get new conditions without giving up pay?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't there some very large union that's been stuck in negotiations for almost a year, and who is unlikely to get new conditions without giving up pay?

Depending on what they are the conditions are generally better for the employees in the long run

Also I love that they are doubling down on the "Rorter" thing, there are already many businesses that structure their PPL as a return to work bonus (My other half just signed a contract with this in it) so they are kidding if this is not going to happen.
It's a rort in the same way as the 20% private use thing for novated leases is a rort, in that it's completely legal and is in no way against the spirit of the law.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

norp posted:

Depending on what they are the conditions are generally better for the employees in the long run.

It's not that I think the PPL changes are specifically designed to screw over the public service, I just think they're quite happy it'll be one of the main results.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

norp posted:

Also I love that they are doubling down on the "Rorter" thing, there are already many businesses that structure their PPL as a return to work bonus (My other half just signed a contract with this in it) so they are kidding if this is not going to happen.
It's a rort in the same way as the 20% private use thing for novated leases is a rort, in that it's completely legal and is in no way against the spirit of the law.

I keep thinking this is the rope the Government is feeding Hockey before they move him aside.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
And 6 months ago they wanted to give everyone up to $75000 rather than $11500

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-20/tax-office-issues-gst-warning-for-uber-and-air-bnb/6482590

Uber whinges. I can somewhat understand the argument that companies with no physical presence in Australia shouldn't be subject to Australian tax, but if you have taxis driving all over Australian roads I don't know how you could seriously claim that you're not operating in Australia.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-20/tax-office-issues-gst-warning-for-uber-and-air-bnb/6482590

Uber whinges. I can somewhat understand the argument that companies with no physical presence in Australia shouldn't be subject to Australian tax, but if you have taxis driving all over Australian roads I don't know how you could seriously claim that you're not operating in Australia.

So they are treating uber drivers like taxi drivers, but why aren't taxi drivers subject to the 75,000$ minimum for collecting GST? (aside from them generally being dodgy)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

For other businesses, the GST registration turnover threshold is $75,000. For taxi drivers, including chauffeur driven limousines and hire cars, there is no registration turnover threshold. This means that anyone who carries on an enterprise of driving a taxi, chauffeur driven limousine or hire car, must register for GST, unless they are an employee for pay as you go withholding (PAYG withholding) purposes. The government chose to apply compulsory registration of taxi drivers for several reasons including:
  • to avoid the confusion that would be created if some taxis had to charge GST and others did not
  • avoiding the added problem that would arise if a passenger was using a taxi for a business trip (creditable acquisition). In this instance, the passenger would want to be able to claim an input tax credit for the GST included in the fare
  • meter rates are set by each state authority and after 1 July 2000 all meters were adjusted to reflect the GST. If some drivers were registered and others were not, all would be collecting the higher rate. This would disadvantage drivers who had to be registered if the ordinary registration turnover threshold applied.
https://www.ato.gov.au/printfriendly.aspx?url=/Business/GST/In-detail/GST-issues-registers/Taxi-industry---issues-register/

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yep, basically they saw that the entire taxi industry was set up as a contractor-per-car system so they made an exception so that the didn't miss an entire service industry.

Most other heavily independent contractor based industries would expect to earn more than 75k gross from their jobs so didn't need an exception.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

After reading about what happened up at a Ballarat orphanage run by the Catholics during the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, I hope there is a deep dark place in Hell for George Pell to go to.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

I keep thinking this is the rope the Government is feeding Hockey before they move him aside.

I read an article a couple of days back that they're planning on continuing with scrapping it as an "honour" thing to show that this government isn't selfish because this affects them too. I think my eyeballs just about rolled my sockets.

Graic Gabtar posted:

No doubt it as crass as anything and there's some things you should not say anywhere near a microphone but getting busy is advice you get all the time from obs, mid-wives, your friends etc. when you are trying to bring on a birth. In particular when your wife is well overdue.

If he had said "just fill her guts up with a big spoon of castor oil" (another one you hear) I doubt anyone would have really batted an eye lid. It seems it's the language that people are getting outraged by and some manufactured indignation that this is some assault against women.

I've given the same "have sex" advice jokingly to my friends as well and I've been given it as well. Not like that though. That's definitely the footy coming out in him. I'd say he should be smart enough to know what tone to use near a microphone, but obviously he's not.

Yeah, the whole "have sex" thing while heavily pregnant is actually a known cause of bringing on baby. It's not a bad bit of advice all around, just worded really loving shittily.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

tithin posted:

Yeah, the whole "have sex" thing while heavily pregnant is actually a known cause of bringing on baby. It's not a bad bit of advice all around, just worded really loving shittily.

Ie It's not just what you say, its how you say it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

markgreyam posted:

Adelaide rocks fool, we don't need traitors like you bringing us down. It's people like you that make gigs skip us to go to Perth t:mad:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

Uber said it had been consulting with the Tax Office over the past six months and was disappointed the ATO had "taken it upon itself to dictate government policy for the sharing economy".

lmao, get hosed uber.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Adelaide rocks fool, we don't need traitors like you bringing us down. It's people like you that make gigs skip us to go to Perth t:mad:

It usually seems to be a 50/50 whether or not musicians visit Adelaide or Perth. They'll visit one or the other, but rarely both.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I thought Uber was still technically illegal or something. If so I wonder if the taxi industry might have been better off without the ATO legitimizing the business by asking that they pay tax.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

open24hours posted:

I like that your comment has literally nothing to do with the article.

e:
to expand on that the article is Uber bitching that their drivers have to register for, collect and pay GST, which is what taxi drivers are currently compelled to do. It has nothing to do with Uber itself being taxed, tax evasion by overseas entities, not operating in Australia etc.

gay picnic defence posted:

I thought Uber was still technically illegal or something. If so I wonder if the taxi industry might have been better off without the ATO legitimizing the business by asking that they pay tax.

Fun fact: or tax purposes there is no distinction between income from legal or illegal activites. You are expected to put it in your tax return and be taxed accordingly. :angel:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 20, 2015

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The ATO does not care if your money is legal or illegal, they are still entitiled to their cut.

There have been cases of people filing for and receiving deductions for the financial losses incurred by drug busts.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

It varies state to state. The ATO only concerns itself with collecting tax, not the legality of the business. I'm pretty sure drug dealers require an ABN and collect GST.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When it costs $176,000 per centimetre to extend a swimming pool, it’s just as well this one in the Northern Territory only needs another half metre.

Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey visited Darwin today to announce his government will pay half the $8.8 million needed to extend Darwin’s Parap Pool to a competition-standard 50m.

The NT government will pay the rest.

“I’m very pleased to be here ... to make a 50-metre pool 50 metres,” Mr Hockey told reporters.

“It’s kind of extraordinary that it’s 49.5 metres, but of course being a capital city you should have an Olympic-approved pool, and that means your swimmers have the chance to compete with the rest of the world.” The pool will boost tourism and could host future swimming tournaments, he said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Uber doesn't deserve to get hosed in Australia. It's too late for the Taxi lobbyists to stop it, I mean Lyft is launching here pretty soon so the rideshare economy will continue to grow. Less cars on the roads, taxi industry has to actually fight for what it has.

Imho the only thing that needs to be fixed is Ubers lovely management practices and specialised vehicle coverage. Otherwise it's mostly okay. "Mostly."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Tommofork posted:

I like that your comment has literally nothing to do with the article.

It was more a response to the comments below the article and the previous discussion about Netflix.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

After reading about what happened up at a Ballarat orphanage run by the Catholics during the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, I hope there is a deep dark place in Hell for George Pell to go to.
As a man of god, he's totes allowed a free pass. Just like every other member of the clergy because y'see diddling kids is really a trivial thing and the Church can't understand why people get so upset about it, while leading the flock of god is a good thing that easily outweighs it and any other sin they could ever commit.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I don't really give a gently caress about the taxi industry for the most part, but if access cabs become difficult for the taxi industry to run, I doubt ridesharing companies can pick up the slack, which would make life quite difficult for people in wheelchairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nationalize taxis imho.

• Locked thread