Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Badger of Basra posted:

So apparently "European" just means "nicer looking"?

No, nicer buildings have been set aside for the planned Brutalism style pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This might be a dumb question, but how do you bulldoze tunnels? I can delete both ends, but there's still a road down there blocking off what I want to do.

edit: You need to try and build a road, PgDn to start building underground, THEN start bulldozing. Maybe there's a more straightforward way of looking underground, I'm new at this.

Once I start bringing in offices, is it possible to entirely do away with industry? Will it increase traffic from outside the zone?

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 20, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Badger of Basra posted:

So apparently "European" just means "nicer looking"?

Yes. You've clearly never met anyone from Europe or been there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Yes. You've clearly never met anyone from Europe or been there.
You can't outsmug a European. :smug:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like they're moving ahead through the list of items I need. Next step: better shorelines.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Krazyface posted:

This might be a dumb question, but how do you bulldoze tunnels? I can delete both ends, but there's still a road down there blocking off what I want to do.

edit: You need to try and build a road, PgDn to start building underground, THEN start bulldozing. Maybe there's a more straightforward way of looking underground, I'm new at this.

Once I start bringing in offices, is it possible to entirely do away with industry? Will it increase traffic from outside the zone?
There's theoretically a cap on the amount of goods your commercial can import but I've never heard actual complaints of hitting it. More importantly no industry is just kind of sad and homogenous.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

It's nice you can make vehicles now, however, there's no way to assign vehicles to a building. Vehicles are just picked at random from the pool residing in that category.

e.g. If i want to make a new type of hearse/ambulance that is faster or has more capacity it can be made. But it will just sit in the pool of those vehicles and be pulled out from the bag every time a hospital or whatever building needs one. There's currently no way for you to make a new building that uses a specific vehicle that you may have created.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
I remember seeing a mod a while back that added in free but useless roads that you could use to plan, but then upgrade them to 'real' ones. One of my gripes was losing money re-doing sections of road since there wasn't an undo button that I could find so that looked really useful, but now I can't seem to find it on the workshop. Anyone have a link? Or a mod that does something similar?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Are there new low density houses? Or is it just the wall to wall stuff?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, europeans don't know what low density would look like. :v:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Metrication posted:

Are there new low density houses? Or is it just the wall to wall stuff?

There aren't any new low density buildings which I've seen. Honestly the European set feels kinda incomplete without that, you wind up just building American small town suburbia that eventually turns into a 19th century European city. My hope is that modders are eventually going to be able to fill the gap with Europe tile specific low-density buildings. There are already a few buildings which fit the theme on the workshop, but not nearly enough.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I wouldn't be worried about missing asset variation. The workshop is still super active and I suspect a lot of the modelers have pictures of their home towns lying about waiting for a city to fit in too (I know I do).
I hope they can optimize how the game handles custom assets though, load times are a serious issue

My office towers sticking out a like sore thumb in the background there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Domattee posted:

My office towers sticking out a like sore thumb in the background there

So, slightly accurate to old cities.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

MikeJF posted:

So, slightly accurate to old cities.

Unless you live in England, then a 1960s concrete office block in the middle of old Victorian era houses is pretty much the norm here.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A picture for my friends who have never been to a European city (for reference):

Magdeburg, Germany

Just need some trolleys, now. Not pictured are the random modern buildings all over the place looking completely out of place, and also the random bombed out buildings from WW2 that still haven't been fixed or destroyed.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 20, 2015

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

My towns high street is a pretty good example of mix and match wall-to-wall buildings. The building on the far left is from the 1400's, with some ugly 1960's/70's thing next to it. The whole street mainly spans 1800-2000's architecture seemingly at random but all butted up next to each other. Bonus victorian water tower and edwardian town hall spire in the background.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I really wish the euro buildings started out looking more like that and actually got bigger, not just more fancy. Apparently making a building a bit more fancy means about 10x as many people eventually fit inside??

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I really wish the euro buildings started out looking more like that and actually got bigger, not just more fancy. Apparently making a building a bit more fancy means about 10x as many people eventually fit inside??

It's called gentrification. Rent goes up, people subdivide bigger flats. More people live in it because they can only afford the smaller units. :v:

I lived somewhere where this was actually the case. :suicide:

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
This game looks awesome, I don't think I have the time to start something like this though..

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I made a fancier Undergroundabout prototype:

This is two crossing highways with a roundabout between them, and four six-lane roads coming off the roundabout. The highways are fully interchanged with the roundabout and the surface, the surface with the highways and six-lanes (and so indirectly the roundabout). There's enough space between the highways to run a rail line as well, but I didn't bother.

Once you get into the roundabout itself, it's all right turns to get wherever you want - this includes exiting via the six-lanes. There are some valid routes while entering that involve crossing or turning left on the six-lanes; if/when Traffic Manager or Traffic++ ever allow underground operations they could be used to forbid those movements if needed.

The surface street layout is totally flexible, of course, but I kind of like this quasi-frontage arrangement. It should be pretty effective at keeping traffic moving into/out of the interchange. Then again it might be overkill given that there should be only local traffic moving to/from the surface, assuming you build out an arterial/collector system underground and provide consistent surface access.

Right now there are some wickedly spaced merges that only invincible Cims could hope to use safely, and some exit/entrance points that might not be ideally located, but those could be tweaked a bit in a production version. Another, less-surmountable problem is that it costs like $350,000 to build. :shepspends:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Put that monster up on the workshop!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
This resource pack forgot how to car:

http://gfycat.com/AnnualFrailEkaltadeta

Really wish SA supported HTML5

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MickRaider posted:

This resource pack forgot how to car:

http://gfycat.com/AnnualFrailEkaltadeta

Really wish SA supported HTML5

I love how the bumpers are still perfectly normal. They're like a pair of brackets, so the engine's rendering [CAR].

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

Put that monster up on the workshop!

I might eventually. I'd like to test it in an actual city. I also didn't build this in the asset manager, so that'll have to be done first in any case.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The devs confirmed today that the reason Euro buildings are restricted to maps is performance:

quote:

One of the reasons the European buildings are their "own set" so to speak is because they add quite a lot of graphical assets into the game which, if simply added to the vanilla game assets, would most likely exceed the system specs set for the game, making it require more powerful hardware and in worst case, render the game unplayable for the lower end machines.

This needs more upvotes for visibility! We're pretty much obliged to stand by our system requirements as far as I am aware.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/36myvo/we_are_the_team_behind_cities_skylines_ask_us/crfd4wi

edit: also traffic will continue to be the #1 problem in this game (which is often an interesting problem)

quote:

The traffic is going to stay so that the vehicle's route is calculated only at the beginning of the journey for now.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 20, 2015

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Are there any plans to make some way to edit terrain in-game? Surely that would be on the list somewhere.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

Are there any plans to make some way to edit terrain in-game? Surely that would be on the list somewhere.

There's already a terraforming mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411095553

I haven't tried it, but I assume it does what it says on the box.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So the patch borked my save game, or maybe hosed up one of the mods that in turn ruined my save game. Regardless, I'm getting errors like:

code:
Details:
No details
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at GuideManager.SimulationStepImpl (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SimulationManagerBase`2[Manager,Properties].SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GuideManager.ISimulationManager.SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SimulationManager.SimulationStep () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SimulationManager.SimulationThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Object reference not set to an instance of an object [System.NullReferenceException]
and

code:
Details:
No details
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BuildingManager.RayCast (Segment3 ray, Service service, SubService subService, Layer itemLayers, Flags ignoreFlags, UnityEngine.Vector3& hit, System.UInt16& buildingIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ToolBase.RayCast (RaycastInput input, .RaycastOutput& output) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DefaultTool.SimulationStep () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ToolManager.SimulationStepImpl (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Object reference not set to an instance of an object [System.NullReferenceException]
Is there any way figure out what mod or asset is causing the problem?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 20, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Have you tried starting a new city/loading other cities using all the same mods? That seems like a good test as to whether it's a problem with your mods vs. a problem with the save specifically.

For that matter, do you have older saves of the same city you could try loading?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So despite the game running perfectly fast at 25 tiles and a billion downloaded buildings they can't possibly allow european buildings to mix? I understand having performance benchmarks for certain target computers but why not leave this up to the players? Nothing's stopping someone with a 5 year old computer from downloading a ton of unoptimized buildings, so why not at least make it easy for the players to have a little more control over tile-sets?

I'd love at the very least to some how get all the service buildings together. So both police stations, both highschools and so on.

They really need user-defined tile-sets you can set per district. Don't like a particular vanilla building? Take it out of your default tile set. Only want that downloaded building in a certain district? Tag it to a tile set and enable it on the district. Modders shouldn't have to kludge something together, CO should be supporting this out of the box and not hiding behind "but our system requirements!".

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Does anyone happen to know what's the range for people using public transport? I really want to be spergy with my subways

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They're probably going to end up supporting mods for tile based districts like they do with the 25 tile mod.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Supraluminal posted:

Have you tried starting a new city/loading other cities using all the same mods? That seems like a good test as to whether it's a problem with your mods vs. a problem with the save specifically.

For that matter, do you have older saves of the same city you could try loading?

I fixed it actually- no idea how but I did. I think I removed a mod that doesn't like to be removed; might have been 'control building level up' or something. TrafficManager and Traffic++ are the usual suspects but it wasn't either of those this time.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Baronjutter posted:

So despite the game running perfectly fast at 25 tiles and a billion downloaded buildings they can't possibly allow european buildings to mix? I understand having performance benchmarks for certain target computers but why not leave this up to the players? Nothing's stopping someone with a 5 year old computer from downloading a ton of unoptimized buildings, so why not at least make it easy for the players to have a little more control over tile-sets?

I'd love at the very least to some how get all the service buildings together. So both police stations, both highschools and so on.

They really need user-defined tile-sets you can set per district. Don't like a particular vanilla building? Take it out of your default tile set. Only want that downloaded building in a certain district? Tag it to a tile set and enable it on the district. Modders shouldn't have to kludge something together, CO should be supporting this out of the box and not hiding behind "but our system requirements!".

Holy poo poo, chill out about the limitation.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It would certainly be nice if they'd done it in a more flexible way, but I don't know about "should." I imagine they did it this way because it's the least expensive approach that meets the objective of preserving the min specs. No need to build any frontend UI stuff.

Hopefully modders will pick up the slack... and maybe CO would even consider providing more options in the base game in the future, who knows.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Doh004 posted:

Holy poo poo, chill out about the limitation.

He's right though, if a bit passionate. Having W2W linked to a maptype after the the feature being promised was kind of a major let down.

Modders will figure something out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The building level up control mod and building picker tool show modders can do some pretty impressive poo poo, and with decent interfaces too.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I can't for the life of me find that mod that adds a light cycle for use with the moving sun mod. Anyone have a link handy?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah no one's made a Tron mod yet, a big oversight IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Bat Ham posted:

I remember seeing a mod a while back that added in free but useless roads that you could use to plan, but then upgrade them to 'real' ones. One of my gripes was losing money re-doing sections of road since there wasn't an undo button that I could find so that looked really useful, but now I can't seem to find it on the workshop. Anyone have a link? Or a mod that does something similar?

Some Roads, also includes two lane highways, low speed residential roads, paved railroads, dike/levees for cheap dams, and a few more other roads.