Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mido posted:

i'm pretty sure you live in some other dimension, like you're trapped in a "Blame!" like maze, or a Moebius comic, or some Aeon Flux construct

In my mind I am!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
My friend to moving to LA and is offering his Hasselblad 500 to me for next to nothing. I've never shot a roll of film in my life, how hosed am I going to be from a technical standpoint if MF is my entry point into film?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Thoogsby posted:

My friend to moving to LA and is offering his Hasselblad 500 to me for next to nothing. I've never shot a roll of film in my life, how hosed am I going to be from a technical standpoint if MF is my entry point into film?

Not really hosed, just take your time and make sure you understand exposure.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thoogsby posted:

Well you'd be getting into it with one of the best cameras of all time, so not at all hosed?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Do it, screw up a bunch of times, learn from your mistakes, and the bask in 6x6 glory.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Well you'd be getting into it with one of the best cameras of all time, so not at all hosed?

I agree, Hasselblads are awesome cameras! Though you'll probably end up cursing quite a few times when you forget to take out the darkslide before shooting :D

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Another "friend in their home or work place" portrait

Christopher by spike mccue, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I actually got some 4x5 published in a real life thing for IRL monies:

http://www.hopesandfears.com/hopes/now/politics/168735-3rd-parties

(to be promptly reinvested back into film :suicide: )

Great photos!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Washers by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

get som portra 400 or tri-x, shoot at whatever speed you want, and don't even worry about proper exposure

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
My Hasselblad is my first and still my only medium format and I don't regret purchasing it at all. If you can get it for a good deal, get it.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm curious - do any of you guys shoot digital MF? (I assume the answer is no or maybe one of you based on $$$$)

Otherwise - How many of you have your own darkrooms? Or do you pay to have your film developed?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

hi liter posted:

I'm curious - do any of you guys shoot digital MF? (I assume the answer is no or maybe one of you based on $$$$)

Otherwise - How many of you have your own darkrooms? Or do you pay to have your film developed?

You don't need a darkroom to develop film.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I have a dark "room" in that my basement has no windows, and if I close the basement door and turn off all the lights, it's pitch black. But really, all you need is a changing bag to get your film loaded in the development tank, and then you can do your development in the light.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

hi liter posted:

Also interested in this. For those of you with home setups how cost prohibitive is it compared to having it done by someone else?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thoogsby posted:

Also interested in this. For those of you with home setups how cost prohibitive is it compared to having it done by someone else?

You don't need a darkroom and the darkbag and developing tanks, chemicals, etc. you do need pay for themselves pretty quickly.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
In Canada it's getting prohibitively expensive to have labs do the processing for you. A single roll of 35mm costs $6-7 to get processed at London Drugs and it's getting harder to find a walmart that still does film. Lab processed b&w is even more expensive because they have to mail it out, and let's not even talk about slide film.

Doing b&w at home comes to less than a dollar per roll in chemicals

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My local Canadian place works out to about $4 for c41, $7 for b&w, and about $4927484 for slide

So yes black and white is worth it.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

developing at home is scary the first few times but just shoot hp5+ and do dilution h (1:63) of hc110 for 12 minutes and you'll get B&W photos that look like the ones I upload :v:

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
I went to Ireland and broke my camera 2 days in and wasted a bunch of film and loaded 220 with the pressure plate in wrong and blew the scans and flickr is dumb etc.

But a few of them worked out.

Untitled

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Just out of curiosity is there much of a functional difference between the Hasselblad 500C vs. 500CM? Just from googling it looks like the CM is newer thus more easily repairable?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thoogsby posted:

Just out of curiosity is there much of a functional difference between the Hasselblad 500C vs. 500CM? Just from googling it looks like the CM is newer thus more easily repairable?

The focus screen on the c is harder to switch out, I guess? It's the same camera, functionally.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

I think the biggest difference is that the 500CM can change screens much easier than the 500C.

^ Dammit, just beaten by a minute. Ok I'll add that the 500CM usually comes with a newer lens and back as well, so that can help reliability.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 20, 2015

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Captain Organ posted:

I went to Ireland and broke my camera 2 days in and wasted a bunch of film and loaded 220 with the pressure plate in wrong and blew the scans and flickr is dumb etc.

Untitled

You just described my trip to Paris, but unlike you I didn't come back with any keepers.
Great photo. The colors, tonal range and micro contrast are insane.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

That is a really, really nice photo. Even though my monitor is in desperate need of calibration it still looks fantastic.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

I think the biggest difference is that the 500CM can change screens much easier than the 500C.

^ Dammit, just beaten by a minute. Ok I'll add that the 500CM usually comes with a newer lens and back as well, so that can help reliability.

The CM will always have the newer style winding knob with a lever, if that's important to you. It's also more likely to have a brighter screen installed already, thus saving you $$$.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 20, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

C's are also starting get a little antique by now. The crank is great if you like shooting a bit faster.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

C's are also starting get a little antique by now. The crank is great if you like shooting a bit faster.

The crank is flat out easier to wind, especially with the weird way you have to hold the camera. For those not in the know, you cradle a hassie like you would balls of a giant.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone have thoughts on the Hasselblad 500CM vs. the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II? My friend offered to sell the Mamiya instead of the Hasselblad. I've kind of always wanted a Hasselblad but he's got 3 lenses, WL finder, and 2 backs for the Mamiya he's throwing in.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Hasselblad 500CM vs. the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II? My friend offered to sell the Mamiya instead of the Hasselblad. I've kind of always wanted a Hasselblad but he's got 3 lenses, WL finder, and 2 backs for the Mamiya he's throwing in.

Well the Hasselblad is smaller and lighter, which can be a big consideration, depending on how you're going to use it.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Captain Organ posted:

Untitled

I was going to make fun of you for tagging this with "photo border" but then I realized it was one of Flickr's auto-tags. That is a very strange thing for Flickr to do.

Really great colors though.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What do you guys use for scanners? It seems like from poking around on Flickr the Epson V series are pretty common.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

What do you guys use for scanners? It seems like from poking around on Flickr the Epson V series are pretty common.

I have a V500, don't get that. I wish I had spent a little more to get the V700 or above instead.

There's a scanner thread that might be interesting.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'm using the V700 and it's great for MF and LF scans. Gives scans that print nicely up to 24" at least.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I have a V600, the price is very affordable and the quality is excellent, it even comes with holders for film up to MF. However if you are even considering shooting LF or lots of MF/35mm/slides a V700 would be worth the investment.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MadlabsRobot posted:

I have a V500, don't get that. I wish I had spent a little more to get the V700 or above instead.

There's a scanner thread that might be interesting.

What's your gripe with the V500? I didn't have any issues until I needed to scan 4x5.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thanks for the input. I think I'll end up going with the V800 since it seems to be the current version of the V700.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

never give up, never surrender

Moriah by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You're doing this on purpose, aren't you.

• Locked thread