Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are you new to JRPGs? Because I thought the plot is pretty outstanding for the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Mak0rz posted:

Are you new to JRPGs? Because I thought the plot is pretty outstanding for the genre.

I don't play many JRPG's and think most of them have horrible stories. Just felt so bloated to me. I love the combat though which is why I'm excited for the next game on Wii U.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chrono Trigger is my favorite JRPG story.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
what JRPG doesn't have someone that wants to destroy the world then recreate it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Technically in Chrono Trigger, Lavos just straight up wanted to destroy the world and nothing else. Magus wanted to rule the small kingdom in the medieval time period, and the dinosaurs wanted to destroy the humans during the prehistoric period. Lavos was the main villain though. What I always thought was cool about Lavos though was, as far as I can remember, he had no dialog. He was just this beast that crash landed on earth and its not even clear if that that was intentional or not. He was just some random event that came, laid dormant for millions of years, woke up, and then destroyed everything.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
actually I don't think lavos cared, he just used the planet as an incubator and moved on. wasn't malicious or anything.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

hubris.height posted:

actually I don't think lavos cared, he just used the planet as an incubator and moved on. wasn't malicious or anything.

Yeah I never considered Lavos to have some sort of evil motive to destroy the planet beyond procreation. In fact I barely even considered him to have a normal sense of awareness. His role was closer to a biological weapon in the story that other characters tried to harness.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

He was just a really awesome boss fight, and the fact that you could fight him within the first 30 minutes of the game if you wanted, was one of the coolest things ever at the time. It was also awesome because his abilities were based entirely on previous bosses you fought, plus some of his own abilities.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hi is this a thread for Xenoblade Chronicles questions

Why is it I can't do the quest Romantic Notions of a Boy? I started the counterpart one and got the item you need to get for it, did that lock me out

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes, the quests are mutually exclusive, because they both need the same quest item and have kinda contradictory goals. There's a bunch of those quests stashed here and there, a lot of them are in Colony 9 though (Note any quests marked with clocks; they're either cut-off for plot reasons later or they're exclusive to another quest)

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 21, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Yes, the quests are mutually exclusive, because they both need the same quest item and have kinda contradictory goals.

I didn't actually complete the quest though

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So you haven't finished either? Did it say you failed one, or what?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

So you haven't finished either? Did it say you failed one, or what?

I never unlocked the other one, I got the gem, found out there was another quest, went to talk to Andreas and it hasn't let me do it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I believe you have to talk to him before you get it. The whole point is that you hear one side of the story, then on your way out of town you hear the other side.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheKingofSprings posted:

I never unlocked the other one, I got the gem, found out there was another quest, went to talk to Andreas and it hasn't let me do it.

Might be a time of day thing. I remember him not giving it to me right away either for some reason.

^^^^ or that

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh, I thought you already had it unlocked. If you get the Tephra Drop first it's gone for good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Oh, I thought you already had it unlocked. If you get the Tephra Drop first it's gone for good.

Well poo poo

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The whole OST is out

This'll keep me occupied until the game comes out.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Apparently it's selling pretty well according to Saga's twitter.

Also someone is digging the NLA day theme.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

so any of you guys beat this yet? what'd you think?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dastardly posted:

Apparently it's selling pretty well according to Saga's twitter.

X is, in Japan? The numbers were just okay the first week and tanked the second. Maybe the totals don' include bundles? Was there a bundle?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think there were any bundles. Xenoblade X will do way better in America and Europe.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, at 103 hours i finally gave in and finished Xenoblade 3DS with all sidequests done and characters levelled up to 99.

I tried taking on the superbosses but even with the topple lock the inability to land a hit and the grinding required to get some of the things to make fighting them easier was just too much effort.

Also, i hope the new game does away with the arts manuals because while it was easy enough to find and kill the unique enemies that had a chance of dropping the book that let you level up an art, the fact that there were so many books to get and subsequent AP required to level them up just made the thing a bit of a pointless chore. Especially as there wasn't really any enemies that needed you to use the moves.

All in all, a great game that replaying on a small screen didn't tarnish the joy of.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Louisgod posted:

X is, in Japan? The numbers were just okay the first week and tanked the second. Maybe the totals don' include bundles? Was there a bundle?

I think they were referring to the soundtrack, since Soraya linked to an image of it being #1 in... some category on Japanese amazon. Couldn't actually read what it said.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Louisgod posted:

The soundtrack.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The regular battle music gets funnier and funnier the further you get into it

Tres
Jun 21, 2003

Richard Stallman AKA St. iGNUcius-sama <3
Grimey Drawer
Been playing X for around a week now. Combat is fun. Story is kinda crap. Music is just ok. Dialogue between the characters Lin and Tatsu is so obnoxious and anime that I've started muting my TV every time they start talking. I can't believe how terrible and generic the characters are in this game.

Also I would probably recommended the download version where possible. The console constantly reads the disc (literally constantly, especially within the city) meaning that it's pretty noisy. I think it also contributes to the fairly terrible pop-in I've been noticing.

Basically it's pretty fun just going out and exploring and killing stuff. Still haven't got a "doll" yet so I have no idea what that aspect of the game is like. The environments are gorgeous though.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I'm really not a huge fan of the vocals in the songs I'm hearing. They just seem so out of place in video game music.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I listened passively to the OST and that 'triumphant music with vocals' got kind of old

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just beat chronicles. That ending sure was something

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what's seems to be the general consensus for the people that have played Xenoblade X?

Is it better or worse than Xenoblade Chronicles?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what's seems to be the general consensus for the people that have played Xenoblade X?

Is it better or worse than Xenoblade Chronicles?

They're basically apples and oranges. Whether or not you liked the first Xenoblade has pretty much no bearing on whether you'll like X or not.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Terper posted:

They're basically apples and oranges. Whether or not you liked the first Xenoblade has pretty much no bearing on whether you'll like X or not.

So Xenoblade X is a very different game compared to Xenoblade Chronicles?

Like Jet Set Radio vs Jet Set Radio Future?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
From what I can tell its Xenoblade Chronicles, but with a Xenogears coat of paint on it, down to the Sawano soundtrack.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

seems like from a purely gameplay stand point its an improvement over the first game in every way, but as far as everything else goes (story, characters, setting, music) its worse. exactly how much worse i'm not sure

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Both games are cool and good and I look forward to playing Xenoblade Chronicles X when it is released in North America in 2015.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
One of the things I heard being said about Xenoblade X is that it feels like a JRPG take on The Elder Scrolls. Also yeah, most opinions on the game from what I have seen are basically saying that you will probably be disappointed if you are coming into it wanting a story similar to Xenoblade, but if you want to do side quests and explore it is stupidly addicting.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I hear that Xenoblade X has a branch choice system much like a WRPG such as The Witcher. What I mean by this is that with quests you actually have choices of what you can do and it effects the end outcome of the quest.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I have heard that (spoilers for minor quests) you can kill very minor npcs with your choices in some minor quests.

For example, I've heard for one, you collect materials to repair a broken down helicopter, and at the end you have to make a choice of Red Wire, Blue Wire. Choose Wisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I don't mind the story being pushed to the side, but if exploring is the crux of the game then I need the soundtrack and art (characters, environments, etc) to be top-notch, and the stuff I've seen so far is a mixed bag (although the environments are beautiful). XC questing got repetitive at times but that was fine for a change of pace between plot points and character development.

I'm sure I'll put stupid hours into it at some point but a Xeno game without a ridiculously creative/nonsensical/great story or characters a la Gears/Saga/Chronicles just feels off to me. Ah well, low expectations can only be a good thing in terms of enjoying the experience after replaying XC.

• Locked thread