Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ibntumart posted:

How are these terrible names? They're standard nicknames (except maybe Chairo, never came across that one before). Not Angeles, I guess, but it makes sense and certainly isn't a terrible name.
nicknames. I can't remember the last time anyone in my family called me by my given name.

Did part of your post get eaten there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I knew a Mason in middle school. His last name was Potter.

I worked at a place with two people named Mason. One was Masson, with two esses but still pronounced the same so we had to specify which Mason we were talking about. There was also a Britley, she said her parent's couldn't decide between Brittany or Ashley. There was a Ramon Rodriguez who everyone just called Ramrod though, so that was kind of fun.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

sweeperbravo posted:

Did part of your post get eaten there?

Yes, I had a bit more about nicknames and their prevalence in Latin culture that I apparently deleted without noticing. This is what I get for trying to rush an iPhone post.

No great loss, though. On with the horrible names!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Aww :(

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

It's short for Françoise, feminine form of François.

Sure is, but it also means vagina in British English.

As for the Spanish names, Mamen just sounds weird and wrong in English. For the other two, it's more the extraordinary full names than anything else. I wonder if it's not dying out in Spain, though - I'm yet to meet someone my age who has a very long name legally.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

schadenfraud posted:

Sure is, but it also means vagina in British English.

As for the Spanish names, Mamen just sounds weird and wrong in English. For the other two, it's more the extraordinary full names than anything else. I wonder if it's not dying out in Spain, though - I'm yet to meet someone my age who has a very long name legally.

The funniest thing I ever saw was taking my English great-aunt to a mall in Canada and showing her Fannie Farmer. She loved it.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

bringmyfishback posted:

The funniest thing I ever saw was taking my English great-aunt to a mall in Canada and showing her Fannie Farmer. She loved it.

I have a British friend who starts snickering every time someone refers to a "fanny pack" in her presence.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

KillerEggplant posted:

I have a British friend who starts snickering every time someone refers to a "fanny pack" in her presence.

My first exposure to this (when I was about 6) was that episode of the Simpsons in which Marge and Lisa are shopping for a bathing suit (swimming costume ?), and Marge points one out and says "It has a starfish on the fanny".
I was shocked and horrified.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Istari posted:

I went to high school with a Peregrine who (this being Australia) went by Pezza.

Is that like how James May calls Jeremy Clarkson "Jezza?"

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

KillerEggplant posted:

Usually telling an American friend that I'm going to pop outside and smoke a fag gets an outright LOL.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Lotish posted:

Is that like how James May calls Jeremy Clarkson "Jezza?"

Exactly. But in Australia, this is outrageously common. (It's a hideous stereotype, but unfortunately, it is true among certain groups of people.) Sharon is Shazza, Gary is Gazza, Barry is Bazza, Darren is Dazza, Terry is Tezza, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sort of like Russian short names but dumb as gently caress.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Aphrodite posted:

That's pretty much how all Australian slang works: sounds like English, but dumb.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Aphroditers posted:

Or hockey nicknames that all end in -ie. Unless your actual name does that, then your nickname is -ers.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Istari posted:

My first exposure to this (when I was about 6) was that episode of the Simpsons in which Marge and Lisa are shopping for a bathing suit (swimming costume ?), and Marge points one out and says "It has a starfish on the fanny".
I was shocked and horrified.
My cousin married an Englishman, moved to the UK, and managed not to learn this bit of language difference until years later when she told a group of fellow moms that she had spanked her daughter's fanny.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Everything you say to him sounds like the set up to a joke.
"Doctor Docktor! I feel like a pair of curtains."
"Well pull yourself together!" :iamafag:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
First thing I thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyl6Cnbfzw

Asinine Tails
Aug 11, 2012
Perry Moore

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
EDIT: Wrong thread, gg.

symbolic has a new favorite as of 04:27 on May 22, 2015

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

UltraVariant posted:

Seeing as how I have to shave for my summer job on Saturday, I decided to have the shittiest sideburns/mutton chop hybrid for a day.

Yes, but is your name terrible?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Beardless posted:

Yes, but is your name terrible?
I hosed up.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Best name ever.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Don't know if it counts as terrible but there's someone in my building called "So Young Kim".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Don't know if it counts as terrible but there's someone in my building called "So Young Kim".

There's a 100% chance that's actually Chris Hansen.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Say Nothing posted:

Best name ever.
Are you referring to Manley Power, or to his late beknighted father Sir Manley Power?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You can never have too much Manly Power.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus has a new favorite as of 13:13 on May 24, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just got a new enrollee whose middle name is Demon. Sadly, his first and last names can't hold a candle to the last Demon to join our classes: Demon Slaughter.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Do you work at Sunnydale High?

On topic, I've been reminded that in addition to Judge Judge, we also have a Lord Lord.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I love that the headline had to reassure us that the fire breath was left at home.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I met two siblings named Dash and Violet, which are perfectly fine names individually, but together they're the names of the kids from The Incredibles. Unfortunately I didn't make the connection until several hours later so I couldn't ask if it was a coincidence or on purpose.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yesterday I met two siblings named Dash and Violet, which are perfectly fine names individually, but together they're the names of the kids from The Incredibles. Unfortunately I didn't make the connection until several hours later so I couldn't ask if it was a coincidence or on purpose.

You know full well what the answer to that question is.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Leaf Artemis (male). What is with all these boys being given the names of goddesses ?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Istari posted:

Leaf Artemis (male). What is with all these boys being given the names of goddesses ?

Given the name "Leaf" I wouldn't be surprised if the parents didn't know of the Greek goddess Artemis and probably named the poor kid after some elf in a fantasy novel or something,

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
I think that one might be Sailor Moon's fault. I assumed Artemis was a masculine name for years because of that show.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the Duggars is named Jinger, to fit in with the other 18's J names.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All on Black posted:

I think that one might be Sailor Moon's fault. I assumed Artemis was a masculine name for years because of that show.

I still think of Elliot as a girl's name because of Scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Burn ward?