Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Little Mac wouldn't be cool if the strat for dealing with him wasn't 'throw him off the stage at 0%, receive kill' when grab out of shield is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sharrrk posted:

lucario is not cool and he is not my friend

If you don't like Mewtwo, you are not my friend.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NTT posted:

Little Mac wouldn't be cool if the strat for dealing with him wasn't 'throw him off the stage at 0%, receive kill' when grab out of shield is broken
He's just not cool. He's too serious and gets no good lines and his animations are boring.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
They should have used literally any Punch Out enemy in place of Mac. Mac is basically designed to be a blank slate.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Here's the cool tier list. Not to be confused with the Manly Tier list, which is similar in rankings, but different conceptually.

Super Top:
Jigglypuff, King DeDeDe, Mr. Game & Watch

Top:
Captain Falcon, Bowser, Ike, Donkey Kong, WFT, Ganondorf, Wario

Upper Mid:
Luigi, Dr. Mario, Megaman, Peach, Charizard, The Koopalings, Falco, Samus, ROB, Duck Hunt, Olimar

Middle Mid:
Mario, Kirby, Toon Link, Fox, Pit, Yoshi, Ness, Shulk, Lucina, Pac-Man, Link, Palutena, Zelda

Lower Mid:
Greninja, Pikachu, Villager, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Robin, Lucario, Little Mac

Bottom:
Rosalina, ZSS, Sheik, Sonic, Miis, Bowser Jr., Marth

Dark Pit:
Dark Pit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

They should have used literally any Punch Out enemy in place of Mac. Mac is basically designed to be a blank slate.
Little Mac was an okay choice, they just made him boring. They could have done more with the character: just look at Mr Game & Watch, a similarly blank slate (literally) who has way more personality in how he's animated.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorry, I'm not really feeling it.

FAU if you played Xenoblade you'd know Shulk's a chill dude except for when robots are penetrating his girlfriend

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

FAU if you played Xenoblade you'd know Shulk's a chill dude except for when robots are penetrating his girlfriend
He's not cool in Smash though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's not cool in Smash though.

And for that Sakurai failed him

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Having a counter move is decidly uncool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Having a counter move is decidly uncool
Sorry, Ike is extremely cool.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Form a single file line and I'll accept apologies from all the Diddy haters.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like how Link is significantly better in this game and he's still trash

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Here's the cool tier list. Not to be confused with the Manly Tier list, which is similar in rankings, but different conceptually.

Super Top:

Top:

Upper Mid:
Luigi, Dr. Mario, Megaman, Peach, Charizard, The Koopalings, Falco, Samus, ROB, Duck Hunt, Olimar

Middle Mid:
Mario, Kirby, Toon Link, Fox, Pit, Yoshi, Ness, Shulk, Lucina, Pac-Man, Link, Palutena, Zelda

Lower Mid:
Greninja, Pikachu, Villager, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Robin, Lucario, Little Mac

Bottom:

Dark Pit:
Dark Pit

you forgot mewtwo

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

To be fair that's just Abadango's opinion, and it's based on for Glory rules.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Remove Sheik from this game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Raserys posted:

Remove Sheik from this game
Why?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turtlicious posted:

The tiers are extremely dumb, because almost any character can be the best if you play them right.
Hmm, very insightful. You should report to the tournament organizers with this information at once

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also most of that list makes sense, but what makes Link so low-tier? He's obviously not as good as Young Link, but I'd think he's at least a C.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

Hmm, very insightful. You should report to the tournament organizers with this information at once

i did and they laughed at me and gave me a swirly.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sheik doesn't belong in smash. She's a hold-over from Zelda's character gimmick in melee and is completely outclassed as a Nintendo All-Star by several other Zelda series characters, especially Impa. Her moveset is very uninspired beyond "she's a close combat ninja" and the only move that is pulled from the one game (not counting Hyrule Warriors) she is from is her vanish up B. Because she was in previous smash titles is the only reason she's in this one. They had the perfect chance to drop her too, considering they were removing all the transforming characters and also dropped Ice Climbers, who were another mainstay from Melee.

You could argue this is the case for Jigglypuff too, but Jigglypuff is harder to replace in the roster. With Sheik, we have a new fast ninja character (Greninja, who also doesn't belong in Smash Bros) and they could have made Impa, who might play similarly, but would be way cooler and more important.

So yeah, they should remove Sheik.

sharrrk posted:

you forgot mewtwo

There isn't enough data on mewtwo to fully decide yet. I could place Lucas though, and that place is right next to Marth.

Edit: That tier list posted is more nonsense Japanese tournament results right?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Tier lists make me sad

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Tier lists are really cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does anyone else play better when playing on Gamer with the English version of Ashley?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does anyone else play better when playing on Gamer with the English version of Ashley?

i play better when live and learn plays on windy hill zone

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tonetta posted:

Tier lists make me sad

Good. Die!!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

FactsAreUseless posted:

I play best on gaur plains right as the guitar solo starts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tonetta posted:

Tier lists make me sad
Agreed, nobody should look at or be interested in a game they play. Pattern recognition is not only impossible, it's evil.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Every time.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Tier lists are good when my favorite character is top tier

otherwise, tier lists are bad

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Tonetta posted:

Tier lists make me sad

Do you think that people who desire to become good at a game should not care about which character is the best? I legit do not understand this attitude.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I mainly use Dr. Mario and Captain Olimar and I say all tier lists are bullshit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

I mainly use Dr. Mario and Captain Olimar and I say all tier lists are bullshit.
Olimar keeps moving up in tiers because people are realizing that he's way better than they assumed. Wario, as well, and I'm glad that more people understand that he's one of the game's strongest characters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm genuinely shocked Shulk has managed to stay as well tiered as he has been. I basically never see him do well at events other than in teams sometimes.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Super Top:

Top:

Upper Mid:

Middle Mid:

Lower Mid:

Bottom:

Dark Pit:
Dark Pit

You forgot Alph.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tonetta posted:

Tier lists make me sad

Tear lists

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tier lists are fun because when your favorite is not in the top bracket you feel more special about doing well with them, amen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I literally never see another Rosalina online and it's super weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FactsAreUseless posted:

Olimar keeps moving up in tiers because people are realizing that he's way better than they assumed. Wario, as well, and I'm glad that more people understand that he's one of the game's strongest characters.
Yeah tier lists are very much not a static thing. Melee's top tiers moved around a whole bunch throughout the game's lifetime

Reiley posted:

Tier lists are fun because when your favorite is not in the top bracket you feel more special about doing well with them, amen
This is the strongest benefit of tier lists. Play low tier and you feel ok when you lose and great when you win.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 20, 2015

• Locked thread