Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

When people actively vote against platforms for improved labor laws, healthcare expansion/socialization, increased minimum wages and continue to support platforms of corporate welfare, regressive taxation, etc....yes, yes I know better about their interests than they do.

What are someone's interests besides what they find important to themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Historically, that color clothing hasn't worked out well for him.

:pusheen:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeeMajors posted:

When people actively vote against platforms for improved labor laws, healthcare expansion/socialization, increased minimum wages and continue to support platforms of corporate welfare, regressive taxation, etc....yes, yes I know better about their interests than they do.

As I said before, most of them earnestly treat suffering as inherently good. What's better for a masochist, pain or no pain? And what's better for sadists, other people in pain or other people not in pain?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

The GOP needs a tournament bracket for debates, complete with seeding and everything. It'd be more entertaining the the NCAA tournament.

This seems like it would be fun:

Seeding gets a bit tricky once you get down past number 5 or 6, just like in NCAA basketball.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Joementum posted:

Ask him about the input Stephanie Kelton gave in crafting the budget response this year and how he sees MMT playing into future budgets.

I'm genuinely curious about the answer to that.

Let me look up about this and think about it. I honestly don't know a ton about that, so I need some knowledge going in and will look it up in my spare time. Only want to look like a fool not an idiot.

They did give a talking points list of:
Get big money out of politics
Deal with obscene wealth and income inequality
Combat climate change
Make college education affordable

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wouldn't worry too much. If you get Bernie talking about a subject he likes he'll just talk. Ask him about seven day mail service. I guarantee you'll get a ten minute answer.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

As I said before, most of them earnestly treat suffering as inherently good. What's better for a masochist, pain or no pain? And what's better for sadists, other people in pain or other people not in pain?
Because they operate under misguided notions of what the effects of those laws will be, and why poor people are poor - suffering as a means to self-improvement or whatever, rather than it just being part of systemic oppression. They are absolutely acting against their best interests, they just don't know it.

People are not perfectly rational and it's dumb to think that they are. Their actions do not necessarily map onto what they want, because actions are always done in a context.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 20, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tom Gorman posted:

Best thing about a potential Hillary presidency is Bill wearing more and more cream colored suits, as his ties keep getting progressively wackier.

2019 State of the Union, a quick cut to the balcony. There's Bill, wearing a piano key tie, eating an ice cream sandwich.

That sounds positively awful. I mean vegan ice cream inside a vegan chocolate wafer? gently caress that. I'm voting Jeb just to save Bill that horror.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Zwabu posted:

Seeding gets a bit tricky once you get down past number 5 or 6, just like in NCAA basketball.

Rick Perry should obviously be a 3 seed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zwabu posted:

How the hell can you have Ted Cruz in the 3 seed? :psyduck:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I don't really understand seeding or brackets but I can confirm that Ted Cruz's name is too big.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Have the candidates face off in a lincoln-douglas style debate with :newt: as moderator, with the audience deciding who gets to advance to the next round. I would totally be cool with that being the new GOP nomination process.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Kalman posted:

Except that the numbers say that the vast majority of the very rich don't pay much different in terms of effective rate now compared to then - only the very top few (the top 0.5% and really only the top 0.1%) do, and a lot of them aren't making their money from ordinary income anyway these days.

The "top income tax rate used to be 90%!" is a red herring that ignores huge changes in compensation structures and economic distribution, or worse, assumes that those changes are due to (rather than in spite of) the tax bracket changes.

Increase minimum wage.

Establish maximum wage and maximum net worth.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but federal minimum wage right now is $7.25, minimum wage workers would more than double their income. If my income doubles and prices only rise 11% my purchasing power is increased, not diminished.

Also, as an aside, the idea that anyone who works hard to provide for themselves, and possibly others, deserves less than $15 an hour is ludicrous and heartless.

"If they were working hard, they would be making more than minimum wage."

This is what people opposed to it actually believe.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I would unironically support Republican Thunderdome and/or Hunger Games.

Pie(or hot dog)-eating contest.

The winner: Mike Huckabee or Chris Christie!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

a shameful boehner posted:

1. Businesses see an increase in aggregate demand.
2. Businesses hire more workers to meet the demand.
3. Everyone is better off. Prices may increase, slightly; increased purchasing power from workers allows them to still target businesses offering the most competitive pricing on goods.

Wait, does this explain why there are so many Republican presidential candidates this year?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

I think the problem was that color on other peoples' clothing, not his.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Series DD Funding posted:

What are someone's interests besides what they find important to themselves?

I don't follow. If I want something that's bad, why would you want to let me have it? I'd be the one in the wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't follow. If I want something that's bad, why would you want to let me have it? I'd be the one in the wrong.
I believe Mr. Funding is leading up to "see you liberals are so arrogant and act like you know what people really want, maybe if you were deferential to their cultural totems while destroying their livelihoods you'd win elections."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

Dude.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Zwabu posted:

Good start but needs some changes.

Put Rubio at 3, Paul at 5, Cruz at 6, move Kasich up to 7, Jindal at 8. Trump, Fiorina and Carson can round out the bottom 3.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

uncurable mlady posted:

Rick Perry should obviously be a 3 seed.

Santorum should obviously be a number 2 seed.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Roseo posted:

:sbahj:

Why the hell is Christie 7?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Titus Sardonicus posted:

:sbahj:

Why the hell is Christie 7?

Early exit from the conference tournament. Also the coach is fat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

How the gently caress is Christie so teflon? The guy operates like a sleazy mob boss and even looks the part, yet conservatives somehow love his rear end.

Is the bar literally "GETS poo poo DONE :smug:?"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

LeeMajors posted:

How the gently caress is Christie so teflon? The guy operates like a sleazy mob boss and even looks the part, yet conservatives somehow love his rear end.

They hated him after Sandy, but loved him after Bridgegate for sticking it to the Democrat liberal mayor of Fort Lee.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I dunno. It sounds like he's not that popular in his home state and no one outside really gives a poo poo about him anymore. A few years ago he was the dream of beltway pundits to get idiot fiscally conservative dems to vote for a Moderate Republican (also known as a regular one that just doesn't hate minorities as openly) but that seems done now that he pissed off the tea party by talking to Obama and it's becoming publicly clear why Romney considered his closet too full of skeletons.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

He's teflon with conservatives perhaps, but from what I hear he's not real popular in his state anymore. Bridgegate didn't put him in jail but it destroyed his presidential ambitions.

That, and all those Wegmans bills.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Roseo posted:

:wow:

For real, though, have we heard definitively whether Christie is in or out?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LeeMajors posted:

yet conservatives somehow love his rear end.

Not really. Christie's favorability is at -17%.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Alter Ego posted:

He's teflon with conservatives perhaps, but from what I hear he's not real popular in his state anymore. Bridgegate didn't put him in jail but it destroyed his presidential ambitions.

Hm, maybe it's the just the idiotic voters in SC that I converse with, but lots of people down here like him. I still have no idea why he's not in jail with his staffers.

He's not quite as well-loved down here as Huckabee though. :rolleyes:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LeeMajors posted:

Hm, maybe it's the just the idiotic voters in SC that I converse with, but lots of people down here like him.

53% of South Carolina Republican primary voters said they will NOT vote for Christie.

The Tea Party crowd haaaaates him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No no, just no-fault divorce. Adultery and maybe domestic violence are perfectly valid traditional divorce causes. Oh, and desertion, which is sort of like adultery but without the fun bits.

Catching up with the thread but traditionally no fault divorce and domestic violence are interlinked, as in one significantly decreasing the other.

quote:

Economists Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers, based on findings in their research, argue that domestic violence and female suicide decline in states that legalize no-fault divorce.[6] Specifically, they report that "states that adopted no-fault divorce experienced a decrease of 8 to 16 percent in wives' suicide rates and a 30 percent decline in domestic violence."[7] They also argue that their research proves that there is no permanent effect of no-fault divorce laws on divorce rates.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-fault_divorce

Never realized the numbers were so large.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Oh yeah, I was speaking anecdotally for sure. That also means 47% of primary voters could vote for Christie.

I'm in the Charleston area so we have a huge number of democrats and then a really diverse group of republicans.

I'm amazed he has traction with anyone at all anymore.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Series DD Funding posted:

Bernie Sanders is elected on the promise of giving a $200 xbox one voucher to every goon. However, Microsoft finds they can't produce any more. What happens to the price? (3 points)

Oh my god this is my favorite post I've ever seen.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZxDrJi9UE

We've learned Hillary's accomplishments as Secretary of State include:
-Can't think of anything
-Can't think of anything
-Can't think of anything
-What is secretary of state?
-Scott Walker is gonna take mah unions!!!!!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arkane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZxDrJi9UE

We've learned Hillary's accomplishments as Secretary of State include:
-Can't think of anything
-Can't think of anything
-Can't think of anything
-What is secretary of state?
-Scott Walker is gonna take mah unions!!!!!
There are no 10 Iowans you could put in a room and ask about Hillary at State without at least one wrinkling up their mouth and curtly saying BENGHAZI. Like even the Democrats there, heh, at least one would be a blue dog angry at Hillary.

Also I almost typed HOLLA-ry, which I think is a good nickname.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
When your two immediate predecessors are Condi and Powell, not being notable is an accomplishment in itself.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
What sort of accomplishments should we look for in a Secretary of State? The position or the department itself is kind of reactionary and all about damage control. If it is able to maintain a status quo then it is doing alright.

Are there any notable examples of an accomplishment linked specifically to a particular Sec. State?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Hillary's greatest accomplishment is holding together the Washington consensus after Wall Street nuked the global economy. You might (rightly) argue that it's a net-negative for the world, but it's also a pillar of US global power. Our relationship with the rest of the world was at an absurd low in 2007 - Hillary was a workhorse that put us back on track, which is why we're talking about trade deals today with Asian economies.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

What sort of accomplishments should we look for in a Secretary of State? The position or the department itself is kind of reactionary and all about damage control. If it is able to maintain a status quo then it is doing alright.

Are there any notable examples of an accomplishment linked specifically to a particular Sec. State?

Seward's Folly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I would unironically support Republican Thunderdome

At the end Rick Perry's glasses fly off, revealing that he has the mind of a child.

• Locked thread