Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm about 3 hours in and I'm yet to find a place that lets me choose what happened on Witcher 1 and 2. I don't know if I've messed up right at the start, because "Simulate Witcher 2 Save" is as ambiguous a prompt as it can be.

Without spoilers, I've completed the tutorial, walked into a bar and then wandered around a bit doing sidequests and ignoring the main quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm about 3 hours in and I'm yet to find a place that lets me choose what happened on Witcher 1 and 2. I don't know if I've messed up right at the start, because "Simulate Witcher 2 Save" is as ambiguous a prompt as it can be.

You'll get it when you leave the first area.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Nekkers and endregas drop so many mutagens, god drat. I've fought a few pack of them and have half a dozen of lesser mutagens of each color.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

How are people liking Sign-heavy builds this time around? It appears that's what I've started to work towards, though I'm only level 4 so it's not like I've made any real commitments yet. I went heavy into Alchemy in The Witcher 2, but Signs seem more exciting this time around.

I'm sad because I don't have enough slots for all the thingies I picked, so I am trying to invest in one thing as much as possible before picking another. My stuff right now is like:

-Magic: Axii +3 (for maximum mind melting in dialogues, though I haven't noticed any special options yet)
-Misc: Adrenaline increases Sign damage
-Misc: Signs can be cast with adrenaline
-Misc: Signs generate adrenaline
-Combat: Adrenaline loss from getting hit is lower...iirc I'm only leveling this one so I can get to the last box on that branch which is like "use adrenaline to become God of Signs" or something

I'll probably stick with Axii and Yrden since I barely used them in the other games and I felt guilt. Igni seems nice too though.
Quen is being ignored because I am strong-willed. :colbert:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

If anybody is interested in making the game look a poo poo ton better, use this sweetFX preset: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3696/

Usually i don't use these kind of things (enb shaders, sweet fx, etc.) since I tend to think they go way to far, but this preset makes the game look 100x more realistic IMO. Check these comparison screens out:
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/25245/full/
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/25185/full
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/25179/full

Also, don't know if anyone's mentioned this fix, but I was having little micro-stuttering when turning the camera and when walking through villages. I found a fix that works perfectly: In the games Nvidia control panel profile, set max prerendered frames to 1. Completely fixed it for me.

I would like to do this, but the site says you have to disable steam overlay? Is this true? That seems really annoying to me since I chat all the time on steam

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Got past the first open world portion last night. Man this game is fun to just ride around and get lost in. And these facial animations aren't loving around. That part at the end when the girl starts slamming the innkeep's face into the bar and you have to kill all the bandits is pretty intense. The look on Geralt's face when he tries to help the innkeep and she's cowering from him really sells just how alone he is and how getting involved might not actually be worth it.

I also dug how cold Yennifer is coming off after you finally get to her. I am honestly wondering if I'm going to persue a relationship with her or Triss. If that's even a choice.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest movement complaint I have is that you can fall like three inches before you lose a huge chunk of health. Seriously, I am waiting for the reveal that all Witchers have ankles made of fragile glass or something.

that needs to be patched so loving bad. the massive amounts of fall damage from such negligible heights is mindblowing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

So is there an actual difference between light/medium/heavy armor other than different inventory load and protection stats? There doesn't seem to be any affect on speed or maneuverability and I'm perfectly willing to not be able to grab quite so many rusty swords and hatchets in return for better protection because I just found a few heavy armor pieces.

Less stamina recovery the heavier your armor is, otherwise it's just your talent choice that determines what you want to wear.

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
Did everyone else get a green (alchemy) mutagen from the White Orchard boss? I see a lot of people talking about putting points in other trees, but having an alchemy mutagen makes me want to start going down that path to make the mutagen worth it. If that mutagen is always the first one, it's kind of a clever move as I would probably never think about spending points in the alchemy tree otherwise :shrug:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Running a i5 2500k and a gtx 660 and getting somewhat less than satisfying fps, no matter if settings are on Low or on Ultra... :confused: Would overclocking the CPU help noticably?

SSAO/HBAO and Hairworks are both off, ofc. So is Anti-aliasing.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 20, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GarethIW posted:

Did everyone else get a green (alchemy) mutagen from the White Orchard boss? I see a lot of people talking about putting points in other trees, but having an alchemy mutagen makes me want to start going down that path to make the mutagen worth it. If that mutagen is always the first one, it's kind of a clever move as I would probably never think about spending points in the alchemy tree otherwise :shrug:

Most of those boss mutagens can also be used for decoctions, I'm pretty sure they're static.

e:

PirateBob posted:

Running a i5 2500k and a gtx 660 and getting somewhat less than satisfying fps, no matter if settings are on Low or on Ultra... :confused: Would overclocking the CPU help noticably?

Do you have either Hairworks or HBAO turned on? Hairworks especially is a resource hog.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Do you have to have the particular sign selected to get the benefits of the +Stamina regen?

e.g. let's say I assign my 3/3 upgraded Quen and 1/3 upgraded Igni. Does my stamina regen change as I switch between them, or do I get the stacked benefit of both all the time?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love the sound design on this too. I was walking through a forest and the weather changed to windy. I though the trees were going to come down on me it sounded so good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

How do you refill bombs and potions? I can create them just fine, but can't refill my stock far as I can tell.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Do you have to have the particular sign selected to get the benefits of the +Stamina regen?

e.g. let's say I assign my 3/3 upgraded Quen and 1/3 upgraded Igni. Does my stamina regen change as I switch between them, or do I get the stacked benefit of both all the time?

You get both if both traits are equipped.

evilmiera posted:

How do you refill bombs and potions? I can create them just fine, but can't refill my stock far as I can tell.

Meditate. Bombs are free, potions require hard alcohol.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You'll get it when you leave the first area.

Thanks. You mean the first "real" area, right? Not Kaer Morhen.

Another thing I forgot: Items in the "Junk" category are either for selling or dismantling for crafting components, according to the tooltip. How do I break them down?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks. You mean the first "real" area, right? Not Kaer Morhen.

Another thing I forgot: Items in the "Junk" category are either for selling or dismantling for crafting components, according to the tooltip. How do I break them down?

Blacksmith.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Heh, I stumbled on the Griffon nest while I was exploring White Orchard before I officially picked up the quest. When I finally got it, I auto-skipped the other two steps(had buckthorn, already)....so I guess I missed a couple cutscenes. Still tracked down the herbalist to do her quest, though.

I'm sort of pissed learning that I missed out on the crystal raven skull....hopefully it doesn't turn into a whole thing 50 hours later.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Has anyone else started hitting W2 save politics stuff? Curious to see how it changes the game.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 20, 2015

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
SOOOOOO I ran into an interesting bug.

In the way way northern border of White Orchard by the deserter's camp near the mill. I ran into a campsite with a telescope. Searching one of the containers yielded my a max stack ot Spy Notes which proceeded to duplicated itself 1000 times in my inventory.

Dafuq! :psyduck:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sell them for 1000 crowns

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Has anyone else started hitting W2 save politics stuff? Curious to see how it changes the game.

As discussed on the previous page none of W2 politics events matter anymore

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, how do you fight anything under water? Or do you just lure stuff from underwater to land?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

SSAO/HBAO and Hairworks are both off, ofc. So is Anti-aliasing.
The processor is fine, you really need to upgrade your video card to get much improvement.

With that said, why the hell did you buy a 2500K and not overclock? Overclock it already, you're wasting one of the best processors for OCing right now.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
If you want a good silver sword to replace your viper one: go to the island south of the haunted tower (the place with the big circular encampment on a medium sized island). On the island there are a few chests with large brick rubble and it starts a sunken treasure quest. In the ruins under water there are a TON of chests. At least 7, some hidden in deep nooks so you can't see them with witcher vision from the surface. One of them has Diethwin. level 4-ish and outclasses the viper school silver sword.

I also have so many high level crafting components that I would outfit half the northern army with awesome gear. But I don't have the diagrams or level to use any of it. I wonder if I should sell some of it off.

I'm also disaapointed that there wasn't more variation in merchants.

Innkeeps will give you the best coin for pelts.
Armor/weapon smiths will give good coin for weapons and armors.
Regular merchants can go get hosed. loving robbers.

Broose fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 20, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Broose posted:

I also have so many high level crafting components that I would outfit half the northern army with awesome gear. But I don't have the diagrams or level to use any of it. I wonder if I should sell some of it off.

I'm wondering that myself. I wish there was some kind of stash so I could keep all these various magical metals around in case I need them at some point. I can't use any of them now and I have no idea when I'll be able to, but my crafting materials tab is already massive and I've barely started the game.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OMG I think I found the remains of Demavend's flotilla from this video! :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwCXw8m0PHI

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I love the sound design on this too. I was walking through a forest and the weather changed to windy. I though the trees were going to come down on me it sounded so good.

The sound design of W3 is a BIG improvement over the last two.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Had an interesting bug just now. Somehow my health did not go down during a fight with 5 Nekkers.
Maybe I swigged a potion just in the right moment when they otherwise would have killed me.
Once I noticed, I just stood there and let them claw at me for 10 seconds to make sure.
After I killed them, I ventured on and came to a small campsite with two bandits.
The second I drew my sword they just fell over screaming and died. Huh.

With my new found superpowers I thought I could backtrack and kill that level 13 alghoul I had to run away from (myself being still lvl 4), but somehow my invincibility faded out on the way.
He oneshotted me.

drat, I wish Shadowplay would work reliably with Witcher 3.
What's the deal with that? Fullscreen doesn't work at all, borderless window mode sometimes allows to record, but often it's just a green screen when I check the file. drat shame.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sekenr posted:

OMG I think I found the remains of Demavend's flotilla from this video! :stare:

Well spill it then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you fine folks made it to Novigrad (or any large city/township) yet? (And on PC?)

I have this running in a very nice manner locked at 30fps on PC. I also have it on PS4. I've basically made it to the Griffin on both to compare and see which played better/looked better. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's working VERY happily on my PC and looking real good all the while. What I fear, however, is I'm going to invest tens of hours into the game only to find I get to Novigrad or some major-ish town and find the architecture/people population just fucks my poo poo right up.

Thoughts?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

As a person who cracked out on Witcher 1 back in the day, I can't tell you how psyched I was when I found the monocle in the first area when investigating that spy mission. I know what's coming...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Feenix posted:

Any of you fine folks made it to Novigrad (or any large city/township) yet? (And on PC?)

I have this running in a very nice manner locked at 30fps on PC. I also have it on PS4. I've basically made it to the Griffin on both to compare and see which played better/looked better. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's working VERY happily on my PC and looking real good all the while. What I fear, however, is I'm going to invest tens of hours into the game only to find I get to Novigrad or some major-ish town and find the architecture/people population just fucks my poo poo right up.

Thoughts?

Running through Novigrad on PS4 has NPC pop-in like crazy if you full tilt to where you're going. Not sure that's not also an issue on PC though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So fair warning to you all. If you have too large of an inventory some of your items will be lost forever when meeting the Emperor.

I lost my griffin trophy because of that. Now I can't have a 10% chance to dismember enemies by default. :argh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Orv posted:

Running through Novigrad on PS4 has NPC pop-in like crazy if you full tilt to where you're going. Not sure that's not also an issue on PC though.

I imagine that would depend on PC slider for pop dens.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Rookersh posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&pagenumber=59&perpage=40#post445516868

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

What about your choice of Witcher 2 ending?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Archonex posted:

So fair warning to you all. If you have too large of an inventory some of your items will be lost forever when meeting the Emperor.

I lost my griffin trophy because of that. Now I can't have a 10% chance to dismember enemies by default. :argh:

If it's any consolation the contract from the crows perch message board drops a trophy that does the same thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

What about your choice of Witcher 2 ending?

Think ME3 more than anything. Choices don't carry any real weight between games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I didn't expect it to I just want to know what it does.