Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set grabs a few souvenirs.

Working Daze leverages mind control.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

No firearms are to be used within city limits so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elupFNLJrIA

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I've never seen a single episode of Dexter. Am I broken?

No you are not. The first season or two is enjoyable, but it all goes so wrong that you aren't missing anything by skipping it.

DEXTER RATINGS ON IMDB

Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

NOW: TIGER

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Indolent Bastard posted:

No firearms are to be used within city limits so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elupFNLJrIA

No you are not. The first season or two is enjoyable, but it all goes so wrong that you aren't missing anything by skipping it.

DEXTER RATINGS ON IMDB

I've never seen ratings do that before, it just makes me curious what could have possibly gone so wrong

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bismuth posted:

I've never seen ratings do that before, it just makes me curious what could have possibly gone so wrong

Gorilla Salad posted:

He leaves his children with a female serial killer in Argentina and becomes a lumberjack.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 20, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Trinity season (4?) is the last one worth watching.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bismuth posted:

I think the producers wanted to end the show but the suits made them keep going. Also, they wanted to have an ending where Dexter actually suffered for what he'd done, but that was nixed as well.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Aleph Null posted:

I think the producers wanted to end the show but the suits made them keep going. Also, they wanted to have an ending where Dexter actually suffered for what he'd done, but that was nixed as well.

Wait so is the lumberjack thing not a joke?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bismuth posted:

Wait so is the lumberjack thing not a joke?

Looking at wikipedia, no it is not :laffo:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Looking at wikipedia, no it is not :laffo:

Oh my god, thats great

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

poo poo just kept getting more and more contrived and absurd, basically.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's and the continued Lafayette duel.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

I guess Steve Kelley is going for the "drag the same joke on for an entire week" thing

They should expand on this future dystopia where humans work for robots.

Bleeker

Bleeker is going to be extra white by the time this is over.

Sweet, time to run up Skip's parents' credit cards again!

On the Fastrack

Fastrack and Bleeker are on the same wavelength.

Ew, Letterman.

Safe Havens

Why?

Uh, does Holbrook know how hard it is to get hired as a university professor? Especially when you mention "By the way, I'll be leaving for a trip to Mars"?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke's writing is offensive in any language.

Pibgorn

Pibgorn is more of a dung heap than usual today.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's something off about Luann today.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
"Tiffany Vanderipe" looks like a middle-aged woman

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jfc pibgorn.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Apparently BM hates his own strip almost as much as we do.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

That's right, order today and you too can have your own Brooke-certified Pile o' Gams

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, I picked up one of DC's Showcase collections, House of Secrets vol. 2. It was pretty good, some nice '70's horror comics and all that. But, one of the stories, for some reason, I looked down at the credits and what do I see? Artist: Frank Bolle. And it was a nice looking story too!

This is the issue.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

catlord posted:

So, I picked up one of DC's Showcase collections, House of Secrets vol. 2. It was pretty good, some nice '70's horror comics and all that. But, one of the stories, for some reason, I looked down at the credits and what do I see? Artist: Frank Bolle. And it was a nice looking story too!

This is the issue.

Oh yeah. Frank Bolle did a ton of comic book work back in the day, mostly in horror.

The man's 90 years old now, for what its worth.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's a Zoran Music style pile of corpses right? In his fantasy sex-comedy thing?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Holbrook's been making comics for 20 years and doesn't know how to draw someone looking to the side.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Holbrook's been making comics for 20 years and doesn't know how.

There. You were a little too specific.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

There. You were a little too specific.

You're right of course, but the messed-up sidelong glance is just amazing to me every time I see it.

:qq: No, Tiffany really is a Bad Person! Look, she doesn't enjoy working with children, what a monster!! Stop noticing how cruel Luann is and accept that it's justified :qq:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Guys we all missed something terribly important here. Let me quote Gene Weingarten from the Washington Post:

quote:

Are you familiar with the Sunday comic strip "Slylock Fox," which chronicles the adventures of its eponymous vulpine detective and his rodent sidekick, Max Mouse? They solve one-paragraph crimes. The target audience is little kids, which is why Slylock Fox always offers a secondary feature, in which the reader is challenged to find the six hidden differences in two seemingly identical cartoons.

According to its website, Slylock Fox reaches 30 million eyeballs, a number that is wildly exaggerated. All comic strips wildly exaggerate the size of their audience, because such information is proprietary and no one ever checks. I know this because I am an insider, co-authoring “Barney & Clyde,” a comic strip with seven billion readers. Anyway, something recently happened that impelled me to telephone Bob Weber, Slylock Fox's creator and cartoonist.

Me: I am not a fan of Slylock Fox so much as a devotee. A disciple, if you will.

Bob: Great!

Me: You know, Bob, life is bewildering and confusing enough already, isn't it?

Bob: It is.

Me: So we need to take comfort in those few, small islands of sanity and certitude that remain, those safe places where no one is trying to con us, where politics and marketing do not intrude, and where truth is not some elusive or elastic fact. One of those comforting, safe havens plops on our doorsteps on Sunday. So if Slylock Fox promises us that there are six differences between picture A and picture B, there will be six.

Bob: I know! Absolutely! I am so ...

Me: So on Sunday I found the extra shadow on the pavement. I found the extra valentine heart. I found the missing leaf. I found the bunny's eyelashes. I found the doggie's extra tooth. I found the extra fold of paper around the bouquet. And as always, when I hit the sixth one, I stopped counting and started reading the upside-down small print, to confirm my diagnosis. That is where I discovered the doggie's tail was also missing. I hadn't seen that! But I HAD seen the scrap of paper, which was not mentioned in your solution. In other words, there had been SEVEN differences, not six.

Bob: I know. I am so sorry. I was so upset I couldn't even get out of bed this morning.

Me: How did this happen, man???

Bob: Before i shipped the page off to King Features, I was looking at it in Photoshop, and I meant to get rid of that unnecessary piece of tissue paper, but I only did it once, in the top cartoon. I forgot the bottom!

Me: Man.

Bob: I know. I am so ashamed.

Me: So listen, while I have you on the phone...

Bob: Sure....

Me: Slylock Fox keeps arresting Count Weirdly and putting him in jail...

Bob: Yes, and Shady Shrew...

Me: Right, and Shady, but they never seem to stay in prison. They're always out and about for the next episode, to be arrested again. Why is that?

Bob: There must be some revolving door there. Maybe someone's paying someone off. I just don't know what's going on there.

Me: You should find out!

Bob: I know!

Me: I don't mind that Cassandra Cat is always at large, though. Rowr.

Bob: I know! People really like her. I have to keep drawing her or people complain.

Me: Also, a few weeks ago, Slylock and Max crash landed their jet plane into some jungly area, and the challenge was for them to figure out which continent they were on.

Bob: Right.

Me: They had no idea which continent they were flying over? What kind of navigators are they?

Bob: They must have been in a deadly nosedive, a tailspin that disoriented them and could have taken them anywhere. They lost consciousness. That's all I can think of. It must have been awful for them.

Me: I am 63. Do you have other readers as old as I am?

Bob: Until about fifteen years ago, before the Internet, I couldn't have told you who our readers were. But now I know, and there are some as old as you.

Me: Are they senile, too?

Bob: Well, I'll just say that they are reading it, so it must be something.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Holbrook's been making comics for 20 years and doesn't know how to draw someone looking to the side.
30 years. Only Kevin and Kell, his newest comic, is 20 years old

Presto posted:

Guys we all missed something terribly important here. Let me quote Gene Weingarten from the Washington Post:
Good to know 63 year old men still get off to cartoon cats.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pictured above - Brooke's basement.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I actually could have used this earlier today.

F Minus

What?

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

He is Matt Murdock!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Say Nothing posted:

Note the lovingly-rendered torn off stumps of wings.

I think what bothers me most that he's on record as saying his characters are like his children. And then he does stuff like this to them. That's pretty ugly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn
Didn't this have a different punchline last time?

If you were still invested enough in the show to care about that ending, you have some really low standards.

Bismuth posted:

The worst of it really started in the second-last season, when Dexter's detective sister (Debra) discovered that he was a serial killer and ended up killing her boss to protect him. The cliffhanger at the end of the previous season where she walks in on him killing someone set some pretty high expectations, and they just totally failed to deliver on them. It wasn't handled well at all. The final season is just bad from start to finish, basically.

Aleph Null posted:

It would have been much better if Debra hadn't discovered Dexter was a serial killer, but had started finding evidence that would eventually lead to him, so Dexter would have to deal her being on his trail. Only have her discover who it is she's been investigating in the final episode, then maybe she arrests him, maybe he kills himself, whatever. Having her know he was a serial killer for two whole seasons was just terrible.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

:qq: No, Tiffany really is a Bad Person! Look, she doesn't enjoy working with children, what a monster!! Stop noticing how cruel Luann is and accept that it's justified :qq:
Well, as a woman, she is obviously a terrible person if she doesn't like kids. And on top of that she's also ambitious and confident. Not like Luann, who loves kids and has no particular ambition other than to marry Quill. Or maybe Gunther.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Walker posted:

I actually could have used this earlier today.

F Minus

What?

Hippies will chain themselves to trees to stop them from being cut down, but this guy is chaining himself to a tree so it will be cut down. What a delightful reversal.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

30 years. Only Kevin and Kell, his newest comic, is 20 years old

Good to know 63 year old men still get off to cartoon cats.

His readers aren't the only people who like her. :heysexy:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Ah page 640. That should be enough pages for anybody. :v:

Say Nothing posted:

That made me laugh as I pictured Brooke's basement "rumpus room" decorated with hundreds of just the lower halves of mannequins.

I love this guy's cartoonish wind-up. Arm back, spinny the ball around horizontally...

Jane's World

drat, this woman is really coming off bitter. gently caress relationships then, jeeze.

Non Sequitur

Well, I guess his overhead's low if you don't count fuel oil to fill that tank, or food.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

And, I don't know about the punchlines, Tiggum but since these strips are now showing up in newspapers, I'm not surprised if they're modified from the originals. However, I would wonder why they're modified.

Kliban's Cats

Huh. Speaking of Brooke's gam filled basement... 9 Chickweed Lane 5/21/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Clearly that's Uncle Fester there on the left, but what is up with the woman on the far right? Is that a tattoo, or part of her sweater, or a piece of jewelry?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

Intelligent Life

Retail

• Locked thread