Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I will probably try this as well in 4 hrs time but I remain skeptical. This is what first popped into my brain when you guys started talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cB7A4gxGHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

They serve it without any sauce as they believe it's a too intense taste that dominates the meat.

And a thick rear end slice of tomato doesn't? :psyduck:

I'm glad that burgers have evolved past its primitive origins. It's like pizza, margherita is a neat novelty and all but give me a slice of pepperoni any day please.

Edit: Looked into it a bit more, turns out the first ever burger was actually invented by Otto Kuase in Hamburg in 1891, which better fits what I originally thought. Apparently it was originally a sandwich with a beef patty cooked in butter topped with a fried egg, which sounds better tbh. Louis Lassen was the the first to serve a burger in America though in 1900, which then went on to be popular at the 1904 World's Fair.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 19, 2015

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
to be fair lots of tomato is tasteless poo poo unless it is in season or is a cherry tomato.

Fetus Tree posted:

The fact that you've never heard of anybody doing that is indicative more about you than anything about me

it indicates that i have never heard of people doing it before.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I just got home from a long weekend and pulled out my sourdough starter last night. Fed it after it went to room temperature. I see burgers with homemade buns in my future...

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
gently caress I love burgs. We have some pretty good burgs where I am from (beetroot and egg gently caress yeah) but I went to Hawaii and ate some american cooked burgs and holy poo poo what do you do to them!?!?

First it was all like "how do you want it cooked" - and I almost laughed, who asks a question like that about some lovely burger? But I responded with medium rare, which is how I eat steak. Then it came out. Its was big, it looked delicious,and when I bit into it I realised the error of my ways.

The beef was juicy and rare, but the outside of the patty was black and near crunchy. I think that's the key, and I ate many burgs while I was in Hawaii, and they all had this caramelisation and it was glorious. Maybe it was the volcanic grass they ate, but I think it was the cooking method that made them tasty.

Thank you yanks for showing me that burgs can be elevated to more than just a fast food lazy meal.

P.S. loco moco is also amazing, and I think its relevant because loco moco has a burger patty on it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

klen dool posted:

gently caress I love burgs. We have some pretty good burgs where I am from (beetroot and egg gently caress yeah) but I went to Hawaii and ate some american cooked burgs and holy poo poo what do you do to them!?!?

First it was all like "how do you want it cooked" - and I almost laughed, who asks a question like that about some lovely burger? But I responded with medium rare, which is how I eat steak. Then it came out. Its was big, it looked delicious,and when I bit into it I realised the error of my ways.

The beef was juicy and rare, but the outside of the patty was black and near crunchy. I think that's the key, and I ate many burgs while I was in Hawaii, and they all had this caramelisation and it was glorious. Maybe it was the volcanic grass they ate, but I think it was the cooking method that made them tasty.

Thank you yanks for showing me that burgs can be elevated to more than just a fast food lazy meal.

P.S. loco moco is also amazing, and I think its relevant because loco moco has a burger patty on it.

I think this is a really good post and opinion

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Loco Moco is divine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

klen dool posted:

burgs with no crusty browning on the meat are the saddest possible burgs

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Norns posted:

Loco Moco is divine.

Truly it is food of the gods. When we went to Hawaii a few years back, I think I had this about 2x a day.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

lol if you image search Loco Moco, every single image has a fried egg

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Midniter posted:

When I worked at Five Guys,

thank you for giving dad gay so what gout

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Manslaughter posted:

That's literally a key component of the dish. White sticky rice, hamburger patty, fried egg, brown gravy. Enjoy with macaroni salad and copious amounts of Tabasco. hell yeah

Teri (as in teriyaki glazed) burgers in Hawaii also own a lot. Any random little dingy plate lunch place will serve them and they are fantastic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Manslaughter posted:

Finally a restaurant that gets it, an egg makes everything better.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Oh jeez I thought that was the name of a restaurant not a dish. My bad!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Manslaughter posted:

Oh jeez I thought that was the name of a restaurant not a dish. My bad!

it's both, you're still wrong

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Manslaughter posted:

That's part of the dish. Also fried eggs are one of the best things on this earth.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Sometimes I eat fried eggs by themselves. :stonk:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Loco moco seems like a dish conceived by a hangover addled bachelor. Literally "what's in the fridge, left over rice, an egg, a burger and left over brown sauce".

Despite that, I think the dish can be prepared in such a way that it rivals even the most smug eggs benedict in both taste and skill to produce.

How do people cook their patties? I have a stainless steel pan, a non stick pan, a sandwich press that gets pretty drat hot, a oven with gas elements, a lovely gas powered BBQ (and my gas is empty) and a charcoal BBQ.

I usually just fry them, but its just not the same.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

klen dool posted:

Loco moco seems like a dish conceived by a hangover addled bachelor. Literally "what's in the fridge, left over rice, an egg, a burger and left over brown sauce".

Despite that, I think the dish can be prepared in such a way that it rivals even the most smug eggs benedict in both taste and skill to produce.

ehhnnn, not really. egg's benedict is a quality thing. at heart, loco moco is meant to be filling. that is, at it's peak, it is competently made and it can't really aspire to be anything more. use rice that isn't old, form up a decent hamburger steak, get fresh eggs and fry them so they're fried and don't just seem poached, that is essentially the apex of the thing. the only real window for improvement or distinguishing between ability and, like, craft is how much effort goes into making the gravy. even there, man, poo poo packet gravy mix isn't exactly bad.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I have traveled the lands from California to Nebraska, and I have tasted the meats from In n' out to Runza, but I shall declare that Freddy's Steakburger is the fast food burger champ.

Something about their meat patties, with that griddle browning sets my heart aflame.

Go visit your local burger church.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i wanna insert that into my body

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Chinatown posted:

i wanna insert that into my body

http://www.freddysusa.com/Locations/

Find them, go to them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wife wants to head down to Denver this weekend, I'll pretend it's because of this burger. Will report after.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Moey posted:

Wife wants to head down to Denver this weekend, I'll pretend it's because of this burger. Will report after.

Have to get the double btw, single is wrong ratio of meat/bun. And California Style means lettuce and Tomato.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Nation posted:

I see a good future ahead for you, burg in peace

Thank you, brother.

BIP

The Midniter posted:

When I worked at Five Guys, we toasted the hamburger buns without anything on them just on the flattop, but for those customers who asked for grilled cheese, we used a thin layer of mayo which griddles up to a beautiful golden brown. This is because Five Guys doesn't use butter of any kind, and they're not going to stock it just for the twelve grilled cheeses they sell per day. No one can tell the different and it works quite beautifully.

Of course when I worked there I griddled the buns for my employee meal with mayo and had a triple patty burger. It was great, until after I quit working there I swore off burgs for 18 months...couldn't even look at them.

Now I am rehabilitated, and frequently burg like any normal person should.

Holy poo poo, this sounds very good. I will apply this on Saturday (my burg day every week) at home and will post report with pics.

klen dool posted:

Exactly.
I mean, not to be a loving snob, as a simple burg can always be as delicious as anything else, but if you put some effort into it, burgs can be pretty sofisticated dishes too:

https://www.cheeseandburger.com

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh so burgers with toast instead of fancy buns are OK? Cause that's how I most often prefer my burgers (easy, tasty, less bread to content ratio) but I didn't like to take photos of my depraved ways.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

klen dool posted:

How do people cook their patties? I have a stainless steel pan, a non stick pan, a sandwich press that gets pretty drat hot, a oven with gas elements, a lovely gas powered BBQ (and my gas is empty) and a charcoal BBQ.

I usually just fry them, but its just not the same.

You want the stainless steel or a cast iron pan for best burging. Non stick doesn't do well with getting heated up to the blisteringly hot temps you want for good crust formation. I like the charcoal grill for thick pub style burgers though.

If you're in love with the crust, let this be your guide: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

Preview image is all that's really needed imo: (Also warning this will end up with a shitload of smoke in your kitchen and everything smelling like burger. Which isn't the worst thing in the world)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

I have traveled the lands from California to Nebraska, and I have tasted the meats from In n' out to Runza, but I shall declare that Freddy's Steakburger is the fast food burger champ.

Something about their meat patties, with that griddle browning sets my heart aflame.

Go visit your local burger church.

drat, that's a nice lookin' burg. Also would on those cheese fries.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

This counts as a burg right? Would

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I see what you did there

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Palpek posted:

How burgers are still served in the first hamburger restaurant in the US and where allegedly the burg was invented - Louis' Lunch:

They serve it without any sauce as they believe it's a too intense taste that dominates the meat.

I ate there a few months ago. Not bad for what it is, but nothing to write home about. The meat quaility is pretty good and they get a nice char to it, but it just needs something more to it. It's worth the experience though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

canoshiz posted:

That's literally a key component of the dish. White sticky rice, hamburger patty, fried egg, brown gravy. Enjoy with macaroni salad and copious amounts of Tabasco. hell yeah

Teri (as in teriyaki glazed) burgers in Hawaii also own a lot. Any random little dingy plate lunch place will serve them and they are fantastic.

If you ever find yourself in Honolulu, go to W&m Burger in Kaimuki

Not huge burgers, but cooked well and good ingredients. They're the in-n-out of hawaii.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Palpek posted:

How burgers are still served in the first hamburger restaurant in the US and where allegedly the burg was invented - Louis' Lunch:

Been there, burged. Also had potato salad. Burgs were awesome. The whole place is really weird and there's this weird Venn diagram overlap where there's both lots of locals and lots of tourists, co-existing in peace :unsmith:

I was told about the place the night before by a guy who sat next to us at Frank Pepe's who sounded like he came straight outta Sopranos, New Haven is a good town. Best pizza, great burgers.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i just improvised

lamb, with gouda, pickled tomatoes, gherkins and a kalamata olive mayonaise

be gentle burg thread

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
whenever i read gherkin i automatically think merkin

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

i just improvised

be gentle burg thread

would x2

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

RideTheSpiral posted:

i just improvised

be gentle burg thread

delightful

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

i just improvised

be gentle burg thread

That sauce looks kinda nasty, but dat burger..

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

RideTheSpiral posted:

i just improvised

be gentle burg thread

This looks delicious, but where is the bun ?

I need a bun to burg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Lettuce not judge him for his lack of bun

• Locked thread