Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
ChangeFPS adds/drops frames in way that keeps the video length the same, FYI. It wouldn't have helped in your case. AssumeFPS might work if you can find the correct framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Well, it might have worked, depending on what his original problem is. I had been assuming that Premier was doing essentially an AssumeFPS to make the framerates match, I guess it wasn't. (It would make far more sense for it to default to doing effectively ChangeFPS.)

Now I'm guessing with a weird FPS like 28 FPS the real problem was "variable frame rate being treated as constant."

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
so um I have a bit of a problem on one of my lp vids

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is the problem people only watch one minute of your video on average?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
it's a 1:30 video, but thats not the problem

Putty fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 19, 2015

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Are you saying that it's because Reddit seems to like it and SomethingAwful doesn't give a poo poo?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If you stopped posting your videos in /r/letsplay you wouldn't have this problem.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

toddy. posted:

If you stopped posting your videos in /r/letsplay you wouldn't have this problem.

someone is blackmailing me with reddit

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So here is a video that OBS spits out for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcEKZiko_g

It's not too bad but it is a bit choppy. It might just be my computer being a big steaming pile of garbage but i'm curious if there is anything I can do to improve the quality.

The game runs at 60 fps but I can only record at 30 fps, if I try to record at 60 my computer starts to chug. The choppiness may be due to that and nothing more, I'm not sure.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does anyone know the max size of an image horizontally before it stretches the page?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
No.

Because it depends on how wide you've got your browser window set when viewing the forums (and how far zoomed in it is and various other things).

This is really a question for the moderators, and I don't think it's written down anywhere. I've been going with 800 wide as my max size but I think you can get away with 1024 wide. If you're going for something insanely wide, either use [timg] or ask a mod.

Edit: And these days it might not even matter. In the Bad Old Days, embedding a giant image would stretch out every post on the page. With the updated CSS that's been in place for some time now, all you'd do is stretch out your own post, and every other post on the page would be fine.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 20, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Edit: And these days it might not even matter. In the Bad Old Days, embedding a giant image would stretch out every post on the page. With the updated CSS that's been in place for some time now, all you'd do is stretch out your own post, and every other post on the page would be fine.

It's still an rear end to read, and especially terrible on mobile devices.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Is there a filter for Audacity that works like Truncate Silence, except you keep the duration intact?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey thread. It seems like I could use a bit of help since I'm apparently a dummy. So, I recently got a new and shiny system and set up all my stuff again. I normally edit in Vegas Pro 12, and then use the debugmode frameserver to render in MeGui. Trouble is, for some reason MeGui doesn't want to render. Like, I frameserve from vegas and select the signpost.avi as my input for MeGui, and everything looks fine. But when I click queue, nothing happens and previously MeGui just did its render job right away. The jobs show up in the job tab(with a muxing job for some reason), but it just doesn't start, even if I tell it to. There must be some setting somewhere that's wrong or something but gently caress if I know :(

E: So apparently I have to start the job through bringing up one of the workers and telling it to fuckin do it. Which is weird, because it just did it on its own on my old system as said before. The only thing I could think of is that there is some user profile messing with me, because I use an older version of MeGui that judge reinhold passed me a good while ago :shrug:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 20, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Is there a filter for Audacity that works like Truncate Silence, except you keep the duration intact?

You mean finds almost-silent sections and makes them completely silent?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

nielsm posted:

I don't know what he wants but is that something audacity can do? I'd do that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

nielsm posted:

Exactly that, yes. It'd make cleaning up commentary so much faster

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

Does anyone know the max size of an image horizontally before it stretches the page?

About 1000 px, but to make life easier on Baldurk you should try to have your images be 900px wide max because that's the max width on the LP archive :v:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Great Joe posted:

Exactly that, yes. It'd make cleaning up commentary so much faster

Try the noise gate plugin: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Effect_Plugins#Noise_Gate

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
That is something Audacity can do (without any plugins), although the process last I checked was kind of ... dumb.

First, select the track(s) you want to find silence in. Then go to Analyze, ignore Silence Finder..., and choose Sound Finder... instead. Run that and it will generate labels over areas that it detects as having sound. (Silence Finder simply marks single points that are near areas that are silent.)

Select both the tracks you want to silence areas in and the newly created label track. Then go to Edit, choose Labeled Audio, and Copy. Now create a new track, and paste the audio in there. If there was silence at the start, now slide the audio in the newly created track back up to match the labels (it'll snap to them).

This effectively removes all audio that was below a given threshold (sort of like the noise gate would do) and leaves the audio "split" which allows you to slide the individual bits of actual sound around which can be very useful if you're trying to "fix" multiple commentators on multiple tracks talking over each other.

I'd recommend keeping the original track in the project (just mute it) in case you find out that the sound detector missed a bit of audio at some point.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Thanks! This saved me a whole lot of pain! :)

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Any feasible way to remove controller noises during live commentary on sweat inducing competitive games(noise removal results in bad audio)? I heard people throw a towel over it but i kind of need the Wii U gamepad to see

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Turn mic gain down and get it closer to your face mouth?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have Sony Vegas 13 Pro, and when I'm rendering a 720p video, it comes out to about 1.89 gigs, does that sound right?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Turtlicious posted:

I have Sony Vegas 13 Pro, and when I'm rendering a 720p video, it comes out to about 1.89 gigs, does that sound right?
Eh, not to me personally, but really it all has to do with your bitrate and length of video that affects the overall file size. In the end, if the video looks good to you and you're cool with uploading 2 gig files then it's probably good to go?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If it's long enough, sure. I mean, heck, DVD movies are like 8GB on the disk, and they're only 480p...

(We need to know how long the video is to make a meaningful answer. I'd say that nearly 2GB for 720p sounds about right for an hour, I think?)

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Xenoveritas posted:

If it's long enough, sure. I mean, heck, DVD movies are like 8GB on the disk, and they're only 480p...

(We need to know how long the video is to make a meaningful answer. I'd say that nearly 2GB for 720p sounds about right for an hour, I think?)

Youtube recommends 5 Mbps for 720p, which translates to about 2.2 GB.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

ProfessorBooty posted:

Youtube recommends 5 Mbps for 720p, which translates to about 2.2 GB.
I usually do about over less than half that bitrate (around 2000) and it usually looks fine at 720p. It might be worth experimenting to see what looks best, it might help some people with limited bandwidth when they're uploading stuff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
About 30 minutes sorry, yeah I'll see if it looks good with a lower encode rate.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
16,000,000 is 16 megabits right?

If so, I found the problem.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have a high number of 30-50 second mp4 clips exported from my PS4 that I want to compile into one long highlight video, can anyone recommend a program? I tried using Free Video Joiner but the sound desyncs like 10 minutes in.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Turtlicious posted:

Do not render in Vegas. Like, I don't know if 13 improved over 12 which I use, but the render options are kinda garbage when it comes to quality vs size. Grab debugmode frameserver and just serve your video to MeGui for sexy and slim H264 renders

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tin Tim posted:

Do not render in Vegas. Like, I don't know if 13 improved over 12 which I use, but the render options are kinda garbage when it comes to quality vs size. Grab debugmode frameserver and just serve your video to MeGui for sexy and slim H264 renders

I think it did because the 5mbps rate looks just as crisp as the 16mbps (and is like 800megs)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Ausmund posted:

I have a high number of 30-50 second mp4 clips exported from my PS4 that I want to compile into one long highlight video, can anyone recommend a program? I tried using Free Video Joiner but the sound desyncs like 10 minutes in.
You could try YAMB? http://yamb.unite-video.com/index.html

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
I'd probably employ I think it's like dir /b in the command prompt to get a bare listing of all the files, and then a bunch of find/replaces or some regexes to make a huge batch command to have something like mp4box do it, or possibly ffmpeg. If YAMB (a gui for mp4box) can do that easily then that works. Be wary that 'joining mp4 files together' is likely a prime target for people making software utils that install malware etc, so installing random tools off of google results may eventually lead to sadness.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've a technical question about headsets: What would be better, a headset with USB-connection or one with a 3,5mm connection?

This question is rolling around in my head, since it's about time to replace my old one and I faintly remember some people complaining about some issue with USB-headsets. I can't remember though, and googling hasn't helped me yet.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Libluini posted:

I've a technical question about headsets: What would be better, a headset with USB-connection or one with a 3,5mm connection?

This question is rolling around in my head, since it's about time to replace my old one and I faintly remember some people complaining about some issue with USB-headsets. I can't remember though, and googling hasn't helped me yet.

This entirely depends on if your computer is grounded properly and how good your soundcard is so nobody's gonna be able to give you a definitive answer. I've used both and they both work totally fine for me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mico posted:

This entirely depends on if your computer is grounded properly and how good your soundcard is so nobody's gonna be able to give you a definitive answer. I've used both and they both work totally fine for me.

Huh, that complicated? Well, since my computer is grounded very poorly, I'll suppose I go with USB. Let's me use that fucker on my PS3 as a bonus.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I wonder if you guys can help. I've been using Zarx264GUI to encode my videos to h264 after editing in Premiere and exporting to uncompressed avi. I tried using Handbrake since a lot of folks recommended it, but I get worse video quality even with bigger bitrates. It's hard to explain, but the colours seem to be more vivid, but everything's sort of... jagged, I guess? If I pause the video it's even more evident. I'm probably missing something somewhere, but it would take forever to try every single combination of all the switches in Handbrake, so do you guys have any ideas?

I started using the normal Handbrake settings, but switched to 2-pass 2000kbps bitrate, since that's what I used in Zarx as well. I use the very slow preset and Level 4.1. My videos are 1920x1080 @ 30fps. I tried taking the bitrate up to 2200 but it didn't do much more than increase the filesize.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I just had some setting screwed up, because now it looks ok.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In DB, what is the typical "loudness" for both gameplay and commentary?

Is it better to record quiet and then up the volume using software?