Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

this is the only game i've played all year that has shown a rabbit humping another rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sekenr posted:

In other news a certain quest invoving dungeon crawling together with a "witch" was absolutely incredible

Quoting this post from a bunch of pages back because I'm at this quest now.

From what I'm reading this is a pretty extensive quest with a boss or two, and I realize that I'm still at level 3, with only maybe one or two health items in my inventory. Am I going to be completely hosed for this quest, because it seems like I'm going to be stuck in it for a while with no way to back out. In general I feel like I've missed a bunch of stuff in even getting to this point so I'm considering a restart anyway.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, I was running Witcher 3 through Steam (non-Steam version) no problem on day one and had the overlay working just fine, but since then it hasn't worked. I can still launch it through Steam but the overlay is no longer useable. Anyone have an idea what might have changed?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I've never played more than thirty minutes of a Witcher game before-- is there any reason not to steal anything not nailed down in these villager's houses? I assume they'll aggro if they see me, but I'm not building some hidden "rear end in a top hat" meter somewhere, am I?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Soul Glo posted:

I've never played more than thirty minutes of a Witcher game before-- is there any reason not to steal anything not nailed down in these villager's houses? I assume they'll aggro if they see me, but I'm not building some hidden "rear end in a top hat" meter somewhere, am I?

The only people who care if you steal are guards and they only care sometimes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The hair physics are so good they are entering uncanny valley territory and throwing me off

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey that talent that makes your oiled weapons apply poison as well, is that for anyone you hit or only things that would be under the oil's effect?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Quoting this post from a bunch of pages back because I'm at this quest now.

From what I'm reading this is a pretty extensive quest with a boss or two, and I realize that I'm still at level 3, with only maybe one or two health items in my inventory. Am I going to be completely hosed for this quest, because it seems like I'm going to be stuck in it for a while with no way to back out. In general I feel like I've missed a bunch of stuff in even getting to this point so I'm considering a restart anyway.

It was definitely the longest dungeon I had done in the game up to that point by a large margin (and awesome). You probably do want some healing items. Make sure you have the swallow potion if you haven't made it yet. You'll also use the silver sword pretty much exclusively and mine was almost broken by the end, so make sure you go in with it reasonably repaired.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For you guys on ps4 that are having a hard time with small text, I came across this
"After struggling to read the tiny text in my inventory and other areas, I discovered that the PS4 now has a zoom function. You can enable it under Settings and Accessibility. Once you do, you can click the PS4 button and the square and the screen zooms in. You can't make any choices while zoomed, but you can scroll around and read stuff."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

It was definitely the longest dungeon I had done in the game up to that point by a large margin (and awesome). You probably do want some healing items. Make sure you have the swallow potion if you haven't made it yet. You'll also use the silver sword pretty much exclusively and mine was almost broken by the end, so make sure you go in with it reasonably repaired.

Yea see I think the best thing for me to do at this point is start over. I beelined through the main quest to this point, and I'm very underprepared. I haven't made any potions yet at all, and I only did one sidequest in the tutorial area. I also have no idea where to go to repair my weapon, I really haven't been paying enough attention to my surroundings.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Please tell me the game shows the formulas and diagrams you already know when buying stuff in a shop.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Don't steal from army camps. Peasant homes are fair game apparently. And sometimes they hold high level crafting stuff. You should feel bad about taking that emerald from the peasants just ravaged by a passing army.

Though this game feels like it goes out of it's way to make sure there are no happy endings sometimes. Someone/a bunch of quest designers need to like, take a chill pill man. Maybe get some therapy so they realized things CAN end happily. Though I've only really scratched the surface in terms of quests since I've been slowly filling out looting question marks on the maps.

What? I just caused another problem to spring up cause I solved your other problem? Well, let me fix that too. Oh, I did something you didn't want because you could't speak up in the first place? How's that MY fault? Geralt may be a genetically modified, superior evolution of a human, but he still has feelings you jerks.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Can you guys please use spoiler tags for cool treasure locations? I'm loving exploring and finding cool things on my own and I've now inadvertently spoiled some cool gear locations.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
So is the companion map app any good before I go and spend :4bux: ?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

:siren:You still have access to the alternate versions of Signs even if you don't have the skill equipped, provided you put a skill point in them to unlock them!:siren:

Considering being a Witcher is all about having all the options available, I see no reason why everyone wouldn't put at least 13 points into the Signs tree now, to unlock all the alternate Signs.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Neat, so what's the purpose of equipping those tiles at all?

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Let's talk about Gwent.

The spies look great. They come on to the field on your opponents side, but you get to draw 2 cards when you play it, card advantage. My opponent played one on me, added a 1 power guy on my side for 2 cards, that's pretty good value.

But I got another card- Decoy, and this is amazing. When things look bad like they just dropped a power doubling card and suddenly their swordsman row alone is pushing 56, I can decoy in a guy for the next round. When my opponent dropped a spy on my side, I could decoy the spy and it gets put into my hand.

I wonder if you can decoy a decoy repeatedly to "pass" a turn without actually passing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, it's a shame the nightwraith decoction is useless. :stare:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, I'm an idiot. Realized today that your you can gallop on the road and not only will your horse still automatically stick to the trail, but that it doesn't even lose stamina when you do this. That's just what happens when you skim tutorial prompts I guess. Went through all of White Orchard and Keira's entire quest line before I noticed.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ Well poo poo, I didn't know that either.

Have to say I played many hours of this game last night and I only barely made level 4. I am enjoying it immensely.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Who Dat posted:

So is the companion map app any good before I go and spend :4bux: ?

the what now?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Solartide posted:

I wonder if you can decoy a decoy repeatedly to "pass" a turn without actually passing.
Oh god I have to try this now. That would be so :flashfap:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Spikeguy posted:

As a person who cracked out on Witcher 1 back in the day, I can't tell you how psyched I was when I found the monocle in the first area when investigating that spy mission. I know what's coming...

Me too, I can't wait! :dance:

So I've only been in Velen for a few hours but something that strikes and really impresses me about the open world is how well the game handles experience and loot/gold distribution. I always feel poor and only infrequently find new significant upgrades for gear which I really appreciate as it makes every small little job or witcher contract feel more significant as I really am doing it as my livelihood. My biggest windfall so far was a measly 200 crowns in the Burial Rights (?) quest when I killed the fisstech dealing priest. Another thing which I thought was very impressive is the quest structure and how you can easily do things in various orders without screwing anything up in terms of experience though I did lock myself out of a quest because of how another ended which was cool.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
My only real complaint is you can only sell items to appropriate vendors.

Common alchemist, you know you want 20 rusted swords.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
I hope one of the 12 free DLCs is Dice Poker :saddowns:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So this game somehow stopped workkng entirely. This is on XBONE.

I died underwater somehow. Not even sure how, didn't drown and there were enemies but not close. Do drowners have projectiles underwater or something? Anyway.

The "you died" screen had a loading symbol pasted on it, even before I chose something. Picking "load latest save " did nothing. Choosing "load save" let me choose a save file, but again, trying to load it did nothing. After 15 minutes i gave up and force closed the game. When I started it again, the title screen hangs at "Please wait..." forever now. Even after a console reset and a reinstall.

What the gently caress.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Bort Bortles posted:

Oh god I have to try this now. That would be so :flashfap:

Right, if you can, my plan is to have tons of decoys in my deck, repeatedly decoy/decoy until my opponent passes, then I can determine how much I want to invest into that round. If my opponent plays out his hand, I'll just surrender that round and take the next two.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Broose posted:

What? I just caused another problem to spring up cause I solved your other problem? Well, let me fix that too. Oh, I did something you didn't want because you could't speak up in the first place? How's that MY fault? Geralt may be a genetically modified, superior evolution of a human, but he still has feelings you jerks.

It does bug me that Geralt gets consulted on so much stuff and you have to make a decision. It's like, gently caress, I just got hired to find this guy don't you go demanding I decide his fate as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broose posted:

Don't steal from army camps. Peasant homes are fair game apparently. And sometimes they hold high level crafting stuff. You should feel bad about taking that emerald from the peasants just ravaged by a passing army.

Though this game feels like it goes out of it's way to make sure there are no happy endings sometimes. Someone/a bunch of quest designers need to like, take a chill pill man. Maybe get some therapy so they realized things CAN end happily. Though I've only really scratched the surface in terms of quests since I've been slowly filling out looting question marks on the maps.

Geralt has the unhappy position of being a cultural relic who works almost exclusively for the very poor or the very rich. This means two things - first, while he can slay monsters like no one's business he's just one man unable to create positive change in most circumstances, and second, every loving client he takes is scamming him on some level.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2015

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Gestalt isn't exactly good at his assigned task. Yen offers to teleport him to Valen but Geralt would rather spend a few days traveling by horse. He arrives less than a day after Hendrick (?)was killed by the hunt.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Torpor posted:

Gestalt isn't exactly good at his assigned task. Yen offers to teleport him to Valen but Geralt would rather spend a few days traveling by horse. He arrives less than a day after Hendrick (?)was killed by the hunt.

I would say he is accidentally great at his job then since he is running from the Hunt and probably wouldn't want to be there when they show up

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Torpor posted:

Yen offers to teleport him to Valen but Geralt would rather spend a few days traveling by horse. He arrives less than a day after Hendrick (?)was killed by the hunt.

Ever play Riviera the Promised Land? There was a global timer, so if you meditated for 3 days instead of 1 in the starting area, some characters may have died off by the time you reach that point in the game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Solartide posted:

Right, if you can, my plan is to have tons of decoys in my deck, repeatedly decoy/decoy until my opponent passes, then I can determine how much I want to invest into that round. If my opponent plays out his hand, I'll just surrender that round and take the next two.

It seems like a good strat, though beware there are cards that can destroy your minions, which might throw you off.

Oxxidation posted:

Geralt has the unhappy position of being a cultural relic who works almost exclusively for the very poor or the very rich. This means two things - first, while he can slay monsters like no one's business he's just one man unable to create positive change in most circumstances, and two, every loving client of his is scamming him on some level.

What I think is cool about the constant terrible decisions is they make you feel like you're just a little part of a big world. Geralt's not the chosen one, he's just one guy, and a pretty limited guy at that. The no-win decisions make it feel like the universe doesn't revolve around his existence in the way it does in almost any comparable RPG.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 20, 2015

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

NeurosisHead posted:

the what now?

Oh Prima released an interactive map app for iOS and Android (tablets only I think) It looks nice as you can track and check off completion of objectives and such, get info on areas etc. don't think it has a bestiary though, which would be infinitely more helpful.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah that is why I like Geralt better than whatever generic bioware heroes you can make. The latter gives you the protagonist sign and everyone lines up behind you because you are basically Jesus. Geralt is just some guy that has the misfortune of being really good at his job and it constantly gets him in trouble

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

black.lion posted:

Neat, so what's the purpose of equipping those tiles at all?

Seconding this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'd just like to say that I haven't purchased the game yet and was very on the fence about it, actually leaning towards a "no" because of the reported wonky character movement and narrow, nonadjustable FoV... HOWEVER, now that I've heard there will be a mod kit developed and released for the game I can use to possibly fix these issues (or apply the fixes other people develop), I'm buying the game right after I post this.

Thanks that is all. I hope you've read and enjoyed my post, especially if you are a game developer who doesn't quite understand the value of mod tools.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 20, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to disable the paragraphs of text beneath the minimap telling you how to do your quest?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2015

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

GreatGreen posted:

I'd just like to say that I haven't purchased the game yet and was very on the fence about it

Buy it for Gwent alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Infinity Gaia posted:

:siren:You still have access to the alternate versions of Signs even if you don't have the skill equipped, provided you put a skill point in them to unlock them!:siren:

Considering being a Witcher is all about having all the options available, I see no reason why everyone wouldn't put at least 13 points into the Signs tree now, to unlock all the alternate Signs.

Okay, addendum: Weirdly enough it seems like only Igni, Aard and Yrden have this trait. Axii and Quen don't. So I guess just put points into those three instead.