Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

Arizona is like ksport central. I went to a nasaaz track day at chuckwalla to help set up a time attack car and it made me sad to see how much ksport stuff was out there. Thankfully the one i was with got new suspension recently, and to be fair, the ksport brakes on that car are working fine.

Also I took a ride with some kid and the car was bouncing all over the place and that is a smooooth track. Ask "so, uh, what suspension is on here?" And it was ksports of course.

I thought KSport was based here for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Poor people in the north. Not a spot of rust on my 03 down south.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

Good! Any vids?
Are those 19s thought?!
Is he over the midlands way near you? Be interested to get his thoughts!

He's friends with a bunch of my mates but I've never met the guy. I asked him if it was cool to give you his details so you can quiz him about his car and he said it was so here:

https://www.facebook.com/james.lupix.lu?fref=ufi

Ask away fella. I'm assuming he's round Birmingham way due to which friends we have in common.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Pierced Bronson posted:

Confirmed. On my bud's old 240SX we installed stock 300zx 4-pot brakes up front without changing out the master cylinder and the pedal feel was touchy. It worked but was hard to modulate, and also the proportioning bias became incorrect.

Re: trialloy coating - not to talk poo poo about ksport but i have a feeling it's there to look "baller" or whatever, because most manufacturers just spray on a waxy coating to resist corrosion on the shelf.

The coating is zinc plating probably with hex yellow chromate and it's so the rotors don't rust to the car or wheel after installation with a bonus of looking nice on the shelf. It's a big deal with most OEs now and there's a lot of work on spray/dip coatings and nitro-carburizing to replace the plating but it's hard to make cost-effective since plating is so cheap and heat tolerant . Brake component corrosion in general is getting a lot of attention because of how open wheel designs are on modern cars.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

He's friends with a bunch of my mates but I've never met the guy. I asked him if it was cool to give you his details so you can quiz him about his car and he said it was so here:

https://www.facebook.com

Ask away fella. I'm assuming he's round Birmingham way due to which friends we have in common.

10 friends in common. Small rear end world!

Jymmybob posted:

The coating is zinc plating probably with hex yellow chromate and it's so the rotors don't rust to the car or wheel after installation with a bonus of looking nice on the shelf. It's a big deal with most OEs now and there's a lot of work on spray/dip coatings and nitro-carburizing to replace the plating but it's hard to make cost-effective since plating is so cheap and heat tolerant . Brake component corrosion in general is getting a lot of attention because of how open wheel designs are on modern cars.

Neat cheers for the info! Does that mean they'll stay looking like that then or is it just on the surface? I assumed it would burn off!

track day bro! posted:

It's not like a car can look presentable but have completely rotten sills or anything. Ask me how I know :gonk:

How do u know op????????

Just realised the rear brake lines require removal of exhaust and fuel tank. REALLY FRIGGIN COOL.

DOES ANYONE sorry caps does anyone know the bed in process for rs29s? All I can find online is people guessing. Or maybe modern rear end ceramic pads don't really need it?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

BlackMK4 posted:

I used to work with the owners lady, pretty sure they are based in AZ.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Clean the rotors before you install them to get whatever is on there for shipping/storage/whatever.

Here's some stuff about pad bed in:
http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/bed-in-faq
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/brake-pad-bed-in

And I'm pretty sure you'd only have to take that stuff off to change the hard lines running through the chassis.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah it is, or their us branch/importer is anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 20, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

track day bro! posted:

It's not like a car can look presentable but have completely rotten sills or anything. Ask me how I know :gonk:

This is my mate's 200SX all over. Looks fine, but rot everywhere. :stare:

It was so bad, he bought an entire shell and swapped everything over. It's a P-reg that's lived in the South.

Bape Culture posted:

Aww, car friends!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Neat cheers for the info! Does that mean they'll stay looking like that then or is it just on the surface? I assumed it would burn off!

Covered areas will stay somewhere between that and powdery white, uncovered will likely go white or rust, and where the pad goes will scrape clean really quickly. It's like 10 microns of soft plating, max.

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015

Bape Culture posted:

No. If someone 3 scanned some TEs and then forged them in the same way, from the same material, I'd happily run them.

If that were the case, they wouldn't be so cheap, would they? Sure the brand name is a part of the price, but so is the manufacture process. Ultimately cheap is not made well in any instance.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

DOES ANYONE sorry caps does anyone know the bed in process for rs29s? All I can find online is people guessing. Or maybe modern rear end ceramic pads don't really need it?

It is indeed a small world.

As for your rotors the surface will burn off, I installed a set of Spoon brakes to a friend of mine's S2000 with new rotors and they were nice and gold until we got to breaking them in. Speaking of which the calipers looked to be a very similar design to yours but then there's not really much differentiation in the design of 4 pot calipers.

Bedding in was a case of driving to a nice straight, quiet road without braking as much as possible (because the newly installed brakes were garbage) and once there, hitting 60mph and braking heavily down to 10mph a good 10 times then from 80mph to 10mph a few times. You're basically shredding off the surface on the rotor and burning off any residue on the pads. At first you'll barely stop but with each stop you'll feel the brakes get grabbier until they're trying to throw your head through the windscreen. The top surface of the rotor will have been stripped away and the pads will loving stink, you'll smell it in the car.

After that, go cruising to let the brakes cool down.

Enjoy your new stoppers.

SniperFox posted:

If that were the case, they wouldn't be so cheap, would they? Sure the brand name is a part of the price, but so is the manufacture process. Ultimately cheap is not made well in any instance.

This all depends on just how huge the mark up on the branded product is really, doesn't it? Like Beats headphones costing about $20 to manufacture and then being sold for $200... You can buy copies made in the same factory without the branding for $40.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 20, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

This all depends on just how huge the mark up on the branded product is really, doesn't it? Like Beats headphones costing about $20 to manufacture and then being sold for $200... You can buy copies made in the same factory without the branding for $40.

Yeah, but APs aren't made by children in Chinese factories being paid 50p a day.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you're ripping something off there's no r&d which are probably the most significant costs in most automotive stuff. Not that I expect these to be AS good, but I saved around £2k which atm I think could be better spent elsewhere! I'd prefer it to not turn into a thread about just my brakes though. At least let me get them on and give them a go :)

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015

Bape Culture posted:

If you're ripping something off there's no r&d which are probably the most significant costs in most automotive stuff. Not that I expect these to be AS good, but I saved around £2k which atm I think could be better spent elsewhere! I'd prefer it to not turn into a thread about just my brakes though. At least let me get them on and give them a go :)

Yeah I didn't mean to poo poo on your thread if that's what came across.

Interested to see how they hold up though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

How do u know op????????

Just realised the rear brake lines require removal of exhaust and fuel tank. REALLY FRIGGIN COOL.

My old car started to rot from the inner part of the sills, visualy it looked fine but there would be a brownish deposit over the rear wheel every time it rained. Then I realised I was able to bust through the inner part of the sill with a screwdriver. S-Bodies are even worse for this apparently, which is why I will probably never own one lol.

I realy wish the uk would stop salting the roads and introduce winter tyre laws instead, but everyone would qq about having to buy another set of tyres. Not like most of europe has to do that anyway.

Bedding in the carbotechs was something like do a few 30 to 5 mph stops, then if everythings ok do several 70 to 5mph stops to get some heat cycles into the pads making sure not to come to a complete halt. Something like that anyway.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bape Culture posted:

From memory (and many E36s) you can drop the tank a bit without actually removing it completely and remove the exhaust, then pull the complete brake line out in one piece (unscrewing it from the union just in front the fuel tank.) then make a replacement on the bench and fit that complete.

I have done E46s, but can't remember if it's the same as E36s off-hand. Looks worse than it is.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
Bed-in procedure isn't really brand critical. There are some variations but the previously mentioned instructions will do fine. The idea is simply to gradually get the pads to transfer some of their material to the rotor surface without overheating things to the point of glazing and not being able to stop at all.

As I understand it, you can come to a complete stop if you have to, just don't stand on the brakes while sitting or that spot on the rotor will have some of the pad material cooked into it which can cause a high spot and make them feel "warped."

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 20, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Bape Culture posted:

repeated heavy stops (below abs threshold) from 70mph to 30. Stay in the left hand lane of the motorway with the hazards flashing and hope the cops don't stop you and ask what the gently caress you are doing

that's how we bed the carbon brakes on the aston martins :mrgw:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I have a diesel touring, so YMMV but pretty sure I did my e46 rear drivers side brake line without dropping anything. It was a PITA (we made our own lines) and I don't think we used exactly the right routing / mounts, but it's been fine for two years and two MOTs.

Swedish Butt-Whistle
Feb 12, 2004

Mentally Trill

Sadi posted:

Poor people in the north. Not a spot of rust on my 03 down south.

Hey there, if you ever get free time, i'm pretty flexible, would you be keen on helping me do a valve job and vanos lookover? NC here though.

Edit: hopeful 03 m3 southern comforters itt

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Swedish Butt-Whistle posted:

Hey there, if you ever get free time, i'm pretty flexible, would you be keen on helping me do a valve job and vanos lookover? NC here though.

Edit: hopeful 03 m3 southern comforters itt

I dont mind lending a hand. Its a pretty easy job really. Where abouts the frozen northern tundra of NC are you?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

I realy wish the uk would stop salting the roads and introduce winter tyre laws instead, but everyone would qq about having to buy another set of tyres. Not like most of europe has to do that anyway.

Over in the Nordics we salt our roads AND have winter tyre laws. Rust, rust never changes.

Swedish Butt-Whistle
Feb 12, 2004

Mentally Trill

Sadi posted:

I dont mind lending a hand. Its a pretty easy job really. Where abouts the frozen northern tundra of NC are you?

I'm somewhere in a patch of trees triangulated between charlotte - boone and asheville. It's about 45 minutes from either one of those towns. The Vanos seems to be possibly a bit more severe than I first anticipated upon more observation. It has a pretty significant power increase at 3000 rpm. I dismissed the intermittent idle hiccuping for various other possible things but i've noticed it more pronounced with the AC on as well. The combination of these seem to point more torward a vanos problem would you agree?

I haven't checked the solenoid yet.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Swedish Butt-Whistle posted:

I'm somewhere in a patch of trees triangulated between charlotte - boone and asheville. It's about 45 minutes from either one of those towns. The Vanos seems to be possibly a bit more severe than I first anticipated upon more observation. It has a pretty significant power increase at 3000 rpm. I dismissed the intermittent idle hiccuping for various other possible things but i've noticed it more pronounced with the AC on as well. The combination of these seem to point more torward a vanos problem would you agree?

I haven't checked the solenoid yet.

I've have yet to have vanos issues yet, knock on wood. So I can't say for certain but what you say sounds like what I've read. The only inspection I've done on mine is looking at the tabs when I did the valve adjustment. I'm not sure if I'm doing vanos bullet proofing first or replying rod bearings to be safe.

Swedish Butt-Whistle
Feb 12, 2004

Mentally Trill

Sadi posted:

I've have yet to have vanos issues yet, knock on wood. So I can't say for certain but what you say sounds like what I've read. The only inspection I've done on mine is looking at the tabs when I did the valve adjustment. I'm not sure if I'm doing vanos bullet proofing first or replying rod bearings to be safe.

Email : Justinroloe at Gmail

I may be planning some erratic spontaneous charleston trip in the near future.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I've booked my car into JS racing for the first week of August which is very exciting.
I've also now got a M13 sump plug cause I stripped the stupid ally sump >:[
I was very mad.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I went to see some friends.

Now I am saving for some intrax 4 ways with their arc setup and a full weld in cage. Suspension is absolutely phenomenal but £££££.

One of he guys is also running a cae shifter which I absolutely love. Need to think long and hard about a v8 before I buy one though.

I'm going to run the same aero as both of these guys for now. Flossman front with Geoff steel wing that mounts through the boot and into the chassis. Cost effective and remarkably good considering the ease. Means I need to sell the oem csl boot however as refuse to cut it up. Will pick up a carbon rep and go to town.

Here's the front.

Spoke with Geoff Steel again and ordered some new arbs as well as changed my powerflex order to black.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Does the CSL lid not work with the spoiler then or is it purely because you have to do some modification?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I can't bring myself to cut up the oem one when if I sell it it'll probably pay for 90% of the wing and carbon boot

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

I went to see some friends.

Your friends do bad things to good cars.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm a little bummed that you don't think that motor is enough for the car. I've never driven an M3 but I rode in a buddies mid-90s and it seemed plenty fast to kill yourself. What v8 would you put in?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Your friends do bad things to good cars.

Lol what's bad about full on circuit cars!

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm a little bummed that you don't think that motor is enough for the car. I've never driven an M3 but I rode in a buddies mid-90s and it seemed plenty fast to kill yourself. What v8 would you put in?

It's fast enough to kill myself but it's not faster and lairier than 458s and stuff yet! I want a shonky rear end race car that will kick the teeth out of anything on the road that's not a million pounds.

A ls7 or a modified 3 I suppose. 500hp/ton please.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Cool stuff. You seem to be the only poster on this subforum with the ambition to build an actual race car! You look like you know what your doing, Keep up the good work Bape Culture! :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

corn in the fridge posted:

Cool stuff. You seem to be the only poster on this subforum with the ambition to build an actual race car!

You are loving delusional.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

You are loving delusional.

It's probably a joke that all the racecar projects have been not really getting anywhere. Though all I can think of is holdbrooks' exocet and the crazy engineer guy's (also exocet?)

Slowisfast may have the only finished one that I can think of.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So my question is why would you go to all this trouble modifying an M3? Don't get me wrong, they're great cars but I'll bet if you totalled your cost of what you've spent so far (and what you're planning on spending) you'll could have bought a 911 Turbo or some such thing and be at least in the ballpark of what you'd end up with in the M3.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrChips posted:

So my question is why would you go to all this trouble modifying an M3? Don't get me wrong, they're great cars but I'll bet if you totalled your cost of what you've spent so far (and what you're planning on spending) you'll could have bought a 911 Turbo or some such thing and be at least in the ballpark of what you'd end up with in the M3.

That argument goes for anyone modding a car :v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MrChips posted:

it's fun as heck

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's a pretty decent platform to start with. For one it doesn't have a completely hosed weight distribution (not that a 911 can't go really fast regardless).

I'd suggest doing a lot of track days and maybe getting something cheap to take to the ring a whole bunch so you don't spend years and tens of thousands building this thing and then total it the first time you go out trying to set a lap record or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
shhhhh jamal, he said he'd GoPro it

• Locked thread