Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I'd like some thoughts on some 1500 point lists I've been mulling over.

My initial list had been.
HQ
Tigurius - 165
Elite
5x Assault Terminators w/ 3 Hammers 2 Claws - 215
Troops
10x Tacticals w/ Plasma, Combi, Rhino - 200
Fast Attack
Storm Talon w/ Skyhammers - 125
Land Speeder w/ Typhoon Missile Launcher - 75
Heavy Support
Land Raider Redeemer w/ Multi-Melta - 250
Whirlwind - 65

Strategy is pretty clear here, Tigurius with Prescience while trying for Endurance or Invisibility to make the Assault Terminators the spear head for advance. Meanwhile, the Speeder and Gunship can harry the enemy or secure rear line objectives. I've played a couple games against less than steller lists, and my strategy worked out pretty well, even when things went bad and a Stormraven toasted my Land Raider.

That being said here are some other lists I have been playing with, and would like to know your thoughts.

A)
HQ
Lord Maccrage - 275
8x Honor Guard w/ Chapter Banner and Rhino - 270
Troops
10x Tacticals w/ Plasma, Rhino - 190
Fast Attack
Heavy Support
Devastator Centurions w/ Gravs - 260

Less versatility than the first list, but two real threats in the form of Calgar, or the Devastators. Additionally, artificer armor lets me stick them in a Rhino as opposed to a Raider. If I had a Stormraven I'd consider brining it. That being said I am really considering bringing them with a Drop Pod. The idea being if I deepstrike such a unit into cover at my enemy's rear they are in really dire straits. I assume all their firepower will go towards them, but that should allow the rest of my army to go unmolested, and unless my enemy is bringing a Vindicator to the battle Calgar should be able to tank a fair amount.

B)
HQ
Chapter Master w/ Artificer Armor and Burning Blade - 205
8x Honor Guard w/ Chapter Banner and Pod - 270
Elites
Dreadnaught w/ Missile Launcher, Lascannon, Pod - 170
Troops
10x Tacticals w/ Plasma, Combi, Pod - 200
10x Tacticals w/ Plasma, Combi, Pod - 200
Fast Attack
10x Assault Marines w/ 2x Plasma Pistols and Powerfist - 230
Heavy Support
Devastator Marines w/ 4 Lascannons, Pod - 241

Basically, I am unsure if I can make a decent drop pod list with just 5 pods(all I own atm). In the case of the second list the idea would be for the Devastator and Dread pods to come in empty. Personally, I don't like the idea of relying on reserve rolls when I am putting half my force directly into the enemy crosshairs. That being said I am open any sort of changes between any of these lists, and realize there is quite a bit of room to scramble stuff around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Also, how do the Assassins work into the force Org chart? Do I lose Objective Secured by bringing one?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Uroboros posted:

Also, how do the Assassins work into the force Org chart? Do I lose Objective Secured by bringing one?

No, its a seperate detachment.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
As long as it's Alpha Legion time, here's the first five of my long rifle squad. Mold lines, gap filling, yadda yadda.

I'm not sure what they're going to function as. When I first had the idea, I figured they would make good volkite troops, but they look so badass I feel like they could count as whatever I want from game-to-game, like Seekers or Mor Deythan or whatever. I'd use them as Headhunters but those rifles don't look like they'd only shoot 18".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BirdieBedtime posted:

As long as it's Alpha Legion time, here's the first five of my long rifle squad. Mold lines, gap filling, yadda yadda.

I'm not sure what they're going to function as. When I first had the idea, I figured they would make good volkite troops, but they look so badass I feel like they could count as whatever I want from game-to-game, like Seekers or Mor Deythan or whatever. I'd use them as Headhunters but those rifles don't look like they'd only shoot 18".

Good look so far....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BirdieBedtime posted:

Those rule

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Does alpha legion traditionally use beak helmets? Those aRe mk6 right?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
If they don't use beak helmets, they should.

Beak helmet supremacy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

People are claiming it reads all models can upgrade for free (including the relics) so pay for bodies, stay for free plasma.
I'm hoping that's people just being bad because that seems too good considering how expensive some of those upgrades are.

It says "all options accessible to the units of the formation (including relics and stuff) are free", so... I guess you could spin it into buying more manz for free.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rulebook Heavily posted:

If Gorkamorka had a good living ruleset I'd be playing it right now. I might have missed one if it exists.

It does not. There is an FAQ project run by the guy who manages tUGS that answers a lot of questions.

I have been considering a GorkaMorka Community Edition project, and have started making a list of issues/discrepancies where GoMo and the Necromunda CE differ - not that I think they should be identical necessarily but that issues which NCE has dealt with could be translated to GoMo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

I'd be down for a meet sometime, just choose a date and let's make it happen! I'm quite busy in July but August clears up a bit.

Deanut Pancer posted:

You could try using the Mario Kart rules? (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rubberbanding&defid=3177783 for non patent-legalese version)

Alternatively, when the next section of new table is 'generated' ahead of the leader, the loser gets to place any terrain obstacles that fall off the back of the old deleted table section. Ideally he'll place them in line with the leader, forcing him to slow/turn. Bonus points if any vehicles that 'die' due to going off the back can be replaced in the new section as wrecks. So as the game goes on, you'd end up accumulating more and more wreckage that you have to steer around.
This is awesome! Like I said I've never seen GorkaMorka played but from what I've read here this seems to be how it was. I like how wrecked vehicles can reappear, but I'd do it on a 50/50 roll maybe to see if a vehicle ends up in the path of the vehicles still going. I'd like to see if The Chirugeon's rules (which are even more awesome) work with this, I think they will.

BirdieBedtime posted:

These guys look great. What are those guns?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

krushgroove posted:

These guys look great. What are those guns?

Looks like probably the Skittari guns?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Not to sound like to much of a broken record, but if I could get some strategy advice on the lists I posted near the top Id be grateful.

Also, what are the chances of those Ultramarine Command vehicles ever being a normal release? I have a chance to buy them and getting gouged and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
RIght now the box set is a WHW exclusive, but it wouldn't totally surprise me if you could buy just the upgrade sprue on GW's website sometime in the future, while keeping the slightly discounted box set at WHW.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Uroboros posted:

Not to sound like to much of a broken record, but if I could get some strategy advice on the lists I posted near the top Id be grateful.

Also, what are the chances of those Ultramarine Command vehicles ever being a normal release? I have a chance to buy them and getting gouged and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Don't. Goons go to warhammer world often enough that someone will do you a favour.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

What is the box set going for at WHW?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
£75 for box tanks and rules (the new instruction manuals are amazing btw - full color and CAD images throughout)
£12 for the Blood Oath campaign book

I will definitely be heading to WHW someone soon, within the next month or so, and I'd be willing to pick up sets for any goons that want them. No profit or anything. Just pay for the postage (to anywhere) and you too can have a crazy powerful combination of models.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Out of the two lists I like the first better, though I do like your idea of using a Drop Pod to force your opponent into a tricky targeting position. It's also important because otherwise your opponent will just break their Rhino and buy themselves 2-3 turns as Marneus et al. have to hoof it across the table while taking fire. I am a little leery of taking Centurions outside of a transport but it does depend on who you're going up against. At that point level, especially with bringing Calgar, you don't really have another choice. You could also opt to go with a Command Squad instead, to grant FNP to the unit and deliver some anti-tank/MC punch when they dump out of the Drop Pod. Honor Guard are solid close combat models, but have very little ranged damage. If you are forced to drop behind a line of tanks you could really only achieve a couple Glances, versus perhaps outright destroying a model with Plasma/Melta.

I don't know if you have access to them, but if you can find 5pts somewhere the 260pts for Centurions could buy you two Thunderfire Cannons and a Whirlwind. Better range and more versatility, though not as great a punch (if it survives to fire).

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Doctor Borris posted:

Does alpha legion traditionally use beak helmets? Those aRe mk6 right?

Yeah, the Alphas came into some mk6 suits that fell off the back of a truck on the way to the Raven Guard and set up full production, they showed up on Isstvan V with shitloads of it. They still used plenty of the older marks, though; Exodus in particular has a mk4 helm.

Krushgroove, those are indeed the Skitarii ranger rifles. Like I said in the modeling thread, the right hands fit on space marine arms pretty well, but the left arms need some trimming/pinning to match up with the other hand.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
German White Dwarf leaks confirm the french ones on the AdMech formation. Free options and free relics on the whole formation, and no gets hot rules for anyone.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Buncha pictures of the new Admech stuff from German WD:

More pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/sUZF5

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SRM posted:

More pictures here:

Not my bag, but has convinced me to paint my Redemptionists Gang in Ivory and burgundy.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

SRM posted:

More pictures here:

18 for a t3 i3 dude with just a 5++? Seems a little spendy.

But the dominus gets a volkite gun? Sign me up.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 20, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What the hell...is that flesh, in a adeptus mechanicum army???

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Can't tattoo metal!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

This guy is so awesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Maaaan these guys make me realise how much aesthetic similarity there is between the Mechanicus and certain aspects of the Dark Eldar...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ineptmule posted:

This guy is so awesome.

Yeah this is the coolest looking one so far. There have been other models I've thought look neat but this one is the nicest. I might be one of those 'collector' people an pick up one of these just for painting.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Yeah this is the coolest looking one so far. There have been other models I've thought look neat but this one is the nicest. I might be one of those 'collector' people an pick up one of these just for painting.

I may be the in same boat. I've got an Only War/Dark Heresy RP group that includes a techpriest/demi-magos and the idea of grabbing a few awesome one-off miniatures to use for that game and painting them up sounds like reasonable justification to own a model like this.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ineptmule posted:

This guy is so awesome.
He's the exact kind of techno-weirdo I was hoping to see from the start with Ad Mech.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Out of the two lists I like the first better, though I do like your idea of using a Drop Pod to force your opponent into a tricky targeting position. It's also important because otherwise your opponent will just break their Rhino and buy themselves 2-3 turns as Marneus et al. have to hoof it across the table while taking fire. I am a little leery of taking Centurions outside of a transport but it does depend on who you're going up against. At that point level, especially with bringing Calgar, you don't really have another choice. You could also opt to go with a Command Squad instead, to grant FNP to the unit and deliver some anti-tank/MC punch when they dump out of the Drop Pod. Honor Guard are solid close combat models, but have very little ranged damage. If you are forced to drop behind a line of tanks you could really only achieve a couple Glances, versus perhaps outright destroying a model with Plasma/Melta.

I don't know if you have access to them, but if you can find 5pts somewhere the 260pts for Centurions could buy you two Thunderfire Cannons and a Whirlwind. Better range and more versatility, though not as great a punch (if it survives to fire).

Do you mean a Command Squad to attach to the Honor Guard, or just to Calgar? Because I don't think I can get the Command Squad to attach to the Honor Guard, and the Command Squad if I wanted to give them power weapons would actually be even more expensive than the Honor Guard and still come in less numbers without artificer armor or boltguns. If there was an easy way I could get an apothecary into that unit, I would, hopefully in the new codex they become ICs for everyone, not just Space Vampires. On the plus side Calgar can roll on the warlord table 3 times and take my choice, meaning I could stand a very good chance of getting him FnP, or the reroll 1s in melee combat.

As for Thunderfires, they are one of the few things missing from my armory. Down the road I plan on getting them, and I realize they are great cheap artillery that allow me to bring empty pods. I would likely take one over the dreadnaught if I had it.

Talking however has kind of made me decide to combine the lists. I feel you're right about the Centurions, but just thinking of the tournament style I need more bodies on the field, especially to control rear objectives, and more anti-armor.

HQ
Lord Maccrage - 275
9x Honor Guard w/ Chapter Banner and Rhino - 295
Elites
Dreadnaught w/ Lascannon , Power Claw, Pod - 160
Troops
10x Tacticals w/ Melta, Combi, Pod - 195
10x Tacticals w/ Melta, Combi, Pod - 195
Fast Attack
Heavy Support
10x Devastator Marines w/ 4 Lascannons and Pod - 255

Essentially this isn't the nastiest Alpha strike one can make with 1500, but I do have what is the equivalent of 30 Tacticals coming in on turn 1 with tactical doctrine(which I will get twice thanks to Calgar). And all my Lascannons will be rerolling 1's for two turns as well. If I combat squad those Devastators they should be able to cover my rear field objectives, meanwhile the Dreadnaught can either advance or hang back depending on what my enemy does. He isn't exactly a badass, but he is at least tough enough to pose a threat to any vehicle or melee unit that gets close. My only decision at this point is whether or not I should keep the StormTalon, but I can't think of any other Fast Attack that I can get for that cheap, and still bring anything near that firepower.

Half the reason I am trying to shoehorn him in is because I know with the new codex he will become LoW, and thus not allowed at my local tournament, which isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to break up bringing Tigurius everytime.
Also he got a new base.

Also, back to Assassins, I realize they count as a sep detachment, but don't I still need 1 HQ and 2 troops to qualify as combined arms and keep obj secure?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

krushgroove posted:

£75 for box tanks and rules (the new instruction manuals are amazing btw - full color and CAD images throughout)
£12 for the Blood Oath campaign book

I will definitely be heading to WHW someone soon, within the next month or so, and I'd be willing to pick up sets for any goons that want them. No profit or anything. Just pay for the postage (to anywhere) and you too can have a crazy powerful combination of models.

I'd love you long time, just let me know if you want to be paid in fiat money or something else...

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

frajaq posted:

What the hell...is that flesh, in a adeptus mechanicum army???

Nah, it's an animatronic monster hand he got from the ruins of an amusement park. If he closes it the right way it makes sound effects.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Uroboros posted:

Also, back to Assassins, I realize they count as a sep detachment, but don't I still need 1 HQ and 2 troops to qualify as combined arms and keep obj secure?

They're special snowflakes and get their own detachment type. They can't be deployed as combined arms at all since...well...they're assassins.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
For anyone who wants to upgrade their old Knights to the new missile launcher/chaingun and such, there's a dude making these conversion bits on Etsy from resin:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/232742...ef=sr_gallery_8

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Their detachment is a single model and is legal without anything else. When you say "need 1 HQ and 2 troops" do you mean for your other detachment(s)? You must follow the minimum FOC requirements for any Detachment type you use but are not required to bring a Combined Arms Detachment, it simply has some benefits that are nice and is considered the "standard" army list. You could legally field two Allied Detachments, two Assassins, and an Imperial Knight. Any combination is fine.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Essentially, what I want to know is do I automatically lose Obj Sec on my troops if I bring an assassin...the allies and unbound work confuses and enrages me. All I know is I seem to be the only dickhead at these tournaments with Obj Secured.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Essentially, what I want to know is do I automatically lose Obj Sec on my troops if I bring an assassin...the allies and unbound work confuses and enrages me. All I know is I seem to be the only dickhead at these tournaments with Obj Secured.

No, you do not lose anything. The Assassin exists in its own Detachment bubble and doesn't affect your Combined Arms Detachment. It can interact with your units on the table, but each Detachment is purchased and exists separately for the purposes of determining your total army list.

Visual example:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

No, you do not lose anything. The Assassin exists in its own Detachment bubble and doesn't affect your Combined Arms Detachment. It can interact with your units on the table, but each Detachment is purchased and exists separately for the purposes of determining your total army list.

Visual example:

I see now. Thanks.

I could bring an assassin instead of a StormTalon...hmmmm.

• Locked thread