Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

Unless I'm totally mistaken (and that's certainly a possibility) we never actually found out who Silver Ballz was.

You're not mistaken - it's a pretty sizable plot hole that they left open in favor of Grin and Garrett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Silver Ballz was the rear end Crack Bandit.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

Unless I'm totally mistaken (and that's certainly a possibility) we never actually found out who Silver Ballz was

I was hoping it was going to be Pierce. I keep expecting a cameo of a past group member but I doubt it's going to happen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Looked like the Dean when he was on the stairwell.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The opening was supposed to be Highlander, right?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If you go back and watch the intro, Silver Ballz kinda sounds like Kumail and it wasn't a white hand on the trigger. As for why his paintballs weren't silver at the end - he did run out of ammo during the cafeteria shootout?

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Ok that was one of the first legit hilarious episodes in a long time.

DoctorWhat posted:

i ship anne/abed after every paintball episode

Punch Card posted:

the five seconds where Kumail makes fun of how Danny Pudi can't pass for (part) Arabic.
Basically agree with all of these.

There were still some bad non-jokes, (Koogler's whole schtick, the Dean's awkward moment was dragged out and Abed's punchline with no joke at the end...) but there were also funny ones again! Even just Chang immediately getting gunned down was a great beat. Plus a nice little arc with Frankie and Jeff, and some cool action! The Cap 2 inspired Dean fight was amazing.

It's nice to be positive about the show again. :unsmith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved the Captain America homage with Dean in the elevator.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I thought the "punchline-only" joke was funny, but I think I'm just easily amused by things being meta. It's like they know they're in a TV show!

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

VagueRant posted:

If you go back and watch the intro, Silver Ballz kinda sounds like Kumail and it wasn't a white hand on the trigger. As for why his paintballs weren't silver at the end - he did run out of ammo during the cafeteria shootout?

You make a good point and I think you're more than likely correct--still, it seems odd that they'd make the choice to switch out the color of his paintballs right at the moment where we actually start to see him shoot. In real life, sure, you run out of ammo and you'll grab somebody else's and keep going. But in a show, where every choice is a deliberate one, the fact that we never see Lapari actually shoot a silver paintball seems weirdly deliberate. I mean, check out the scene where Annie and Abed get shot by silver paintballs. Isn't it a little odd that we don't get a shot showing Lapari firing at them?

In favor of your interpretation, Silver Ballz does use a yellow gun, like Lapari. Then again, so do like, a third of the people on campus.

I dunno. The feeling I get (if we assume that everything in the show was done on purpose and none of these things were mistakes [though they totally could be]) is that what's being set up here is the strong implication that Lapari was Silver Ballz, and that in the last episode we're going to get some revelation, perhaps relating to some of the other weird little things going on in the background of this season. So that when you go back and watch this episode again you go "oh I totally didn't notice that before! He really never actually shot a silver paintball! Wow, they really did plan for it to be Ruffles all along!"

Again I think your interpretation is way more likely. But the espionage theme of this episode has me paranoid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Troy was Silver Ballz. It's all a setup for the movie.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

According to Reddit.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Frankie 1
Annie 2
Britta 3

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VagueRant posted:

There were still some bad non-jokes, (Koogler's whole schtick, the Dean's awkward moment was dragged out and Abed's punchline with no joke at the end...) but there were also funny ones again! Even just Chang immediately getting gunned down was a great beat. Plus a nice little arc with Frankie and Jeff, and some cool action! The Cap 2 inspired Dean fight was amazing.

I really liked that he still used his golden gun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dave Angel posted:

Frankie 1
Annie 2
Britta 3

Ha, yeah.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Does anyone else still get confuse that Frankie isn't actually Monica off of Friends?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CelticPredator posted:

I loved the Captain America homage with Dean in the elevator.

I thought it was Die Hard 3 ?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Could be that too. I just made the Cap connection because of the Russo Brothers.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Best episode, weakest tag.

Great season.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The tag was funny until Vicki showed up.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I think my favorite joke was one of the codenames being Voice of Diedrich Bader, though I was pretty surprised there wasn't a Conroy. (or Voice of Conroy?)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

XMNN posted:

Does anyone else still get confuse that Frankie isn't actually Monica off of Friends?

No, because I'm not face-blind.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I really liked that episode even though I figured the paintball gimmick would've been stale by now.

I'm a huge doofus though and I'm still laughing at Keith David's 'I made a stinky.' The mismatch between voice, delivery and line is killing me.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The opening was supposed to be Highlander, right?

Yeah, I totally got that impression too.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

VagueRant posted:

According to Reddit.

Of course Reddit gets all spergy about it instead of just re-watching the opening and listening to what is very clearly Kumail doing his gravelly-tough-guy-with-a-slight-lisp voice. Dude's got a pretty distinct voice/accent.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
So, uh, who won paintball this time? There was apparently a 'big cash prize' that maybe got put up by City College, but...?

It sure was nice of the writers to have Jeff explain that he liked Frankie, rather than trying to rely on her winning personality to charm the audience. Otherwise we might be a little concerned that she threatened to fire faculty and staff on a whim, forced teachers and students to wear baby bonnets and read humiliating statements to herself (in her position as an administrator), and expelled Alex 'Star Burns' without a hearing.

If I had to make one real criticism, it's that even with a premise like, "Oh man! That group of TV characters is playing paintball at a school! And there are scenes that look sorta like scenes from action movies!" the jokes don't actually write themselves. You have to write the jokes. Otherwise, you get an episode of a comedy show that doesn't have jokes and isn't funny, just like this episode.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
The trailer for Dr Ken looks like poo poo

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Crindee posted:

Of course Reddit gets all spergy about it instead of just re-watching the opening and listening to what is very clearly Kumail doing his gravelly-tough-guy-with-a-slight-lisp voice. Dude's got a pretty distinct voice/accent.

Yeah, the second I saw Kumail Nanjiani was in the episode I knew he was Silver Ballz because Silver Ballz has that accent with the lisp that Kumail has, which is why I don't think there's some larger mystery or anything.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Rewatching Parks & Recreation, and I just realized Ben's dad is played by Jonathan Banks.

Now I'm conjuring a crossover universe where Buzz Hickey is Ben Wyatt's dad.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^^ That makes Adam Scott, John Oliver, and David Cross TV half-brothers.

Mustached5thGrader posted:

The trailer for Dr Ken looks like poo poo

You're not making GBS threads me. That looks terrible. I imagine the pitch went like this:

Idea guy:
"Let's take actual medical doctor Ken Jeong and put him in a comedy where he improvs insults toward his patients."

ABC Execs:
"Great idea, but don't forget the laugh track, horribly cliche hospital administrator and nurse. Oh and let's go ahead and saddle the whole thing with a 'dad doesn't understand his kids' subplot because that's always hilarious! Oh, I heard incredibly racist jokes are all the rage these days too."

I mean, I can understand his desire to not play the crazy person... but that was just bad.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 20, 2015

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It may also explain why Ben is so afraid of cops.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Loved the tag. Reilly is hilarious, and it's fun to think all the side characters are pulling lovely scams the way the Greendale 7 8 do.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

VagueRant posted:

According to Reddit.

And reddit's track record with identifying guilty parties in a large crown is so top notch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

And reddit's track record with identifying guilty parties in a large crown is so top notch.

I'm extremely glad I don't know about whatever you're talking about.

Solid episode, I also enjoyed the tag quite a bit. Garrett and Vicki are great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Last Chance posted:

I'm extremely glad I don't know about whatever you're talking about.

Solid episode, I also enjoyed the tag quite a bit. Garrett and Vicki are great.

During the Boston Marathon bombing, people on reddit misidentified someone as the bomber and then people listening to the police feed decided the police said his name over it. (They didn't) The kid they misidentified was really depressed, missing, and had killed himself. People on reddit were patting themselves on the back for solving the case. They also found his Facebook profile and decided his old status updates were clearly clues to the crime.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ETB posted:

Rewatching Parks & Recreation, and I just realized Ben's dad is played by Jonathan Banks.

Now I'm conjuring a crossover universe where Buzz Hickey is Ben Wyatt's dad.

You mean a universe where Mike Ehrmantraut went on to work as a fixer for a drug kingpin to pay for his gay son's wedding.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Spacebump posted:

During the Boston Marathon bombing, people on reddit misidentified someone as the bomber and then people listening to the police feed decided the police said his name over it. (They didn't) The kid they misidentified was really depressed, missing, and had killed himself. People on reddit were patting themselves on the back for solving the case. They also found his Facebook profile and decided his old status updates were clearly clues to the crime.

And that's why SA is the only forum I use.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I loved this episode. I assumed SilverBallz was the Deputy Custodian from about the first time we were introduced to the character, and I think that holds true. Then again, SilverBallz could just be a MacGuffin.

Doesn't matter. I loved this episode, especially Frankie's attitude toward paintball. "It was fun for awhile, but now, mommy's home." Her character is probably becoming my favorite, although Jeff instinctively being badass, something he can't turn off, was great.

The Dean accidentally killing everyone in the elevator (except for the last one, which looked purposeful)? Priceless. Dean even got some quality time (as in, not-butt-monkey time), and was joking with Jeff while they tracked down the DC.

XMNN posted:

... Not really. I don't think they look all that much alike.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

tarlibone posted:

... Not really. I don't think they look all that much alike.

Its uncanny how they both have black hair and are white.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Racism is alive in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anyone elae disappointed they went with voiced by Diedrich Bater? Kevin Conroy will always be the coice of Batman to me.

• Locked thread