Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Goofballs posted:

Why is Haesteinn cool?

He is almost like playing an adventurer since with the event troops, free boats and 500 ducats at the start of the game it is really easy to pack your poo poo up and go somewhere else.
Then on top of all that you still have your prepared invasion.

He's now also one of few unreformed pagan starts that isn't tribal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Groogy posted:

Exactly what are you interested in? Do you want a full breakdown on what gets converted or do you want to know the actual evaluation of the conversion?

If I can quickly hijack this for a moment, how do you mod the converter now? It used to be in text in the common folder, but now it's a zipped up and I'm not sure where to put the files to mod it, directory-wise.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
In my most recent game I started as the duke of Holland in the Charlemagne start and tried to become independent as soon as possible. Managed to grab most of the kingdom of Frisia before pushing my independent faction while the realm was fractured by a bunch of wars. Took about 5 tries of waiting for the AI to do something dumb so I don't get stomped by a 10k blob.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

chippocrates posted:

Is there a synopsis of what exactly the EU4 converter uses to convert a CK2 save over?

Not really, just be aware that it doesn't understand title localization so most likely Norway wont appear in EUIV but a custom nation called Norge will be there, with either Norwegian ideas or get stuck with Carolingian ideas :psyduck:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

catlord posted:

If I can quickly hijack this for a moment, how do you mod the converter now? It used to be in text in the common folder, but now it's a zipped up and I'm not sure where to put the files to mod it, directory-wise.

If you are modding it you create a folder called eu4_converter in the root of your mod.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Groogy posted:

If you are modding it you create a folder called eu4_converter in the root of your mod.

Thanks!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm streaming this wacky start I did when I first started playing this game where I ended up making Jerusalem into Ireland and Ireland into Jerusalem.

https://www.twitch.tv/daltos

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Any tips on playing 1066 Bolgar start? They're tribal Muslims surrounded by pagans who keep kicking my rear end.

Also I invited a holy man to court and his name is Pagan Pagan.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Any tips on playing 1066 Bolgar start? They're tribal Muslims surrounded by pagans who keep kicking my rear end.

Also I invited a holy man to court and his name is Pagan Pagan.

I think the game is trying to tell you something here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Goofballs posted:

Also if you start a game as a vassal character is there a way to identify on the map what your territory in the kingdom is like for example with independent realms view if you want to visual see what your space is as a king.

During the game you can look at the "direct vassals" map if your liege is independent (it doesn't help if you are a duke under a king who is vassal to an emperor for example). It will show you all your lands.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

In my most recent game I started as the duke of Holland in the Charlemagne start and tried to become independent as soon as possible. Managed to grab most of the kingdom of Frisia before pushing my independent faction while the realm was fractured by a bunch of wars. Took about 5 tries of waiting for the AI to do something dumb so I don't get stomped by a 10k blob.

That is almost exactly the game I'm playing now. I formed the Kingdom of Frisia, but eventually I had to get subsumed into the HRE so I didn't get angrily invaded and stomped out. So now my Frisian king is trying to make things work for him under the current Emperor.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I kinda want to try being a vassal. I have never played a game where I wasn't independent (well except 1066 Duchess of Tuscany but the HRE / Italy is kind of a clusterfuck where everyone does as he drat well pleases, besides I got independent very early on)

What's a good start and tips for a proper vassal game? I want to scheme and fight my way to the top. I'm thinking France something?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Volkerball posted:

That was the complaint right after CM came out. They patched it probably before Way of Life, and it hasn't been like that since.

Maybe I'm just unlucky then, but all my recent games have had super stable Abbasids. Even my current game where I've been pecking away at them every time they show even a hint of weakness they've remained completely intact.

I actually don't mind this for the most part, since I kind of look at them as semi-endgame content (and I'm playing the Byzantines, so having an existential threat next door has made the game interesting), but I can see how it'd be super frustrating for folks trying to play as a Jewish ruler, or the Zunbils, or the Zoroastrians.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TorakFade posted:

I kinda want to try being a vassal. I have never played a game where I wasn't independent (well except 1066 Duchess of Tuscany but the HRE / Italy is kind of a clusterfuck where everyone does as he drat well pleases, besides I got independent very early on)

What's a good start and tips for a proper vassal game? I want to scheme and fight my way to the top. I'm thinking France something?

My first vassal game was Duke of Athens, vassal to the Byzantine Empire. Worked my way up annexing land from muslim states when they were weakened (they wont attack you back because that means attacking the empire) and blobing smaller dukes around me, eventually factioning for lower crown authority when necessary. Became King of Greece and finally made myself emperor. It was pretty fun.

Ever since, I almost always start as a vassal duke or count, it makes for a more "complete" CK2 experience IMHO.

EDIT: as for general tips, I would include:

- get big before going independent if your region is full enemies (different religion etc)
- expand outside when you cant expand inside. Its actually safer to strike foreigner countries when you are a vassal and they wont attack you to recover their lands because your lord is too strong for then
- but expand inside whenever you have an opportunity, and always be strongest vassal no matter what it takes
- make friends with other strong vassals
- help you lord with your own troops when he is defending against real powerful enemies. Like Ive used to help the emperor against the Abbasid everytime and that was decisive for preventing the empire from being destroyed before I could take it for me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 20, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I think the game is trying to tell you something here.

Is that I should not be playing Bolghar?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
769 Abassid has a lot of really fun vassals in it. Take it over and then convert to Judaism or something silly.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TorakFade posted:

Play as like the Duke of Toulouse or something, either of the two duchies on the French Mediterranean coast (in 1066 one is technically HRE). The coastal provinces have large holding slots options, it's relatively easy to clean up the start situation and consolidate, the inner mountain provinces aren't a big deal, you can creep into Italy, and you're kind of able to play favorites on the HRE or France as you like. Eventually form Aquitaine if you want but if you want to just take France generally it's pretty easy as you're far away from Paris but quite strong so your liege will probably lean on you and rely on you and that's a good way to start worming heirs into his line of succession.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I had some fun earlier playing old gods for the first time as the guy who takes over Russia. He started with a massive martial stat so i didn't think I needed the war focus and with gavelkind and upping the centralisation I had endless room for demense and vassals so I went with the seduction focus which I thought was very amusing (I got the life focus pack as well). Rugrat or whatever his name has conquered and hosed everyone in Russia and got the lewd nickname.

Kind of concerned things are going to go to poo poo when he dies though. Gavelkind drama and lots of different religions are going to make poo poo weird. I've only raided a place once and got like no money from it so going forward money could be an issue too. Maybe I need to rob rich people or something and not some other bunch of tribals.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Groogy posted:

Exactly what are you interested in? Do you want a full breakdown on what gets converted or do you want to know the actual evaluation of the conversion?

Both I guess. More specifically, how is tech converted? Do royal marriages carry over? How does it handle accepted cultures? If you have a vassal Pope (or if the Pope is gone), does that carry over or wreck the reformation events? Any other key things that carry over?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had a fun game as the Duke of Lancaster in the 1066 start.
Help your liege fight off the invasions, but keep him just weak enough that you can take a run at the throne yourself.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

TheBlackRoija posted:

He is almost like playing an adventurer since with the event troops, free boats and 500 ducats at the start of the game it is really easy to pack your poo poo up and go somewhere else.
Then on top of all that you still have your prepared invasion.

He's now also one of few unreformed pagan starts that isn't tribal.

That looks pretty fun, if the current game collapses unpleasantly as I suspect it might I'll give him a shot next. Assuming I don't figure out what my obvious missteps were.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

chippocrates posted:

Both I guess. More specifically, how is tech converted? Do royal marriages carry over? How does it handle accepted cultures? If you have a vassal Pope (or if the Pope is gone), does that carry over or wreck the reformation events? Any other key things that carry over?

Tech is converted based on a world median, if you are on it by a certain delta value you get eastern tech, if you are above it you get western and if you are below it you get muslim (Except some special cases). Royal marriages are not carried over. It does not handle accepted culture because that's something calculated by EU4 at runtime. The proper state of the Pope will be converted over, how that affects reformation events I am not sure.

It will carry over pretty much everything except the development of the provinces because I couldn't find anything I was satisfied that would keep the game interesting so I made it keep the EU4 baseline instead. But it still does some interesting things with like for instance the Holy Roman Empire and so on. There's still more improvements planned for it as CK2 and EU4 develops, its never gonna be a finished project until those games are finished as well...... so pretty much never :haw:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Norse Pagan Karling daughter of a pope:

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Groogy posted:

Tech is converted based on a world median, if you are on it by a certain delta value you get eastern tech, if you are above it you get western and if you are below it you get muslim (Except some special cases). Royal marriages are not carried over. It does not handle accepted culture because that's something calculated by EU4 at runtime. The proper state of the Pope will be converted over, how that affects reformation events I am not sure.

It will carry over pretty much everything except the development of the provinces because I couldn't find anything I was satisfied that would keep the game interesting so I made it keep the EU4 baseline instead. But it still does some interesting things with like for instance the Holy Roman Empire and so on. There's still more improvements planned for it as CK2 and EU4 develops, its never gonna be a finished project until those games are finished as well...... so pretty much never :haw:

As long as it saves me the trouble of assigning provinces to certain tags, I'll be happy. I can make the other changes myself.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's Hilarius :v:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, I decided to try a Muslim Republic of Canarias, because being able to hold all three types of holdings without penalty seems like a cool thing to do. Started in the Charlemagne starting date to give me more time to play around.

Basically, since I reformed and finished building a castle and a mosque in the Canarias I'm swimming in money. Decided to vassalize myself to the Umayyads for protection. I've already built a bunch of trade posts but I just realized that apparently seizing cities in counties where your republic has trade posts is no longer a thing? Oh well, time to do it the old-fashioned way by fabricating claims on everything.

Also, the Byzantines got hosed in this game. The Bulgarians invaded, first taking Greece, leaving the Byz weak enough for the Abbasids to grab a bunch of land from them. As of now the Byzantines are reduced to a bunch of islands in the Mediterranean as well as the occasional coastal province in Sicily and Serbia, while the Bulgarian blob basically broke into bits upon succession as the last Khan was way over vassal limit, meaning that a bunch of his Greek and Bolghar vassals in Greece declared independence upon his death.

The Abbassids blobbed hard, subjugating Africa and invading Cumania, but now they're basically falling apart since they got hit, at the same time, by a Catholic revolt in Tunis, a Tengri revolt in Cumania, a liberation revolt for Armenia AND the rise of the Shia in Persia. All of these wars are going very badly for them. I guess the AI is really bad at coordinating troops in multiple wars?

Oh, and Karling fun: a couple of generations in, Charlemagne's realm is now split into West-East-Francia-Aquitane and Middle-Francia-Burgundy-Bavaria. The latter has gone elective save for Bavaria which is still Gavelkin, so upon the current king's death the realm is going to split down further. The former... well, the current 30-year-old King of West Francia, East Francia and Aquitane has been in hiding since he was a kid (that is, before he took the throne) and has never bothered to come out of hiding. This means that he's unmarried and without an heir. For some reason his successor is a Visigoth who traces their lineage to Pepin the Hunchback, but because Pepin never got legitimized his dynasty is not Karling. So, that's fun.

Also, I got the Necronomicon as my first ruler. That was neat.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 21, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm curious if the game will make her an antipope when the current one dies. The game treats anyone with a claim on the papacy as an antipope, but I don't know if claims on the Papacy are actually inherited by children since legitimate children of popes are so rare that I've never actually seen it happen. The chain of events required for it to happen are insane enough, but I can't even image what crazy sequence must have occurred for that character to exist.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm curious if the game will make her an antipope when the current one dies. The game treats anyone with a claim on the papacy as an antipope, but I don't know if claims on the Papacy are actually inherited by children since legitimate children of popes are so rare that I've never actually seen it happen. The chain of events required for it to happen are insane enough, but I can't even image what crazy sequence must have occurred for that character to exist.

I think they fixed the last way that could happen (offspring born after pope died).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ratpick posted:

So, I decided to try a Muslim Republic of Canarias, because being able to hold all three types of holdings without penalty seems like a cool thing to do. Started in the Charlemagne starting date to give me more time to play around.

Basically, since I reformed and finished building a castle and a mosque in the Canarias I'm swimming in money. Decided to vassalize myself to the Umayyads for protection. I've already built a bunch of trade posts but I just realized that apparently seizing cities in counties where your republic has trade posts is no longer a thing? Oh well, time to do it the old-fashioned way by fabricating claims on everything.

You can still seize cities in provinces you have a trade post in, just not from characters in the same realm as you. That means all lands already under the Umayyads are off-limits for this, but the rest is fair game.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've got a Karling problem. I'm playing as Denmark and reformed the faith. Europe has been holy warring me back from the county conquests I've made. I lost Zeeland, so Norse MA is down and Catholic is at like 100 I think. None of the other pagan faiths have reformed and most are still tribal, so it's basically just me as the bulwark against Catholicism. Trouble is, basically every kingdom in Europe north of Spain is held by a Karling, so I can't go to war with any one of them without going to war with all of them (which I can't win). Is there anything I can do to break up this Karling blob? Life would be a lot easier if they were fighting amongst themselves and not united against me.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've got a Karling problem. I'm playing as Denmark and reformed the faith. Europe has been holy warring me back from the county conquests I've made. I lost Zeeland, so Norse MA is down and Catholic is at like 100 I think. None of the other pagan faiths have reformed and most are still tribal, so it's basically just me as the bulwark against Catholicism. Trouble is, basically every kingdom in Europe north of Spain is held by a Karling, so I can't go to war with any one of them without going to war with all of them (which I can't win). Is there anything I can do to break up this Karling blob? Life would be a lot easier if they were fighting amongst themselves and not united against me.

I'm no expert, but in my experience using Intrigue to kill members off of a prominent dynasty will lower their levy total. If your way outmanned and that's not an option, youre probably gonna just have to look to expand a different direction and deal with them later when youre stronger.

I'd love to hear a super long-con strategy or something along those lines, but that's my best answer

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Off the top of my head, but grab a Catholic concubine, convert, seduce every woman in every court throughout Europe, start cranking out Assassination Plots against prominent Karlings, wait for the inevitable Karlmageddon, convert back to Norse, invade.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So the OP hasn't been updated in like two years and it's been a while since I've played this game: is CK2+ the preferred mod or have people moved on to HIP or something else?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Clanpot Shake posted:

Ive made this exact game once.

In my case, Ive expanded fast to the east using holy wars against other pagans, grabbing a lot of land, while avoiding attacking Karlings. Ive also expanded over england, always divided in little duchys. and where the Karlings will rarely try to defend.

So when the Pope finally called a crusade for Bohemia, I had enough troops to drive then out.

And eventually, they will start breaking apart and attacking each other. And they will also probably go for crusades, specially against the Ummayad, and will probably lose. And when they are weakened by those wars and/or are fighting each other, its the time you strike then.

There is probably smart stuff you can do with intrigue and marriages, but that whats worked for me: expand fast everywhere else while leaving the Karlings alone, only defending when they attack you. Attack then only when you are strong enough and they are weakened or at each others throat.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 21, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nakar posted:

Play as like the Duke of Toulouse or something, either of the two duchies on the French Mediterranean coast (in 1066 one is technically HRE). The coastal provinces have large holding slots options, it's relatively easy to clean up the start situation and consolidate, the inner mountain provinces aren't a big deal, you can creep into Italy, and you're kind of able to play favorites on the HRE or France as you like. Eventually form Aquitaine if you want but if you want to just take France generally it's pretty easy as you're far away from Paris but quite strong so your liege will probably lean on you and rely on you and that's a good way to start worming heirs into his line of succession.

I did exactly this, and 1 year into the game my liege sent me to command my levies against the HRE despite me having like 6 martial. Died in battle straight away, my lovely brother inherited (only the duchy title and 1 county since gavelkind), and the king promptly made him lead another army, another 6 months and I get wounded in battle. All the while everybody is plotting against me, making factions for seniority and so on and I have not enough power to tell them to stop, let alone do anything since everybody hates me for being a new ruler with a tiny demesne.

Oh the joys of being a vassal :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
When I did it my Martial was high enough that the Emperor made me his Marshal (despite not being the best candidate) and then went to war with all of Italy.

My guy lived unharmed, because as Marshal he was sent to Train Troops in Frankfurt and couldn't lead his own levies, which were butchered in North Italy. Thanks, boss!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is there any point to being on your leige's council?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

If you have high intrigue and want to kill them, yes.
If you want to kill them or are in a plot to kill them, sorta.

If you just want good relations with them , I guess that's an option if you play that way.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
If you have the ambition to become a counselor, you get +1 to the relevant stat of that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

No. Do it once purely for the stat boost (if you have the relavant ambition), and then immediately resign from the council and ignore every offer he makes to join it. If you're in the council, not only can he station you wherever, but imprisoning you seems to have a 100% success chance. And lieges are assholes who love to take your titles.

• Locked thread