Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Do most of you have a bunch of games that are either unopened or unplayed? The deal I made with my SO was that I would buy no more than 1 game a month and not buy any new games until i've played the ones I already own. Actually works well to make sure I only buy games I think i'm going to play and get good mileage out of them. I was wondering if anyone else did something similar.

I currently own no unopened games, but I do have one unplayed -- Eminent Domain. I usually end up with unplayed games because I pick them up on sale, which was the case with ED.

Unless you count wargames in which the unpunched/unstickered/unplayed count goes... way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I try to make it a point to play all the games I own. This is a hobby where it's easy to chase the cult of the new or have a shopping addiction so I just look and see what I haven't played in a long time and suggest that.

However, I know people who buy every drat kickstarter game and whatever else is new. I hope the shopping stimulation is worth it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

rear end in a top hat player update, and relevant to the discussion about teaching games.

Played Castles of Mad King Ludwig for the first time, we were all a little shaky on the scoring rules but we figured we'd just muddle through a game and figure out as we went. But nope, not him. He had to fully understand the game from the start, so his turns took foreeeever. I think it took us 2-3 hours to play one 4 player game? And he didn't just have to understand the rules, he had to understand the strategy from the start as well! And he'd get huffy every time he tried to score because he couldn't understand it!

Augh!

Annoying. Should have just scored, told him why, and moved onto the next builder. First time is always a throwaway game for any new game I play.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I used to have a board game shopping addiction and I bought far too many games till I realized what I was doing in december 2013. Since then I've bought maybe 10. I have many many games unplayed, a few unopened. I'm trying to play everything and then sell the ones that aren't long term keepers.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The Super Competitive And Wants to Win Their Learning Game archetype can be pretty frustrating. If they feel that strongly about winning the first game, then read the rules and watch the videos. I personally read the rules for everything because I'm kind of that guy but not slow and unreasonable :smug:. Although this obviously requires letting them know what they'll be playing up front.

That said, this can be a by-product of the We Only Play New Games and Often Only Once type of group.

Anyways I have a bunch of unplayed games but we learn one heavy game or two mid weights a weekend. Depending on how good they are, we either play those a few times that weekend or just play other games we know. Have occasional encore weekends too where we just play the gently caress out of games we really like. I'm in a breadth wide traversal of the different games that have come out over the last couple years since I lapsed a bit. So I'm not too worried about the debt because unless something significant changes I'm learning and playing the games faster than I'm acquiring them at this point and honestly I kind of want to take advantage of this opportunity with people that into learning games with me. I expect some games will go unplayed until later this summer and that's fine.

That said, I keep games in shrink that I don't anticipate playing in the next 7 days, in case I decide to sell/trade/gift them.

I went on a binge recently with a big order of card games and filler to see if there's something we really like out there. So far Linko/Abluxxen, Frank's Zoo and Red7 have been hits.

One type of game that I'm leery about now, when it comes to rotting on a shelf, are games that only play well with a very specific high player count, like GoT and Rex.

E:

admanb posted:

I currently own no unopened games, but I do have one unplayed -- Eminent Domain. I usually end up with unplayed games because I pick them up on sale, which was the case with ED.

This in addition to things being OOP leads to buying games that I might not play for a couple months. This also includes filling a big order at cardhaus/csi, because often the price there might as well be a sale. Or watching ebay/geekmarket for fair deals on something oop that I might not play immediately.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 20, 2015

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

bobvonunheil posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about Alchemists? It seems to be climbing the ranks on BGG and of course we all love CGE but I'd be interested if anyone here has given it a shot.

I like it quite a bit, but it's absolutely critical that everyone using the app during the game has the same version. (Apparently, they changed the algorithm at some point, which could lead to everyone unknowingly playing separate games.)

The experiment mechanic is really fun, and there's a real sense of satisfaction as the pieces start to fall together throughout the game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

One type of game that I'm leery about now, when it comes to rotting on a shelf, are games that only play well with a very specific high player count, like GoT and Rex.

I solve that problem by not picking up games that only work with X player count. Unless it's something you know you get routinely its just not worth a yearly play.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We play a lot of new games but we try and then play those games again, but it seems like a lot of the games we try, he either just forgets everything he learned about the rules from week to week, and/or activly tries to sabotage the game if he doesn't like it. He told my friend that if he can't win what's the point in playing, which is like totally the opposite of everyone else. He's just kind of a big bundle of sour grapes because of life stuff too so I don't know.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about Alchemists? It seems to be climbing the ranks on BGG and of course we all love CGE but I'd be interested if anyone here has given it a shot.

Alchemists is a great game. It is a good logic puzzle/worker placement hybrid with great art and components however the game is HORRIBLY COLORBLIND UNFRIENDLY.

The blue and green alchemical symbols can be hard to distinguish for someone who has any trouble distinguishing blue or green at all.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So a friend of mine bought Mage Knight and is letting us borrow it for a time. I have just one question:

how do i git gud?

So far, I've done the intro scenario and a full game after that months ago, and then just the other day me and my roommate did Volkare's Quest (the one where he tries to get to the portal) and just barely won on the last round. Last night I did the rulebook solo scenario and also just barely won on the last round. Both of these were on the easiest settings in the book. What's some advice, and what are common pitfalls that will snowball into my losing? Like, I don't mean rules things like "remember you can play cards sideways", I mean how should I approach the different sites, how much Move/Influence/etc. should I be looking to add to my deck, what Tactics are generally more useful, that sort of thing.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

We play a lot of new games but we try and then play those games again, but it seems like a lot of the games we try, he either just forgets everything he learned about the rules from week to week, and/or activly tries to sabotage the game if he doesn't like it. He told my friend that if he can't win what's the point in playing, which is like totally the opposite of everyone else. He's just kind of a big bundle of sour grapes because of life stuff too so I don't know.

This is where people ask you why you continue to play with the guy, it sounds like he's clearly making the entire thing unpleasant, and cutting him from your group isn't without merit.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I think Alchemists is alright. The components and concept are both very solid, but I'm worried that a few early lucky combinations can make it difficult for other players to catch up. There's also a couple of tier 1 items that are a little suspect to me (periscope).

I need to play it a few more times, but I just get this uneasy feeling about it being good. Something also feels "off" about the worker placement part of it that I just can't quite put my finger on.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

haven't played it, but i've watched a couple plays. the app integration stuff is cool, but otherwise it looks like just a standard WP. pretty innovati ve game idea though

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This in addition to things being OOP leads to buying games that I might not play for a couple months. This also includes filling a big order at cardhaus/csi, because often the price there might as well be a sale. Or watching ebay/geekmarket for fair deals on something oop that I might not play immediately.

Oh yeah -- I guess I've never played my copy of Dungeon Lords + xpack, but when I realized it formed a perfect free shipping cart with the Dungeon Petz expansion I couldn't resist.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Trasson posted:

So a friend of mine bought Mage Knight and is letting us borrow it for a time. I have just one question:

how do i git gud?

So far, I've done the intro scenario and a full game after that months ago, and then just the other day me and my roommate did Volkare's Quest (the one where he tries to get to the portal) and just barely won on the last round. Last night I did the rulebook solo scenario and also just barely won on the last round. Both of these were on the easiest settings in the book. What's some advice, and what are common pitfalls that will snowball into my losing? Like, I don't mean rules things like "remember you can play cards sideways", I mean how should I approach the different sites, how much Move/Influence/etc. should I be looking to add to my deck, what Tactics are generally more useful, that sort of thing.

I think there are basically four common newbie pitfalls in Mage Knight, which are:

1. Undervaluing movement
2. Undervaluing units.
2. Not taking wounds
3. Overvaluing reputation

You need to add movement cards to your deck in any longer game. Depending on the card, you may not need to add more than one - but you should add one. Having a way over lakes or the ability to speed across the board is deceptively powerful and can make a difference in terms of timing your assaults.

You need to keep all of your unit slots filled basically as soon as you get them. A unit is essentially a card that's always in your hand. Even characters that gain small benefits from not using units still want them. If you're wound-averse, you can at least get a unit injured and then buy a new one at the next town.

It's also important that you are willing to take a hit or two to kill something now instead of next turn. Taking one or two (or even three or four, for certain characters) isn't the end of the world. Basically any time you're on a magical glade and aren't using the free healing ability you're playing inefficiently.

Finally, burn things. Loot towns, destroy monasteries, capture keeps, etc. You want to have a high enough influence that you can buy things, sure, but unless you're playing Narowas there's no point in trying to keep it at or above 0. Artifacts are enormously powerful cards, and pulling two cards from a village can make all the difference, especially in the early game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sloober posted:

This is where people ask you why you continue to play with the guy, it sounds like he's clearly making the entire thing unpleasant, and cutting him from your group isn't without merit.

I knew a guy like this a long time ago. Not as bad in the ways the poster stated but bad in other ways (easily frustrated, sore loser, etc). I cut gaming ties with him and joined some other game group of strangers just to have fun. I hadn't completely severed with the guy and it came up that on Sundays I had plans because I played with some group I found.

He asked to come.

I thought about it.

Thought maybe it would be different being guests in some other group (it was not).

That was the last straw and I ditched the guy completely after that.
I realized I was getting literally nothing I wanted out of the relationship.

Sorry if the guy I introduced went on to completely ruin your game group, group of people I didn't know that well from 20 years ago :(

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Besides the deduction part, nothing about it really sticks out to me, and how good your deductions are is really luck based anyways, depending on what ingredients you draw. Not a bad game, but not great either. The app is cool, but I wish the mechanic was used in a more interesting game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Impermanent posted:

It's also important that you are willing to take a hit or two to kill something now instead of next turn. Taking one or two (or even three or four, for certain characters) isn't the end of the world. Basically any time you're on a magical glade and aren't using the free healing ability you're playing inefficiently.
The way I describe this to new players who are afraid to take wounds, they're basically making a choice:

They can either a) take a wound (or three) and have their “useful” hand size reduced a short while until they can get cycle a healing card into the deck or move to a glade, which will happen soon enough, or b) keep saving a healing card (since one will inevitably be cycled into the deck and they want to keep it just in case) and/or a couple of extra movement cards so they can go to a glade and/or a good set of block cards so they don't get hit… which will reduce their hand size by the same amount or more.

Getting healing as needed after the fact clogs up the hand far less than taking all the precautions required to avoid wounds.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I'm pretty good about getting my games played, I try not to buy too many at one time or before I've played everything from the last bunch I picked up and fortunately my wife also enjoys most of what I like so that helps. The only ones I haven't gotten to the table yet are Dominant Species from a few months ago, but just haven't had an opportunity yet, and Polis which I just picked up a couple weeks ago. I don't know how some people can put shrinked games on their shelves for months, I love opening them up and checking out the components right away.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I used to have a lot of games that had gotten played only a handful of times in my collection. And most of them were never going to see the table again. Luckily my local game store had a used game garage sale event and I managed to offload a bunch of games for a fairly reasonable amount of money. The downside was that I had a bunch of store credit and got sucked into X-Wing.

I am looking forward to the same event this year to thin down my collection a bit more.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sloober posted:

He's sort of friends with other people in the group beyond just gaming and also he brings his wife who is not awful and basically it would be difficult to excise him from the gaming group.

Knowing people is just the worst.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I'd like to pick up a good gateway game to play with some non-gamer friends and I was thinking about good old Ticket to Ride. Am I better off going with one of the newer versions over the original? Do they improve on the game at all or just add clutter? I've only played the original a couple of times.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions, that would be welcome. I'm looking for something longer than Love Letter that doesn't involve bluffing or traitors.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Medium Style posted:

I'd like to pick up a good gateway game to play with some non-gamer friends and I was thinking about good old Ticket to Ride. Am I better off going with one of the newer versions over the original? Do they improve on the game at all or just add clutter? I've only played the original a couple of times.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions, that would be welcome. I'm looking for something longer than Love Letter that doesn't involve bluffing or traitors.

You could always pick up Carcassone. That is another game that is fairly easy to teach, and doesn't last overly long. Don't forget that table talk is allowed in the game, so feel free to encourage people to lobby for tile placement. It can help to keep people engaged when it isn't their turn.

While the base game is good, be careful in adding expansions. The Traders & Merchants expansion, and the Inns & Cathedrals expansion both add just a little bit in te way of mechanics, and help to fill out tile designs that are lacking from the base game. Those two are considered the good expansions. The rest of the expansions are generally considered not good, either they add a lot of useless fluff, or they needlessly bog down the game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Original TTR is perfectly fine for newcomers. Carcasonne and Dominion are also both great beginner-friendly games.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

bobvonunheil posted:

The chap in my group who played it described it as Cluedo with an app.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Dominion!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FISHMANPET posted:

He's sort of friends with other people in the group beyond just gaming and also he brings his wife who is not awful and basically it would be difficult to excise him from the gaming group.

It really isn't that hard. Invite the people you like to a game session off of your normal night and don't invite him. Be sure to tell the others you aren't inviting him and why. If they take issue with your reasons, uninvite them.

"He is sort of friends with other people in the group beyond just gaming and also he brings his wife who is not awful." These are not strong arguments to keep someone who sabotages games when he can't win.

Life is short. Way too short to put up with assholes. gently caress that guy and gently caress anyone that defends him.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Indolent Bastard posted:

It really isn't that hard. Invite the people you like to a game session off of your normal night and don't invite him. Be sure to tell the others you aren't inviting him and why. If they take issue with your reasons, uninvite them.

"He is sort of friends with other people in the group beyond just gaming and also he brings his wife who is not awful." These are not strong arguments to keep someone who sabotages games when he can't win.

Life is short. Way too short to put up with assholes. gently caress that guy and gently caress anyone that defends him.

Alternately, if he's not a complete rear end in a top hat who you want to cut out of your life entirely, maybe talk to him face to face about the problems he's bringing to the table?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mercilessly cull your gaming group and social circle at every opportunity. Don't waste your time trying to change people because they never will and there is an endless supply of other people, lots of whom are not poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Scyther posted:

Mercilessly cull your gaming group and social circle at every opportunity. Don't waste your time trying to change people because they never will and there is an endless supply of other people, lots of whom are not poo poo.

This guy gets it

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I picked up the Space Alert expansion earlier and I'm getting way too much glee out of these little badges. Can't seem to find a copy of Tradegy's Looper in the UK though after a quick search, I'll have to do some more hunting tomorrow and call places up because it sounds really cool.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Benly posted:

Alternately, if he's not a complete rear end in a top hat who you want to cut out of your life entirely, maybe talk to him face to face about the problems he's bringing to the table?

Your plan sounds unlikely to succeed.

FISHMANPET posted:

Played Viticulture again last night, after we picked turn order for the first year, one of the players, whose played 2 or 3 times now but keeps asking "what should I do now?" decided there were two many choices and ragequit.

Still trying to get a finger on him as a player. I don't think he likes playing games, he just likes solving them and winning them.

FISHMANPET posted:

He loves Domionion, but only because he's played thousands of games and has basically solved it. I hate Dominon playing with him, and find it enjoyable playing without him. But basically yeah, kind of a tool. I tried to bring Steam to the group and I'm not sure how other people felt about it, but he kept torpedoing and ruining the game for everyone rather than just saying "I'd rather not play this."

FISHMANPET posted:

I absolutely loathe games like the Resistance, especially in my Tuesday group. Ironically, because of that same player, he has to "solve" every round and man if I wanted to unwind with Malaysian logic puzzles I'd just be a Malaysian elementary schooler or something. Although with that game I actually can't even be around it because just hearing him play makes me seathe with rage hotter than the fire of a thousand suns.

There have been a few game nights where we accidentally just didn't play any games and instead hung out and abused the Chromecast for stupid youtube videos, and after the fact talking with a friend and we kind of agreed that if Tuesday game night is actually hanging out time, we'd really rather not just hang out with that one guy.

:) Hey Dave, you know how you have to "solve" every board game or else you hate it and act like a sulky jackass?
:reject: Yeah.
:) Could you stop doing that and just have fun?
:reject: No.
:( OK then...

Sure he might actually acquiesce, but the part about "talking with a friend and we kind of agreed that if Tuesday game night is actually hanging out time, we'd really rather not just hang out with that one guy." makes that seem like a moot point.

Just sever and never look back.

Scyther posted:

Even if you intended this as a joke, you are still correct.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

playing with coworkers is subtly harder in this respect

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

playing with coworkers is subtly harder in this respect

Don't dip your pen in the company ink.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just tell specific people about a time and date and then don't mention it to others. Games have player limits, so inviting everyone just doesn't work. People seem to be aware of this.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

I just tell specific people about a time and date and then don't mention it to others. Games have player limits, so inviting everyone just doesn't work. People seem to be aware of this.

But we have to include everyone in the game!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I still don't actually understand that guy's complaint about "solving" Resistance, since he never expanded on it afaik and that seems like being mad that someone is attempting to "solve" Consulting Detective instead of just picking a murderer after visiting a handful of leads. If your games are lasting 3 hours that's one thing (I had dinner with someone who confessed that this has happened to her before) but I can't imagine not attempting to math out what people are every turn.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Even if you intended this as a joke, you are still correct.

If you think there's any chance that was a joke, you don't know me at all.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I played Resistance once in the past and I didn't really mind it because it was a light fun game. Playing it with this guy who has to deduce with 100% certainty every round what everyone is. And I don't think that's always possible. And so it ends with "well if he does this then he's blank but he knows i'll think that so he must be a blank but he knows i know he knows so he's..."

Maybe Resistance is 100% "solvable" but if that's the case I don't want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Resistance is great fun I'm amazed someone can ruin it by trying to figure it out.

Admittedly I love being a backstabbing oval office in games which is why I love BSG.