Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

Is there a way to disable the paragraphs of text beneath the minimap telling you how to do your quest?

There is an HUD option in the options to turn that off, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Poetic Justice posted:

There is an HUD option in the options to turn that off, I believe.

Thanks. It was some 'active quest' option in the HUD options. There are so many little options I'd wished they would have had an interactive picture or something telling me what each of those things was.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So I started this up this morning to fiddle with the graphics and it somehow is 10 hours later, I blew off a day of uni and am still playing.

I have not had this in a very long time, I'm very happy with this game.

Question tho: is there a barber in novigrad?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I set my difficulty to the third level--blood and broken bones or something--and I think I only just gained a level. I proceeded to get loving destroyed by the griffin, getting like 3-hit while doing middling damage. I'm underleveled, right?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Son of Rodney posted:

Question tho: is there a barber in novigrad?

Ya go north from the main square to the next bulletin board, there's a barber right across the street. It'll show up as some scissors on your minimap.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Solartide posted:

Let's talk about Gwent.

The spies look great. They come on to the field on your opponents side, but you get to draw 2 cards when you play it, card advantage. My opponent played one on me, added a 1 power guy on my side for 2 cards, that's pretty good value.

But I got another card- Decoy, and this is amazing. When things look bad like they just dropped a power doubling card and suddenly their swordsman row alone is pushing 56, I can decoy in a guy for the next round. When my opponent dropped a spy on my side, I could decoy the spy and it gets put into my hand.

I wonder if you can decoy a decoy repeatedly to "pass" a turn without actually passing.

There's a legendary spy card worth zero points. That's ridiculously powerful. Add no points to your enemy's total yet draw two cards.

Also, I've seen a Iorveth card that is worth ten and can't be affected by special abilities. I saw both of those in the same game. I never stood a chance with my mostly standard Northern deck. At least now I know that buying all the cards you come across is worth it. Gwent is way better than dice poker.

I can't remember who it was, maybe it was the Baron - but there's a guy I played that had a deck at least 50% composed of spy cards. This basically let me win the first round and then he wiped the floor the other two.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

About the quests sometimes not having any good ending, I know of at least one that came out feeling pretty good. Devil in the Well First you put a haunted spirit to rest and you save a little girl's life. You can even do it for free so she'll still have a dowry.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Welp, found a merchant out in the middle of nowhere (Straight east of Mulbrydale) that's bugged. I ask him to show me his wares and nothing happens.

edit: Also the merchant in the middle of Blackbough has disappeared. Merchants don't seem to like me.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Skunny Wundy posted:

this is the only game i've played all year that has shown a rabbit humping another rabbit.

GOTY for sure.

Going to be hard to get bored of the hysteric shrieks of the peasantry when someone sees a wolf run across a road chasing a rabbit. Best part is that if someone is actually under attack they are basically all "gently caress you. Go away." half the time afterwards if you save them.

I saved some rear end in a top hat who was literally being savaged by a horde of Nekkers that decided to swarm out of the forest near a town and he just spat at me and muttered the word "Witchers." in an angry tone of voice afterwards. loving ingrates. :argh:

Edit: Also, the fact that the AI has actual behaviors like this is great. Peasants go to work in the fields. Wolves hunt prey animals at night. Nekkers set up shop in the woods and apparently slaughter the peasants if they get too close to the woods. Etc, etc.

I've been making a habit of tracking the monsters using my senses to see how some of them behave. It actually can create situations where I can manipulate the surroundings to my benefit. Case in point, luring a bunch of drowners into a garrison or patrol.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 20, 2015

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like a lot of the poo poo Geralt gets is because curse breaking is around half his workload and that invariably means dragging every skeleton out his employer's closet just to find out what the local monsters deal is.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Holy poo poo, I just unexpectedly ran into an old acquaintance. Warning, quest/story spoilers ahead: You get to help Letho fight off his pursuers and fake his death. Afterward, you have the option of saying goodbye or telling him to go to Kaer Morhen. I wanted him to go to Kaer Morhen so there's a chance to meet him again, but I somehow can't help but think doom will follow in his wake.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
The best way to fight mobs that outlevel you (human ones, anyway) is by cleaving through them with multiple passes on Roach. You can hold down your attack key to ready your weapon and charge at them with time slowed down. It's loving awesome.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Who Dat posted:

Oh Prima released an interactive map app for iOS and Android (tablets only I think) It looks nice as you can track and check off completion of objectives and such, get info on areas etc. don't think it has a bestiary though, which would be infinitely more helpful.

If you're just looking for the super-basic information for all the question marks on the maps, this one is under four dollars, by virtue of being a website that is free.

http://www.ign.com/maps/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/velen-novigrad

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

What's wrong with my computer's that's causing some cutscenes (two so far) to chew down to 20fps for their duration, meanwhile every other cutscene runs at 60fps? And I mean hard locked to 20 fps, it didn't even move below or above (I have the shadowplay fps overlay on always)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Not really, I beat the Griffin at level two at the same difficulty setting with a half-broken silver sword (didn't pay attention to my durability, oops). Patience pays off when fighting large enemies.

Maybe I used the wrong sword or something. I actually have no idea how to control which sword is being drawn.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What's the best way to bring up to my wife that I want my own lubberkin?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So when I'm fighting wraiths, apparently I can easily sidestep the sword swings, but their lantern swings are sidesteppable?

This game's combat is so loving weird. Finnicky.

ilifinicus posted:

What's wrong with my computer's that's causing some cutscenes (two so far) to chew down to 20fps for their duration, meanwhile every other cutscene runs at 60fps? And I mean hard locked to 20 fps, it didn't even move below or above (I have the shadowplay fps overlay on always)

It could be cinematic depth of field, if there's an option like that. Try turning that off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

What's the best way to bring up to my wife that I want my own lubberkin?

Define it carefully so she doesn't slap you.

Drifter posted:

So when I'm fighting wraiths, apparently I can easily sidestep the sword swings, but their lantern swings are sidesteppable?

This game's combat is so loving weird. Finnicky.

You have two dodges. One is a sidestep and the other is a dodge roll. The latter is what you need for bigger heavier swings.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

Go to bin/config/base and find visuals.cfg. Set cutscene framerate higher and turn off oversampling.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So in bit of beautiful design, earth elementals take about four times the damage from strong attacks that they do from fast. They still have around 20,000 HP though. At least Souls will be a piece of cake after that hour of dodging.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ilifinicus posted:

This is just a guess but there is (at the least) a cutscene specific depth of field option, that's what I would try first.

efb 2x :doh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

You have two dodges. One is a sidestep and the other is a dodge roll. The latter is what you need for bigger heavier swings.

Is a ghost swinging a lantern its version of a heavy swing? wut.

Thank you. That'll be quit helpful in general in the future if that's how the dodge mechanism works.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Archimago posted:

The best way to fight mobs that outlevel you (human ones, anyway) is by cleaving through them with multiple passes on Roach. You can hold down your attack key to ready your weapon and charge at them with time slowed down. It's loving awesome.

Horse combat is so satisfying; charging in for one slash then wheeling around and charging back through... it's helped me a lot with whittling down a few higher level mobs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

Is a ghost swinging a lantern its version of a heavy swing? wut.

Thank you. That'll be quit helpful in general in the future if that's how the dodge mechanism works.

"Heavy Swing" might be an inaccurate way to describe it but at least as far as I am (which is admittedly not super-far!) anything that has a wide arc or a 'heavy' feel needs to be rolled, anything that is a quicker slash can be sidestepped. I don't know how that scales to the late game.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I tried to turn off the UberSampling and increased 30fps cap limit to "cinematic cutscenes", let's see if it fixes anything once I encounter another one.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a way to help figure out where the plants you need to make items grow? I want to make oil before I fight some buff rear end monster but I need X plant and I have no idea where to get it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Solartide posted:

Let's talk about Gwent.

The spies look great. They come on to the field on your opponents side, but you get to draw 2 cards when you play it, card advantage. My opponent played one on me, added a 1 power guy on my side for 2 cards, that's pretty good value.

But I got another card- Decoy, and this is amazing. When things look bad like they just dropped a power doubling card and suddenly their swordsman row alone is pushing 56, I can decoy in a guy for the next round. When my opponent dropped a spy on my side, I could decoy the spy and it gets put into my hand.

I wonder if you can decoy a decoy repeatedly to "pass" a turn without actually passing.

A 1 power spy is much better than the 5 power one you can buy from the innkeeper at the start of the game.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Has anyone found a good way to handle item durability? Seems like weapons in particular wear down pretty quickly and repairing your gear at a blacksmith is very expensive so far.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

I set my difficulty to the third level--blood and broken bones or something--and I think I only just gained a level. I proceeded to get loving destroyed by the griffin, getting like 3-hit while doing middling damage. I'm underleveled, right?

There is a recommended level listed in the journal for some (major?) quests. It's level 3 for the griffin. You can still beat it before that, of course. And for the record, I found it pretty drat challenging even at level 3.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Is there some guide around that explains the backgrounds for the witcher 2 choices you can make?

I've played both witcher 1 & 2 only to the half point and completely forgot every character and story elements, idk who letho, roche and what have you are.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So my inventory is fast getting clogged with random notes and such like the burned papers and soggy papers and notice board notes. Can I safely toss them or are they used for stuff later?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Magical Zero posted:

Has anyone found a good way to handle item durability? Seems like weapons in particular wear down pretty quickly and repairing your gear at a blacksmith is very expensive so far.

It's a pain in the rear end, and I'm not liking it one bit.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Magical Zero posted:

The cost gets less onerous as the game goes on because as far as I can tell it doesn't scale. An item always seems to cost the missing durability percentage in coins to repair (ie an item with 50% durability always costs 50 to repair), and that's just a much larger amount of your cash at the start of the game. I thought the durability was pretty bonkers as well until I realized that. Now I'm pushing level 8 with over 1000 in the bank and it's manageable.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

MinibarMatchman posted:

Maybe I used the wrong sword or something. I actually have no idea how to control which sword is being drawn.

If you're on PC, 1 to draw steel sword, 2 to draw silver sword.

My rule of thumb is that if it exists IRL, steel sword.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

MinibarMatchman posted:

I beat the griffin on DEATH level first by cheating (I crossbowed him over a river and he fell in and drowned, but I couldn't collect the trophy that way), then I did it using crossbow/IGNI and staying the hell away from him. I would crossbow so he would crash, then immediately IGNI and back-roll out of there. Dodge until IGNI rebooted, fire again. if he took off, crossbow him back down to Earth. Rinse, repeat. It worked, but barely (I used all my swallow potions), and had a sliver of health left (dodging doesn't always work, camera makes it sloppy during that fight too). I would also run around vesimir hoping that old bastard got in a swing or two (he does zero damage, but he pulls its attention). I was level 3 as well, plus I didn't make the Viper gear yet, either.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Is there some guide around that explains the backgrounds for the witcher 2 choices you can make?

I've played both witcher 1 & 2 only to the half point and completely forgot every character and story elements, idk who letho, roche and what have you are.

Here's an okay video that somewhat explains each import decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_INEnvuPnk

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The cost gets less onerous as the game goes on because as far as I can tell it doesn't scale. An item always seems to cost the missing durability percentage in coins to repair (ie an item with 50% durability always costs 50 to repair), and that's just a much larger amount of your cash at the start of the game. I thought the durability was pretty bonkers as well until I realized that. Now I'm pushing level 8 with over 1000 in the bank and it's manageable.
That's good news, I'm still in White Orchard so 50-100 coins is a pretty substantial sum.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Awesome, thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So my inventory is fast getting clogged with random notes and such like the burned papers and soggy papers and notice board notes. Can I safely toss them or are they used for stuff later?

Anything not in the quest tab can be tossed without losing/failing quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Orv posted:

Anything not in the quest tab can be tossed without losing/failing quests.

Anyone decon Yennefer's note?