Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

When? The mystery she wrote was at least published after.

You can't really go "She wrote one series except for when she did other things afterwards." Also JK Rowling has been very vocal in interviews about how she wanted to diversify and work on new things. She even said she was working on other novels while writing Harry Potter. She is in fact one of the authors who has openly talked about how writing other things helped refresh her energy for her main product and how she was glad when it was over because she could do other things without Harry "taking over."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

You can't really go "She wrote one series except for when she did other things afterwards." Also JK Rowling has been very vocal in interviews about how she wanted to diversify and work on new things. She even said she was working on other novels while writing Harry Potter. She is in fact one of the authors who has openly talked about how writing other things helped refresh her energy for her main product and how she was glad when it was over because she could do other things without Harry "taking over."

Sure you can. She wrote, uninterrupted, a series of books. She, apparently, dabbled in other things on the way, great. She wrote a couple of books after she finished. I'm sure she's glad it's over, like Butcher would be, too. I still want Butcher to write what I want. Now. Not the other poo poo he wants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I'm also thinking of those that write a series, then write something outside the series, but same universe. Think Robert Crais. 8 books in series, then books not in series in name only. Fits your idea of a break, sort of.

Uh. Robert Crais writes television shows and films in-between novels.

torgeaux posted:

Sure you can. She wrote, uninterrupted, a series of books. She, apparently, dabbled in other things on the way, great. She wrote a couple of books after she finished. I'm sure she's glad it's over, like Butcher would be, too. I still want Butcher to write what I want. Now. Not the other poo poo he wants.

So you want Butcher to write shittier books he isn't invested in.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Warbreaker frustrated me. It was enjoyable novel, but it was a bit of a, "Wait, what?" moment when I realised that the main character at the end was completely different from the main character at the start. Perhaps that was the idea. I'm not sure. I believe it's the one he published on his website as he was writing it, so I suppose that approach might have influenced its structure.

The annotations on Sanderson's website make it clear that the main character's 180 was fully intended.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Uh. Robert Crais writes television shows and films in-between novels.

So you want Butcher to write shittier books he isn't invested in.

You only assume the books would be "shittier" if you assume you're correct. I don't assume that, obviously.

Crais work outside novels doesn't interfere with his novel production. If one assumes a need for a creative break, terrific he found one that doesn't stop me getting my fix in a timely way. In fact, since he writes in the genre, I get a benefit from better TV/films. At least he's not writing some steampunk drivel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It would probably get better reception if the reason for the steampunk thing was based on a bet like Alera was.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wade Wilson posted:

It would probably get better reception if the reason for the steampunk thing was based on a bet like Alera was.

I like Butcher enough to read it anyway. I enjoyed Alera, even though I thought it was much weaker than Dresden. He is entertaining even when objectively not very well done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

You only assume the books would be "shittier" if you assume you're correct. I don't assume that, obviously.

Yes, and I would be right.

There is no time or place where any creator does better making something they're obligated to instead of something they want to. Writers are not machines you put money into and a story comes out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and I would be right.

There is no time or place where any creator does better making something they're obligated to instead of something they want to. Writers are not machines you put money into and a story comes out.

Obligated?

I want him to want to write Dresden. So, sure, writing something he doesn't want to probably wouldn't work.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Obligated?

Yes? You're demanding a 'fix.' You're saying you want him to write faster instead of writing what he wants. I'm not quoting you out of context here, you're demanding he write books faster because you want them faster. You care more about the author getting you a book fast than anything else.

Butcher has written more or less one novel a year and a number of Dresden-themed short stories in the mean time. The longest break he had was between Cold Days and Skin Game. Even when he was literally writing another book series he still got a Dresden book out regularly. So you whining about him writing something keeps you from your fix is silly as hell.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? You're demanding a 'fix.' You're saying you want him to write faster instead of writing what he wants. I'm not quoting you out of context here, you're demanding he write books faster because you want them faster. You care more about the author getting you a book fast than anything else.

Butcher has written more or less one novel a year and a number of Dresden-themed short stories in the mean time. The longest break he had was between Cold Days and Skin Game. Even when he was literally writing another book series he still got a Dresden book out regularly. So you whining about him writing something keeps you from your fix is silly as hell.

Jesus, you are a sanctimonious little man (sorry, or woman), aren't you?

I'm not demanding anything. I'm expressing my desire for him to write books I'm interested in. I don't email him, post on his message boards harassing him. I disagree with your premise that "writers" are some single, homogenous group that write the same way, with the same needs. I'd like this writer to be like other writers, and produce what I want.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I'm not demanding anything. I'm expressing my desire for him to write books I'm interested in.

torgeaux posted:

I still want Butcher to write what I want. Now. Not the other poo poo he wants.

When you tell someone to write something now and not do what they want, you are, uh, demanding. Like literally. That is called a demand.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but maybe you don't realize how you're writing?

You admit you're being irrational. You admit that you need your fix. You are saying he should do what you want and not what he wants. I mean none of this is taken out of context, it is literal quotes from you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

When you tell someone to write something now and not do what they want, you are, uh, demanding. Like literally. That is called a demand.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but maybe you don't realize how you're writing?

I agree. Are you Jim Butcher? Wait, even then, that wouldn't be what you're saying. I'm not telling Jim Butcher anything. If I demanded this of him, sure, it would be creating more of an obligation, but even then, not much. One slightly bewildered fan making a "demand" wouldn't great much of an obligation.

ImpAtom posted:

You admit you're being irrational. You admit that you need your fix. You are saying he should do what you want and not what he wants. I mean none of this is taken out of context, it is literal quotes from you.

I realize how I'm writing, but you should note the forum. We're somewhat talking past each other. If I were saying this to Butcher, it would be more akin to your interpretation. I wouldn't think of trying to pressure a writer, for the reasons you note. But I also wouldn't hesitate to note my frustration with the speed of some writers who ARE staying in their lane, so to speak (looking at you Rothfuss) (in this forum).

edit: I hope you're happy. I'm being a dick to some poor Hearthstone guy by not paying attention to them.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I realize how I'm writing, but you should note the forum. We're somewhat talking past each other. If I were saying this to Butcher, it would be more akin to your interpretation. I wouldn't think of trying to pressure a writer, for the reasons you note. But I also wouldn't hesitate to note my frustration with the speed of some writers who ARE staying in their lane, so to speak (looking at you Rothfuss).

So if you wouldn't think of trying to pressure a writer then what exactly is the point you're trying to make? Your frustration is irrational and you admitted it. I guess I'm just confused as to what your point is.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

So if you wouldn't think of trying to pressure a writer then what exactly is the point you're trying to make? Your frustration is irrational and you admitted it. I guess I'm just confused as to what your point is.

torgeaux posted:

Is it just me or do other people resent an author for writing something else instead of the good stuff? I hate and find stupid the steam punk genre, so I really hate the waste of time here. I love Christopher Moore (a name not mentioned much in urban fantasy, but he has some really good ones), but his historical stuff does nothing for me,and I hate every book that isn't his " normal" stuff. I know it's irrational, but still.

I fail to see anything unclear there? Does anyone else experience impatience with an author, the title author here, writing things outside their signature series?

edit: Even you, for instance. Acknowledging that you think it's best an author take creative lanes outside the series, does it make you impatient if such an author writes something you don't care for?

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 20, 2015

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm sure this has been posted before.

Neil Gaiman: George R R Martin Jim Butcher is not your bitch

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mortanis posted:

I don't disagree with any of that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Neil Gaiman posted:

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read...

torgeaux posted:

Is it just me or do other people resent an author for writing something else instead of the good stuff? I hate and find stupid the steam punk genre, so I really hate the waste of time here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

edit: Even you, for instance. Acknowledging that you think it's best an author take creative lanes outside the series, does it make you impatient if such an author writes something you don't care for?

Not at all. I generally feel that I'd rather someone take the time to make something they're happy with instead of getting something out quickly. I'm not lacking in books to read or films to watch or games to play so any specific one taking time to come out doesn't bother me as long as the end product is good.

I also don't mind if something isn't created for me, for the same reason. Not everything has to be for me and I'm certainly not lacking in things that are for me. There are so many books and so many films and so many games that even if I did nothing but consume entertainment for the rest of my life I'd still never run out of things to do. Meanwhile maybe it is for someone who isn't me and that person is happy that they're getting their steampunk Dresden novel. It doesn't hurt me in any meaningful or tangible way so why would I be upset?

9 times out of 10 I'd rather a creator do something they want instead of something I want. The last 1/10th of the time is when a creator goes crazy and writes "Batman should kill all the Muslims" or "Hamlet was caused by the gays" and in that case what it's less "do what I want" and more "Haha, are you serious?"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 20, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And here's a similar discussion, with Sanderson's take in the comments.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

torgeaux posted:

No, because I'm an adult with a job I frequently would like a break from and I realize other adults, including world-famous authors, probably feel the same on occasion.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wow, quoting quotes doesn't do much does it?

See, Neil's conclusion, that it's unreasonable, is the same as mine. I don't have to ask if it's unreasonable, hence my use of the word irrational. It's irritating to me, I guess I'm the only one. That's ok, too.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
That was an intereseting 144 posts. People who got the Paranet papers, how awesome is it? In the timeline its between changes and Ghost story right? Do the formor get more background?

torgeaux posted:

See, Neil's conclusion, that it's unreasonable, is the same as mine. I don't have to ask if it's unreasonable, hence my use of the word irrational. It's irritating to me, I guess I'm the only one. That's ok, too.

This was hard to read... Im okay with an author taking a break on a series. Its their life they can do what they want with it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Exmond posted:

That was an intereseting 144 posts. People who got the Paranet papers, how awesome is it? In the timeline its between changes and Ghost story right? Do the formor get more background?

This was hard to read... Im okay with an author taking a break on a series. Its their life they can do what they want with it.

The Paranet Papers is just an RPG suppliment right? If so, how much input does Butcher actually have on it? Is it considered canon?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Oh man the paranet papers are totally cannon if the previous books are anything to go by. The Dresden Files RPG has so much lore and Dresden/Werewolf boy wrote the book! There are little notes penned by Bob or Dresden and a slight hint about Changes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Kind of disagree with Neil claiming the writer doesn't work for the readers though. The writer totally does work for the reader, they just have a little more freedom in who they work for than people working in different fields.

The trade-off for a writer is that if they make the wrong decision of what audience/boss to write things for, they risk alienating both their original audience and the new one they were trying to gain.

It's easy for a writer like Neil to say the things he says, though, because he literally wrote a short story about putting together an store-bought chair (first short story in Trigger Warning) that was more fun to read than George R.R. Martin's books.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Kind of disagree with Neil claiming the writer doesn't work for the readers though. The writer totally does work for the reader, they just have a little more freedom in who they work for than people working in different fields.

The trade-off for a writer is that if they make the wrong decision of what audience/boss to write things for, they risk alienating both their original audience and the new one they were trying to gain.

It's easy for a writer like Neil to say the things he says, though, because he literally wrote a short story about putting together an store-bought chair (first short story in Trigger Warning) that was more fun to read than George R.R. Martin's books.

He's right though. The writer is not working for the readers. If you're creating (and I mean actually creating, not trying to earn a buck), the act of creating and telling your story is more important to you than the financial aspect. You obviously would like it to sell and for other people to enjoy reading it, but at the end of the day a creator creates for themselves and nobody else.

There are unarguably mercenary creators focused on putting out stuff to appeal to an audience even if they themselves dislike it but almost universally that kind of stuff ends up the lowest type of trash. An author may be critical of their own work but at the end of the day they're not going to make something for their audience over themselves. Doing so tends to work out poorly.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure Sanderson (since we were talking about him earlier) advices that working on something significantly different (Don't write something similar, you'll latch onto that and never go back) when you're feeling low is A Good Idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thyrork posted:

I'm pretty sure Sanderson (since we were talking about him earlier) advices that working on something significantly different (Don't write something similar, you'll latch onto that and never go back) when you're feeling low is A Good Idea.

To be fair Sanderson may actually be a robot created only to write, clothed in human flesh.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Mortanis posted:

Now I feel like a prick for calling Daniel O'Malley names :smith: If you're reading, I'm sorry, Daniel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

He's right though. The writer is not working for the readers. If you're creating (and I mean actually creating, not trying to earn a buck), the act of creating and telling your story is more important to you than the financial aspect. You obviously would like it to sell and for other people to enjoy reading it, but at the end of the day a creator creates for themselves and nobody else.

There are unarguably mercenary creators focused on putting out stuff to appeal to an audience even if they themselves dislike it but almost universally that kind of stuff ends up the lowest type of trash. An author may be critical of their own work but at the end of the day they're not going to make something for their audience over themselves. Doing so tends to work out poorly.

I was talking more in literal economic terms than employer-employee relationship terms. If the writer isn't putting out anything anybody wants to read, they're either going to starve or find another way to make a living.

Also, from a different mildly successful author

John Scalzi posted:

You may from time to time hear the line from writing instructors that one should always write for one’s self, but I think that’s just a load of crap when it comes to writing for money. A lot of times when it comes to professional writing, you may be writing something you have absolutely no personal interest in whatsoever — you’re writing what you’re writing for someone else who has a specific need for the content you create. This is not to say you shouldn’t have an interest in doing a good job or creating eminently readable content no matter what the context. It does mean that when you are writing professionally, you need to be aware of who your intended audience is and what they’re looking for.

Or, to put it more succinctly: Writing professionally is a business. If you want to write professionally, you have to approach writing in a professional manner — which is to say, you have to approach it with the intent of actually making money doing it.

The rest of that article is a pretty good read as well.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 20, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a question, but it's a bit of an odd question. If I was to go on the Book Depository and get the North American version of Foxglove Summer, how would sit on my bookshelf next to the UK versions of the other books published by Gollancz? What are its dimensions by comparison?

:spergin::hf::spergin:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Wade Wilson posted:

I was talking more in literal economic terms than employer-employee relationship terms. If the writer isn't putting out anything anybody wants to read, they're either going to starve or find another way to make a living.

Also, from a different mildly successful author

The rest of that article is a pretty good read as well.

Scalzi has blogged before about how he writes to market, which would be the mercenary type ImpAtom mentioned. I think he covered it as recently as last year, defending the "write what you love" position after an online kerfluffle saying he did it his way and it's just a different approach, not necessarily a commercially superior one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've got a question, but it's a bit of an odd question. If I was to go on the Book Depository and get the North American version of Foxglove Summer, how would sit on my bookshelf next to the UK versions of the other books published by Gollancz? What are its dimensions by comparison?

:spergin::hf::spergin:

The US paperback is going to be smaller based on the dimensions for Foxglove Summer given at Amazon and the dimensions for Moon Over Soho at AmazonUK.

Though if you're already ordering from the Book Depository, why not get the UK edition so everything will match?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I both wish Butcher would just write oodles more Dresden all the time and also understand why he doesn't. I suppose it's a regrettable necessity, like pants, or aging.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I both wish Butcher would just write oodles more Dresden all the time and also understand why he doesn't. I suppose it's a regrettable necessity, like aging or taxes.

hth

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

At least he hasn't decided to double the length of series before going "nahhh, better do some side projects" like GRRM

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mallamp posted:

At least he hasn't decided to double the length of series before going "nahhh, better do some side projects" like GRRM

... Yet.

46 books, here we go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ornamented Death posted:

The US paperback is going to be smaller based on the dimensions for Foxglove Summer given at Amazon and the dimensions for Moon Over Soho at AmazonUK.

Though if you're already ordering from the Book Depository, why not get the UK edition so everything will match?

I've got it pre-ordered on Amazon for when it's out in the UK. I'm on holiday when it's out here and thought it's be nice to have it for the aeroplane trip. Still, no need to be impatient - I have lots to read between now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The thing that consistently strikes me about reader complaints about writing speed is that they seem to dramatically underestimate how much time it takes to actually write a book. Gaiman is a bit out in cuckoo land when says that writers owe nothing whatsoever to their fans and any anger at missed deadlines is presumptuous. There's a core of truth there, though, in that people act like writers should be able to make the book faster by just trying harder.

I once compared the writing speed of Rowling, Butcher, Rothfuss, and GRRM, and they were all pretty similar. (I used published words per year as my metric.) This makes me think that creating a book just takes a person a certain amount of time.