Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Esme posted:

What can I do with goji berries? My mom gave me a bag because she couldn't figure out how to make them not terrible. Can you make real food with them, or are they just a trendy health thing?

e: Wikipedia says they go in congee, maybe I'll try that. I don't think she was cooking them, so maybe that was the problem.

Congee, and Chinesey chicken soups

http://www.neehao.co.uk/2014/03/goji-berry-chicken-soup/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Anybody got a really good lamb vindaloo recipe? Would've asked in the Indian thread but I'm really looking for the firey curry house sort, rather than the more authentic tangy kind.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

rj54x posted:

Anybody got a really good lamb vindaloo recipe? Would've asked in the Indian thread but I'm really looking for the firey curry house sort, rather than the more authentic tangy kind.

I would second this except I'd like the `authentic tangy kind' please.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I had a pork shank braised in coconut milk the other day that was incredible. Are there cheaper cuts of meat that would similarly benefit from braising in coconut milk?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

door Door door posted:

I had a pork shank braised in coconut milk the other day that was incredible. Are there cheaper cuts of meat that would similarly benefit from braising in coconut milk?

Many cheaper cuts of pork. Also chicken. Never tried anything more exotic than that personally.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

door Door door posted:

Your mom could probably bathe in coconut milk and get some pretty sweet results.

(that was a cheap piece of meat joke)

Goat turns out REALLY well, and it's been so long but I remember my uncle doing similar with venison and me really liking that. Bring the milk to a boil before setting it to a low simmer.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 20, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Milk steak boiled over hard is delicious, goes great with raw jelly beans.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I have a rack of Pork Ribs that I would like to cook after a sporting event tomorrow night, but there is nowhere near enough time to actually cook/smoke them on a grill after the game. What is the best way to go about cooking them in advance, and then heating them/cooking them more on the grill when we actually want to eat them? I have tonight to prepare them in advance at home (oven?), then tomorrow I'll go to work, come home, grab them, go to the game, play the game, then set up the grill and hopefully be eating after not too long.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Braise the ribs now, chill them then just grill them to get some char on the outside and warm them up.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Should I sauce them for the oven or wait until they are on the grill?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Always sauce at the very end

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
For most of my life I've been downright disgusted every time I've tried fish or seafood. That fishy taste just cut through even the most garlicy of garlic prawns and made it all taste awful. Then last year I got drunk in Amsterdam and ate a deep-fried prawn without wanting to heave. Since then I've been trying to learn to tolerate and eventually like at least some fish - I've never been a traditionally fussy eater (had a teenage struggle with vegetables, as is the norm, but have always chosen a dansak over a tikka masala, been a proper salami fan and so on - I love strong flavours) but fish has been really difficult for me and I feel like I'm missing out.

I've tolerated prawns a couple more times since, in the form of that layer atop prawn toast and in a poo poo paella - the latter time the texture was grim (overcooked, maybe? They were pretty hard and rubbery) and generally they don't do much for me. I've tried salmon a couple of times and absolutely hate it, so I think I'm ok with accepting a dislike of that. But recently I tried some sweet and sour sea bass at a nice Chinese restaurant, and almost - though not quite - enjoyed it.

So I guess I'm looking for suggestions around not-too-fishy fish, and ways of eating fish to ease me into it to see if I can turn this almost-tolerance into something resembling enjoyment. I've had fish and chip shop cod and haddock before and they were alright for a mouthful, but after more than that the fishy taste returned. Lots of people I speak to don't class a lot of the things I find 'too fishy' as super fishy-tasting, but that's really been my main issue here. I just don't understand fish at all and I'd like to!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Have you tried sushi? Raw fish has a very different texture than cooked fish, and generally doesn't smell "fishy"

Also yes, deep frying is generally a way to make almost anything taste better

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I can't quite stomach the thought of fish sushi. The way that texture looks like it'd be in your mouth grosses me out, and I'm not really a fan of veggie/duck sushi (though I've never had good stuff).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
you mean like sashimi? If it's fresh it is delicious. Nothing like wild sockeye salmon sashimi.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How about smoked salmon? Get yourself a bagel and lox.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Have your fishmoger clean a/some small common sole (s), liberally sAlt and pepper them, then coat them in flour.
Bake in some good butter (dairy butter, cream butter...I'm not sure about the tranlation, sorry)
This doesn't taste fishy, you'll probably love it

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you're doing that much to something, couldn't you just pound flat some chicken or pork and fry it? I don't think there are any particular health benefits to eating fish if you're soaking it in butter and flour.

If you really want to get a nice, subdued flavor, make whitefish in a curry.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Preparing sole a la meuniere is the most classic preparation.
Go complain to the French.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What should I do with a lamb shoulder?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Drink and Fight posted:

Brown it in your dutch oven, then add onions and whatever vegetables you want (like carrots and what have you) to the pot with it after you've deglazed with wine, salt and pepper and put some thyme or marjoram in there, then put the lid on and cook in the oven at 325 for an hour and a half or so, depending on the size of your roast. It will be good.

Another good thing to do is to slice up some potatoes and onions and put them in your roaster with plenty of olive oil, oregano, maybe some dried chiles, and good olives. Put the lamb shoulder on top, and roast really hot for like 20 minutes uncovered, then turn down the heat to like 300 and keep going for another couple of hours until everything is nicely done, also uncovered. Just be careful to not overcook - use your good judgement based on the size of shoulder you have.

Also, if too much of the fatcap has been trimmed off your roast, you may want to wrap it in some caul fat or add some bacon to the top before using the latter method. The first method will not need extra fat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

paraquat posted:

Preparing sole a la meuniere is the most classic preparation.
Go complain to the French.

I'm saying for a guy who doesn't like fish, not as a general dish.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been watching cooking lectures, following recipes, and generally getting more into cooking in the last few months. I've used herbs and spices to make pasta sauces, pickles, saute vegetables, french fries, curries, simple syrups, etc. For the most part I've just been kind of experimenting with no real direction and feel like I don't really know too much about herbs and spices. I'd like to develop a more complete knowledge of them, any suggestions of what to read/watch/do?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

I did this and it turned out really well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWIrf-9_gw

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 20, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

huhu posted:

I've been watching cooking lectures, following recipes, and generally getting more into cooking in the last few months. I've used herbs and spices to make pasta sauces, pickles, saute vegetables, french fries, curries, simple syrups, etc. For the most part I've just been kind of experimenting with no real direction and feel like I don't really know too much about herbs and spices. I'd like to develop a more complete knowledge of them, any suggestions of what to read/watch/do?

I think The Flavor Bible is oft recommended for this?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Our farmer's co-op just sent us a big bag of "braising greens," which I've never heard of before. From the name I'm assuming they're tougher greens that go well in braised dishes?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sounds like bag of random leaves to me. Eat some raw and see how tough or tender they are. If they're like spinach, quick cook. Like collards, long cook.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sounds like bag of random leaves to me. Eat some raw and see how tough or tender they are. If they're like spinach, quick cook. Like collards, long cook.

Oh, warning on eating the raw mystery greens. Some people who have no problem eating cooked kale and other similar greens might have a reaction to raw cruciferous greens. Just keep an eye on yourself for redness or allergy symptoms. It happens to my mom, she can't even touch my turnip greens before cooking.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

exquisite tea posted:

Our farmer's co-op just sent us a big bag of "braising greens," which I've never heard of before. From the name I'm assuming they're tougher greens that go well in braised dishes?

I'm going to assume it's a mix of mustard/collard/kale -- we got this at the resturant all the time from one of our local guys.. we would render some bacon lardons (or just, diced, whatever) and some roast garlic/garlic oil, and cooked them until the greens gave up their toughness. Goes with everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

On closer inspection, it does appear to just be collard greens and chard all bundled up together. Went well with some butter braised sausage and asparagus thing I was already cooking up.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What is the trick to getting flavors to really permeate meat when cooking Thai? I made some beef Prik Khing today, and while the sauce and vegetables were perfect, the beef ending up tasting kind of bland - basically just like tossing raw beef in a pan with some oil. When I eat it at restaurants, the meat totally absorbs the flavor of the sauce, but I'm not sure how to replicate that.

As far as I can tell, Thai cooking doesn't have a basic catch-all marinade like Chinese does, and all of the recipes for Prik Khing that I came across were basically the same: just cook the curry paste in oil until fragrant, then toss in the raw meat and stir fry it, adding the vegetables and other ingredients as you go. Specifically, the meat is unsalted and doesn't get browned, even though that seems like it would be helpful.

So what is the trick here? Is there some kind of marinade that I can use? I know "authentic" preparations can often be a lot blander than what you'd find in a restaurant, but the latter is definitely the flavor I am after and none of the recipes seem to account for it in any way that I can see.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I need some new ways to experiment with lamb and goat, particularly the organy bits. I'm doing anticuchos tomorrow night already and I did liver and onions for last Monday's supper, so something else. I'd like to venture into something I've never cooked before, as well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I tried making baked sweet potatoes tonight, it didn't go well. Or maybe they were yams, how much of a cooking difference does that make? We had a bag of each, and I don't remember which was which. The outside started to get towards burning, but the inside was still tough and stringy. How should I change my approach? I put them in a 400 F oven for one hour, then I ended up putting mine back in for another ~40 minutes. Do I need to chop these into smaller pieces?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I tried making baked sweet potatoes tonight, it didn't go well. Or maybe they were yams, how much of a cooking difference does that make? We had a bag of each, and I don't remember which was which. The outside started to get towards burning, but the inside was still tough and stringy. How should I change my approach? I put them in a 400 F oven for one hour, then I ended up putting mine back in for another ~40 minutes. Do I need to chop these into smaller pieces?

It depends on how you are serving them but I like to do them like baking potatoes. Stab them all over with a fork, rub some oil and kosher salt on them, wrap them in foil and bake at 350 for an hour or so. Eat them with butter, salt and some brown sugar or maple syrup.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It depends on how you are serving them but I like to do them like baking potatoes. Stab them all over with a fork, rub some oil and kosher salt on them, wrap them in foil and bake at 350 for an hour or so. Eat them with butter, salt and some brown sugar or maple syrup.

Thats how I like them. I don't wrap them though...just put them on my little designated potato rack and put them over a pan so the drippings don't get everywhere. Tastes better to me cooking them naked that way. The potatoes, not me!!

My mom used to do the wrapping in foil thing after poking the poor things senseless. That works too, but...i like my way better tbh.

Sweets with butter, real maple syrup or dark brown sugar....so so good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I like to mash up sweet potatoes with some oatmeal in the morning along with peanut butter, maybe a banana and cinnamon. I bake at 450 for an hour and they seem to come out great every time, otherwise I just throw them in the slow cooker overnight and hit them with the immersion blender when I wake up. Perfect breakfast food for long run days. I score the entire potato lengthwise a few times to keep the skin from peeling off in one huge sheet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My wife likes the paleo thing so we eat a lot of egg and sweet potato for breakfast.

I bake a few each week in a covered dish with half a cup of water in it. Bake for 1.5 hrs at 300 and they are super soft and the skins slide right off.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Why wouldn't you microwave them?
Like disco salmon, the only time I put whole potatoes in the oven is if they're uncovered so I get crispy skin.
If they're going covered or wrapped in foil, or to be peeled afterwards, microwave is just as good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fo3 posted:

Why wouldn't you microwave them?
Like disco salmon, the only time I put whole potatoes in the oven is if they're uncovered so I get crispy skin.
If they're going covered or wrapped in foil, or to be peeled afterwards, microwave is just as good.

Mine get crispy skin when wrapped but tend to get burnt if I don't wrap them. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Microwaving sweet potatoes is an acceptable hotfix, but in my opinion you lose the awesome skin crispening and more thorough caramelization from baking that tastes awesome and makes the entire kitchen smell like toasted marshmallows. And why would you want to miss out on that? I never cover my potatoes though, just throw them right on the rack with some tinfoil at the bottom of the oven.