Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nsaP posted:

You have lived less than that dog.

It's not fun unless you can die.

You can die while taking a shower. Or while taking a big dump. Life is super fun, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah you're right, taking a poo poo and a shower is the same as adrenaline junkie activities. You understand my point fully.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
About ten years ago, Mount St. Helens was seeing some activity again. Supposedly you could see this plume from Seattle. Of course, like everyone living here, we had to go up and take a picture because wow pretty or something?

Pretty much every big "mountain" out here is a volcano. Rainier erupting would be a pretty bad scenario, not just because of the ash being produced that much closer to Seattle, but because (my understanding, geologists please point out where I am wrong) the lahars would run right though the south part of the Seattle-Tacoma area (e.g. Tacoma) and it would not be pretty.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah my understanding is that Seattle/Tacoma's catastrophic destruction by lahars and pyroclastic flow are a matter of geological near-certainty

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.

Venusian Weasel posted:

[...]

EDIT: I forgot I found this gem this morning. The first couple minutes of the eruption seen from the summit of Mt. Hood:

Awesome post, and I'd somehow never seen that final picture before, so thank you for that. I believe that's Mt. Adams, though, not Hood. Among other things the angle of the top of the crater there wouldn't make sense with a view from the south.

I highly recommend a visit to the Johnston Ridge Observatory to anyone in the area that's never been or anyone passing through. Well worth the trip.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Leperflesh posted:

I was living in California and going to elementary school when Mt. St. Helens erupted. It was one of the earliest events I distinctly remember watching news footage about. As kids, we were just excited, "holy poo poo volcanoes are cool," but the news coverage was talking about nearby cities coated with layers of ash. One of my friends came back from a family vacation a few months later and he brought along baggies of ash they'd scooped up at roadsides.

Hell yeah, ash-getting buddy

I was in elementary school too when it happened. My aunt and uncle had just moved to Oregon and they sent me a little vial of Genuine Mount St. Helens Ash. My friends and I decided we wanted to make a volcano of our own so we buried the ash in our playground sandbox because we were in first grade and didn't know any better. A few weeks later the school added more sand to the sandbox, presumably by bringing a dump truck over, it doesn't matter, what matters is that we all came to school one morning to find a cone-shaped heap of sand where we'd planted our volcano and knew then that we had harnessed the power that separates men from gods. Mrs. J didn't believe us.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rondette posted:

:siren: Uk goons there is a documentary about K2 on bbc4 right now :siren:

Started watching it, seems good. The bottleneck :gonk:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

About ten years ago, Mount St. Helens was seeing some activity again. Supposedly you could see this plume from Seattle. Of course, like everyone living here, we had to go up and take a picture because wow pretty or something?

Pretty much every big "mountain" out here is a volcano. Rainier erupting would be a pretty bad scenario, not just because of the ash being produced that much closer to Seattle, but because (my understanding, geologists please point out where I am wrong) the lahars would run right though the south part of the Seattle-Tacoma area (e.g. Tacoma) and it would not be pretty.

Tacoma being wiped out by a rushing flood of superheated volcanic mud would be a vast improvement.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nsaP posted:

Yeah you're right, taking a poo poo and a shower is the same as adrenaline junkie activities. You understand my point fully.

Wait, your post was serious? lol

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Venusian Weasel posted:

EDIT: I forgot I found this gem this morning. The first couple minutes of the eruption seen from the summit of Mt. Hood:

I suppose the person in these pictures just sat down to get a steady shot, but I like to imagine that the force of the eruption knocked her on her rear end just after the first photo was taken.

My parents collected Mt. St. Helens ash off their car after the eruption. They live in Oklahoma.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Venusian Weasel posted:

Thank you for this! I remember seeing this in a magazine years ago, and never again. Though as pointed out earlier, I think that was taken from Mt. Adams.

I was apparently in the Cascades near the Three Sisters when all this happened. I don't remember, being a baby.

A few times when I have flown from Seattle to Eugene, or Vancouver to Portland, I forget which, the plane will go right over St. Helens. It's a hell of a sight from 30,000 feet.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Amazing the geology posts. There should be made a geology thread.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
awesome thread

great science, great history, and goofy somethingawful gifs to go with it

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

benzine posted:

Amazing the geology posts. There should be made a geology thread.

No. The geology stuff is cool, but don't gently caress with the mountaineering season/caving thread.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Don't we already have a geology thread somewhere? Somebody could make one otherwise.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Venusian Weasel posted:

This is great, I'm doing the hike from Johnston Ridge to Mt. Adams next month, looking forward to those four volcano views (St. Helens/Adams/Hood/Rainier).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SAL is a cool subforum, y'all.

The Geosciences Megathread - Hammer? No, that's a size reference for my rock pictures

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

But if I go there they'll quickly figure out that I'm actually an idiot.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Also the whole first page is career & academics discussion, not cool poo poo about geology. I'm not sold yet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I haven't read the whole thread. There's some interesting discussion on page two. The spaceflight thread in SAL is amazing (but I always fall hundreds and hundreds of posts behind). I'd like the geology thread to do similar things, but for that to happen, people have to show up and ask geology questions and chat about geology current events and stuff. As long as it's just academics and people asking career questions, it's not going to be that interesting.

Looking at the last couple pages of the thread suggests the "good" kinds of discussions also happen. There's chat about fracking, for example.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
the site itself is a cesspool and the community is pretty crap on the whole but reddit is actually really good for stuff like that. find the right subreddit and sort by best all time and there's usually tons of good stuff, guides, FAQs, etc.

Like after reading the German tourists thing I found my way to the "UnresolvedMysteries" subreddit and have had good train ride reading all week

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Reddit is the exact same as the SA forums. If you just accept what you're given and look at the default subreddits or click on GBS, FYAD or whatever other lovely forum is at the top, you'll be stuck with garbage and think the whole site is filled with retards. When you actually dig down into specific forums and threads, you'll find halfway decent humans that you can converse with.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
This is a pretty cool 70s adventure documentary about some bad rear end dudes kayaking down the Dudh Kosi on Everest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9g8GtJOAo

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

mik posted:

This is a pretty cool 70s adventure documentary about some bad rear end dudes kayaking down the Dudh Kosi on Everest.

Haha that's crazy I just watched the summit and once I finished I was like "I wonder what the documentary about the guys kayaking through the himalayas was called, I want to watch that again"

Seriously it's a really good doc.

e: the youtube video is missing the amazing soundtrack by Tangerine Dream though :(

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah my understanding is that Seattle/Tacoma's catastrophic destruction by lahars and pyroclastic flow are a matter of geological near-certainty

no one will miss tacoma

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I've read about that base jumper dying in Yosemite a couple days ago, but couldn't find his last film, "Valley uprising". Is it out on Netflix, or not released yet? It was mentioned in the article as being released in 2014, maybe just in the states.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

midnightclimax posted:

I've read about that base jumper dying in Yosemite a couple days ago, but couldn't find his last film, "Valley uprising". Is it out on Netflix, or not released yet? It was mentioned in the article as being released in 2014, maybe just in the states.

I have a copy, so it's released yet.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Did either of those 2 dudes have a gopro on? Or are there any pictures of what they hit? The news article I read said they tried to clear a notch, I have no idea what that means.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Sammus posted:

Did either of those 2 dudes have a gopro on? Or are there any pictures of what they hit? The news article I read said they tried to clear a notch, I have no idea what that means.

From some articles and being a mountain dweller myself, I think notches are a part of a sawtooth ridge. Something like this:

"Notch" refers to one of those small notches in the rock. I can't believe they were crazy enough to do that at nightfall. It seems perilous enough in broad daylight.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

xie posted:

the site itself is a cesspool and the community is pretty crap on the whole but reddit is actually really good for stuff like that. find the right subreddit and sort by best all time and there's usually tons of good stuff, guides, FAQs, etc.

Like after reading the German tourists thing I found my way to the "UnresolvedMysteries" subreddit and have had good train ride reading all week

Anything good enough to share with the thread? More like the germans thing, less like X-filesey stuff, I mean.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

For Britgoons, Rondette forgot to tell you you can watch that new BBC K2 documentary online legally here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03td9sc

It is online until Monday 25. Sadly, I don't think the film is available outside of the UK.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

mik posted:

This video is awesome and I feel almost embarassed that those were just kids who set that all up and achieved it. gently caress, I'm only 28 and that was how old the oldest person on the team was.

Also, there's a shot where the camera man is dangling on a rope tied up 50' in the air between two cliffs on both sides of the rivers. How does such a relatively small crew set that up? Like do they set the line up on one side then magically cross a raging river to set it up on the other side?

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Sammus posted:

According to Outside Magazine, there is GoPro footage.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Reddit is the exact same as the SA forums. If you just accept what you're given and look at the default subreddits or click on GBS, FYAD or whatever other lovely forum is at the top, you'll be stuck with garbage and think the whole site is filled with retards. When you actually dig down into specific forums and threads, you'll find halfway decent humans that you can converse with.

cool, can we talk about this reddit website some more in this thread?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Sammus posted:

Almost certainly trying to do something similarly stupid as this:
https://youtu.be/TWfph3iNC-k?t=1m14s

There's flying, and then there's flying in a way that a gust of wind or 2 milliseconds of error in leg positioning kills you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I Greyhound posted:

There's flying, and then there's flying in a way that a gust of wind or 2 milliseconds of error in leg positioning kills you.

why is it that every flying video i see has that song

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
There is footage of the incident:

Dean Potter camera captured deadly jump

Would be awful to see, but illegal wing-suiting is just begging for a closed casket funeral

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Sadly, I don't think the film is available outside of the UK.
It's definitely out there.

I Greyhound posted:

Yeah, there's flying, and there's flying as close to things as you can. I'd love to do that stuff out in the open air.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I Greyhound posted:

In aviation, when you have a "near miss" where a airplane comes closer to another airplane (or a tower, or a structure, or anything else that would cause a crash) you have weeks or months of investigations, people get fired, it's a big goddamn deal and everyone involved does everything possible to understand how it happened and make sure it never happens again.

When you're an rear end in a top hat with a wingsuit, you just go "well, I came extremely close on that one! Heh haha heh" and then just keep doing the same loving things, because LOL YOLO etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Leperflesh posted:

In aviation, when you have a "near miss" where a airplane comes closer to another airplane (or a tower, or a structure, or anything else that would cause a crash) you have weeks or months of investigations, people get fired, it's a big goddamn deal and everyone involved does everything possible to understand how it happened and make sure it never happens again.

When you're an rear end in a top hat with a wingsuit, you just go "well, I came extremely close on that one! Heh haha heh" and then just keep doing the same loving things, because LOL YOLO etc. etc.

Kind of surprised that Shane McConkey hasn't come up yet. He was quite an experienced base jumper (was a famous Mogul/Freestyle skier beforehand) who died because of gear failure. McConkeys thing was, well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrhRf7J-cU

Except one day he got the idea to replicate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEU_A405zA

So he manages to find the quick release bindings they used in that film. They had stopped being manufactured in the 80's and, IIRC, the company went bust around the same time. No new parts were available. Shane bought as many as he could find, and started experimenting.

So now he's skiing off mountains, quick releasing the skiis, and starting the base jump. Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWFTpkDq56U

Basejumping: Not even once.

• Locked thread