Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I'm working on a scavenger hunt in Velen and I wandered into a certain grotto and at the end I come to a wall that glows when I use witcher sight with a weird little symbol over it. Looks like a little sun kind of. Any idea what I need to do here? I've thrown a bunch of signs and bombs at the thing, no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This quest is hosed up but it's cool how it ties in with the others. I really like that about the writing for the quests. It makes so much sense for quests in the same areas to help solve one another. Of course the locals would affect one another.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm working on a scavenger hunt in Velen and I wandered into a certain grotto and at the end I come to a wall that glows when I use witcher sight with a weird little symbol over it. Looks like a little sun kind of. Any idea what I need to do here? I've thrown a bunch of signs and bombs at the thing, no luck.

You get an item that can deal with these on the main quest. More specific: Finding the witch quest

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am really hoping that we get to at least kill a large number of higher up people in the course of this game. You think Letho was bad? I want to go Assassin of "Everyone in Charge of anything more complex than a village".

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Are there any quests in White Orchard that are missable outside of not clearing all the map markers? I saw some folks posting earlier about a low-level quest you can do involving a large dungeon crawl with a witch, is that a White Orchard or Velen quest? I've already moved out of the prologue area and never saw that quest.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone know where the control ini is? I find it really unintuitive that I can't set one button to be my be-all use button. Trying to do it in-game just removes it from one action and assigns it to another.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Anti-Hero posted:

Are there any quests in White Orchard that are missable outside of not clearing all the map markers? I saw some folks posting earlier about a low-level quest you can do involving a large dungeon crawl with a witch, is that a White Orchard or Velen quest? I've already moved out of the prologue area and never saw that quest.

Velen. Main story, can't miss it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Comte, is Bart one of yours?

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
This game is absolutely beautiful. Downgrade or not Im really loving exploring it.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Now I've got a problem. I've got like 40 scrolls and even more books. Are they worth anything? Or should I just dump/sell them?

Also, still having problem with the game minimizing, when I don't use mouse or press a key in a while. Anyone know about this?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bland posted:

Velen. Main story, can't miss it.

Thanks for the quick reply! Cheers.

I really want to take the rest of the day off work to play some more. This game is so addicting. Besides some of the complaints others have posited (chiefly the UI and KBM controls) I really wish there was a Hairworks setting for only the monsters. I don't think it adds much to Geralt's hair but it's absolutely awesome looking on beasts, and really only seems to add extra hair for them whereas on Geralt it does all that tessellation business that doesn't look much better than with Hairworks off. I think I've struck a balance with ini tweaking where I can have all settings on Ultra w/Hairworks on, 1440P with a oc'ed GTX980 and still hover around 35-45 FPS. The low framerate isn't that bothersome now that I fixed the microstutter that reared it's head at sub-40 FPS.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

No Mods No Masters posted:

One tip I saw on Kotaku but haven't had the guts to follow up on myself is that if you drop items on the ground they never go away. If that's true you can just pick a signpost as your stash and drop everything there to unfuck your inventory. Pretty clunky but supposedly it works so far as the writer could discern.

I have, several times had the game crash in inventory not long after picking up something cool. I mentioned it earlier, it's when I'm holding down LT to examine and press B to exit before letting off the trigger. If the game had just saved at a checkpoint and loot was on the ground, that loot would be gone when I reloaded. So like, kill a big monster, pick up the trophy, go into inventory to inspect it, crash, reload post kill checkpoint auto save, loot is disappeared forever. So take that kotaku advice with a grain of salt.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Funkmaster General posted:

So this game somehow stopped workkng entirely. This is on XBONE.

What the gently caress.

Did you try unplugging the bone for a full minute or more and rebooting? It supposedly clears cache and will unfuck a hung game; I have to to do it every couple months when a game gets stuck on "Loading..." (happened with FIFA a couple days ago, in fact).
:xbone:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drifter posted:

The Witcher 3 inventory system is a goddamned loving mess.

It is tho.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Towerful of Mice quest spoilers: I brought Annabelle's remains to Graham, and left his house thinking "Finally, a quest that turned out okay in the end!" Cue Graham's scream scaring the poo poo out of me. Whoops!

I need a Witcher's manual a la Police Quest for the do's and dont's of Witchering.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I'm playing this on a 60 inch screen and sitting less than 10 feet away, but I feel like I need a loving telescope to read any of the text. I just had an eye exam on Monday so it's not just lovely eyesight.

I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the finer details because every time I look up an item and see a wall of text describing it, I'm like "nope."

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
I have created an equipment table from the Prima Guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpFXG3CqUM6S0nA5x6oR8H67TnF_NirRgj1V0FgYy_c/edit?usp=sharing

Right now it doesn't have crafting diagrams and such added quite yet, but it has every armor/weapon in the game on there. I'll add diagrams and stuff Soon(TM).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Towerful of Mice quest spoilers: I brought Annabelle's remains to Graham, and left his house thinking "Finally, a quest that turned out okay in the end!" Cue Graham's scream scaring the poo poo out of me. Whoops!

I need a Witcher's manual a la Police Quest for the do's and dont's of Witchering.

1. Aye, plough the lass

2. Aye, get the coin

3. Try not to blame yourself when everything goes to poo poo :smith:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Drifter posted:

The Witcher 3 inventory system is a goddamned loving mess.

Yeah it's a huge blemish on an otherwise stellar game. Every aspect of it is bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

As someone who has never played the Witcher series before, it's quite overwhelming. I know the basic premise but the world and characters are pretty much new to me. I'm mostly just running around the starting area doing random quests at the moment, taking it all in.

Combat seems like quite hectic, I can't seem to get dodges and rolls working properly, and all the merchants/smiths/etc. items are a blur - it's always the same, I have no idea what to keep and what to sell. Is it possible to gimp my character by making poor choices? Is it mandatory to upgrade my gear frequently?

Don't worry I've played both previous titles twice and I have no idea what's going on in Witcher 3 either. They really don't tell you anything about the crafting or skill system.

MinibarMatchman posted:

easily one of my biggest complaints about Dragon Age Inquisition was the amount of useless loving trinkets and random poo poo you got for crafting a zillion things. what is it with medieval games and giving you metric tons of worthless garbage constantly.

How dare you impugn our devotion to sound, rational garbage-economics? This crapsack world was founded on hard-working medieval garbagemen. Our economy is garbage, has been garbage, and will always be garbage; god bless Temeria.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

GOG release finally can be upgraded to 1.02 nerds

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously though the inventory system is terrible and their only excuse is that the inventory system has been terrible in every Witcher game. The original Witcher required an upgrade to reach terribleness.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

does the inventory have weight? because I've yet to be told I have weight penalties for my inventory.

any inventory without weight is a good inventory

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sounds like this game could use a feature very similar to the collectibles tab from Guild Wars 2. For those who are not familiar, there is a special storage space in that game with a slot for nearly every crafting material in the game. Each individual item slot in the tab can store up to a maximum of 250 of that particular item unless you buy upgrades which increase the capacity by another 250 for each upgrade that you buy. From your character's inventory screen, you can select a UI option that takes every item from your inventory and automatically stores it in this collectibles tab. The items stored in the tab are accessible from any bank and any crafting station. You do not need to remove the items from the tab in order to use them when crafting but you are free to remove them as you see fit anyways.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

ilifinicus posted:

does the inventory have weight? because I've yet to be told I have weight penalties for my inventory.

any inventory without weight is a good inventory

You can carry up to 60 units of weight.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
That first merchant you save in White Orchard sells a very handy satchel that adds 30 more pounds to your inventory(for a total of 90). Bit pricy early on but you should definitely go back and buy it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ilifinicus posted:

But I've been on 1.02 since yesterday?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I found a 70 weight saddlebag in Velen and thank christ for it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Think of all the books and notes you can carry. :shepicide:

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Knew I shouldn't have sold those golden ones in the first game...

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I thin the only rpg to get inventory right was Dark Souls and they basically ignored the problem by giving you a bottomless box.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Archimago posted:

The best way to fight mobs that outlevel you (human ones, anyway) is by cleaving through them with multiple passes on Roach. You can hold down your attack key to ready your weapon and charge at them with time slowed down. It's loving awesome.

also axii totally breaks the game sometimes when you proc the instant kill animation a lot

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Where's the general area I can find that? :aaa:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thin the only rpg to get inventory right was Dark Souls and they basically ignored the problem by giving you a bottomless box.

Clearly you never played any of the Gothic games.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Archimago posted:

I have created an equipment table from the Prima Guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpFXG3CqUM6S0nA5x6oR8H67TnF_NirRgj1V0FgYy_c/edit?usp=sharing

Right now it doesn't have crafting diagrams and such added quite yet, but it has every armor/weapon in the game on there. I'll add diagrams and stuff Soon(TM).

I added most of the diagrams now too. If there's other poo poo you want to see on this let me know.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
My new favorite thing in the game is knocking people off their horse with Aard, stealing their horse with Axii and riding away. :allears:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah it's a huge blemish on an otherwise stellar game. Every aspect of it is bad.

Nothing in this game fills me with as much dread than if I've just killed a ton of monsters and want to sell their brains for cash and I have to go into the inventory to find what I want to sell. It really is a totally awful experience.

On another note, it also bothers me that a Witcher of repute has to buy recipes for most potions and oils. I don't mind crafting them, but even the game made it perfectly clear in that flashback scene with young Ciri that Witchers spend an awful long amount of time doing nothing but memorizing potions/oils/alchemy/monster poo poo. Even worse is the next flashback where Ciri recites and recreates a werewolf oil from memory. But Geralt man, he don't remember poo poo.

Outside of a mod that cleans up the detestable inventory, the next one I want is just one that makes all potion and oil recipes available at the very start of the game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ilifinicus posted:

what? my gog version has been upgraded to 1.02 since release... all my save games have 1.02 on them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It was like that in the first game. You got a recipe, you right clicked on it and you remembered it forever. I don't know why they changed it to something worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Clearly you never played any of the Gothic games.

I tried once.

Delacroix posted:

My new favorite thing in the game is knocking people off their horse with Aard, stealing their horse with Axii and riding away. :allears:

You mean knocking them off with Igni and stabbing them so their screams will end. :black101: I got through quite a bit of the game before I realized I could ride horses that aren't Roach.