Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

b0nes posted:

Any of you planning to get the LG G4? Right now im torn between waiting for the next Nexuses (Nexi?), The G4 and the 2015 Moto X.

I'm like 90% sure I'm going to get the G4 when it comes out. It's either that or the S6 but while I like the Qi on the S6 as well as the prettier build, the better camera, larger screen and removable memory/battery make the G4 a better choice for me. I've had the last two flagship Droids and I'd like to try something different, also I really like me wife's G2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

b0nes posted:

Any of you planning to get the LG G4? Right now im torn between waiting for the next Nexuses (Nexi?), The G4 and the 2015 Moto X.

Still not sure why people are claiming two Nexus phones again...but anyway..

I'm torn between the Moto X (2015) and maybe the next Nexus. If Google's talk of future Google devices after the new Chromebook Pixel having USB Type-C actually happens, that could be interesting to see.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
X-posting from the VZW wireless thread.

Updated to 5.1! Turns out I didn't need to use *#*#4636#*#*. When advanced calling 1.0 was first released I added it to my account in anticipation for 5.1. I'd imagine that's why that dialer code wasn't needed. Although it is handy for manually selecting your network. Much like the old HTC LTE on/off app. Could prove handy for people who swap sims on the reg with an unlocked 5.1 android phone. Trap phone anyone? Anyway, happy to report that simultaneous voice/data works with my play store N6 + advanced calling 1.0. Been missing this a lot since upgrading from my razr maxx hd. Finally no more dropped internet while hotspotting and receiving phone calls.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm torn between the Moto X (2015) and maybe the next Nexus. If Google's talk of future Google devices after the new Chromebook Pixel having USB Type-C actually happens, that could be interesting to see.
I'm reporting what the sites are saying. But it doesn't matter.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

uPen posted:

The difference is they cost money. I have no idea what google would do to purchases you've made when you stop paying for Apps (it's still a dumb name.) Maybe they'll downgrade you to a regular non-gmail google account?

Yeah, I knew it cost money, I forgot they stopped free Google Apps accounts back in 2012 though, I figured you'd just downgrade to that, now who knows?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Not super-important but it seems since the various updates to the HTC One M8 camera, a fun feature is gone?

Before I used to be able to put in a filter, such as sepia, pixellated or whatever. This seems to have gone now? I wanted to send a selfie with my face hilariously distorted but the little box with all the different filters is gone. Has it been moved, or removed completely?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Not super-important but it seems since the various updates to the HTC One M8 camera, a fun feature is gone?

Before I used to be able to put in a filter, such as sepia, pixellated or whatever. This seems to have gone now? I wanted to send a selfie with my face hilariously distorted but the little box with all the different filters is gone. Has it been moved, or removed completely?

When you're in the picture editor you can swipe from the left for different effect categories, you can also scroll the list of different effect on the bottom. I still got filters and all that useless crap on my M8.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is this the right place to talk about Google Now? My weather card used to show forecasts for multiple zip codes (work & home) and now it only shows my current location. Is there a way to change this back that any of y'all know of? Googling has been fruitless.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Verizon test engineer says Android 5.1 coming to the Turbo in mid-June

quote:

Verizon delays on latest smartphones are due to Nationwide HD Voice. We want to make sure Software updates for HD Voice service is acceptable and does not impact voice quality. Verizon is the only company that has nationwide HD Voice in the USA. AT&T just has most metro cities here and there. T-Mobile and Sprint are way behind

AC 1.0 is not just network related. The unique situation Verizon finds itself is having its original CDMA voice network.. Hard for us to dance around between LTE and CDMA to support VoLTE due to best signal strength in different environments. So with each device update, there is usually a few Qualcomm patches to improve that transition and try to cover all possible calling scenarios our customers may face in our network. And also supporting XLTE new bands. Some device updates turn on a new LTE band on a phone that might have been dormant in an earlier software build. 

And Qualcomm is not perfect, so some times when they improve on thing, they break another. So my job and many others in Verizon is to double check all software changes our devices take in... Hence the delay

Motorola is small potatoes on budget compared to Samsung and Apple. Delays are usually due to funding for test verifications on new device software. 

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

Is this the right place to talk about Google Now? My weather card used to show forecasts for multiple zip codes (work & home) and now it only shows my current location. Is there a way to change this back that any of y'all know of? Googling has been fruitless.

Tap your existing google now widget, select the menu from the top left and customise.

Or google "customise google now"?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Blitter posted:

Tap your existing google now widget, select the menu from the top left and customise.

Or google "customise google now"?

Yeah I've checked all those customization options, and tried disabling and enabling weather updates for current location, home, and work, to no avail. These changes are infuriating and the lack of transparency on Google/Android's part is doubly so. Is there even any way to contact them?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

A comment from a Moto X (2013) owner - we were supposed to get Lollipop late last year, everyone is still waiting with very occasional updates. It's not really clear whether Motorola is going to have a good story going forward for Android updates.

Speaking of which - I have the developer edition, what are the disadvantages to rooting?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Moto has been weird with their updates this cycle. My 2014 Moto X (on Verizon no less) got 5.0 back in November but it was advertised as getting Advanced Calling by "the fall". It's now nearly the following summer and still no Advanced Calling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

monster on a stick posted:

A comment from a Moto X (2013) owner - we were supposed to get Lollipop late last year, everyone is still waiting with very occasional updates. It's not really clear whether Motorola is going to have a good story going forward for Android updates.

Speaking of which - I have the developer edition, what are the disadvantages to rooting?

Part of the problem is the fact that Moto IS so stock. When the underlying OS has serious issues and you don't really have resources there to begin with to rewrite core parts of the OS because that's not part of your plan, you are at the mercy of the code that google ships which has been decidedly "not good" for the past few months.

Another issue has been qualcomm. The support for the SoC that's in the 2013 X and MAXX has been...unresponsive according to Motorola. Details are scarce, but I'm going to guess that Qualcommis having issues supporting Advanced Calling on Lollipop versions less than 5.1. So, that simultaneously held back the advanced calling upgrade on the X and the Lollipop upgrade on the MAXX (and every other Moto phone.)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/2...-at-new-moto-x/

Apparently, according to that same Verizon test engineer, the new Moto X will have an SD card and a front-facing flash.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Front-facing flash does not sound like a good idea.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/2...-at-new-moto-x/

Apparently, according to that same Verizon test engineer, the new Moto X will have an SD card and a front-facing flash.

this dude really must not appreciate his job

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

As long as they can keep it from looking gaudy, I would think this would be a big hit with the selfie crowd. Moto should probably work on making the front facing camera on the X not awful before adding stuff though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Counterpoint: http://www.androidcentral.com/first-look-asus-lolliflash

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As long as they can keep it from looking gaudy, I would think this would be a big hit with the selfie crowd. Moto should probably work on making the front facing camera on the X not awful before adding stuff though.

Motorola needs to develop an actual half-decent camera before adding superfluous poo poo like this imho

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My nexus 5 stopped ringing and playing my message tones a couple days ago. All it does for texts and calls is vibrate, even with the ringer volume turned up.

When I adjust the ringer volume, it doesn't make the preview beep sound. However, if I go into settings and select a ringtone, that preview sound works normally.

I thought maybe my phone thought I had something plugged into the headphone jack, but when I play YouTube videos the speaker works normally.

Edit: now no sound works from the speakers... I seriously think these things are purposefully designed to wear out in less than two years.

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 20, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

radiatinglines posted:

My nexus 5 stopped ringing and playing my message tones a couple days ago. All it does for texts and calls is vibrate, even with the ringer volume turned up.

When I adjust the ringer volume, it doesn't make the preview beep sound. However, if I go into settings and select a ringtone, that preview sound works normally.

I thought maybe my phone thought I had something plugged into the headphone jack, but when I play YouTube videos the speaker works normally.

Edit: now no sound works from the speakers... I seriously think these things are purposefully designed to wear out in less than two years.

Are you on 5.1? I've noticed on my Moto X (2014) that, at the very least, Hangouts will stop giving off audible notification tones from time to time. I'm not sure what is causing it but I think it has something to do with bluetooth.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Nexus 4 and 5 5.1.1 OTA Links:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/20/nexus-5-n4-and-n9-lte-android-5-1-1-update-now-hitting-devices-here-are-the-direct-ota-links/

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you on 5.1? I've noticed on my Moto X (2014) that, at the very least, Hangouts will stop giving off audible notification tones from time to time. I'm not sure what is causing it but I think it has something to do with bluetooth.

Well, I just figured out that if I press on the back of the phone below the camera lens, the sound comes back.

Just further confirmation that LG can't make a cell phone worth two shits. I've already had to replace the USB drive, and I don't treat my phones badly. They just sit in my pocket.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Am I crazy or did phones back in the day when front-facing cameras first came out have flashes as well? I mean they sucked but i thought they did.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

Well, I just figured out that if I press on the back of the phone below the camera lens, the sound comes back.

Just further confirmation that LG can't make a cell phone worth two shits. I've already had to replace the USB drive, and I don't treat my phones badly. They just sit in my pocket.

Yeah, there is a connector under that spot which is not seated correctly or the speaker itself is not aligned correctly - I had a similar issue after a screen replacement on mine.

Sounds more like user error from your USB port replacement. Clean and reseat the connector and check the speaker and you should be fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

What implications does this have for their 2014 X?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

hooah posted:

What implications does this have for their 2014 X?

Probably explains why they've held off on the AC update

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

Probably explains why they've held off on the AC update

Which isn't a bad idea. I've been using it a bit on my Nexus 6, and when it works, it sounds pretty good. When it doesn't work, you step back in time 10+ years and start saying "Hello? Are you there? Hello?" a lot. I finally turned it off for now, since I use my phone a lot while driving (sitting in traffic), and it's not smooth when you change 4g towers.

Hilariously, my car hands free reports 1x signal strength in the dash, not LTE, so I have no idea if I can make a call or not!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Which isn't a bad idea. I've been using it a bit on my Nexus 6, and when it works, it sounds pretty good. When it doesn't work, you step back in time 10+ years and start saying "Hello? Are you there? Hello?" a lot. I finally turned it off for now, since I use my phone a lot while driving (sitting in traffic), and it's not smooth when you change 4g towers.

Hilariously, my car hands free reports 1x signal strength in the dash, not LTE, so I have no idea if I can make a call or not!

yeah, it is definitely hot garbage on the Turbo as well

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Alarbus posted:

this_is_hard posted:

yeah, it is definitely hot garbage on the Turbo as well
I specifically asked about this poo poo in the Verizon thread, and everyone was like, "Nope, AC is the loving tits, mang."

I thought it was just my neighborhood's lovely LTE signal. My wife had the same issues on her iPhone 6. I ended up having to turn it off on both of our phones.

I like the idea of VoLTE, but I still need to use my phone to make calls.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Just got a survey asking what I did for my job, with a bunch of mortgage related options and none of the above. I chose none of the above, then it asked me a bunch of really specific mortgage related questions. Like, what the gently caress, Google.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please keep your surveys-for-pennies posts to the appropriate thread in Coupons and Deals.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Images are up too

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mogomra posted:

I specifically asked about this poo poo in the Verizon thread, and everyone was like, "Nope, AC is the loving tits, mang."

I thought it was just my neighborhood's lovely LTE signal. My wife had the same issues on her iPhone 6. I ended up having to turn it off on both of our phones.

I like the idea of VoLTE, but I still need to use my phone to make calls.

T-Mobile had something similar using WiFi instead of cell network and it was complete garbage, it even dropped MMS and T-Mobile said "yup." One of the nice things about having an unsupported phone is not having to deal with that crap.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
A general, and possibly dumb question - how good is Android at clearing up leftover data after an upgrade? I've had my Sony Z1 for about 18 months now, through various updates (running Lollipop now) and I'm constantly running out of space, but I haven't paid too much attention to the amount of space the OS is taking up. Is there a reputable app around to clean up any lingering bits of old 'droids, or is that unnecessary?

Edit: never mind, what I should have been paying more attention to is my cache. One bloody game had managed to cache more than 1GB!

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 20, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...te-coming-soon/

The update inbound for Nexus 6 has only one change, and from the changelog it looks a lot like a fix for that potential emergency dialer problem if you had encryption turned on and you enabled the option to require your PIN to boot the device. If you called 911 from the emergency dial option on that first-boot PIN screen, you could hear 911 but they can't hear you.

It also affected these other devices.

Moto X (1st Gen.)
Moto X (2nd Gen.)
Nexus 6
Droid Turbo
Moto Maxx / Turbo
Droid Ultra
Moto X Pro

Info on the dialer issue

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 20, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please keep your surveys-for-pennies posts to the appropriate thread in Coupons and Deals.

I think you mean the Android Games thread :colbert:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
How can I configure that half-circle that pops up when I press the home button? (I'm on 4.2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

midnightclimax posted:

How can I configure that half-circle that pops up when I press the home button? (I'm on 4.2).

Root and install GravityBox.

Edit: Wait, button? Like a physical button? If that means you have a Samsung then I don't know but I'm sure it will require rooting.